THR Bilateral changed to Single

It will be January 15. Again, I got this date because of a cancellation; they are scheduling dates in February

A date for January.:ok: If that is firm I can put you on the list and add to your signature?
I can guess you aren't doing cartwheels (pretty sure) about that while you are still going through these first recovery weeks.
The payoff will be amazing!
Hope your day is sweet!:SUNsmile:
 
Hey @Lea61
Happy Wednesday!
You had your right replaced so far, is that accurate?
That info can be added to your signature as well.
Hope you're having a good week and wishing you a lovely day as you continue healing.
 
Good morning, @Lea61! I am currently parked in a large armchair in the lounge of our gym, having slowly walked on the treadmill for 15 minutes at a very slow, almost the lowest setting. I held onto the arms for dear life although I was moving like molasses! I can’t say it felt all that envigorating but still satisfying. First time I’ve been in the gym since the day before my surgery.

That is an amusing story about your teacher who looks a bit like me—sounds like you two had great fun together and. Can appreciate having a simpatico co-worker, makes the work day so much easier and fun. Interesting that she also enjoyed a tasty cocktail!

Glad to learn you have a surgery date set. Not, of course, that you are excited about the prospect of yet another surgery, but having a date means you can focus your energy on getting as strong and prepared as possible beforehand. Plus, having now experienced a hip replacement surgery some of the stress and pre-surgical jitters will be less.

Sorry to hear you were so wiped out by PT yesterday—sounds positively exhausting! I confess I am glad that my OS doesn’t support any kind of PT—walking only—for at least the first 6 weeks. I know I will definitely need to focus on building up muscle tone and strength at some point, but focus now is just on healing. Glad to hear that you’ll be taking some of the heavy duty stuff before your next PT session, however.

Hope you got that furnace fixed—the east coast, as I recall, can get pretty darn cold even during these transitional weeks of fall. Bundle up if you venture upstairs.
 
@Lea61 I am going to chat with my surgeon at my six week check up, about the Rx saying one thing, but there not being enough pills...as that was the thing with me too. I really want to be clear headed (not on the day or day after op!!) about how he wants me to stay ahead/manage the pain. I don't find "take as needed" helpful! Maybe they don't want to commit to putting on the label as everyone here is so worried about the opioid crisis? I also have to find a replacement for the Dilaudid for the first few days, as that made me itch. I'll post after my six week check on Oct 29th.

So glad you got your date..just about two months after me...my new date is Nov 16. Given how much progress I've made this week, having the second surgery four weeks from Friday is good news, as I'll be that much fitter going into second surgery. I'll have some driving time and some mental wellness time I think as well.

I was thinking about your situation with your sister and with work. How will you handle that with your second surgery date? It does make things tricky. Will your sister come home to you for a while, and then go back to your brother...I can't remember to be honest if that is where she is right now? I'm thinking of you on all that....not easy to juggle it all. :flwrysmile:
 
@Alitm .... I'm sorry to hear how much you have to deal with. It has to be frustrating for your husband who has been trying to keep everything together, to now have to limit his activities. Will he have surgery soon?
I don't know much about the pain meds, or why some Drs prescribe one over another. Since Tramadol works for you, is there a reason that you can't start off with tramodol ?
I think that's what I started with, together with the Tylenol and Melaxicam (Mobic) which is an anti-inflammatory. I know that Mobic has alt of side effects including stomach upset, but I am supposed to stay on It for 28 days. And I don't know for sure if it is the Mobic, but I have had no visible swelling anywhere.
I was just curious.
Will Be in touch later. My sister is coming back! ....Oops ... I feel bad for my husband to have that added responsibility too.
Had one of those emotional days too, today. I even went and re-read the article on that.
,
 
Question about exercises....
I am getting PT in the home for a very limited amount of time (a total of 2-3 sessions). Out patient therapy, if I want it, would be after 6 weeks. The purpose of therapy at home is to make sure that people are safe in their own home. Additional sessions were requested for me because of my stairs and the problem I had with them. I am not steady on the stairs, and my movements are more tight and stiff, not painful. Because I struggle so much, I am exhausted and sweating like I had an intense work out ( probably because for me, it is an intense workout , as I was not one to exercise before).

So the stairs are the main focus, but the therapist also has me do the basic heel slides, ankle circles ..I found that 2 of those basic exercises, I absolutely can not do. I can't lift my leg straight up or even my foot when it is stretched out straight on the bed. And I can't slide my leg/foot out to the side, not even a little bit. I can feel my thigh muscle tighten as I try these movements, I am not having hip pain either but I can't get it to move.

I told the therapist that I was not able to do those movements prior to surgery either. He seems to think that it is not a hip problem, but something to do with the muscle (??). My OS happened to call the other night and I told him about this and what the therapist said. My Dr told me not to worry about it; that it is my hip and that I will do it eventually. He suggested that I try the move while bending the other leg at the knee, but that is not helping.

I just wanted to know if anyone has any thoughts on this ......
 
I just wanted to know if anyone has any thoughts on this ......

Hi @Lea61 I can offer you my thoughts on what you’ve said. I’m not quite sure that you have asked a clear question, it sounds like you are asking for some advice, it’s easier to give more focused advise to more focused questions. What is your goal? To be able to go up and down your stairs? Or something more?

I found that 2 of those basic exercises, I absolutely can not do. I can't lift my leg straight up or even my foot when it is stretched out straight on the bed. And ... I can't slide my leg/foot out to the side, not even a little bit. I can feel my thigh muscle tighten as I try these movements, I am not having hip pain either, but I can't get it to move. I told the therapist that I was not able to do those movements prior to surgery either. He seems to think that it is not a hip problem, but something to do with the muscle (?

So it seems highly unlikely that you will be able to do something you couldn’t do before, right? Especially if your hip wasn’t the reason you couldn’t do it before.
So I would agree that if your hip is not what was preventing you from doing those movements than its most likely that you simply weren’t strong enough to do them. Additionally even if you were strong enough to do them before, it takes a while after surgery to fully regain control of those muscles (at least it has for me) and your surgery was only 2 days before mine.

So the stairs are the main focus, but the therapist also has me do the basic heel slides, ankle circles,

If stairs are your main focus then I would spend more time practicing stairs and perhaps not bother with the other stuff. This follows the law of specificity.

Can you lift your leg to get your foot on the step? If you can do that but it’s hard you might try. Standing in front of the bottom step lifting your left leg to the step then lower it back while holding the rail. That’s one rep. Do a set of 5 reps then repeat with the other leg. Rest for 5 minutes (or more if needed ) and do it 2 more times. If lifting your body weight is equally hard you could modify the exercise: once your foot is on the step, lift your body up so that your other foot is at step level. But instead of placing your foot on the step, lower it back down in a controlled manner then lower the original foot down and repeat. If you find this extremely hard wait 5-10 minutes between sets and only do them 3 times a week with at least one day on between (Mon, Wed, Fri) for instance and don’t do other stuff ( besides walking ).

I hope that helps!

:) :-) (:
 
Last edited:
Thank you @MrDIY ...what you said does help.
If I understand it correctly, you are saying instead of struggling to go up and down the steps as one whole act, break it down into smaller pieces .
I am really tired right now, so I'm going to read this again in the morning and I will try what you said. I just wanted you to know I appreciate your advise and I think it will help me not feel so overwhelmed about doing these stairs. Instead of dreading the stairs tomorrow, I am actually looking forward to trying this.
Also, I'm not sure I correctly explained about the two exercises (raising leg and leg slides) that I can't do. I meant that for the last 6 months prior to surgery, i have been unable to do them.
Thanks again.
 
If I understand it correctly, you are saying instead of struggling to go up and down the steps as one whole act, break it down into smaller pieces .


@Lea61
My suggestion is really to make your PT more closely resemble your current goal ( getting up the stairs )

It would help to know what you are capable of now.
How many steps in your staircase?

Are you able to safely ascend and decend your staircase currently?

If so how many times a day are you doing so?

I meant that for the last 6 months prior to surgery, i have been unable to do them.

The question here is, what was the reason you couldn’t do them? Was it pain from arthritis or impingement or was that you weren’t strong enough to do them?

Just FYI, I currently cannot raise my leg while sitting and raising my straight leg while lying is still difficult. I know your surgery was 2 days before mine but I was pretty strong before surgery so don’t be to hard on yourself! We are both still in the early phase of recovery.
 
Well, @Lea61, I totally agree with what @MrDIY is suggesting. Don't push (or beat up) yourself because you can't do a particular exercise. You WILL get there eventually, but focusing on a critical and needed ability--being able to get up and down the stairs in your house--would seem the practical thing to be focusing on now. If you couldn't do an exercise before surgery why in heaven's name do you think you'll be able to do it now when your poor hip has been replaced and that whole hip/thigh region subjected to enormous trauma?! And you are so very early in recovery. In your shoes, I'd ditch any of the PT exercises I couldn't do and just focus on the stairs as has been suggested. My OS is dead set against PT for me--will only consider it once I'm at least 6 weeks out. Without the added pressure of trying to do things that strain or hurt, it allows me to mentally and physically focus my energy on just the things I need to do for daily living. And in your situation, stairs sound pretty important. Little by little, inch by inch...you're going to get there! Hope today is a better day.
 
@MrDIY ... @Barbaraj .. I thank you both for your input, which is excellent and makes perfect sense. I think it takes an outsider's prospective to be able to see things more objectively.
MrDIY, yesterday, my husband also told me that I was being too hard on myself. He thought I managed well on the stairs (but since that was not how I felt afterward, I became upset and frustrated).
I can ascend and descend on the stairs; feel safe? ,not really .... I need someone to be there ( not holding me, but right there).
I have 5 steps to a landing (which actually has a bench for taking a break) and then there are another 8 steps to the top. I just started the steps this week. I've only done the entire staircase one time, and that was with PT. I have gone to the landing with my husband.
Now after re-reading my previous posts, together with your responses, I think I can see that I have not given myself enough time and practice. I also think that my expectations were unrealistic ( but since my first attempt with the stairs in the hospital on days 1 & 2 had gone so well), I expected that I would do the same on my stairs at home, but they were two, totally different experiences (again, I was still under the effects of the injection given into my hip during surgery, which lasted 2+ days).
As far as the leg lift and slide exercises, I don't know why I couldn't do them (pre-surgery). They were part of the pre-surgery exercises and when doing them became difficult, I just figured it was part of the arthritis and degenerative changes in my hip. I am not going to stress over it. PT tried something today to see if it would make a difference. He held the heel of my foot and then had me try to slide. This time, I was able to slightly lift/slide. He felt that reducing the friction might make it easier. Again, I won't stress over it. And, as long as what he is asking me to do, is not painful, I will continue to try. If something becomes painful, or if I have any type of pain afterward, as a result of PT, I will absolutely stop and refuse those exercises.
One last thing.... (Sorry this is sooo long), since I have no problems with the walker, PT had me try using two arm cuff crutches. I happened to buy them knowing that after the walker, I would be needing some other kind of support. Although I do have a cane, I wanted something that would help me feel more supported than a cane. The crutches will take some getting used to and a lot of practice.......but I felt really good about using them. I think it helped me also feel a little more positive about my progress, just knowing that I was ready for something else.
 
And @Barbaraj ..... service for the furnace came last nite, but it needs a part that they did not have on the truck. They will call when they get it ( no call yet) ! ! I don't have to worry about going upstairs... too cold up there to shower. Lol.

QUOTE: "....if you couldn't do an exercise before surgery, why in heavens name do you think you'll be able to do it now..........."

Ok, ok....... I get it now !!!!! I can hear you all the way across the U.S. !!!!! You are so funny :loll:.... But also absolutely right.
Thank you .... :friends:
 
Glad to hear furnace folks finally showed up, @Lea61, although frustrating no parts for the fix. But if where you are is warm then I suppose you'll manage okay. Hope you didn't think my comment about impossible exercises was snarky--I was smiling when I wrote that, as you are so early on and seemingly baffled (narcotics?) as to why impossible exercises would somehow become more possible in your first week after surgery! Let's get those stairs managed first!
 
Hi @Alitm ... Thank you for sending your thoughts about my sister. My brother brought her back on Thursday. Within the first 24 hours of her being home, I questioned if maybe it was too soon ! I can sometimes hear her driving my husband crazy and although he does have a lot of patience, he is now dealing all day with everything, since he has taken family leave.
For surgery in January, she will go back to PA with my brother ( he is retired, so that helps a lot). I think I will have her stay with him a little longer next time. I don't want my husband to get burned out, and I sometimes feel stressed knowing that he has something (someone) else to worry about.
I have started the process for her to join a daytime social program. I received notification of approval, so we'll see how long it will take to get her into an actual program. It will be good for her to get out of the house every day and have something to do, hopefully she will be able to adjust, since it will be a major change in her routine.
 
:hi:I am glad to hear you are seeing your boundaries regarding exercises that are unhelpful.
Not even two weeks out... I think your recovery is right on track.
Giving your body a chance to heal will definitely "give you a leg up" on this journey!
Wishing you a good weekend dear Lea.
You've got this!:yes:
 
Hi :hi: @Lea61
While it's kind, loving and generous for you to take on the responsibility of your sister, I'm sure it can add a bit of stress at times. Especially if you get stressed, feeling hubby may be stressed. It's not a natural situation and bless both your hearts for taking on the responsibility. Possibly the daytime social program will benefit the entire household. Fingers crossed your sister loves it!
A great weekend to you all as you continue healing :)
 
Thank you @Mojo333 ... I do understand not pushing the boundaries (once you learn what they are) ! And I didn't really over-do anything crazy... It was finding out that I was unable to do a pre-op move of lifting my leg and sliding it to the side. I didn't set myself back or cause pain, but it made me realize what is important and that I will do those moves when I'm ready.
Having said that, last night I definitely felt the results of the days' activity, but I don't think it would be considered the result of over-doing it. Yesterday, I went up my stairs. I rested awhile and then took a shower (that was exhausting). I rested after the shower before getting dressed and then I made the trip back down the stairs. In the evening, I was hurting and having those weird popping feelings when I walked or moved my leg. I increased Tramadol to 100 mg. This morning, still feeling a little achy. For today, I figured I would do normal walking and IF I do the stairs, it will only be to the landing and then I just want to practice using the crutches for walking. Sounds like a plan ?
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom