THR Better late than never

Status
Not open for further replies.
You know I'm really glad I'm not doing formal PT. Knowing me, I'd give them a piece of my mind if they made me do things that hurt too much. I just walk and go up and down stairs (the normal way now) and some exercises with the elastic band. My muscles don't hurt too much, which makes sleeping so much easier. Reading about all these aggressive PT sessions make me think they do more harm than good. My way may not be for everyone, this is part of knowing your own bodies limits. Some may benefit greatly from PT, I'm not one of them.
 
Hi Weezi sounds like you are doing fabulous my lovely friend !!! I had to repeatedly tell my Physio who I also developed a bond with through sometimes tears , slight heated conversation and general discussion :) that I would not be doing certain exercises like some band work because it caused me too much pain the next day and had me out of action !
Indeed as the wise team says your progress is individual I ditched the cane appx two weeks ago and I'm nine weeks now but that is my own journey . If I needed it for another two weeks I would have utilized it but they say when you start forgetting it all over the house that is one of the best indicators that your body is getting more independent , I know my spirit was ready from the first day!!!

If any Physio exercises cause you grief please cancel them out and as anniepops said get stronger by walking at your own pace with the walker is fine it's all exercise , slow and steady and the tortoise won the race !
Lots of sunshine and hugs to you xxxxxx
 
stargirl,
Oh I am so glad to hear from you my good friend! How are you doing these days? I am glad your walking without your cane, it really is so wonderful! I have to get to an appointment but I will come by and catch up with you after while.

Talk to you soon! :friends:
Weezi
 
sansabosa I don't remember him but... wow. Nope I can't say I could do that. We all know on here that our legs will return to being better than they were, it just takes time and time is what we have to give them. I think with all the exercise I am getting from my PT they will be better than ever.
Weezi I have followed your lead...I went grocery shopping today with my husband. I used the cart as my walker. My legs did get tired and felt a little sore but I did it and then went to PT and survived that and then came home and baked a cake for my daughters birthday and made supper and I'm still awake...:egypdance:
 
Well done sandybeach! I am quite impressed, especially over the fact that after the grocery you made a cake and did dinner! That's some WONDER WOMAN action going on there! Did you check LarryG's story out on Fionn's thread? It gave me goose bumps. I won't be running off to go snorkeling or climb in a boat anytime soon. What kind of cake did you make, now I want some. LOL! I did make dinner last night and got up very early to make 24 hotdogs for my little one's class field trip. It doesn't beat your making a cake though. :thumb:
 
:yay: I've been released! Doc says I can walk without walker as long as I feel balanced. I neglected to mention to him that I was already walking around my house. He also gave me the green light to drive! Hubby is super happy about that. We went to pick up some "thank you" cards after the doctor visit and left my walker in the car. I must admit, I missed my walker while we were in the store. There's a big difference in being at home and being out in public. I am going to take my walker with me when I go out just in case.
 
Yay Weezi that is great news! You'll be a totally mobile hippy. When you start driving, just go a small distance on side streets just to get the feel of things. I think you had a super cautious doctor, which is far better than the opposite. We do want this hip to last a very long time. I know when I'm released from my 90 degree restrictions in 11 days, I'm not going full speed ahead. I think the sock aid will continue to use until I really feel secure bending to that extreme. btw, in the grocery store, I found the cart very much helped me like a walker when I was first venturing out.
 
designergirl,
It will be a while before I am able to put socks on. Besides the sock aid works perfect every time. It's one of my favorite tools. Thanks for the advice on driving, that's a great idea because I'm just a little hesitant about it. Fortunately I am able to work from home so I can ease into driving. My OS said that I will always be on restriction, I found that a bit confusing. I don't plan on going hiking or running a marathon anytime in the near future but I figured the 90 degree restrictions would eventually be lifted. I haven't done very much since the surgery except for the one trip to the grocery and physical therapy visits. I really didn't notice any pain or swelling until yesterday. We were out for a while but I only went to the doctor and the pharmacy to pick up cards. This morning my hip is swelling and painful so I am back on ice. Oh the irony...
 
I really love the sock tool also. I wish I had it a year ago. I even used it to put on tights. Worked like a charm!
 
Weezi,....I used the sock aid for the first time today and after some trial and error got it to work...I also had great fun trying to undress...shower...get dressed by myself!....it took awhile.....but showers are wonderful :)
 
Weezi hi
Great news!!!
İm so glad for you.
The sock aid is my favorite tool as well)))
Take care
Selin
 
Weezi is your sock aid a plastic thing that curves around your sock with a string on both sides....you place your foot into it and pull it out with the strings? I am just wondering if everyone's is like that or different. I find the one I have hard to use unless the socks are really lose fitting. The cake recipe I made for my daughter I got offline, it was a hostess cupcake cake. It turned out really good, a big version of one. I have decorated cakes for years so my kids never know what they're gonna get as a birthday cake.
 
Hey clifford149, I really love that sock aid. I like the long shoe horn too but it doesn't work so well with floppy boots. :heehee: It does take quite a bit of time to get ready to go out. I still need help sometimes. I put a chair in my shower and think it will remain there for good. Sometimes I'll stay in there for up to 45 minutes and you are so right, they are wonderful!

sansabosa
Thanks Selin, it was good news! I had to go back to the walker this afternoon though. I guess I did a bit too much cause I have some swelling w/pain so I am going to ease into the going it alone.
 
My sock aid looks like this. [Bonesmart.org] Better late than never
 
sandybeach,
I ended up with two hip kits so I have two sock aids. I have one solid plastic one like you described and the one I've been using is similar shape only smaller and covered in cloth. The sock end has two cut outs making it resemble a W. That W makes it pliable so you can squeeze in that end to pull a sock over. I don't think I could use the solid plastic one, it's much bigger. The cupcake cake is such a great idea! Is it your recipe? If you get a chance, I would love to know what it looks like.
 
Weezi I have finally caught up to your thread, whew! I am so glad the bad experience is well behind you. I know that when the time is right, you will take appropriate action regarding that.
And yeeee-haaaawwww you can drive and no walker!!!!!!:happydance:
You sound like possibly the strongest woman I've ever met. I hope I have your grace and styrength, should I need it :)
See you in Limerick-ville!
 
I kind of wish I had two sock aids. I'm always taking it up and down the stairs depending on where I'm getting dressed. Cupcake cake sounds really yummy right now....
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

  • benne68
    Staff member since February 4, 2022
  • djklaugh
    Staff member since December 30, 2020

Members online

Back
Top Bottom