Better and better!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Your knee does look great! I took a trip to Milwaukee at six months out that went very well. Take advantage of opportunities to elevate and, if possible, ice. I didn’t ice (and wished a few times I could have), but I did elevate and appreciated the relief. No real problems, but with the extra activity, the knees swelled a bit more at night.
 
Good idea to ice, I will have to buy those freezer packs from a store. Can’t pack them, I am flying. But will take every opportunity to elevate and ice!
 
I was on my iPad this afternoon when I discovered I had no WiFi connection in my home. The modem lights were off. My Internet was down. I panic, tried to reboot the modem, nothing. I saw the electric plugs
, got down-on my hands and KNEEs to check. Got up and realized , I was on my knees on a hardwood floors! Wow!
My electric,was off in the neighborhood, back on after 2hours.
 
Wow!!! How do your knees feel now? Are they upset with you?
 
That’s great, my 8 month old knee protests even when I kneel on the bed to change sheets. I’m beginning to wonder if it will ever feel okay.
 
The left knee was replaced, the right knee has no arthritis. I can kneel on the bed, and on pad. But I never went straight down on hardwood floor without a thought.
 
Wow, I’m impressed. I was never able to kneel on the bed with the first TKA and wasn’t expecting kneeling to in my future. Who knows...
 
It's great the way our new knees become so normal they just do whatever the brain says. Stairs. Floors. Kind of amazing when you get down to it. I still think when getting down on the floor or kneeling, but I can totally see just doing it. It's good to know you can!
 
Suggestion for your trip. Instead of buying freezer packs at you destination try taking a couple of gallon zip locks with you. I used them to ice my knees in hotels. You could even ask the flight attendant for some ice on the plane if your knee starts to bother you.
 
Good idea @Chemist and cheaper! This is my first trip alone since surgery. I am not concerned about TSA. On previous trips I always seem to get the pat down! And the hand dusting. I am an old lady!
 
I just got back from India. Security is no issue. Tell them you have a TKR and they will have you go through the scanner. No pat down necessary - I just felt sorry for the poor folks that had to look at my scan :heehee:. My knee handled the 15 hour flight with no issues, just had to stand up periodically. I also used compression socks to help with swelling.
 
Wow. That is excellent progress. I have a card to carry in my wallet, a prosthesis passport. When I fly, I will show it to security.
 
If security are doing their job properly, they will take no notice of the prosthesis passport. They should still scan you - because those cards can so easily be forged.

I've travelled extensively and been scanned, wanded, patted down, always with care.
It's not a big deal, but you do need to allow extra time for going through security.
 
Since I started my thread later in my recovery. The only picture I took in my early days. About 3 weeks post op.
 

Attachments

  • [Bonesmart.org] Better and better!
    FC996A66-FE32-4DF7-A32C-B4F802076071.jpeg
    82.8 KB · Views: 271
I want to add a story of having minor orthopedic surgery about 25 years ago. It has nothing to do with a knee replacement, but all to do will impatient and healing. I had a morton's neuroma removed from left foot. I foolishly thought after surgery I could pick up and do exactly what I did before. My foot remained swollen for many months , unable to wears regular shoes. I attempted to run 4 weeks later, and failed.
I looked back at that experience over 25 years ago of pain, swelling,disappointment, and unable wear regular shoes for months. I know knee replacement is major surgery, a neuroma is minor.

That minor surgery in retrospective taught me to be patient, and understand that surgery on a weight bearing part of the body takes plenty of time to heal.
 
@NancyEn
I took the below picture last night. I am sitting on block. I will do a child pose and my husband snap the picture. Couldn’t do both at the same time. Love all your props!
 

Attachments

  • [Bonesmart.org] Better and better!
    33A6E69B-D430-4A26-B1BB-573E08F36D82.jpeg
    57.3 KB · Views: 314
The last time I sat like that was when I was about 23 and my knee got "stuck" and someone else had to pull on my leg to straighten it. It was so painful I have never dared sit like that. However I could sit with my knees out and feet pulled in and get flexion like that. Still can on my unoperated knee. Operated knee, not even close. I am impressed!
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.
Back
Top Bottom