Revision TKR Beginning my recovery.

@Vangheluwec , congratulations on your surgery! I am sorry you are having so much trouble with the nurses. Please don't be afraid to speak up for yourself. I agree about contacting the Patient Advocate. They can be lifesavers. Keeping you in my prayers.
 
I know that I can have the pills every 4 hours and the pump whenever u want it. My mom will be talking to other staff about my nurse from earlier.


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
Congratulations on your surgery. If you have a problem day or night you can ask to talk to the nursing supervisor. There is at least one in each hospital day and night. You'll only have to do this once!!
 
Ok I did not know they had supervisors each shift.


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
@Vangheluwec ... I've moved your posts to your own recovery thread as you requested. Here are some basic recovery articles for you to read. Please don't hesitate to post with any questions or concerns you may have.

First are the BoneSmart mantras ....

- rest, elevate, ice and take your pain meds by the clock
- if it hurts, don't do it and don't allow anyone - especially a therapist (PT) - to do it to you
- if your leg swells more or gets stiffer in the 24 hours after doing it, don't do it again
- if you won't die if it's not done, don't do it
- never stand when you can sit, never sit when you can lie down, never stay awake when you can go to sleep!
- be active as much as you need to be but not more than is necessary, meaning so much that you end up being in pain, exhausted or desperate to sit down or lie down!

Next is a FAQ (Frequently Asked Questions) thread.

And here are some very crucial articles

The importance of managing pain after a TKR and the pain chart
Myth busting: no pain, no gain
Swollen and stiff knee: what causes it?
Activity progression for TKRs
Healing: how long does it take?
Chart representation of TKR recovery
Energy drain for TKRs
Elevation is the key
Ice to control pain and swelling
Home physio (PT) and activity progress: suggestions
Myth busting: the "window of opportunity" in TKR
Myth busting: on getting addicted to pain meds
Post op blues is a reality - be prepared for it
Sleep deprivation is pretty much inevitable - but what causes it?

And then some wise words from members who have shared their experiences ...
Where are you in recovery?? (TKR)
Five “P’s” of knee recovery
TKR: work “smarter” and not “harder”
Recovering a knee - from one who knows!
It's never too late to get more ROM!
It's worth the wait for ROM
 
@Vangheluwec Have they been putting ice on your knee at all? I didn't have a drain but when I was in bed I had ice on it almost constantly.
 
I merged your two TKR recovery threads, as per forum protocol. A member is allowed on one recovery thread, as it is so much easier to see everything in one thread---your progression, your issues, your questions---in one thread----rather than bouncing around from thread to thread.

That way, we can get you the answers and the advice you need faster, more accurately, and more easily.
 
Some surgeons use a drainage tube and some don't. It's just one of the minor differences in protocols that happen, based on the surgeons' preferences and experience.

I had a drainage tube for my PKR in 2000, but the different surgeon who did both my TKRs (in 2011 and 2014) didn't use them. It didn't seem to make much difference to my recoveries.
 
Yes they have kept ice on it the entire time.


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
i hope you are able to stay on top of the pain and you get some sleep. I'm a nurse and I would never let someone stay in pain. Hopefully the other nurses are much more responsive to you. If you are getting pain meds as ordered and you are still in pain make sure to tell your doctor in the morning. I hope yore feeling better soon.
 
Thank you it was just the one set of nurses my other ones have been great I ring the bell and they are right their. Last night I wanted to wash up she helped me by getting everything together. Most nurses are great but their are the few.


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
Ok day 2 after surgery. I am really stiff and feel a bit swollen a little bit of pain. The pain pump helps. I am able to get up and transfer myself to the commode and get back in bed. So that is good. The aid said I'm doing good on that part because usually people have a hard time getting their leg in and out of bed. The cpm machine hurts a little bit feels good after a few minutes. It was hard sleeping I think I woke up every hour on the hour lol.


Rtkr nov 5 2015.
 
Got my first bandage change today. I have surgical glue and steri strips holding the insisting. Just had the drain tube taken out.
[Bonesmart.org] Beginning my recovery.



Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
Congratulations on your new knee- it sounds like you're doing well! The day after surgery I was schlepping myself to the bathroom and washing up at the sink, however I needed help getting my heavy leg back into bed. Luckily I had a private room with a little fold-out window seat/bed for a guest. My daughter was allowed (encouraged!) to spend the night so she could assist me and help with the little things. My hospital did a study that indicated patient satisfaction rates improve dramatically when a support person is allowed to stay. I hope you have a support person, too. Sleep in the hospital can be elusive- stay on top of your pain meds, limit visitors, take lots of catnaps, and you'll be fine.
 
Ian lucky to have a private room also. My mom and daughter visit a couple times adapt. Pt should be here in a little bit to show me how to walk on my new knee.


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
Good Luck, Vangheluwec! Hope things get better for you. My surgery is Monday.
 
Thank you they started me on percocet to see how that will help.


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum and good luck on yours Monday.
 
So my percocet was due at noon I called them in at 1145 to make sure I could get it then. It's now 1215 and she just called the pharmacy. It's impossible to stay ahead of the pain at this hospital. I just want to go home I think I will be better their because then I can take pain meds more often when it's not at an 8-9 on pain scale.


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom