THR Better late than never

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey Poppet,
No, it's just a virus. My oldest son insisted on going to the doctor because he wanted a prescription. He was hoping to get over by the weekend. The doctor told him "you almost wish it was strep so you could take an antibiotic to get over it". But it's just a virus and you just have to do the time...
 
Hi Weezi!! I am so sorry you have to go through having the family sick! I can't imagine dealing with that on top of your own recovery! I am down on PT myself right now, and I blame myself for not doing anything about it! I liked my therapist but it was a place where they had several patients and 2 therapists. I never felt like I got individual attention, and when I saw what they charged the insurance company, I was appalled ! Every time I went back after suffering from spasms following a session, he blamed it on the weather!!!! Jo and others have told me my therapy was too aggressive as well..and when I got bursitis the Dr. took me off for 2 weeks. THAT was a Godsend. I decided to go back to a wonderful therapist who isn't in my plan...I was willing to pay out of pocket because I trusted her. She asked me so many questions, gave me a great exam, massaged my leg that she said was in total spasm and for the first time since my surgery observed my walking and corrected my gait!!!I could kick myself for wasting 3 1/2 weeks at the other facility I would have been so much better than I am now. You and I are a day apart on our dates, but I am still doubtful I will be able to go back to flying in May. Until these spams are under control...no way!
I hope your family feels better soon and keep up the good work on your recovery. I think we have all learned to be proactive for our own health because we are out best advocates!!!
 
Hi Weezi, I hope you and your family are better soon. acbelmar, I'm glad you're feeling better. I did a lot this week and am having the IT bad spasms and bursitis, too. Right now I'm hanging out with an ice pack on my hip. I found myself lifting my leg with my hand today-- haven't had to do that in weeks. Oh well, everyone said this was a long recovery. Thankfully I have 2 days off this week and can stretch and rest. Hope y'all have a good weekend.
 
Rest up BarbaraR you have put yourself through a lot of different movements and actions.. Elevate and ice and you will come good...

I was talking with an OS friend and he said that he suggests up two five years for full recovery from THR.. up to, not will take that long ....
 
Oh Weezi YUK!!!! So late in the season, and your whole family had to get it. My niece visited her parents over Christmas, with her husband and three kids, and while there all seven of them caught it. Kinda spoiled the trip for everyone...
acbelmar can you massage the spasms yourself? heating pad? I'm sorry-- they sound awful.
and BarbaraR too, I'm sorry-- must have been that conference... :(
 
Thanks acbelmar, it is rather crummy to get sick on top of everything else. I can't remember the last time I was actually sick. I think wives and mothers may not get sick so they are able to take care of everyone else. Seriously though, it is rare that I catch anything from them, until now.
I knew we were practically surgery buddies and had read your thread a couple of weeks ago. Oh and Happy Belated Birthday! It was so much easier to post pre-op because I was just waiting and wanting to soak up as much info as possible. Once I got on the other side I had all this work to catch up on. We are self-employed and I didn't have anyone to take my place while I was off recovering. I'm still not caught up yet. I enjoyed reading your thread, you have some humorous posts on there. :heehee: To be honest, I'm not loving my PT experience this time around. I am so sorry to hear you are having spasms and bursitis, that sounds so painful. However, sounds like you've found the silver lining with this new therapist. Those people who really want to help make all the difference. There not always easy to find but I've learned to stay with a couple of have truly been good to me. I do hope you are able to get your muscle spasms under control. Did they start after your surgery?
 
Hi Weezi so sorry I haven't been over to your thread in a while, I just been catching up on things! Poor you getting a virus on top of everything else, if you don't normally get sick it probably hasn't helped that you are maybe a little run down in yourself at the moment and maybe more open to catching these things. Whatever the reason I hope it clears up quickly and you are back to full fitness very soon. :sick:
 
I do hope you are able to get your muscle spasms under control. Did they start after your surgery?
They started weeks after my surgery..I really think my PT was too aggressive and that may have bee where it started. Also on my birthday I wore shoes with a bit of a heel..next day I got them REALLY bad...so it will be sneakers and flats for a while!! I really wonder if it is because my operated leg was shorter before surgery and maybe the muscles and nerves are adjusting. I can only hope!! I am still hoping to go back to flying in May but I have to kick these cramps first! Flying dehydrates you anyway so the cramping/spasms could get worse in the air! That's all I need on a 11 hour flight to Hawaii!!!


can you massage the spasms yourself? heating pad? I'm sorry-- they sound awful.
I have tried Jo's method with my knuckles but it hasn't really helped. Yesterday I got them after walking half a block..the day before I walked for 40 minutes practicing the correct gait and had no pain. Most of the time they are worse when I first wake up...heating pad helps definitely!
 
Thanks zauberflöte, & Littlejem,
We did see my in-laws on Easter Sunday but I didn't have any symptoms until later that evening. I considered keeping the family home that day but it's easier said than done. You would have to know my in-laws plus my husband thought I was being over protective. Hopefully, we didn't share more than they would have liked. :wink:
You maybe right Littlejem, I had thought I may be a little more susceptible to illness since the surgery. I've been taking Echinacea and Vitamin C to help boost my immune system and I really think that helped.
 
acbelmar,
I may be a little late to this discussion regarding bursitis and muscle spasms but is this something that we hippies are more susceptible to? Since you and BarbaraR are both having problems it concerns me and I beginning to think I may have missed something. I have been anxious to start back on my elliptical and the treadmill to get back to my cardio plus I have some lbs. that I need to shed. I feel so fortunate because I have had minimal hip related pain in the last few weeks. The only thing that's been a bother lately is some discomfort in my groin. I thought that may be from taking a hiatus from PT exercises. However it is something I haven't felt before. If you guys have any light to shed on this I would really appreciate it. Oh and one more thing, I have felt a twitching in the top of my thigh near my knee. It's like a mini spasm but it's not painful and I've only noticed it a couple of times while at rest.
 
Weezi..They have made it clear in this forum that everyone's recovery is their own. I drive myself crazy when I think I should be way ahead of where I am at now..but this is my own experience. I am glad everyone doesn't have to deal with these setbacks, but most people have their own things to deal with. I was a walker before this and walked a few miles a couple days a week. In Sept 2012 I began to limp but still walked thinking it was sciatica. Stopped walking after the hurricane and wasn't in great shape before surgery. I believe people who kept up their exercise prior to their surgery made out better...stronger muscles..more stamina. But who knows if that's even true. My back is full of arthritis, my legs are now even when before they weren't, I'm 5'10 and weigh about 190..big girl! All these factors are probably playing a role in my spasms. I was so conscientious about walking but I didn't know I was walking incorrectly..that may have played a part as well! You had a horrible start in the hospital plus taking care of yourself and children!! That's amazing that you are doing so well!!! The bursitis I don't think you can predict. I was extremely bruised from surgery and thought that the pain and sensitivity was from that. The OS pushed on my hip and it hurt like hades....more than just a bruise. The cortisone shot helped. I go back on Tuesday and have to decide if I can fly in May. If I had no money problems I would give it another month, but things are getting tight and I miss my coworkers.
 
Weezi, No my OS didn't refer me to my second PT he just ordered another month of PT. The second PT i went to is right in my hometown about a mile from home. The first place i did my PT at was about 20 miles away and they had all these fancy workout machines at their facility. They are both affiliated with the same health system. My thinking was i would get better treatment there. If i had only known then what i know now. I think the first session was more strengthening than anything. They never did any massaging or stretching there. I really believe the ultrasound helped greatly. I see in your post above you mentioned groin pain. I had pain in my groin that extended all the way down to my knee. Completely gone now. It may be worth it to you to check out a different PT. I have followed your post since your surgery and you deserve nothing short of the best. Good luck....
 
Weezi Just catching up to see how you are doing. So sorry you & your family are dealing with a virus! Hopefully, you are on the mend now. I'm sorry about your PT too. I haven't started outpatient PT yet but I'm hoping I will like it.
 
"I've been taking Echinacea and Vitamin C to help boost my immune system and I really think that helped.".... :thumb:

Also Studies show that even mild zinc deficiency can increase your risk of infection; zinc is crucial for the development of white blood cells, which seek and destroy invaders like bacteria and viruses. Zinc also helps speed the healing of wounds...

High-zinc foods include oysters, lean red meat such as sirloin steak or lean ground beef, and dark-meat turkey like thighs and drumsticks. But vegetarians can get enough zinc, too, by eating lentils, black-eyed peas, tofu, wheat germ, whole grains, leafy green vegetables, and breakfast cereals. Eggs, yogurt, and milk contain zinc, as well.

Zinc absorption can also be increased by having a source of vitamin C with your meals, such as a glass of orange juice, some vegetables, or fruit.
 
Thanks Poppet, I have already started eating more foods with zinc. I thought we were over this virus and then my little one came down with a fever on Monday and I had to keep him home. Here it is Sunday evening and now I am the one with the fever! I didn't run any fever when I had the virus and I can't remember the last time I ran a fever. I am not the type of person to run to the doctor when my kids run a temp nor am I a big fan of antibiotics unless they are necessary. I'm hoping that this is just a relapse and that I'll wake up feeling better tomorrow. I am almost 10 weeks post op and I don't think this will affect my new hip in anyway. However, please let me know if I need to be concerned. My doctor gave me a preventative script of Keflex in case I had a root canal or an upper GI in the 6 weeks following. But he never said anything about calling him if I were to get sick. I don't think I need an antibiotic for this but I will go to the doctor if this fever persists for another day or two.

Teacat, thanks for the post. You sound like you are doing well. Are you starting to see any improvement in your energy level? I bet you will like out patient PT. I really liked the place I went to a few years ago. The PT I was seeing after my THR just opened in 2010. It's rather obvious that they haven't had much experience with THR rehabbing. I do think they cater more to sports rehab. I haven't been back since we all came down with this virus. Just when I thought we were almost over it, my little one came down with a fever on Monday and now I have one. Hopefully it will just run it's course. only a much shorter one this time around. The weather was so awesome today, comfortable breeze with no humidity, a temperature of 72! I really wanted to help clean up outside but stayed down most of the day so that my body can recover as soon as possible.

I hope you two had a wonderful weekend. :SUNsmile:
 
Hi Weezi

The decision to take antibiotics is dependent on whether it is a virus or if you have a consistent high temp and it turns into a bacterial infection.

A virus lasts for around 3-4 days, aches, runny nose (clear), sore throat etc.. In either case increase your fluids.

If in doubt give your GP a call and describe the symptoms.
 
Oh Weezi..
I am so sorry you are sick again! I can't imagine being sick, taking care of a sick child AND recovering!! You are amazing!! I'm still doing pretty good with the stretching. I really feel like once I get these muscles stretched I will be good as new. I still have the pulling feeling in my groin but I'm sure that takes a while to go away. Can't believe in a couple weeks I will be flying..sure hope I'm ready!
Take care and feel better!!!
 
Thanks Poppet, I don't think it's anything serious right now, just hoping it won't turn into a secondary bacterial infection.

Hey BarbaraR, thanks so much! How are you doing? I've been meaning to ask you for your awesome brownie recipe. I made some about a week ago but wished I had your recipe, they sound delicious but I can't remember where you posted it.

acbelmar, I know, I can't seem to get over this pesky virus! I thought I was over it and then it seemed to start all over again. I can't believe you are so close to going back to work! I will keep you in my prayers. Are you going back full-time? I am glad we had our surgery when we did, it is nice to be at the stage now that spring is emerging.:SUNsmile:
 
I am very lucky. I am very senior at Continental/United so I get great trips. We are allowed to drop trips anytime..another flight attendant has to pick it up from you, but because I have such good trips, its easy to get rid of them. I plan on dropping trips at the beginning of May. When I feel able, I will happily do my first trip. I walked 40 minutes today and went shopping for a little while..and I am beat and my groin is feeling stiff. I'm hoping that goes away soon!!
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom