THR Better late than never

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi, Weezie. I'm so sorry you had a bad experience.
Am glad to hear you are at home and am thinking of you and sending all good wishes your way.
Take care of yourself. Thank you for posting, too, during what has to be a difficult time. But you are now home!
 
Hi Weezie, I don't think some people should be in the health care profession. I was in the field of nursing years ago for about 10 years. There are some nurses that would sit and do anything to get out of answering call lights or help patients. Others that did most of the work, I would never ingnore a patient call light and I went into the profession to help people that needed help.
I just don't understand why some people would even consider the nursing field unless they wanted to help people.
I had a few bad experiences in the hospital after my surgery and it's very upsetting. Just the feeling of helplessness you can't get out of bed to get help and you can't really logically defend yourself right after major surgery.
So I hope your experience wasn't too bad. That's behind you now and you're on your road to recovery. I was very happy to be discharged and be back in my own home. I think the trend is get out of the hospital as soon as possible, too many medical mistakes, you are safer at home.
I hope you are feeling better!
 
Oh gawd, I hope it didn't get all messed up like after my appendectomy - had no pain meds for 6-8 hours and nurses were oblivious and rude - kept saying 'we haven't gotten the scrip yet'. Next AM doc comes by and says "What??? I put the scrip in the system BEFORE surgery so it would be right there..."

PS- sure hope you got the self-administered morphine thingie...
 
So glad you are home & safe. Rest up & fill us in with what happened to you. I am soooo sorry to hear you had a bad experience!
 
Hi Weezi - sorry to hear you had a bad experience - but glad you are home. I wish you well for your recovery - I'm 2 weeks less 2 days before i go in for my LTHR. Looking forward to hearing from you when you feel up to it.
Take care and 1000 hugs - you did it!!!! Tracey
 
Hi weezy, I'm so sorry to hear things didn't go too smoothly for you. Hoping you are feeling settled now :) When you feel up to posting again we will all be here for you.

Take care

Ann
 
Hi Weezi

Onwards and upwards or so they say surely things can only improve for you, fingers crossed you are feeling well and getting about a bit better.

Billy
 
Bòooooooo to those nurses but Yay to you being home and on the road to recovery. Despite the new challenges its great to be post op :yay:
 
Hey Weezie....we are tough....we can get through this. Well at least at this moment I am feeling positive. :SUNsmile:
 
Yes, just like Dorothy say's "There's no place like home!":yes: Right now I feel like it's Christmas Day! This is the first time I was able to read on the heart-warming posts from you all. It brought tears to my eyes and I feel like I've just had the biggest bear hug ever! Thank you to each and everyone of my bonesmarty friends, you guys are the BEST! Just being home made me feel so much better. I was only there for 2 days but, at the time, it seemed like an eternity. I also want those of you who have an upcoming surgery not to let my experience affect you at all. My surgery went very well and had it not been for a gross lack of communication and very poor post-op care I would and should have had a very comfortable experience. I am following the bonesmart mantra to a T and the last couple of days have been much better than my husband and I could have ever expected! I had to beg for ice in the hospital and then would only get one bag at a time until I insisted on no less than 4 bags. I have been given all kinds of advice towards the end of hospital stay but I have stayed true to what I have learned here and it has made all the difference. I wanted to give you guys an update and let you all know I am doing much better. I have to stop here but promise to fill y'all in on my next post. I feel like it may take a little time and I have spent more time than I intended at my desk. I will say that I had a similar experience to Davefd but that was only part of it. And no, I did not get PCA pump as I was told I would. I am not dwelling on it though and am looking foward to recovering with you guys. Thanks so much, love to you all!
:thankyou:
Weezi
 
Weezi, I was so glad to see you had finally posted something since your surgery. It sounds like possibly not the best experience, so sorry for that. So glad to hear that you are home now and recovering. Please write more as soon as you feel up to it and let those who have experienced what you are going through help you with the rest of your recovery. Take care and rest up.
 
Weezi, just hang on. I too had a horrible hospital experience but it's over and recovering and gaining strength is all that matters now.
 
Weezi I'm happy to hear you are doing better. One of my bad experiences was just that I was ignored for about 30-40 mins. I had tears in my eyes but they did finally come back and give me some IV pain meds to help and turn me on my side. It took them about an hour to get the orders to give me anything by IV. I was out in seconds after they got me settled. I still was upset because I was having such pain and when you have that much pain you expect someone to care and respond sooner........... than later. It seemed like forever. If you have a total hip replacement and cared for in a orthopedic wing of a hospital, that only handles THR and TKR, you would expect this would be standard protocol.
 
As a retired nurse, I am dismayed by some of these posts, and very thankful that I received such expert, attentive, and consistent care before, during and after my surgery.

Please, Weezi and everyone else who had a bad experience, provide feedback to the hospital, to risk management if appropriate, and to your orthopedic surgeon, who should be very concerned about how his/her patients are treated. It may help those who come after you to have a better experience.
 
Weezi -
Glad you are home and getting the loving care you deserve. I agree with sissy46 that feedback is important to the hospital and your OS. They need to know! Put that on your "to do" list for later....concentrate now on resting and healing. Try to put the negative experience behind you and look forward with great anticipation to full recovery.
My LTHR was Jan 14. I think my recovery has gone really well with some "bumps" in the road along the way. Now that I am four weeks post-op, I think the greatest advice I've had ( here and from friends who have had THR) is that healing takes time and everyone's experience is different. I thought with determination and willpower, I could control my recovery. :( I am an active 47, but recognize now that this is just going to take some TIME....regardless of my age or physical condition. (I feel a little foolish even typing the previous statement...like I thought somehow I could hurry major surgery healing. Ha! Lesson learned!).
I am sure there are many more lessons for me to learn before this recovery is complete, but at 4 weeks post-op I am super encouraged. I am so grateful for all those who have posted about their experiences; it is comforting to know I am not alone. Praying for full recovery for all!

Rest and give yourself the time to heal.
Julie
 
Hi weezi did you manage to flog some ice packs while those nasty nurses were not looking?? I hope so we had to practically beg them for one even though my husband said I need three at least and more like four , one for each knee and hip . You would think a private hospital could afford to give a patient more than one I've pack on discharge , lame!!!!!!.

The team is right lets focus on getting you better to your best self right now one small milestone at a time , then in a few weeks if you still feel as adamantly I too would report the nurses that were negligent .
I was going to do this but to be honest am so happy to be recovering could not be bothered but rest assured I gave the two horrible nurses a dressing down they will not forget on a hurry I'm sure :) they should be ashamed of themselves to be nasty to someone in chronic pain.

Love light and happiness to you Weezi onwards and upwards !!!! Xxx
 
Hi Weezi, On my discharge, I was a bit anxious about getting ready to leave. I had a 9AM appt. in group PT and I was to be discharged at 11, breakfast was running late that morning and I wanted to shower before I left. I mentioned to the aid that I was upset because things just weren't going smoothly, I think she took it as an insult to her ability to take care of me. She acting like she was taking off my sock and pressed her thumb as hard as possible on the top of my foot. I yelled out in pain and she just looked at me and said she was sorry. It seemed like she was having a bad day but at the time I was half out of it and anticipating discharge so I blew it off.
I have my follow up on Friday this week, my doctor's office is in the same building as the hospital rooms. I think I will be paying the hospital administrator a visit. This really was out right patient abuse.
I worked in nursing for several years, you just don't do things like that to patients. I hate to do this but she shouldn't have the chance to do this to others or worse in the future. Unfortunately if the administrator does take action I believe she will lose her job. I don't like that idea because I know jobs are very precious right now. The nurse that was on duty that morning made some comment that that aid had a bad encounter with someone else that morning. I didn't tell her what happened because I knew she would probably lose her job. Now that I'm awake and thinking more clearly she does deserve to lose her job or atleast be written up and be notified about her behavior. She may have a history of doing this, I don't know but it has been bothering me since I left the hospital. I guess I had to vent. I think patient abuse is more common than we think.
 
luluohio, I got several surveys to fill out about my care after i got home from my surgery. That might be a good time to address this issue also. If you remember their names you can list them in these surveys at least mine you could....
 
Hi Weezie,
I'm so glad that you were able to pop in and make some remarks. I hope everyday you are getting better and better. I'm sure those days when you will dance or play with that little handsome kid on the picture are not far away.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom