TKR Becca's New Knee

Ahh, thank you, I hope it may have helped a bit. I didn't feel positive all the time though as I'm sure my family would attest to, but I knew who was in control. :yes:

What meds are you on?

@KarriB I am taking Percocet 7.5-325. I found out today that tapering is serious business when I had not taken enough. Is there a way to taper it while using another OTC pain reliever?

Let's ask @Jamie or @Josephine . They'll know exactly what you should do. Some use Tramadol as a step down med which works well with Tylenol, but Jamie or Jo will be able to help. My experince is with oxycodone.

What were you taking originally? I need to know that before I can advise you.

@Josephine
This is all I was prescribed: Percocet 7.5-325 (oxycodone-acetaminophen).

Sorry, I needed to know what you were taking (in mgs) and at what times.

@Josephine
For the past week or so, I have been taking one tablet (7.5-325) about every six hours. Over the past few days, I have been "forgetting" to take them regularly, so I thought it would be a good time to begin to taper.

That's good - providing it's been managing your pain adequately. Forgetting to take the odd dose here and there is the perfect way to wean off any medications. Then there is no need to bother about it at all.

Hi everyone!

Thought it important to keep documenting my journey and I haven't posted in a while. I am ecstatic with the outcome so far, knowing I am on a year-long journey. I am 5½ weeks out from my surgery.

I never had much swelling, even right after the operation. I don't have to elevate or ice and have been able to (reasonably) do things in my daily life without pain or repercussions. I have had a minimum of pain. My ROM is averaging around 120 without assistance (of course) and extension is 0.

When I walk, I can barely tell my "new" knee is there. It feels great! I am so happy! :loveshwr:

My first TKR was a completely different experience (done by a different surgeon) ... swelling, pain, slow ROM, IT band issues, tight band feeling around my knee, slow recuperation, energy drain for months. :cry:In fact, it was such an ordeal and negative experience. I waited too long to have the other knee done. Eventually, as per the advice given on this site, this knee eventually came around and is now fine!

There is hope!

Have a great weekend, everyone!:flwrysmile:

Wow! I'm so happy for you! An easy recovery is wonderful and clearly the surgeon makes all the difference. :yes!:

Yes, @KarriB, i think it does. I noticed there is another forum member from this area who just had the same experience with this same surgeon.

Whatever the reason, I am a happy camper! :egypdance::dancy:

What good news! Just goes to show you that the correct surgeon and the gentle rehab makes all the difference in the world!

Hi everyone,

Just a note to update my journey. Week seven from surgery begins on Tuesday. I have graduated from PT (yipee!) and been released by my OS to go back to work. I am a teacher and can't wait to get back to my students and classroom for the last part of the year!

I know everyone on here recommends starting work later but it seems I have had a remarkably easy recovery (which I mentioned a few posts above). In fact, my husband and I made a road trip to Oklahoma City this week (1500 miles, round trip). I had no difficulty whatsoever in the car - getting around or walking, no swelling, no stiffness, no pain. I have also stopped the pain pills because I have no discomfort. My only problem is that I am not sleeping well :yawn: but I don't usually sleep well, so that is nothing new.

I will check in tomorrow and let everyone know how it went. I appreciate your well-wishes!

Return to work, day one

Today was my first day back to work (full day). I start teaching at 7:20 a.m., so it started early, and let me tell you it was hard to get out of bed that early! My school is very large, so there is a lot of walking on any given day.

I don't know who was happier, me to see my students or my students to see me. Great feeling! My day was wonderful! My knee held up admirably well. Only after three back to back classes and a long walk back and forth across campus and up and down three flights of stairs, did I get a twinge of discomfort. No swelling or real pain, even at the end of the day. I am very happy! :happydance:

What good news! And your knee is still very young. Now, rest all the week when you get home, and you should be in good shape.

@sistersinhim Absolutely! I hit the recliner when I got in and immediately fell asleep (after my post, of course). Hubby is taking care of dinner. I am sure I will be going to bed early tonight and... just maybe...I will get a good night's sleep! :yawn::bored::alarm:

Edited after I got up from my nap in the recliner: my calves are sore, probably from the standing and walking that I was not accustomed to.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
All2Gd88
Recent bookmarks
Back
Top Bottom