THR Beckylou's hip hip hooray May 20th

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am only doing a few 10 minute walks daily, my physio exercises then up and down our stairs about 10x. I am keen to do more but think it will tip the balance with pain.
Obviously you haven't been given the recovery articles.That's quite a lot of activity at 2 weeks!
Still on full dose of paracetamol and 2 doses of nurofen a day
And that's not nearly enough pain meds! You also need codeine or Tramadol but paracetamol alone isn't enough.

Pain management and the pain chart
Healing: how long does it take?
Chart representation of THR recovery
Dislocation risk and 90 degree rule
Energy drain for THRs
Pain and swelling control: elevation is the key
Activity progression for THRs
Home physio (PT)
Post op blues is a reality - be prepared for it
Myth busting: on getting addicted to pain meds
 
Josephine, thanks for the info. Some days I manage to do more than others but in general I have good energy and very little pain.

I know it is early days but I have noticed something in the past few days - when gettting up from sitting (probably getting close to 90 degrees) I feel like something is catching in my hip/groin. The pain is sharp and the catch sensation releases when I move my torso upright or extend my leg. Something to call the OS about?

thanks all!
 
beckylou I have this pain or that pain, which totally disappears when my percocet is on high. My feeling is that we call the OS whenever we have a question-- my office has a surgical "support team" of several nurses, and they do email and calls, checking them frequently. I'd call, because then there will be peace of mind. :)
 
No real changes in energy over the past week- progress is quite slow as expected. 3 weeks tomorrow and my basic daily routine looks like - make my own breakfast, have a shower, rest, active period (walk, tidy, visit), fix my lunch, nap/ice/rest, walk, enjoy dinner that has been made for me, rest, watch TV/read and bed again. I have baked a few cakes and stripped my bed on high energy days. Tenderness around my wound is pretty much a dull ache and I still get odd thigh/knee pains. Full panadol & ibuprofen cocktail, arnica, iron supps and fish oil.

Last night I had to take the remaining strip of tape off my incision. The top inch was gaping a bit and had obviously not healed as well as the rest. I got back into bed and cried. It was the first time I saw the whole wound and I wasn't upset from a vanity viewpoint (it is 30cm) but just the trauma of the whole situation hit me. Was told to join the wound back together and put a plaster on for now.

It is my son's birthday party today and we are expecting 7 kids this afternoon!
 
Goodmorning @ beckylou. You are doing amazingly well...your post so reminded me of how much it just felt like ground hog day in those early weeks. Hang in there, it really does get better lol. I used some steri strips when I first took my tape off as I had a bit of gaping to, you can get them from the chemist. It's very therapeutic to have a good cry and I still get strength fom ready posts and reminding myself that it is major surgery. Good luck this afternoon, sunny her in christchurch so hopefully up north to. You will be having and deserving a quiet day tomorrow x
 
Hi beckylou. I've just caught up on your thread, I can totally identify with the rough start. I was nauseous and sick for just about the entire 5 days in hospital. I had to laugh, I was the youngest of the four hippies in the room and was the sickest and the last to be discharged, the eldest (in his eighties) walked and went home first, a day earlier! I also had really low blood pressure which kept me in bed for the first 2 days.

Yes, this is not an easy road, especially at the moment, but you are doing well. Take it easy on yourself and rest up more than you think you need to, sleep if you can. I know this can't be easy with a couple of little ones. How old are your children? I hope the birthday party went well this afternoon and that you do have some sun today. It's grey and gloomy up here in Auckland. I wish I was at home so I could light the fire and be nice and toasty, but I've just gone to house sit at my mums, to look after her cat, who thinks its great to be let in the front, walk through the house, run around the outside to be let in the front again, and repeat!
 
Hi octopus! Not much sun for the party but the rain stayed away which meant the kids played outside and had a ball. My son is 7 and my daughter just about 4. My husband has been home and looking after them and the house for 3 weeks. He is doing a great job but I can tell it is hard work for him - he just won't admit it.

So you are at the 3 month mark - how does that feel? very excting!
 
beckylou, you are doing so well for 3 weeks. Baking cakes and birthday parties! You are amazing - and although I'm sure your husband is doing a wonderful job in managing everything you are probably doing much more than you realise. Our days sound very similar except that I don't have young children - my son is 19 and away at University and my daughter is 18 and at home studying for her exams - so mine is a very quiet household.
I felt I made good progress this week but when I think about it I have had a great deal of rest with my legs up as the weather has been beautiful and I have been on my sun lounger - I love the sun and we have to make the most of it here in the UK. I am not doing PT - just plenty of walking using one crutch when I go outside and this combo seems to be working for me.Try to put your legs up whenever you can. A good cry works wonders and is very therapeutic. Sleep well tonight. Fiona
 
So you are at the 3 month mark - how does that feel? very excting!

