Guest viewing is limited

THR Better late than never

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yeah Weezi! Sounds like recovery is going great! I hope time flies by for me too after surgery. Keep up the good work in PT!
 
Hey- glad to hear you're on the mend! sorry about that world of suck you went thru in the hosp- you were probably cursing people like me saying 'do it'! it's all ok!' at the time - but as you see, in the end it is soooooo much better. I am now in the process of weening off years of very strong pain meds, and slowly- be sure you do the same. I had one day with a dose of the DT's for a short spell (thinking, ahh- how bad could it be?) and it was hell. I am happy to report it is going well now and soooooo nice to not need to be doped up all day to function! actually went for a very short bike ride yesterday and life is so much better! keep on rockin', take it all slow and steady. We're still kinda young and if you are like me- you sure don't want a repeat of the surgery anytime soon!
 
Hi Weezi,
I'm so glad that your recovery is on track (halas!) and you already have the mindset that your brand new hip will provide you a wonderful life to you in the very near future.
Take care
selin
 
Weezi, Glad to hear you are doing better. It's better to concentrate on the positive. It probably helps heal you both emotionally and physically. It sounds like you are making progress. In just a few short weeks after surgery I'm actually seeing so much improvment I can hardly believe it. i hope you feel much better in no time at all and start seeing the same improvement. Wishing you the best!
 
Glad you are doing so well Weezi! Keep up the good work!
 
Hi Weezie - thinking about you and wondering how you are doing? I don't know if you saw any of my other posts - but I came down with a cold last week - which turned into a sinus/chest infection - so the doctor's pushed my surgery out until March 28th now. I am both upset and relieved to have more time to prepare - but I have been preparing for 3 weeks now. I just want to be on the road to recovery so that I too can be a support to others. I am happy to hear about your progress, sounds like it is going well. So do you feel like your leg is foreign - or does it feel normal except for post-op pain? Does the top of your leg hurt at all - or your knee? Take care, Tracey
 
BionicWoman2
Fyi, my hip feels really no different than my normal hip. I had the same concern. I feel a bit of a grinding sensation occasionally but my bone on bone was really grinding and popping before surgery. I don't have that bone on bone pain. In the beginning right after surgery i had pain that radiated down the front of my leg but that has went away. I think it may still happen occasionally if you over do it. The worst pain for me is usually in the area of the incision. I think it is all the deep tissue healing and will hurt after exercising. I noticed my knee occasionally hurts and I believe it's because compensation caused by weak thigh muscles. My other hip hurts sometimes too because I was placing more weight on it than usual.
It's all good though, this pain is healing pain that I know will be going away. I lived with my bone on bone pain for over 3 years. This is nothing compared to that.
It so terrible you came down with a cold. That feeling of anticipation and pre surgery jitters is overwhelming at times. The thought crossed my mind how disappointing it would be to reschedule due to cold or flu. I stayed home for about 2 weeks before surgery because my pain was so bad. I think that helped to avoid the germs. I hope you feel better soon. Keep in touch. As a friend told me pre surgery, you have to get into that mental attitude this surgery is going to really improve your life, so you should look forward to it.
 
Weezi, I was looking for your posts so I thought I'd just say hi here so you'd move up a bit. I think a lot of people here would like to hear how well you're doing, especially after your horrific hospital experience.
 
Hey Weezi, how are you doing? I saw in Drbabs thread you were having some pain and were getting discouraged. What approach did your surgeon use? I see lots of glowing reports about the anterior approach, but I did not have that. I had an anterior lateral approach. The incision is 9 whopping inches long and is on the side of my hip. I do think we all progress at our own rate and should not compare our rate of recovery to any one else's. I'm hearing about the tricky period about 2-3 weeks out that seems to bring people down. Perhaps they don't think they are progressing or are impatient with the progression. Maybe we do too much during this time too. I'm sure I will be in this position too. Try to take it easy and not measure your progress against anyone else's. Take care.
 
Weezi,

Glad you're moving along. Looking forward to hearing more about your recovery.

MJ
 
Hey designergirl, ironically I had written you a post on your thread yesterday while you were writing one on mine. It was rather lengthy and I had taken a break from sitting at my desk. I came back, finished it and when I clicked post reply I got the error message that I needed to sign in! Arrggghhh! That's so aggravating. Oh well, it's not the first time..

I am so glad to hear your recovery is going well! I noticed you got your caffeine fix after your surgery too! Thanks for your post. I had the same approach you had. I am not sure how long my incision is, I met to get my hubby to measure it for me. Ha. I knew those who had the direct anterior approach wouldn't have the same restrictions and Drbabs is the first person that I had talked to that sounded like she had that approach. Thinking back, it may have sounded like I was comparing but I was actually excited to hear from someone that had a DAA. And your right about that 2 to 3 weeks but I also think I have a bit of cabin fever. Earlier this week I ended up with a backache from over doing it. Thankfully I am doing better today but I do need to watch that I don't spend too much time at my desk. I enjoyed reading about your little Scottie dogs yesterday. It sounds like you have a very attentive family as well. I'll check in with you later to see how your progressing.:SUNsmile:

Gentle Hugs,
Weezi
 
Weezi, I had a home visit from a nurse today, she changed the dressing, it looks good. Officially I have 28 staples. She even took a photo, I should have asked her to email me a copy to post on the badges thread. I'm just glad the incision isn't on my rear end. I sat at a table today for about 1/2 hour, it had a light cushion on it so it wasn't too bad. Afterwards, grabbed my ice pack and laid down for a bit. Take it easy and don't do too much. I wanted to mention I have an overbed table I purchased from Amazon for $50. This allows me to partially lay down on my (no-breaking-of-the-90degree-rule approved) couch and have a laptop on it and comfortably check emails without sitting at a desk. I plan on using this for a long time.
 
designergirl
I also got a overbed table at Overstock it has been a life saver but keeps me on my computer and my couch too much. I guess I might be taking it up to my bedroom soon. It will be useful just to keep my computer off my bedroom floor, that's where it use to sit.
Yes I have a hard time sitting in a straight back chair for a long time but it is getting better. I went out for dinner at about 4 weeks post op and I didn't know if I was going to be able to get up again. The chair seat was much softer than I expected and I sunk down in it a bit. That was the most uncomfortable chair I ever sat in. I wondered afterward if I would have even thought about it before I had my surgery. Those chairs can be tricky but I wasn't expecting that one for my first trip off the couch.
 
Hi Weezi, I haven't checked in with you in a while (sorry) but we're practically surgery twins. Mine was Feb 7th, two days after yours. I'm SO glad to hear that you're doing so well and maintaining a positive attitude, especially after your rough start [HHH pantomimes slapping the hospital staff around]. I joined you in your cabin fever at the 2-3 week mark and the subsequent overdoing it. It seems like, one day at around 2 1/2 weeks, you get up, notice the layer of dust you've been ignoring, realize that the palm of your hand is sore from the walker or crutch, sigh at the remaining prepared meals in your freezer (oh gosh, chicken and rice again?), try to figure out if it's been one or two days since your last shower and just lose it! I learned my lesson, too, about trying to fix the world in a day.

Here's a tip for anyone on going out and managing the low chairs...I sometimes carry a firm, poofy pillow concealed in a small backpack, deftly slip it onto the chair seat, and then sit on the whole thing. It makes all the difference, sometimes.

Cheers,

HHH
 
HHH, The pillow is a good idea, it should be common sense but I unfortunately thought I could handle anything that particular evening. Then you start getting smarter after you learn by a few mistakes.
I guess I need to find a nice small pillow especially for my return to work. I believe I'll be sitting a lot on my first days back and it will probably make my life and butt more comfortable.
Thanks for the suggestion!
 
but I also think I have a bit of cabin fever.

Heh, heh- yeah I think we all know that feeling tooooo well! It's all par for the course sadly. just wait til you break down & start crying for no apparent reason!
 
I may go ahead and have myself a good cry - I am now treating calluses on my hands caused by walker use :cry:

I finally went to out-patient physical therapy, quite a bit different than in-home PT. The therapist did say that it was odd that OS still wants me to remain on touch down weight bearing while I'm in PT. It did do me a lot of good, especially getting the new hip stretched out.


 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom