Best practices for OS to diagnose and recommend a THR

Yes there is alot of info @SelfHelp. I'll go over the print outs about every day till then. The surgery team will repeat it also. I'm excited, can't wait, can't wait, can't wait! :happydance:

@Mojo333, honestly, I am more anxious than excited about my upcoming THR surgery. Lots of thoughts and worries. Wish I was on the other side, all recovered and knew what a new hip feels like. There is also this risk of infecting the hip, a risk I don't quite understand.
But a bone on bone hip will not recover and THR is only solution. Need to learn to deal with consequences.

Last edited:
Oh, you are just like me.
I was giving julesglass the prize.
But she has had one hip replaced and knows it will rid her of hip pain and get her back to her life.

Before my surgery...I was anxious and nervous and trying not to play the What If Game also.
Trust your surgeon and we will be cheering for you .

What types of chairs do you all sit on during your 6 week recovery? Recommendation says that sitting height should be 2" above the knee. I am larger size, 6'3" 250 lb and have to avoid the couch, they are too low and soft for me. Chairs are ok if I use a Cushion to raise the height, but most chairs don't have armrests for arms to support lowering and raising from the chair. I wonder what type of chairs you used during your recovery?
My office chair has armrests and is very comfortable for hours. Would you advise sitting in an office chair that swivels and has rollers for your recovery?

Morning @SelfHelp. It's good to be looking for a comfortable chair. I took the advice of getting a recliner. When I went shopping for one I used the back of my knees to test the seat height and sat down like I would after surgery. I then tested the lever to put my feet up. Was it long enough for me to reach without twisting, was it easy to pull. It took several stores to find the prefect fit. There's a chair out there just right for you and I found it was a good investment. I sleep in mine during the days as I recovered. Pillows are your best friends. I built a fort of pillows around me in bed so my dog would not get too close. You're on the right track about chairs. I also have a office chair that I can sit in however I wouldn't roll around in it due to having to lean forward to roll it. It does depend on any restrictions your surgeon gives you for your recovery if any. Take heart my friend, it's so much easier than you think. This isn't my first rodeo and I'm sooo ready to get it done :horseriding:

@julesglass , thanks! My approach will be posterior with the standard 3 precautions for 6 weeks. I have a recliner, but need a chair to sit at the dining table or desk. A chair without armrests is not usable. Office chairs have armrests, but they are not stable, they can roll and swivels. Did you use an office chair during the 6 week recovery period, was that workable?

No, can't say I did use my office chair. My daughter and family was living with me at the time and that chair was being used in their room. I took meals in my recliner with a cutting board for a tray. Going to be different this time around as my kid doesn't live here now ( thank goodness). My sister-in-law is going to stay with me the first week at least.

You been through this once before and have the benefit of experience. But I imagine I'll need more sitting areas than the recliner, probably will sit hours at the computer desk, to read and keep the mind busy.

Try not to sit for hours at computer since you need to ice and especially elevate. I think I used recliner elevated most of the time including sleeping for quite a few nights - it was easier getting up from for bathroom runs without disturbing my husband who was upstairs anyways and would not hear me easily. After a bit rotated between bed and recliner and chair with arm rests - I actually ended up buying chairs we are using now on our patio that had arm rests since none of my chairs at home had arm rests or were high enough and I used one indoors - nice sturdy chairs. Just be aware of the need to ice and elevate a lot especially at first.

@leejaa , thanks for the reminder. Plan to ice and elevate first few days in the recliner until swelling and pain is under control. I am thinking what to do and where to sit rest of the 6 weeks? I plan to start working from home.
I have similar setup as you, recliner is downstairs and bedroom upstairs. Probably I will be released same day of surgery. Not sure I will want to take the stairs evening after the surgery? Plan to try sleeping on the recliner downstairs at least 1st night. Take the stairs once I feel stronger and more confident on my hip. That is the plan.

Hi, @SelfHelp I took the stairs the day I was released from surgery as our bedroom is upstairs in our two story house. I was easily able to get upstairs, albeit very slowly, and didn't come down the first couple of days. I have a small recliner upstairs, but it's broken so wouldn't have been much good as an alternate sitting/sleeping place. But I suspect you'll be surprised at how quickly you'll be able to maneuver those stairs to get from one level to the other. Sure, you won't be bounding, but slowly and surely, and without pain, you will be able to get around. After dealing with serious hip pain, it will be a real relief and joy to move again. Best of luck to you--it's July 1 so you're on the home stretch now!

Hello SelfHelp :wave:
PT will teach you how to navigate stairs before you're discharged. It felt like a scary prospect to me but was easy peasy. I'll bet you'll feel the same. Many are forced to navigate stairs multiple times per day due to their living situation. I comfortably, and surprisingly, slept in a recliner for the first three weeks. I wedged soft pillows in the sides and felt like a baby wrapped tightly in a blanket, lol. Only nine days to go! I hope it moves quickly.
Wishing you comfort as you await your date. :friends:
@SelfHelp

Not sure I will want to take the stairs evening after the surgery? Plan to try sleeping on the recliner downstairs at least 1st night.
I agree. First night - in fact, first few nights - in the recliner would be a jolly good idea.

Thank you, @Josephine @Layla and @Barbaraj!
Question about driving. I surprised to learn that once you are off medication and OS has cleared you, you can start driving again, usually week 2 - 3. Don't you worry about breaking the 90 degree precautions while sitting behind the wheel and overeating the car in traffic? What was your experience?

Good Morning,
Your big day is drawing near and you'll soon be on the healing side. I'm excited for you, you're going to love the result this amazing surgery delivers.

My OS releases patients to drive as long as they're off heavy narcotics. I'd say the average person drives around the 3-4 week mark (post op) from what I read daily. Some wait longer. I was released to drive at my first post op appointment which was three weeks, after THR. I waited another week, only by choice and not needing to drive.

My OS didn't impose any restrictions other than to move slowly and if anything hurt, stop. I never had a problem getting into, or out of the car. The only concern you need is to have is the reassurance you're comfortable hitting the brake which can be practiced beforehand if you live in a neighborhood with low traffic. Otherwise, have someone take you to an empty parking lot for a trial run. As you can imagine, it's no big deal and a great feeling and milestone to regain that independence.

Following is a video on acccessing your vehicle. If you find it difficult, place a large trash bag on the seat which allows you to swivel forward facing (windshield) with relative ease. I used this helpful hint on my ride home from the surgery center. Works like a charm.
http://bonesmart.org/forum/threads/thr-getting-into-and-out-of-bed-bath-and-car.36912/

You'll be out on the big bad road driving with confidence in no time. :driver:
Wishing you comfort as you await next Wednesday. Stay in touch, we'd love to follow your journey. :)
@SelfHelp

Last edited:
Hey, @SelfHelp, I waited a full 6 weeks to start driving again, relying upon my chauffeuring husband and friends to get around. But I had a right hip replacement, and took to heart the warnings about making sure you would be comfortable slamming on the brakes if need be before returning to driving. This time around, with my left hip, I suspect I'll be driving much sooner. But I think the return to driving is really a matter of personal choice and confidence once you're released by your physician

It really depends on how you are doing and if it safe - breaking if it is your right hip, leaning forward to reach is not acceptable. Where you are driving is also a consideration as far as distance, traffic, etc.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Jaycey
    ADMINISTRATOR Staff member since February 2011

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
Dave4562
Recent bookmarks

Latest posts