I have to confess I'm not very excited at the moment. After progressing in leaps and bounds in the early weeks, things have really slowed down. And yesterday I seem to have aggravated something, a muscle, the new hip, I don't know, but I have a new pain to deal with. In saying that, it is good to be three months into recovery, instead of three months pre op. It amazes me whenever I think about it, I'm in way less pain than I was before surgery. I don't have to walk with a crutch anymore! :happydance: that's not quite me, but it will be soon!
 
maybe someone can help with my Saturday night worry?

Last week when the tape came off my wound there was a small gaping area at the top of my scar - about 1" long. I rang the hospital and they said to cover it and to contact the OS on Monday. Well by the time Monday rolled around it looked much better and the several people had told me this was normal. At any rate the week has gone by and it today I changed the plaster to see that there was some discharge on the pad of the plaster. It is a tiny amount and pink colored. The area that was gaping has a new scab formed and looks like it has closed quite a bit. Not red or hot to touch around the site.

Is this normal? I am kicking myself for not ringing OS because I am worried they would have done something to help things along.....

Any ideas appreciated!
 
Hi beckylou, sounds like you have what is called Serous exudate which is quite normal, especially if the incision has closed over and is not producing any further fluid. The exudate can contain small amounts of blood from the tiny capillaries that would have been cut during surgery (so it appears pink).

Keep an eye on it, however ring your GP if you feel concerned.
 
octopus, kiwigirl, inca1, jellybean, zauberflöte

4 week update....

My 4 week recovery holiday has come to an abrupt halt - hubby back at work today!

Looking back on the past 4 weeks I think I can say I really did embrace the recovery period. For the first 3 weeks I did as little as possible - not a touch of cooking, cleaning or childcare unless I was feeling really energetic and inspired. I did try to keep moving with exercises and walks but spend the majority of the time in bed with the computer or a good book. A steady stream of visitors ensured I was not bored.

Last week I felt like a switch flicked over. My heart rate went back to normal, my hunger went away (kept eating though - hello 2 kgs) and I no longer wanted to spend any time in bed during the day. I have started to cook meals, tidy up and walking up to 30 minutes. Just taking 3x 1000mg panadol and occasionally ibuprofen as required. I have switched from icing my hip to using heat to loosen things up.

I seem to have energy drain days every 4/5 days. I just feel like taking it easy and so I do.

So the next month will be about easing back to pre-surgery workload at home. No rush, who cares about a messy house! Once I have restrictions lifted I want to get into some rehab to really work on my ROM.

Thanks for all the support!
 
beckylou I've just caught up with you here-- you are in a good place :) I would like very much to say that my hunger went away. My "ravenousness" went away when I figured out in the first week that I needed to eat twice as often as usal, and possibly twice as much :yikes: but I still have the munchies alllll the time LOL.
So heat is good now-- I may have to try that, loosening up is what we need over here.
I stopped my Celebrex Friday, so last night I took ibuprofen at bedtime. Seems to have made me comfortable all night long, as opposed to the tylenol and what's left of the percocet.
You are just a walker, that's all! 30 minutes would be the end of me I'm afraid.Maybe we have a little age difference going on here:heehee:
 
Hi beckylou, what a great four week update! Keep up the walking and resting, try not to do too much now your hubby is back at work. Easier said than done, ay? Do you expect to have your restrictions lifted at six weeks? If so, not long to go! I'm glad you've had plenty of visitors, as one can go a bit stir crazy. Are you driving yet? I didn't drive until six weeks, it was really hard relying on others to take me here and there. Something I haven't had to do since I was a teenager before I got my license! What a great day when I could drive again. Must admit, I did too much that day, got really tired out and about.
 
Excellent update and positive attitude to your recovery.. You are doing it just perfect for you... Great stuff!
 
octopus - well go quite a bit done yesterday - dressed the kids, emptied dishwasher, vacuumed and hung up some wash. A few wee walks and a movie and then the kids were home. I needed to rest up and they were pocket rockets. 3 pm has been my sore/tired time most days so no surprises there. Did feel some new niggles no doubt housework induced.

Off to the OS today and he will let me drive again this week. That being said I have no intention of doing the drop-offs/pickups for a another few weeks - too much twisting and I would imagine that would get me sore in no time. I will do a few errands this week then work my way up next week.
 
beckylou busy girl you! I sorely need to vacuum, but it's too much like dancing hauling that 30 foot hose from the central vac around, and I don't want to break my restrictions! So I guess I will swiffer again LOL. Too bad we don't live close-- we could drive each other to the store!
 
beckylou... Great to hear you're doing so well! I just put up my 4-week report and I hadn't read your's before I posted... you got your's in early! I'm thrilled you're able to get behind the wheel again... oh how grand it must be to have a little independence again huh! I'm going to try it this week - just need a little more strength in the right leg then zooom! :happydance:
 
Oh no, two more weeks without driving! I hope some of your friends who can come by and take you out. It can be a bit of a frustrating time when you're feeling a bit better but still can't do much for yourself. I couldn't even walk very far because I live in a very hilly area and didn't feel up to tackling the hill (still don't), but thankfully a friend who was not working took me to the beach a few times. Have you got much of the bad weather yet? We've had rain and the temperature is dropping as it moves our way.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom