THR Better late than never

Status
Not open for further replies.
designergirl, nope my sock aid doesn't look anything like that.
Mine is a very cheap plastic thing that I got from the hospital and doesn't work that well
[Bonesmart.org] Better late than never

Here's a pretty good picture of it.
Weezi I got the recipe for the cake off the internet. I googled hostess cupcake recipe and I got several choices. I baked two round chocolate cakes and stacked them with the cream filling in between the layers and then made the chocolate frosting and put the white curly decoration like what's on the cupcakes around the outside of the cake because I wrote on the inside, it turned out cute but no master piece by no means.
 
Weezi
I'm so happy to hear you are finally doing better! It is so frustrating that it takes so long to get back to normal. I guess each day just gets better and better. I stopped using my sock aid about 2-3 weeks ago. Once I could reach my toes and ankles I felt that was time to give up the sock aid. It's such a nice feeling to give up those tools one by one.
I'm back to work part time this week and next week. Then I go back full-time I think, I feel pretty tired even working 3 days a week 5 hours a day. A 40hr week just sounds scary I had the worst time sitting in a straight chair, even though it had padding. I took one of those inflatable pillows that you put around your neck when your on a airplane and sat on it today, that made the chair more tolerable. I need to get up about every hour and walk around or I get awful stiff. My first day back to work I was pretty miserable because I didn't take enough breaks from sitting on that flat surface. You learn something new every day about what you should or shouldn't do to make yourself comfortable.
I hope you see big improvements quickly from now on. I'm still using my cane but I can feel I'm getting to the point it might disappear soon too. The only times I really count on my cane is getting in and out of the car or any chair if I've been sitting for a long time, once I'm up and going I feel more stable. Of course as I mentioned I take my cane when I go to crowded places (shopping) as extra protection, shopping carts work well too.
 
Weezi Hi there, hon! I have to join in on the well wishes,too. So happy you've been somewhat liberated now. I wonder if the swelling is related to going to the store and not using an aid - like the walker? May have been too much weight bearing for the tender tissues? I use a cane still and my PT suggests two canes outside of the house, not for balance, but just to take the weight off of the legs a bit. My legs are sore today from doing a bit too much. It always scares me, I don't want to goof anything up! But I'm glad you're doing better.:)

Well, zauberflöte Land of Limerick has taken a slightly off-color turn, I do believe. We'll have to see where that goes, but I seem to remember in the rules something about that... Anyhow, it's cute to be Land of Limerick, you are so clever! :)

Sock aids.......brilliant devices, aren't they? And so helpful! I imagine we can get use out of them for quite some time - at least 6 weeks. designergirl my aid looks like yours and works like a charm. Wasn't cheap. Hubby got it at a medical supply pharmacy and it cost 15-20$. And my handy hand grabber is even better! That cost us $25, but was well worth it. I'm constantly using it in the shower to pick up the soap. That's tricky! Soap's slippery, but this has rubber textured grippers that are good grabbers! And I use it sometimes to pet the pooches, gives them a nice massage.:puppysmooze:
 
ByGosh I was just mentioning to the hubby that with all the special medical equipment we have purchased, we are well on our way to be supplied for our senior years.
 
I have to admit I used the grabber to keep my dogs from picking up something from the floor that they shouldn't. They respect the grabber. And the cane.
 
designergirl I have so many pieces of equipment from this surgery, I can start a medical supply store! But really, I feel that I need to hang on to them, just in case... Hope I never need them again, but you never know.
My dogs are afraid of the cane because it's always clattering to the floor and scaring the heck out of them. It's like a guillotine falling, the poor things. Life has changed for them. Lots of new things around here, and me not walking them anymore. They must be wondering what's going on.. "Why is she laying on the couch so much? What's all this stuiff around here? When can we go for a nice long walk??":sad:
 
ByGosh my cats are going to think they've died and gone to heaven-- a lap/inert body to sleep on hours at a time!:rotfl: Unfortunately the lap is going to be the ouchie spot (anterior). Hmmmmm:scratch:
 
luluohio,
Hi Lulu! I'm afraid to try to reach that far to put my socks on. I don't know if I am able to do it or not because I feel like something will go wrong if I attempt that. It's been almost a year since I was able to put socks and shoes on normally. My hip was so bad that I lost that ability early on. The in-home physical therapist told me not to sit at me desk for more than an hour without getting up. Your right about those chairs, I had to get a pillow too. My chair has a ton of padding in it without the pillow but still the pillow was a must-have. It seems like someone else said 30 minutes but my memory is not what it used to be. Do you like being back at work? I feel like I'm going a little stir crazy sometimes. I think I'm going to get out and get my hair cut next week. Woo Hoo
 
Hi ByGosh,
I have missed the limericks! You are right, my poor hip is so not ready for full weight bearing. I am gladly back on walker. Be careful what you wish for.... Anyway, I guess I'll go back to physical therapy so I can ease into walking without the walker. Thanks for coming over to my house as zauberflöte would say.

Speaking of zauberflöte, thanks for coming by too. I like your new look, I am thinking of changing mine too. So I went to find the land of limericks and I felt like I just walked into a huge crowd. Yes, it was my first time in the social room. I'm a bit of a recluse most of the time. No pun intended on the "Halloween limerick" LOL. When I read that they were being completely written by the same author. I kind of ducked back into my shell. Ha But it was a ton of fun! I don't think ByGosh minded her thread being used for a little fun. I guess we aren't supposed to do things like that too much?
 
Hi weezy, great news that you can drive again, that will make a huge difference. Pleased things are moving along nicely for you

Take care

Ann
 
Weezi I don't think there was a problem-- Bottomshollow or poppet suggested we take it to Social, so I did. I'm SO sorry, I didn't know you don't like crowds :( All the limer-regulars were there the last time I was there yesterday, doing all the same stuff :) What can we do to entice you? :)
I like my "new look", but it doesn't pop out quite so much as that Christmas tree did. The tree is my "Gravatar" , it goes with my email addy wherever i go--cool! chris
 
[Bonesmart.org] Better late than never
Weezi and zauberflöte, the request to make up the limericks in the Social Room was made because the regular forum should mostly be dealing the hip and knee issues. The Social Room exists so that members can enjoy other activities that are unrelated.

Keep in mind that the forum is totally open to the public except for PMs. So you are always in a crowd since anyone can read and post to anyone's thread. Guests who cannot post to a thread can still read them all.
 
zauberflöte,
I guess I was being a bit of a prude (another good word for a limerick, Ha). After all, the internet itself is one BIG crowd. I saw the post where they suggested we take it to the social room. I read all the posts on my thread before I went to check it out. I was curious to see what it was that was off-color. So I, being all Miss Goody Two Shoes :skep: , was a little surprised when I read the new addition. Haha. You guys handle it very well I thought. I need to be a little more opened minded but not that much. :rotfl: Seriously though, it's going to take a lot more than that to get rid of me participating in the limericks, I'm hooked! I've spent too much time socializing and let my work pile up on me. I put a big dent in it yesterday. I'll be back. HAPPY EASTER! :SUNsmile:
 
bottomshollow :) thanks for reasoning me through it. I wasn't thinking about 'organization of topics" stuff, but I'm sure glad the Social room exists! :) Two OT things for you-- I love your little black cat; I have one too although she has yellow eyes-- is yours part Siamese as mine is? And....... I forgot the arachnid category "car arachnids and aren't i glad I'm in my driveway not on the interstate" :rotfl:
Weezi see you in Limerick!
 
Barbara R.
I think that was alot of nerve that your PT scolded you for not attending a second PT session. I go once a week for similar reasons. I am back at work and to come from my job to where the PT is would take about an hour in rush hour traffic. I don't have the energy. I'm 9 weeks out and been back to work 3 weeks. The energy drain is not quite as bad most days as it was at first but , I'm with you and I am not gonna push it. If I have to stop at the store near home after work it's rough.
I discussed it with my OS he was fine with me gonna once a week, he said "at least you are going" alot can't or don't choose to go.
 
Hi all,
Just when I felt like things were taking a turn for the better, life takes a detour. My entire family came down with a virus and it's lasted over a week now. My husband came down with it first, then my two younger ones, then my eldest and myself. I haven't been back to PT since before my 6 week follow up with OS. Between being sick myself and having children home from school I haven't been able to return. My OS said it wouldn't be necessary to continue going much longer. The receptionist at physical therapy told me they would send my OS an update prior to my 6 week appt. OS did not mention it and he asked how far along I was in PT. I doubt I'll go back as my walking has improved and only need to use my cane when I've been on my feet for long periods of time. Of course, I may change my mind once I'm feeling better. It's hard to be proactive when your not feeling well. I do think the worst is over and maybe I can trade this in for spring fever.:flwrysmile:
 
Oh the dreaded viruses.. hopefully, not bacterial ?
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom