THR Bickypeg's new hip

Hey @bickypeg
Happy One Year Anniversary to Lefty! Can you believe it? I hope you did something special to celebrate.
It will soon be Righty's six month anniversary. I forget it was ONLY six months ago. You're still on Recovery Road. I bet you'll be feeling great by the holidays this year, just in time for all the family get togethers that I know you love so dearly. :)
Have a great weekend!

Thank you @Layla. I did put a photo of me in hospital from a year ago on Instagram and also finished off son's birthday cake which he foolishly left here.
A quiet day otherwise as everyone was out and it was pouring. Did my 5000 steps doing bits of housework and a walk up the road. Still not feeling as good as a few weeks ago but plenty of rest and paracetamol will do the trick for the holidays next week I'm sure.

Keep the positive attitude, @bickypeg, as I know you realize that recovery can be bumpy at times but, in the end, slow and steady wins the race. I chuckled at your polishing off of your son's birthday cake. I hate having sweets left around the house as they continually call out, "eat me, eat me" and I have poor self control. I love to bake but I try to get rid of baked goods like cookies or cake as soon as possible. Fortunately, a few women in my neighborhood have sons and husbands who are always eager for leftover treats!

Moaning again and feeling rather miserable. Had 2 very uncomfortable days because of the British heatwave which finally arrived all at once in West Yorkshire with no time at all to get used to it. And very airless, oppressive and humid with the mother of all thunderstorms at 3.00 a.m. Had 2 very quiet days mainly sitting about and trying to get cool but I'm feeling fairly rough. 'New' hip (nearly 6 months!) and leg having that dragging feeling again which I see I complained off on here around 4 weeks! and it's uncomfortable walking any distance not that I've really tried except round the garden. Can't even ice anything as it's not so much sore as feeling as though it's not working properly.
Holidays in Northumberland on Friday for a week. Really not looking forward to it though it's my favourite place in the world. Decided I can't face the car journey - the journey to and from Leeds on Monday (for gentle babysitting and a theatre visit with minimal walking - honest! Was a lovely day) was bad enough with husband doing over the speeed limit constantly and v hot! so have booked a train ticket and the youngest will meet me part of the way. Thinking this is may be over-ambitious ...
Feet are burning again and tingling and it's hard to find comfy sandals. Worried of course that it's something sinister but the podiatrist was unconcerned and said circulation was fine but there might be some nerve damage (sister also has some nerve damage after her THR) if so will this ever go? It's tiresome rather than painful.
Back on paracetamol 3/4 times a day. Not sure it helps that much. Took 1 ibuprofen this morning in case it helped with any inflammation. Can't say I noticed any difference.
Good news was I got the result of my blood test back from GP after I complained of dry mouth and it was normal. I knew I didn't have diabetes but even the suggestion made me edgy..and dry mouth not too bad ...
Any ideas for a quick fix to get me holiday ready by Friday? :sorry:

Oh, @bickypeg, sorry you're still struggling. I think most of us (well, me anyway!) think that by six months out we'll be just fine, no residual ill effects from surgery and everything will be perfect. I realize that's not the case for many, and it might feel like "if it's not one thing, it's another". I think you're doing a good job of preparing for Friday's holiday departure--the decision that driving was not good and the substitution of a train ride instead. Can you put together a container of goodies for yourself, little rewards along the way--like some nice lotion, some tasty and portable food choices, a magazine and/or book that you haven't read? I also think you need to be firm with your family about what you are able and willing to do. They probably see you as fully recovered and assume you can do everything you've done in the pasts. You need to disabuse them of this notion! If there are activities that you find difficult, let 'em know ahead of time that you will NOT be doing those! Make sure you carve out plenty of time for yourself, to relax and rest. And figure out what YOU want to do! The challenge is being decisive and knowing how to set boundaries for yourself and others--easier said than done, I know, but good luck!

Last edited:
Thank you @Barbaraj ! I drank a couple of cups of horrid camomile tea and feel a bit calmer. I do wonder rather if I haven't done something dreadful to myself when I think how good I felt a few weeks ago. Anyway I'll plod on with resting as much as possible, taking the painkillers and hope for the best. I'll have treats a plenty of course and always save a few new books on my kindle for the holidays, although my concentration isn't amazing. Sweet of you to worry but babysitting is a treat for me- I only sing and read stories, the others do the boring stuff! I am better in company as otherwise I get preoccupied and gloomy and start reading medical articles on Google. Trochanteric bursitis is my latest self diagnosis. But hope I haven't discouraged you when you're having problems, but it is very early days for you. Another couple of weeks and you'll be a new woman!

Aw, thanks @bickypeg. I think I'm doing as well as can be expected this early in recovery. For me, giving in (well, my husband would say being smart for a change) to the need for an oxy last night and not beating myself up, has boosted my mood today--that and getting a nasty glue strip off that was causing a dreadful allergic reaction. So, deep breath--and here's to another day!

! I drank a couple of cups of horrid camomile tea and feel a bit calmer.

Yuk, that is the tea served in hospitals here. Alternative is preferential ... Lemon Balm (Melissa officinalis) (Cidreira in Portuguese), a member of the mint family, has a lovely lemon flavor and the ability to gently calm the nerves and lift one’s mood. You have to ask for black tea if you want English tea. :flwrysmile:

Apparently trochanteric bursitis is known here as GTPS. Sounds as though not much in the way of treatment except NSAIDs ice and rest with a bit of physio eventually. Steroid injection only as a last resort?

Sorry to hear that BickyPeg. I hope your six month old hip sorts itself soon. I still ice my one year old one occasionally. Happy Annivrsary!

I have some lemon balm in the garden @Izabel could I make my own tea with it?

Yes, just pick and dry the leaves then steep as you would any tea. Best to crush the leaves first. :) You can also make lovely tea with Lemon Verbena (Bella Luisa here) ...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aloysia_citrodora
Teacup.jpeg Izabel xx

Hi @bickypeg

So sorry hip 2 is giving you trouble. Boy can I relate to the gloom that comes over me when I start googling possible scenarios if this doesn’t heal. Pretty frightening. :nah:

I do know that feeling of something isn’t quite right. I hope you can give your hip a chance to rest, but not so much that it gets stiff again. It’s a delicate balance of rest and movement. I am going to try CBD oil next week. Have some in route. Suppose to help with inflammation and anxiety. Have both, so hoping it provides some relief. Weird thing that is helping me is to fire my glutes before I attempt walking. I’m also counter surfing backwards. My knee almost feels likes it’s not lined up right. For some reason walking backwards feels great, almost normal. Too bad it’s dangerous. Lol.

Hope your trip goes well. Take lots of breaks and stretch! ❤️

Hi @bickypeg
I'm sorry you're having a rough time of it with your hip and the heat. Great news on the test results though.
I hope you're feeling better as the holiday you mentioned began today. Surround yourself with those you love as you always seem to thrive then. Enjoy the weekend!

Interesting to read about lemon balm tea, @Izabel! I have the stuff growing like a weed in my backyard and have never known what to do with it. I have a friend who says that with fresh mint you can just pick a generous few stalks and pour boiling water over that to make a delicious tea. I wonder if that would work well with lemon balm, too? And bummer, @bickypeg, about the trochanteric bursitis. I hope with rest, icing and the passage of time things will start feeling better. I am sure this is so frustrating for you--hang in there!

Apparently trochanteric bursitis is known here as GTPS. Sounds as though not much in the way of treatment except NSAIDs ice and rest with a bit of physio eventually. Steroid injection only as a last resort?
Pretty much but some stretches might help...done easy!
STRETCHING EXERCISES
  • Gluteal stretch: Lie on your back with both knees bent. Rest the ankle on your injured side over the knee of your other leg. Grasp the thigh of the leg on the uninjured side and pull toward your chest. You will feel a stretch along the buttocks on the injured side and possibly along the outside of your hip. Hold the stretch for 15 to 30 seconds. Repeat 3 times.
  • Iliotibial band stretch, standing:Cross your uninjured leg in front of the other leg and bend down and reach toward the inside of your back foot. Do not bend your knees. Hold this position for 15 to 30 seconds. Return to the starting position. Repeat 3 times.
  • Iliotibial band stretch, side-leaning:Stand sideways near a wall with your injured side closest to the wall. Place a hand on the wall for support. Cross the leg farther from the wall over the other leg. Keep the foot closest to the wall flat on the floor. Lean your hips into the wall. Hold the stretch for 15 to 30 seconds. Repeat 3 times.

Please don’t think you’ve done something awful to your hip @bickypeg
These hips like to keep us guessing and they throw tantrums from time to time... even after the 6 month period my first THR used to decide it wanted to ease up again & certainly made me aware that there was still a lot of healing to do.... hang on in there.., it will get better again soon..
Sending healing vibes.. love Chrissie xx[emoji3590][emoji3590]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I hope today is a better day for you, @bickypeg. This recovery road we expect to be tough early on, but I am sure it's frustrating when you're further down the road and things kick up again. I think you just have to be patient, remember the mantra about rest and icing, and believe that things will get better. Hugs.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Jaycey
    ADMINISTRATOR Staff member since February 2011

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
Dave4562
Recent bookmarks

Latest posts