Guest viewing is limited

THR Better late than never

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oh lord, I could write a book about the absence of any real 'care' during my 4 nights in hospital. Luckily I had the pump and just kept myself out of it. I have worked in and around health care for years and nothing surprises me any more. Perhaps a patient care coordinator or a patient advocate, or the director of nursing might hear you out, which might hopefully lead to change. Two years ago my daughter was wrongly diagnosed with a virus by everyone from a GP to an ER doc. i was treated like an overanxious mother when i demanded she be sent for a CT or I would camp in the neurologist's office. They reluctantly did one to get rid of me and immediately admitted her to ICU with a huge brain tumour. It was a nightmare, which eventually ended very well thank goodness. I say this because I was mad for a long time, with a lot of professionals because of what we experienced. I did get a couple of apologies but eventually dropped everything because my anger was making me ill! I learned that doctors are fallible and that there are a lot of very uncaring people in the 'caring' professions and it is worse when they feel under stress because of budget cuts etc.

Wishing you a stress free recovery from now on. Vickix
 
Glad you are home now. Hope your hubby is being a better caregiver than those in the hospital :friends:
 
Hi, Weezie.....so glad to hear you are safely home. Once you are far enough along with your recovery, there will be time to deal with any complaints you need to register regarding your care. It is important that you provide feedback - good or bad - to the hospital, so I hope you do.

Hon, you're just starting your recovery journey and things are going to get better and better. Please continue to let us know how you're doing in between the naps!
 
learned that doctors are fallible and that there are a lot of very uncaring people in the 'caring' professions
How true that is Vida.
The other interesting fact is that we may to an extent tolerate to indifferent attitudes or mistreatment of the caregivers but if this bad attitude happens to our children there is no way that we can tolerate it. I am glad it turned out positive at the end.
It happens every where and it is just the personality and the understanding of ethics, morals, empathy of the caregiver, whoever it is.
 
Vida sansabosa I also believe that most individuals that have no medical experience perceive that doctors/nurses are always correct. They tend to listen to everything that comes out of their mouths. That is so far from the truth. I've seen so many mistakes that are caused just by miscommunication from one specialist to another. Our medical system here in the US is suffering from cuts in budgets and are hiring less experienced personnel to place warm bodies in our medical facilities. Some of these warm bodies have no business being in health care. Our medicare system is cutting reimbursements and doctors are turning patients away that are on Medicare because of poor reimbursements. I hate to see what might happen to us baby boomers as time goes on.
 
Hi Weezi I was so glad to hear from you again.I agree with all the other hipsters that at a future date you should make a formal complaint against the hospital staff who treated you so badly but for now enjoy being back home with your loved ones and concentrate on resting and getting well again Love Kim
 
Hey Weezi,

Sorry to hear your hospital stay was not as good as it should have been! :hairpulling: But I'm so glad you're back at home and doing so much better. I had great nurses in the hospital except for one, but, man, can even one bad person EVER affect your stay!!! At a time when you're so vulnerable and need all the kindness and help you can get, it's terrible to have people who are paid to make sure that that's the case NOT do their job!!! :gaah: Anyway, I'm thinking of you and am so happy that the bad experience is all behind you and you're recovering well!!!:SUNsmile: Keep it up and I look forward to reading your story!

Peace out,

Foxy (Michelle)
 
Damn, that sucks. I prolly would've beat the heck out of anyone nearby! (and may have- verbally. not a big fan of pain and warned all the staff pre-surgery and bribed w/ chocolate).

At least I had the morphine for a couple days for when they f-ed up. Just before I left from my THR I told my doc of all the mess-ups on pain meds and he said 'sadly, nurses don't always listen to the needs of the patient or look at the history during their stay'. I can't believe you didn't have the morphine drip. that is insane.

I had a pretty hellish hospital stay myself, but it's all behind now- hope you are doing well enough now and in time all will be so much better! Oh man, I look forward to taking stairs at every opportunity now, after years of avoiding them- so it gets pretty sweet. All the things you'll eventually do that pre-arthritis were taken for granted then, become almost a joy now. Just because you can do them!
 
Hey Weezi, now that you've been home for a bit, how are you? Your surgery was two days before mine, so we're "recovery buddies."

Have you had any home PT? I'm asking because my PT person came Monday and the session was a joke! The lady was sweet enough, but the visit accomplished absolutely nothing. She didn't teach me anything that I hadn't already learned in hospital PT, and spent a lot of time going over "Patients Rights" leaflets and such. I decided that I don't need someone to stand over me and watch me squeeze my buttocks, thank you very much. 'Asked my surgeon's office about it and they told me I can cancel her next visit and spend the money on a pedicure or nice dinner. :)
 
Greetings most wonderful Friends! Please forgive me for my serious lack of posts. I’ve been in this strange funk, kind of like being in the Twilight Zone and I can’t figure how to get out of it. And, no, it’s not the pain meds (oh, how I wish it was) I’m lucky if those just keep the pain at bay. It’s more like I am just existing not too much, not too little. I live in fear of breaking the 90 degree rule so that certainly doesn’t help my state of mind. I was able to catch some much needed Z’s last night. Boy, a little restorative sleep does wonders! Anyway, I finally got most hospital experience down and I apologize in advance for the length.

I have been in pain mgmt. for a little over three years for nerve damage and Fibromyalgia. After several trial and error treatments, my PM doc and I finally found a combination of medication and therapy that worked well for me. As the pain in my hip progressed, my PM doc had to tweak my medication a bit to get me through the waiting period for my hip replacement. We discussed my PM doc consulting with OS in the hospital but I ended up taking the first available date my OS had and unfortunately my PM doc doesn’t see patients at that hospital. I wasn’t very worried about this as I had covered all the information regarding my pain mgmt. with OS.

The most important of my meds is a low-dosed pain relief patch. It provides long term pain relief via a transdermal patch which is placed on the upper part of the body for up to 72 hours. My OS, GP –General Practitioner, and the hospital and of course my PM doc all had this information. It was written all over my hospital chart. I arrived at the hospital at 6am and I was scheduled to be the second surgery around 10am. While I was getting my gown on and my IV inserted my OS came in and told me “I guess you heard that you were bumped up?” I hadn’t heard that yet but both my husband and I were thrilled that we didn’t have to wait! Then the head nurse asked how long had it been since I put my pain patch on and I said yesterday. Then the anesthesiologist told me they would just take it off right before surgery and re-apply a fresh one as soon as I got out of surgery. I was also told I would be on a PCA pain pump. I asked why THR patients couldn’t get one of those nerve blocks that the TKR get. He said “I am going to see about getting you something like that too” then I was out.

It’s also important to add that the nurse that did my pre-op, the week before, asked how much I weighed. Hubby was there with me so naturally I had to make a joke about my ever fluctuating weight. Then she said let’s go get you weighed because body weight factors in to the pain medicine dose for the PCA pain pump. During this visit, the nurse also went over my medications and told me that my patch would be applied right after surgery. This was another confirmation as to my pain meds post-op. I will never again ASSUME that my pain will be managed should I ever need to have surgery again.

Back to “day of surgery” I went in about 8:30am and it was over by 10:30am. The OS told my husband that it went very well and that I was in recovery. I remember waking up in severe pain and the nurse was telling me to calm down and that they had already given me pain meds. She said I need to relax and let the medication do its job. I cried all the way up to my room and my husband was shocked to see me in so much pain. He asked where my PCA pump was and a nurse told him that my OS didn’t order a PCA pump. My pain level was unbelievable, it was a 50 out of 10 and I kept thinking I was going to pass out. I just couldn’t understand why I was in so much pain and that’s when I frantically began searching for the pain patch that was supposed to be on my chest.

I was crying so hard I couldn’t get the words out to tell my husband that I wasn’t wearing a patch! He immediately went down to the nurses station to find out why I hadn’t received a patch to replace the one they removed before surgery. Again, he was told there were no orders for a pain patch and that my OS was in surgery so we would just have to wait. All this time I am praying to my Lord God, Jesus Christ. When I say praying I mean screaming and crying a prayer as I knew that no human being in the near vicinity was going to help me. My poor husband was beside himself. He had heard me scream, cry and beg for mercy and there was nothing he could do to help me. He also had to keep me from removing my legs from yellow foam cushion they were strapped down to.

By this time I had been in extreme, indescribable agony for almost 5 hours when a nurse came in with a pain patch. As I watched her take the patch out of the wrapper she actually said “Well, he DID NOT want to order this for you”. Incredible! I may never know what she wanted me to do with that information but in my world that’s nothing but a cold, heartless excuse for a human being much less a nurse.

I had been without the medication in the patch for nearly 8 hours. Not only am I experiencing post-op pain, I am also several hours into detox from the pain patch. The only thing I had been given for pain in the past 7 hours was two 5mg Percocet. They weren’t even alarmed at my high blood pressure and up until that day my blood pressure has always been within normal range, about 120/80. I knew I was in for a long night because it was going to take several hours for the medicine in the patch to get back to a normal level.

I had heard that my OS was making rounds shortly after the patch had been applied but he never came to my room. Not sure if he was or wasn’t on the floor. The GP did stop in to see how I was doing and we told him what was going on. He said he would look into the situation but I never saw him again. By 5pm I have had my pain patch back on for 2 hours after an agonizing 7 hours of detox. I have no PCA and will not get one. I did not get a nerve block prior to surgery although it was mentioned. I am being given (2) 5mgs of Percocet every four hours and 1mg of Dilaudid every 3 hours through my IV. Now that may be plenty for some but not for a person that has been in pain mgmt. care for 3 years.

I had quit screaming but I still cried through most of the night. A nurse’s aide came by with a bedpan because they took the catheter out right after surgery. She insisted I lift my body up using the triangle bar that was hanging above my head. I gave it all I could muster but chain broke while I was still holding the bar! I can’t believe I didn’t get hit in the head by it. The aide asked if I was ok and I said yes then she just left the room and I never got to go to the bathroom. When I called the nurses station to ask for assistance again, the nurse told me to relieve myself in the bed and they would come by later to clean it up! I was not about to sit in urine for hours on end. So I just waited for the next shift change in hopes that someone would eventually assist me with the bed pan.

We were 21 hours into this nightmare before I was finally able to get a little sleep. The next day was better just because it was the next day. I was finally able to see my kids and my mom. Sadly, the nurse on duty let me go 5 hours before she brought pain meds so I had to endure another round of getting the pain under control. Every time I was due for pain meds it seemed like they had a shift change and the nurse on-duty does not share any information with the nurse coming on. That meant my husband and I had to repeat what I was taking and how often and explain why. It was truly ridiculous. I would be given a time for my next dose but wouldn’t see a nurse or anyone for that matter for 45 minutes to an hour and a half later. Every time this happened my pain would get out of control once again. To add insult to injury, one of the nurses had the audacity to tell me that I needed to call them 30 minutes before my dose was due so I could keep my pain under control. ARRGGHHH!!

Believe it or not, there’s more but I think I have already written a small article so I will end it here. Such a shame cause this entire experience could have been avoided. Oh and one more note, I told the OS that the nurse said he really didn’t want to order the patch and he simply said “that’s not true”.
 
Oh Weezi, how horrible for you. Once you regain your strength, which you will, you must talk to hospital administration about the callous care you received. Telling you to urinate in the bed? That is absurd. I am glad you documented everything, it will help other people so much. Now please relax and rest and give yourself over to recovery. You have been very brave and will come back strong, I am certain of it. X Vicki
 
Weezi that is a true nightmare! How absolutely horrid! Please spend your energy and recovery for now. There will be time later to make a formal complaint. Keep up with the mantra - so glad it's helping. Big hugs my friend! :console2:
 
((((Weezi)))) OMG what a horrid experience for you! I do hope that you will write a letter of complaint to the Director of Nursing at that hospital with a copy to your OS and anyone else who you can think of. This is definitely NOT the way patients should be treated. I am so glad you are now home where you can get good care and get on with healing!
 
Hi Weezi, That sounds a story out of a horror movie. How terrible for you. How could they even suggest that you relieve yourself in your bed!!! I would think that is unheard of. I know my dad was in a adult family home and had diapers on, they used to tell him to do that. I could understand that they were short of help and he had a diaper on, didn't like that either but somethings you need to live with. In all my years of working in hospitals I have never heard a nurse tell a patient to do that, it's inhuman!
So much for pain management. I wonder where the back up staff was, there should have been someone that would back up your doctor while he was in surgery. A lot of doctors forget to write orders but in the case of THR standard orders should be in place. In your case even more attention should have been given. So sorry to hear you had to experience that.
I would go further than just report this to the adminstration. I would write an editorial in your local newpaper. People should be aware that these things can happen and do.
I hope you are feeling better and your recovery is quick.
 
Weezi
I am so sorry you were treated so terribly. A very detailed letter should be sent to head of hospital administration as well as the appropriate regulatory agency. I also have Fibromyalgia. However, the pain for the most part has been much more tolerable than a bad Fibro flare I suppose because the pain is confined to the surgical areas and not all over. Just don't overdo it because you may pay twofold. A angry hip and Fibro flare. Not fun :sigh: Each day you will see the differences. It's all good now.
 
Oh my gosh Weezi, what a horrible experience. Ditto to everyone that suggested a formal letter of complaint. Don't know how it works in your state, but in NY I think you can get the State Attorney General involved or some state health agency. Hospitals need to be accredited and held to standards to operate. I'd also put in a formal complaint with your insurance provider, they will look into the complaint. I had a problem with a particular doctors staff and put in a complain, which the insurance company took very seriously. The complain was attached to this doctors record with a reprimand. It's super good you've written this down and also have your husband as a witness. Saying prayers for you, poor girl you've been through hell. I hope they have your pain management issues sorted out and you are recovering. It's no wonder you are in emotional shell shock.
 
Weezi,

OMG. I thought my one bad nurse I had in the hospital was a story. NOTHING compared to what you went through!! Truly unbelievable. I'm SO sorry you had to endure such agony. And you're right--it was all needless. This hospital just sounds completely incompetent, if you ask me. Completely. No sharing of information between the nurses during shift changes??? Wild. And totally unacceptable. And the laisez faire attitude of everyone--disgusting. I know you're in recovery and have to take care of yourself, but I hope you're writing that hospital a STRONG letter!! Not that it will do any good, but I think you should definitely vent to them!! :shocked: They need to know how disappointed you are with your care.

But enough of that. How are you now? How are you feeling? I'm so glad to hear that you got a little sleep because that's important. You're so right in that rest helps us cope with everything so much better, so I hope you get good rest from here on in!! :)

You just keep on hanging in there and getting better every day. It really is amazing, I find, how much progress you make from just one day to the next. Plus, it sounds like you've got a terrific family for support, too! You're in my thoughts and prayers and I look forward to reading more about how you progress!! :friends:

Peace out,

Michelle
 
Weezi, I have been so worried about you after your first post. I figured you experienced something bad but that was horrible and you said there's more!!! How can any medical staff ever ignore a patient in so much pain and do nothing. Unfortunately you are the patient can't stand up for yourself. My husband said he is planning on staying in the hospital with me as long as I'm there, makes me think it's a good idea. He won't take any **** and he's a big guy, they will pay attention to him. I am so sorry that you had this kind of experience, who would ever have thought and the part being told to pee the bed.....it just doesn't get crazier. I am glad that you are safe at home where your family is around you. Take care my friend.:console2:
 
Weezi that breaks my heart to believe that any human could really treat another in that manner. I am so, so sorry for your nightmare. Please take steps necessary to see that your story is told to the appropriate authorities. Someone should be held responsible for these actions. I pray that you will have peace and begin your recovery in a proper manner. Take care of yourself and may God watch over and protect.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.
Back
Top Bottom