Guest viewing is limited

THR Bilateral changed to Single

Sounds like a great plan.
There are so many odd sensations the first weeks and longer even...can be a little disconcerting!

What's that?:what:
Haven't felt that before!:flabber:

Almost always temporary...have a restful weekend!:flwrysmile:
 
Thank you @Layla ....you said what I was trying to say, so much better than I did ( I had trouble explaining myself in that post). Sometimes we feel like we are living with "rainman". We make it work, and often try to find humor In the things she puts us through. My friends are always asking for my "stories" of what we go through here. Of course some things only become funny After some time passes ( But we're really annoying at the moment). Anyway, can't believe that she will be with us a year in November. My boys have a lot of patience with her (they are also not around that much with work and their own social stuff) but they are good to her and I am extremely thankful for that.
Hoping you have a good week end too.
 
@Mojo333 ...yes...yes...And yes... Thank you !
Is it really 78 degrees in GA ? I forget how far south you are.
Enjoy your week end ... :loveshwr:
 
Good morning to you,@Lea61 or probably afternoon in the east coast as I'm writing this, but I hope your day is going well so far, that practice with crutches and maybe the stairs was helpful, and you are in a cheery mood this Saturday. I am amazed at how kind and understanding you are with regard to having your sister there. Not only are you dealing with your own recovery, so difficult those first few weeks, but also with your sister and with your husband's frustration at dealing with her plus helping you out as well. That must be tough. You might try asking your husband privately if there is anything you can do to help distract your sister perhaps. I know I relied so heavily on my husband at first that I was trying very, very hard to be a good, non-complaining and very appreciative patient. I can't imagine how hard it would have been to add another needy person into the mix. Hang in there, and have a great rest of the day.
 
Thank you @Barbaraj .... I understand your trying to be a "good" and non-complaining patient. I did ask my husband if he wanted me to call my brother and tell him that having her here right now is proving a bit difficult and asking him to take her again (I even thought my son could drive her back to PA to save my brother another trip). But my husband said no to that and didn't want me to make that call ( I think in a way he just appreciated that I acknowledged the fact that this added more demands on him). My husband does have his "escape" as he has an office off our MB on the 2nd floor, so he is able to get breaks from his "duties" often. Lol. I have also banned my sister from going upstairs since that would certainly defeat the purpose of his escape ! She knows I would hear her if she attempted to make a "trip" upstairs LoL. If I need my husband I just text or call him on his cell.
Thank you for all your kind words. I'm having a good day so far .....:ice: Hope you are having the same. :loveshwr:
 
Hi @Lea61 You are amazing with having your sister back with you already. It is a difficult situation to figure out, as you don't have a real grasp as to how your personal recovery journey is going to go, you can only go by what others tell you. Good idea that with Hubby's office upstairs, that upstairs is banned for the moment. That will give him his breaks.
Congratulations on your January date:yes!:. So pleased that cancellation came through for you!

Wishing you a comfortable and relatively peaceful weekend!
 
Hi @Lea61, I just read through your thread. I had bilateral surgery in 2015. Three hours is a long time to be under; that's how long it took my surgeon to do both hips. You sound like you are doing really well. I had tender thighs, too. They drill into them, so it makes sense. Also, sitting was very painful for me. It takes quite some time. Now it's no problem. If you get stressed and frightened, your pain levels will soar. Those stairs sound very difficult. There is plenty of time to get stronger. Take care.
 
Yesterday, I went up my stairs. I rested awhile and then took a shower (that was exhausting). I rested after the shower before getting dressed and then I made the trip back down the stairs.

Atta girl!

For today, I figured I would do normal walking and IF I do the stairs, it will only be to the landing and then I just want to practice using the crutches for walking. Sounds like a plan ?

I like it!
 
Thank you @Hip Hip Hooray! It is all really mind boggling ! When I first got into the OR I remember trying to look around.. I saw some tools but not much else... Probably a good thing ! Lol.
The stairs are challenging but I did find it so much better with an arm crutch, instead of a cane.
Thanks for your support :friends:
 
It's amazing how much better you feel after one month. I forgot to mention that I could feel my implants shifting when I first got them. It takes time for them to feel rooted to your body. Eventually you don't feel them. If I felt like something was causing a clicking, I stopped. You also may have a delayed reaction from any physical exertion. I would have pain a day or two later, not at the time. It helps to be very conservative and patient. It is so worth it in the end.
 
Please don’t stress about not being able to some of those exercises or the stairs right now. It will come in time. Even before PT had me do those exercises, I had tried to do the leg slide just to try and get some relief from being in the same position in bed all the time, not as an exercise to do. I wasn’t able to do it at first and it took several days to move a few inches and then all of a sudden I could do it. Same thing with lifting my leg straight up - I couldn’t do it last week but out of curiousity tried it today and was able to. When PT had me try to move my leg to the side I refused and we had a discussion about whether PT was really necessary and that I wanted to wait at least 6 weeks before any more exercises if I feel I need it. On Monday, it’ll be 3 weeks (can’t even believe it!) since my THR and my body’s ability to heal itself after this major surgery still amazes me every day!

I truly believe in the natural course of performing daily living activities and getting in and out of bed, that was enough exercise and that my body needed time to heal and recover on its own timetable - not one set by a physical therapist.
 
@Hip Hip Hooray! ... I can't believe you described the feeling as "shifting". I have the same feeling which started when I first got home ( probably because of the increased activity after being in the hospital). Then I didn't notice it so much until I started using the stairs. So I guess increased or new activites is a trigger. It is a little hard to describe and I had called it a popping/clicking (which I know describes a sound and not a feeling, so maybe that was a poor choice of an adjective .. LoL). Anyway, it is an odd feeling and sometimes I even ask my husband "did you hear that?" He looks at me like I'm crazy (Lol ) !
And I guess it makes sense that we would have pain after a day or two, because I think that most of this discomfort now is muscle pain and not hip pain (??).
Thanks for reaching out...
 
@Windsong ... You are 9 days ahead of me. Thank you for sharing your recovery with me. I have also stopped doing any of the exercises that PT has me try if it causes me pain. For the most part, my PT has been helping me with using the stairs and walking with the arm cuff crutches. Next week he wants to get me to walk outside. So I like that with PT, I am learning how to do these things safely. I have definitely had the same experience as you with lifting and sliding my leg. I will also occasionally just "try it" to see if I can do it, but I am not forcing it nor am I doing it regularly. It's funny that I just learned today that the heel slide, which I was able to do earlier in the week, I was not able to do today. So I think that Friday's stairs and shower made my muscles sore.
How has your recovery going so far. I will check out your thread. Are you still using a walker. Qq
 
Here's another little something that's happened to me ..... I'm going to back-track to keep this in a correct order. Last spring, I went to a pain management MD and had a cortisone injection in my right hip. A week later, I had started bleeding (like a period). Since I had been in menopause for 5 years, I went to my gynecologist. He did a biopsy (horrible experience) . During my visit, I happened to mention to my Dr. that I had recently had a cortisone injection. He immediately reacted with a "maybe that's why you're bleeding". He was only able to find limited research and documentation on it. He recommended that I have a D&C because of the risk of cancer with post menopausal bleeding. Over the summer, I had a D&C and thankfully, no abnormal cells were found. The dr who did the D&C had never heard of any correlation between post menopausal bleeding and cortisone injections.
.....So, Present Day : I had posted earlier, that the day after hip surgery, my OS ordered a cortisone injection for my left hip to help it get thru the added stress until the next surgery date. Well, right now, it's been about a week since the cortisone injection, and guess what ?? Tonight I just started bleeding. There is little doubt in my mind that cortisone injections can cause bleeding in post menopausal women. I wanted to share the experience here and plan on letting my Dr(s) know, so that others can at least be aware of the possibility.
 
Interesting, thanks for sharing. I'd definitly check in with the doctor though and let them record that info within your file. I'm sure he'll find it interesting information, himself, now that it's happened to you twice. Oh well, the inconvenience may make you feel like you're young and fertile again, for a hot minute, if nothing else. :heehee:
I hope you have a lovely Sunday!
@Lea61
 
Good Sunday to you, @Lea61, I hope you're having a good day so far. I think the stairs will indeed, like everything else, be easier every day/week. I wouldn't push it to the point of exhaustion, given overall energy drain, but I have read so many posts about folks wailing about not being able to do something one week, and then the week following being able to accomplish the task more easily. I think the whole plan of trying something but putting it off if it is at all painful or you can't do it is smart. Just try again when you're able and sooner or late you'll smile to yourself as you've successfully mastered that new move! I think these small successes which punctuate our recovery are helpful, and give us hope and encouragement that, yes, at some point we ARE going to fully heal.
 
@Lea61 I’ve graduated to using a cane but physical therapist and dr office want me to still use walker when going out somewhere. I just came back with having lunch with a friend and used the walker per orders. The walker was necessary pre-surgery since June and I hated using it but it allowed me to continue to work. I’m trying to be patient and be happy for all those little victories of things that weren’t possible 1 week ago. Slow and steady is my mantra. We’ll get there eventually!
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom