THR Beckylou's hip hip hooray May 20th

Status
Not open for further replies.
Good to know your tummy woke up & you had successful 'loo time' ... beckylou :tada:I'm heading home tomorrow too... can't wait. (hope my tummy wakes up soon!!! prunes & juice no luck thus far):groan:
 
Good grief. I feel a bit woe is me posting but this is the road to recovery. Had a good morning, quite wiped by the avo. When it was time to go to sleep I had a tramadol and was wired. Nursing staff today hasn't been that flash and the nausea has returned to boot. My leg is quite sore (3) and I want some more pain relief but seems to be a juggle between pain or nausea.

kiwigirl, I definatelt think I want a decent pillow for between my legs. faffing around with pillows is a real pain.

OK - question!!!! when I sleep on my side I feel a stretch (for lack of a better word) in my operated hip. Does this mean I need more pillows or is this just the normal tightness of the wound?
 
beckylou Well bummer for the nausea etc. You know, my hospital nurse said that their aim was to keep my pain at a 4:yikes: So I inflated all my numbers after that, to keep up the pain meds :)
I sleep on the non-op side too, but did not do that in the hospital-- the bed was too hard. I have this huge fluffy king pillow that I was already using, and it's keeping my legs far enough apart for comfort. As to the 'stretching", last nght my ice went warm in the middle of the night, but I stayed in bed and slept. Paying for it this morning-- today is day 3, and I'm more swollen than I have been yet! I think I need more ice packs, so I'm not rotating just the two huge ones. freezer not that fast I guess.
Is your nursing staff good with the ice? I got lucky-- I had as many as I wanted, as often as I wanted. It was wonderful. I used so much I ran the ice machine into the ground LOL!!
 
zauberflöte, ice is definately as good as most pain killers and in my case better as there is no nausea! Some nurses are better than others - my main nurse for the first 4 days was brilliant with the ice and yesterday I had to keep asking. I don't actually have any packs at home so will have to use peas until I get that sorted today. snigger

I am on day 5 and heading home. Can't wait!!!
 
Yahooooooo beckylou home James, and don't spare the horses! It will be very good to have ice for the ride home, and a new pack for resting when you get there (I know, "Mommy! Mommy!!!) I don't know if this can be made to work for kids and bilateral (you did have both? Do I remember right?) but I have no problem with a cat on my lap so long as I keep a cushion as the support layer. The cats love it too-- much more stable than a lap LOL
 
beckylou, hope your journey home went smoothly and I'm sure you will get a big welcome from your hubby and little ones - they must have missed you.Try to take it easy and let everyone wait on you. I was so excited when I got home that I quite overdid it and ended up pooped in bed!
 
I've been posting around the place but thought I would update my thread. Last few days have been really good. Going for small walks, showering, dressing, up & down the stairs 4-5 x a day. I make sure I lie down and ice every few hours and take a nap or two a day as required. Nausea and foggy head all gone. Now on panadol 4x a day and ibuprofen 3x.

Sun is out again today so look forward to more walks!
 
[Bonesmart.org] Beckylou's hip hip hooray May 20th
beckylou. You seem to be doing everything just right. Just add s l o w l y to what you're doing as the days go by; and the next thing you know----life will be just about back to "normal".

Take care and keep us posted. We care. [Bonesmart.org] Beckylou's hip hip hooray May 20th
 
This may be a good one Josephine!

My OS told me I would have a Corail uncemented and a tritanium cup with liner (can't recall the name of this).

Got my hospital bill today and in the breakdown of the prothesis there are charges for cement - cement mixing and the cement itself. Humf?

I have an appt with the OS at the end of the week but this really has me wondering. Is the cup cemented?
 
Definitely question that bill. If you are having uncemented they should not be charging your for cement or prep! It's always a good idea to look at the details. Many times "standard" bills are issued based on the "average" patient - not your particular situation.

Or - the other option is that your OS changed his/her mind once he accessed the situation. This happens often as Jo would agree. Perhaps given the condition of your hip they decided cemented would be better. But do ask and let us know what you find out.
 
Good for you to look at that bill and really go thru it. Let us know what you find out. Take care. Tashia
 
uh oh there is the wall......hit it head on!!!!!!!!!!!!

Today is marked by nausea, pain and no energy. Things were going so well.

Hubby's car died this morning, my friend who was going to take me for a walk cancelled. Not a great start. I need to get some good books and movies - so bored with internet, magazines and such. Kids have been home sick for the past 3 days. Not helping matters much as hubby is stretched.....A friend is coming to help out for the weekend. Wee
 
[Bonesmart.org] Beckylou's hip hip hooray May 20th
but fortunately, it usually gets better. Hang in there, sweetie, it is very early days---the best is yet to come.

Take care and keep us posted. We care. [Bonesmart.org] Beckylou's hip hip hooray May 20th
 
beckylou,Hi, I have been thinking of you and hope things have picked up after last week and that you and the children are feeling better. What a lovely friend to turn up to help for the weekend - some people just know exactly what is needed. I have some wonderful friends who have turned up with all the ingredients for a meal and cooked it in my kitchen whilst keeping me company and others who turn up and take me out for lunch. It means so much and makes all the difference.
How is the pain and nausea? I have a lot of stiffness in my hip and sore muscles which ache right down to my foot. I am taking Paracetamol every 4-6 hours again having reduced to twice a day last week. I suppose as I get more mobile this is to be expected. I am on one crutch but not nearly ready to give it up - my leg doesn't have the strength yet and I lurch from side to side without it. However I remember lurching last time at this stage and feeling I would never walk properly again and then suddenly at 7 weeks I was limp free. Did you get to see your OS last week? How did you get on? Take care, Fiona
 
Hi beckylou, hope things in your household have calmed down a bit. Sick kids and recovery from major surgery - a tough combo! Glad you have understanding friends and family. That is SO important.
 
hey beckylou I hope things have smoothed down nicely. Yeah, sick kids, mom recovering from THR, terrible pairing. But it may be the cause of your wall? If your lids are like mine were, you are up and down all night long with them when they're sick. Mine were 6 and 3 when I was your age. his is not nice, but 'm glad I'm not the only one with nausea that comes and goes. I can't place what causes it, either, Usually comes on late afternoon or early evening and I have to think very carefully about what I want to eat for supper.
Did you get some new books and movies? We've got netflix, and I'm giving it quite a workout :)

I am taking Paracetamol every 4-6 hours again having reduced to twice a day last week.
Nice to meet you, inca1 ! That's all you're taking?????? I am very impressed. I'm still at 1 1/2 oxycodone+tylenol (pretty sure that's paracetamol) plus 1/2 tylenol every blessed 6 hours. If i didn't, I'd hurt too badly to move!
I just cannot imagine getting safely around with a crutch... glad I wasn't given one! I'm doing well with my one cane for poking out into doorways so nobody runs me down-- hubby tried to bowl me over again today; this time he was riding his rolling office chair and rolled backwards right at me:yikes: I hid behind the bookshelf LOL
 
inca1, I'm doing great thanks. In the past week I have had just one bad day with low energy and feeling frustrated/upset. Otherwise recovery is slow but sure. I haven't been nauseated for days so think I have got over that one. I have been taking probitoics and eating well so maybe my gut needed post op repair. The pain does come and go, I am also uncemented (ceramic on poly). My incision feels tender most of the time but if I overdo things I can feel it in my knee and thigh. I am only doing a few 10 minute walks daily, my physio exercises then up and down our stairs about 10x. I am keen to do more but think it will tip the balance with pain. Still on full dose of paracetamol and 2 doses of nurofen a day. I only saw the OS nurse to get my clips out but apparently the wound is healing really well. At the moment I head out every 2 days for a little outing but hope to do it daily this week so I can regain some sense of normalcy! You sound like you are doing great.
 
zauberflöte, thankfully over the nausea bump - hope you get there soon!. I am still on 2 crutches but will move to a cane in a week or so as I feel like I am just taking them for a walk. Kids are much better and will be at school this week so that will be a nice break (one that I needed LAST week but what can you do?). Managed to get some good reading lined up so feeling a bit happier to sit around and recover. Plan to do the movies when I feel well enough to sit for longer periods. I only sit for about 1 hour at the moment then feel I need to walk or lie down. Still icing 2x a day. Keep clear of those moving obstacles! x
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom