Bilateral PKR Bilateral partial recovery

Stopped with my tramadol yesterday - though I’ve only been taking it for about 9 days, I’m feeling what I think are withdrawal symptoms - yuck! Feeling nauseous and have flu-like symptoms, runny nose, aching everywhere and an irritating cough. So I’ve decided not to leave the couch much today! Of course it may be real flu or something … I’ll update tomorrow
 
I'm sorry.
Yes, please do let us know how you're doing tomorrow.
I hope you feel better soon.
@penliniaupoenus
 
Well - I think it was withdrawal! No flu symptoms today. Feeling better. But… I’m really struggling with sleep since stopping tramadol….not that it was a direct ‘sleeping aid’, just that the edge it took off the pain meant that I could sleep on my side. Without it, this is difficult …. Don’t know if I should reintroduce it before sleep…seems like a backward step but ….. sleep is necessary!
 
Are you taking anything for pain? Paracetamol? Are you using ice? Still very early days for you!
Yes - both! But paracetamol has never worked for me unfortunately. I agree - just 2 weeks out may be a bit soon to cold turkey on pain meds.

Managed to cook a meal today and walked for a mile…I feel a smidgin faster than I’ve been - so still progress I think
 
Slept marginally better last night - but trying to do this on my side is infuriatingly difficult. Nevertheless, feeling more like my previous self today. Had my clips taken out … nice neat scars! Then to celebrate I went to the gym.

I tried to do some recumbent cycling …. Much more difficult than I thought it would be. My right knee is significantly stiffer than the left and struggles to get the pedal right around - ended up just doing 4 minutes on the lowest resistance …. Still it was a start! Leg extensions - with the lowest weight- were immensely difficult. Did 4 reps! I then finished up with all the exercises I’d normally did on my upper body… this made me feel much better! I think that’s all I’m gonna do today

25441CFC-02B9-4034-810B-4A23B38695F7.jpeg
 
Looking good! Upper body work is OK. Be careful with those legs' workouts. You don't want to cause a setback.
 
Great news on the bike!!! Some of us, even with decent ROM early on, struggle with that.

With my athletic background I'd caution against leg extensions with any resistance beyond gravity until you're six weeks post op - it's pretty easy to set yourself back until the natural physiology of soft tissue healing has a chance to do its magic.
 
Great news on the bike!!! Some of us, even with decent ROM early on, struggle with that.

With my athletic background I'd caution against leg extensions with any resistance beyond gravity until you're six weeks post op - it's pretty easy to set yourself back until the natural physiology of soft tissue healing has a chance to do its magic.
Thanks mendogal! I think that's good advice. Before my operation I was extremely active - surfing when there were waves, mountain biking when there weren't, hiking, yoga and weight training (mainly based on maintaining functional strength - not bodybuilding). It's quite an adjustment to my mindset this recovery business!

I managed to walk for about 3/4 mile last night without sticks (well - I forgot them!). This was significantly more challenging than with sticks - going to take things very easily today....probably did more than I should have yesterday.

I found a video of me walking that my wife took of me a couple of months ago which shows how bow-legged I'd become. This has massively improved since my operation - didn't expect that!
 
Great news on the bike!!! Some of us, even with decent ROM early on, struggle with that.

With my athletic background I'd caution against leg extensions with any resistance beyond gravity until you're six weeks post op - it's pretty easy to set yourself back until the natural physiology of soft tissue healing has a chance to do its magic.
Mendogal - what's your athletic background?
 
As an RN with over 20 years in aikido (and who loves doing very slow sustained weight training and looks forward to returning to it!), I have done a lot of dojo first aid and injury taping at seminars, sustained and rehabbed from a major training injury, and spent a long time with folks who did and folks who didn't respect the body's need to heal.
My word is by no means "gospel," and everyone has different priorities. I am standing by my *caution* because the trauma of knee surgery is greater than that of a muscle strain.
 
As an RN with over 20 years in aikido (and who loves doing very slow sustained weight training and looks forward to returning to it!), I have done a lot of dojo first aid and injury taping at seminars, sustained and rehabbed from a major training injury, and spent a long time with folks who did and folks who didn't respect the body's need to heal.
My word is by no means "gospel," and everyone has different priorities. I am standing by my *caution* because the trauma of knee surgery is greater than that of a muscle strain.
A fellow martial artist …. Did quite a bit of aikido myself although judo was my main thing (2nd dan) …. Also competed in sambo, once in the world championship!

I guess none of the above were good for my joints …gave up the judo as a result of OA in my fingers about 10 years ago…still miss it!
 
Well - today I managed to walk 1.5 miles across sand dunes to the beach…
IMG_4012.jpeg


Also went to the physio…115 degrees left leg, 110 right. Not bad. He also said my strength is returning gradually.

Today was good
 
IMG_4017.jpeg

Just got a cheap turbo trainer and set it up in the house with an old bike I had in the garage.

Cost me £20….but it works really well☺️

Wife is not so pleased at the aesthetic outcome!

I’d be interested to know what people’s experiences are with stationary bikes… what kind of schedules they used etc.

Seems like my rom has already benefitted from a few sessions!
 
Wife is not so pleased at the aesthetic outcome!
Hahaha! I agree.
It's kind of like my hubs seeing beauty in a deer mount. Me...not so much.
Beautiful photo by the way! The scenic pic...not the bike. :wink:
I am sure you'll receive lots of feed back on riding schedules. Go slow and enjoy!
 
Wife is not so pleased at the aesthetic outcome!
Hahaha! I agree.
It's kind of like my hubs seeing beauty in a deer mount. Me...not so much.
Beautiful photo by the way! The scenic pic...not the bike. :wink:
I am sure you'll receive lots of feed back on riding schedules. Go slow and enjoy!

I will go slow … thanks for reminding me though it’s definitely my weak point, trying to push things
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom