Bilateral PKR Bilateral partial recovery

Range motion on left leg 95 range of motional right leg 90, not bad.
This is fabulous ROM for so early out! Don't push it - just gentle stretches, ice and elevation.

Glad you got your meds sorted. The combination of tramadol and paracetamol can be very effective.

The first chart is for 4-hourly doses and the second for 6-hourly:
[Bonesmart.org] Bilateral partial recovery


If you use this schedule, do check to make sure you're not taking any other drugs that contain Tylenol (Acetaminophen) You need to stay within the safe limit of no more than 4,000 mg of Tylenol in a 24 hr period. If any other medications you're taking contain Tylenol, add their amount into your daily calculations and reduce another of your doses, so you stay within those limits.
 
Thanks so much for the support and advice. I’m finding that tramadol is fantastic for the day time … but depresses my sleep so much that it’s almost an anaesthetic! Going to avoid it before sleeping!
 
Update for today:
1. Woke up with lots of pain after sleeping on my side. This seems like a no-no after bilateral pka
2. Walked about 5m without any crutch whatsoever
3. Pain still bad when meds are wearing off
4. Doing my physio exercises gently and resumed some gentle upper body kettlebell exercises … made me feel positive
4. My rom seems to be ok and continuing to get better incrementally
5. Both knees click every now and again, does anyone know why?
6. Trying to relax into this slow rehabilitation is difficult for me as I’m used to exercising intensely for between 1 and 3 hours each day
 
Update. It’s a week ago now that I had my surgery. The main themes of this first week have been pain, controlling it and a gradual increase in my ability to move. Sleep has been an issue. By now I can walk unaided around the house, make myself tea/coffee and carry it around.

I can get upstairs ok with the aid of a crutch and now find getting in and out of bed ok. As I had both knees done at same time, sleeping on my side has been impossible …. Up until last night! With a pillow stuffed between my knees, I slept with moderate comfort on my side. This feels like progress.

Pain is worst in the mornings and I dread taking my first step… but it wasn’t quite so bad this morning. Progress!

I’ve been taking a measured approach to the exercises prescribed by my physio…stopping when something hurts. Occasionally, when going to sleep, my quad muscle contracts ferociously without me having asked it to do so! This causes immense pain. Anyone else get this?

Hwyl
 
Yes, many of us have quad spasms or "charleyhorses"!
Often a magnesium supplement before bedtime will act to prevent it.... Personally, I also keep a spray bottle of topical magnesium at the bedside to apply and gently rub in as soon as any part of my leg acts up. The bottle wasn't cheap, but it's been there as needed for probably 15 years (minerals don't really have expiry dates)
 
Occasionally, when going to sleep, my quad muscle contracts ferociously without me having asked it to do so! This causes immense pain
Along with Magnesium there is something else you may want to consider trying -
Drinking 4-6 oz of Q-Tonic before bed which is a water that contains quinine.
Read the label as some of the waters do not contain quinine, but quinine flavoring instead.
This really helped my mom.
 
Yes, many of us have quad spasms or "charleyhorses"!
Often a magnesium supplement before bedtime will act to prevent it.... Personally, I also keep a spray bottle of topical magnesium at the bedside to apply and gently rub in as soon as any part of my leg acts up. The bottle wasn't cheap, but it's been there as needed for probably 15 years (minerals don't really have expiry dates)
Haha that’s a fabulous word! Thanks for magnesium rec
 
Occasionally, when going to sleep, my quad muscle contracts ferociously without me having asked it to do so! This causes immense pain
Along with Magnesium there is something else you may want to consider trying -
Drinking 4-6 oz of Q-Tonic before bed which is a water that contains quinine.
Read the label as some of the waters do not contain quinine, but quinine flavoring instead.
This really helped my mom.
Thanks - will definitely try it!
 
Well - just over a week since op and I feel that I've made rapid progress:
  • I'm walking around the house, albeit slowly, without crutches
  • my Rom seems to be improving well (although not measured anything officially, seems like 105 left, 100 right to zero in both)
  • I can do 10 complete leg extensions (with no weights!) both legs
I'm still having difficulty sleeping though, waking frequently and getting very little deep sleep. I still have to take pain meds - especially in the morning. Right knee stiffer than left and clicks a lot!

I did a great deal of vigorous 'prehab' before the op - I feel that this has been very beneficial in my recovery - I'll make a post of my schedule so that others can use it/adapt it or ignore it as they see fit.

Hwyl o Gymru
 
Well - today's been a good day. It's 11 day since the operation and my sleep has greatly improved. Today I succeeded to:

  1. get upstairs without a crutch
  2. do a basic set of kettlebell exercises (just 5 minutes - light swings, plus a few upper body isolation exercises)
  3. go for a 3/4 mile walk along the beach (with walking sticks)
  4. chopped firewood

I hope I haven't overdone it....I'll update tomorrow!
 
Last edited:
I'm impressed - I couldn't walk 1/4 mile for a few weeks!
 
I've stopped taking tramadol today - just sticking with ibuprofen and paracetamol. So far, this has worked out ok....although I'm more aware of my knees than when on tramadol! Don't think I overdid things yesterday. Chopped some more logs for the fire today, which was fun and got my HR up a bit. A friend called round and said that my gait had improved compared with before my op!
 
A friend called round and said that my gait had improved compared with before my op!
Music to your ears, I'll bet. So reassuring for those familiar with us to note these differences.
I was a tad nervous you'd come back today saying Uh, oh! I overdid it yesterday.
Thankfully that's not the case. Yay, you! :yes!: :egypdance:Have a lovely weekend!
 
A friend called round and said that my gait had improved compared with before my op!
Music to your ears, I'll bet. So reassuring for those familiar with us to note these differences.
I was a tad nervous you'd come back today saying Uh, oh! I overdid it yesterday.
Thankfully that's not the case. Yay, you! :yes!: :egypdance:Have a lovely weekend!
Exactly - I'd not really noticed how 'limpy' I'd become!
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom