THR Beckylou's hip hip hooray May 20th

Status
Not open for further replies.
:yikes: just read that there is a chance of snow here in Auckland! On the Waitakere ranges, that's not too far from my house. Thankfully I'm not there for another week or so, but it's still pretty cold here.
 
octopus - I'm in sunny hawkes bay so we tend to get pretty nice weather most of the time. It is meant to turn tomorrow but it is usually quite short lived. I have my friends doing the kindy/school runs so I am reluctant to ask them to ferry me around. I have friends coming for coffee this morning and tomorrow so that is enough to break the day up. Hubby can drive me around on the weekend. I will start doing short trips next week on my own (OS said to give it a week or so) but won't resume mom taxi until the following week.

Doing most things around the house now, just not at the same pace.

3 days since I have had any pain killers and have very little discomfort if any at all. WOWWOWOWOW!!!:bicycle1:
 
beckylou maybe we are in sort of the same place. There are house things I don't do yet-- stooping for litter boxes comes to mind, and stripping and remaking the water bed-- too much heavy twisting on that. Also if hubby is home, and the cooking is ok for him to do, I let him do it :wink: Just moving slowly, as you say. I vacuumed a little today, in the approved "center of the room" manner!!! And center of the other room, and the foyer, and the hall.... and ok I vacuumed all the way to the edges:rotfl: It did not kill me yet!
So you are off tylenol/paracetamol too?? I'm down to 1/2 percocet at night+2 tylenol+2 advil. During the day I take 2 tylenol+2 advil every 5 hours, and it's the rest of my body that needs it I think!! I do mean to post a 4-week update today, may yet get to it.
 
I think I'm moving to Hawkes Bay, or maybe the Far North!

You're doing really well! That's good news, not needing the pain killers anymore.
 
5 Week update from me!

zauberflöte, SeaSiren, TennisNut, jellybean. kiwigirl
-Hubby back at work last week. I get the kids ready, make breakfast, lunches & dinner. Do laundry, vacuuming and tidying. Certainly not as quickly as before but still gets done. Still not cleaning showers or toilets but who would want to rush those jobs. I can change beds and had a big tidy of my daughter's toys and clothing yesterday.
- almost no pain with the exception of tenderness around the incision if I press on it. All the thigh/knee pain I had in the early days is long gone.
-Can't seem to sit on my heels - when kneeling on the ground if I try to sit back on my heels the top of my knees scream with tightness. Rectus femoris are tight I presume!
-sleep good, appetite too good (+2 kgs from post op weight)
-Today I went for a 50 minute walk (with cane to avoid limping) and danced with the kids for 30minutes after dinner (and 2 glasses of wine).
- Started on some more advanced physio I found on the net.
-Doing stairs like I used to (one step per foot).
-Still using a raised toilet seat and cushions on chairs to increase height.
-Have been driving on my own and plan to start doing the school runs next week.
-sleep well on my unop side and have done since day 2 post op. No more naps but do find I am tired in the evenings.

Now my big challenge is if I go ahead and do my left hip in August. OS and I had talked about doing it next year as it has not been as bad as the right but now I can feel how stiff and heavy it feels to the new one.

Gosh I will be a great dancer when I have the pair done! hahaha
 
Sounds like you are doing great! So nice to read a positive recovery story. Very encouraging.

I love dancing with the kids too. We do it in the kitchen while I am cooking as usually I have the radio on. They love it ;-) They don't love my singing though haha
 
Poppet or Josephine or anyone ideas on this??

Quick question. I got a blister walking yesterday morning and now it is quite red bordering on infection. I put some antibacterial cream on it as it is middle of the night. Is this something I should get antibiotics for just to be safe? Or would you wait and see if it gets better in the next 24 hrs?
 
beckylou.....wow great to hear how well you are doing. I am off for my 12 week check tomorrow, a couple of days early but close enough lol. Over the last week I have turned another corner. The pain I had when I first started off walking is gone so now I just up from my seat and I am off!! Still have to make sure I am concentrating or I seem to default limp haha, after 30 yrs I guess it is normal for it to be a bit habitual. I am so so close to being able to tie my laces but no quite!
 
kiwigirl, happy to hear you have turned another corner. Please let me know once you can tie those shoes!

Back to doing the school and kindy driving today. Managing 1 hour walks most days and just starting some basic pilates. Look forward to getting the strength and ROM back!
 
zauberflöte SeaSiren octopus jellybean

Week 7 update - otherwise known as 'what hip replacement?'

Seriously, did I have a hip replacement 7 weeks ago? I am now back to most daily activities to pre op levels. Now that I am looking after the kids an house I am not going out for walks everyday but am very active. IN a few weeks time I will up the exercise - cycling/swimming but I know it would be too much right now as I am tired come the end of the day.

The incision is still tender to put pressure on so it reminds me that I am still recovering. I am still observing the restrictions but do find I am starting to forget about them from time to time.

It's funny because I slept so well for the first 6 weeks post op but now am getting into quite a bad pattern of night time waking. Just making sure I go to bed much earlier so I can get 6-7 hours in even if I am up for few hours in the middle of the night.

I don't see the OS until December so the plan is to just get on with living! Shame that the left hip is now starting to play up. Not enough to warrant pain meds but it is reminding me that it isn't as limber as my new one! I would say I will be back for replacement #2 before a year is up!
 
Wow! Sounds fantastic! Good idea to pace yourself, wise lady! I had the same thing with sleeping. I slept incredibly well after surgery, but once the first six weeks or so was over and my body was not so exhausted, and didn't need so much, I slept really badly. I have managed to get better sleep again, with the help of some new curtains. :)
 
beckylou wow, what an update! You are a marvel :) I'm sorry about the not sleeping so well, but it sounds like you've got a plan for that too. Keep us posted about things, ok?
How do you find heavy lifting? One of my typical weekly activities is shifting 7-10 ten pound bags of cat litter from store shelf to cart (and wheel that 70+ lb load around the store...) to car to house. I'm having to break it up into 3-bag-max loads, and hubby carries them into the house for me. Are you lifting the little one normally yet?
 
octopus, I think the great sleep was really part of healing. I think now I am back to my pre-op tossing and turning!

zauberflöte, I do pick up my daughter - she is about 35lbs. I bend a the knees and don't seem to have any problem.

The one thing that I really struggle with is kneeling down. The area above my knee caps feels really tight if I try to sit on my heels. This is the insertion point of the muscle that runs to the hip so I guess all the lack of movement has tightened things.
 
beckylou yeah I hae the same sensation in my knee-- I used to enjoy sitting on my heels, as i couldn't sit cross-legged on the foor, and probably still won't be able to b/c of other hip. I'm not pushing things, that stretch will come along. i tend to curl my legs under the computer chair more than is good for me, but it does stretch the quad LOL.
We're doing GOOD!! :)
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom