Bilateral PKR Bilateral partial recovery

Just thought I'd give an update on my recovery....in case others are interested. It's been about 4 and a half months.

1 - My recovery has not been linear - I've experienced periods where I'm almost unaware of my new knees and others where (for no apparent reason), my knees swell up and are extremely painful
2 - I'm able to squat by bodyweight in the gym now....although getting deep is pretty much impossible
3 - I can surf again....although relearning how to turn the board has been a slow process. Of all my activities, this is the one that's been affected the most
4 - My walking has improved a great deal, especially downhill

This weekend I did a 6 mile hill walk with little problem, a workout tin the gym and a 2 hour surf. I'd say by now, I'm more or less pleased that I had them done!
 
Great report- well done! Just be careful not to overdo things and avoid any very twisty movements on the knee- particularly when squatting. I still find it is important to keep my knee from turning inwards when I rise from deep sitting or squatting.
 
Hi penliniaupoenus!
You're doing great! At not even five months post op into a recovery that can last a full year for many, even longer for some, you have time and room for improvement. Best wishes for a great week! Thanks for the update. :)
@penliniaupoenus
 
Just thought I’d give an update in case anyone’s interested!

I’m now 9 months and a couple of weeks post surgery. Back in June I climbed a rather big mountain in Northern Spain (1800 m tall) with no problems! This would previously have been totally impossible. I can cycle pretty much as hard as I like…. And I’m able to run without pain. I’m surfing just fine again, although my new knee geometry forced me to have to relearn how to manoeuvre the board…weird!

I can now squat 120kg for 10 reps…. And I think I’ll leave it there. Although my quads are pretty withered compared to how they used to be
 
:happydance:
The kind of update that makes my day!!!
Thank you - it's so important for newer members to see what's possible.
 
I’m almost 6 wks post surgery……thanks for a glimpse of where I am going and why I am glad I am doing this. One down, second knee in the spring. I didn’t have the courage to do both at the same time! What a wonderful and uplifting post. Thank you
 
I’m almost 6 wks post surgery……thanks for a glimpse of where I am going and why I am glad I am doing this. One down, second knee in the spring. I didn’t have the courage to do both at the same time! What a wonderful and uplifting post. Thank you
Ahhh Wolfsie…. Sending you the very best luck with your surgery! It’s a daunting thing to go through but it’s worked very well for me
 
Wonderful news. You're doing great!
Happy Nine Month Anniversary! Thanks for taking the time to leave such an inspirational update.
@penliniaupoenus
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom