Guest viewing is limited

Bilateral PKR Bilateral partial recovery

Looks like part of our northern Pacific coast... Beautiful. Great walking!
 
Great to read your knee is doing better! Such a pretty view for your walk.
I hope you enjoy many more soon! :walking:
@penliniaupoenus
 
Just updating in case anyone else is wondering what progress is like after bilateral pkr.

I’m in my 6th week post surgery, I think I’m getting on quite well. My pt stepped things up today and got me doing:

1 barbell squats (although just 20kg …ie just the bar!)
2 leg extensions … which are less painful at last!
3 balancing on one leg for 30 secs at a time…right leg much happier with this than my wobbly left
4 weighted calf raises
5 weighted step ups
6 hip bridges with resistance

I think it was a useful circuit. My rom is now 130 left leg and 120 right….getting there!

Today I managed a 2.6 mile walk….quite slowly but it felt really good!

I’ve started some ‘proto pop-up’ exercises … but it’s going to some time before I have the confidence to attempt a dry land pop-up
 

Attachments

  • [Bonesmart.org] Bilateral partial recovery
    IMG_4080.jpeg
    71.1 KB · Views: 62
Well - week 7. Feel like I'm getting better rapidly. My squats are now up to 45 kg for 10 reps and I can walk at about 22 miles per minute pace. I've still not tried surfing...but I've done a few dryland popups that felt good. There's some nice, glassy 2-4 ft waves predicted for boxing day....If this comes through I'm going to go surfing...wish me luck!
 
8 weeks post surgery and I'm back in the sea.......surfing!!!!

Well, today was the day I ventured back into the water to see if my knees would let me do my favourite thing. Paddling out felt strange and duck-diving took a while to get right again (a weird but mild stabbing pain on each attempt) but I didn't feel too unfit and got out the back reasonably well. My first attempt was a bit of a failure, I popped up to my feet OK but my left leg didn't feel strong enough to support me...so I wiped out! I then waited patiently for a friendly looking wave, paddled into a nice left and managed to pop up successfully and rode the wave for a decent amount of time. I couldn't believe it and haven't felt more stoked for a long time. After this, I managed to ride a few more more lefts and rights until I got too tired and washed in! The session seems to have had an extraordinary effect on my knees as they feel much looser and relaxed since:shrug:.

What a fabulous day.
 
How thrilling to read this! What a wonderful success story! Now, don't be surprised if you swell and have more pain for the next few days. This would be a completely normal reaction after your day today. If so, you know what to do...rest, ice, and elevate!
 
8 weeks post surgery and I'm back in the sea.......surfing!!!!

Well, today was the day I ventured back into the water to see if my knees would let me do my favourite thing. Paddling out felt strange and duck-diving took a while to get right again (a weird but mild stabbing pain on each attempt) but I didn't feel too unfit and got out the back reasonably well. My first attempt was a bit of a failure, I popped up to my feet OK but my left leg didn't feel strong enough to support me...so I wiped out! I then waited patiently for a friendly looking wave, paddled into a nice left and managed to pop up successfully and rode the wave for a decent amount of time. I couldn't believe it and haven't felt more stoked for a long time. After this, I managed to ride a few more more lefts and rights until I got too tired and washed in! The session seems to have had an extraordinary effect on my knees as they feel much looser and relaxed since:shrug:.

What a fabulous day.
Now THAT'S a milestone, and if I were you I'd deem it well worth losing a day to rest, ice, and elevation to know that it's achievable!
 
That is amazing! I'll bet you were very excited to get back into the sea surfing.
I hope you're not feeling any worse for wear today and you're having another good day! Thanks for sharing the update.
@penliniaupoenus
 
That is amazing! I'll bet you were very excited to get back into the sea surfing.
I hope you're not feeling any worse for wear today and you're having another good day! Thanks for sharing the update.
@penliniaupoenus
Thanks Layla - much to my surprise, I’ve had no repercussions from yesterday. My knees feel better than they did before surfing. Waves are too big and unruly to go again today, I’m going to pick my conditions carefully for a while. Still buzzing!
 
Thanks Layla …. Forum has been great support to me. The first few weeks after surgery were very tough…got great advice from people on here and I’m really grateful.

I think I’m doing pretty well, strength recovering and even walking downhill is getting easier. Cycling is feeling good and I did some running on the spot the other day that felt fine! I don’t think I’ll go back to running even though I liked it a lot, you have to consider carefully what you’ll ’spend’ your implant on…for me this will be hiking, surfing and cycling. Surf has been a little too challenging for me to venture out again lately - but looks like there will be some nice fun waves for me to slide on pretty soon
 
Happy Three Month Anniversary!
As we say goodbye to January, I wish you a wonderful February filled with many more walks and cycling to enjoy.
Take good care!
@penliniaupoenus
 
Thanks Layla - things are strange with my knees at the moment. Very painful at times with no apparent reason - although I suspect it might be that I'm back at work ....and sitting down for extended periods.
 
Yes, prolonged sitting still affects my 8 month old knee with painful stiffness. It's by no means unusual to have it last, though sitting tolerance time does slowly increase. I could tell my progress by how many walking breaks I needed during watching a movie!

Are you able to figure out your current tolerance, set a quiet timer for that long, and get up for a two minute walk?

At three months your 1/4 into your one year recovery. It definitely gets better!
 
Thanks for your response!
I believe you are right, penliniaupoenus. It is likely from sitting for extended periods of time which can cause swelling / stiffness. If you're able, get up and walk around for a minute or two each hour, or so and see if it helps.
Happy Valentines Day! :loveshwr:
@penliniaupoenus
 
Yes, prolonged sitting still affects my 8 month old knee with painful stiffness. It's by no means unusual to have it last, though sitting tolerance time does slowly increase. I could tell my progress by how many walking breaks I needed during watching a movie!

Are you able to figure out your current tolerance, set a quiet timer for that long, and get up for a two minute walk?

At three months your 1/4 into your one year recovery. It definitely gets better!
That's a great idea - thanks!
 

Members online

No members online now.
Back
Top Bottom