TKR Becca's New Knee

@KarriB @Jennszoo I can't wait either!! I just don't want to work out too hard in my water aerobics class (it's hard to tell in the water) and then pay the price the next few days. I am grimly reminded of the day several weeks ago when I walked around the park across the street from my house a couple of times (the first time since the TKR) and my calves were so sore the next few days that I could barely walk.:heehee::rotfl: Fortunately, I had not gone back to work yet. Lesson learned!
 
What a great recovery thread! Congratulations on your amazing journey!


Sent from my iPad using BoneSmart Forum
 
Hi! Just a brief update. I am doing very well and am full of energy, absolutely no pain, no swelling. I did go back to my water aerobics class and had no problems...although I was careful not to overdo it. I am still working out, using the elliptical machine, stationary bike, treadmill and doing some training with machines and free weights.

I feel like a new woman with a new lease on life! :yes!:

Hope every one has a great weekend and Happy Mother's Day to all the mothers here!
 
Hi everyone!

Looks like it has been about six weeks since my last check in. I hope y'all are doing well!

School is out and my hubby and I just got back from a three week trip to Maine. We hiked quite a bit, walked a lot and were very active. I am happy to report I had no problems with my knee. Life is great!
 
Whoopee! What a wonderful report! You are a great inspiration of what a tkr can do in the future!
 
@sistersinhim If there is anything have learned reading on this forum it is that the adjective "lucky" describes me in this recovery better than "inspirational." :giggle:
 
Well, instead of luck, I'll call you blessed!
 
Hi everyone! Merry Christmas! :tree lights:

I had my LTKR done in February and had a great recovery with no problems.

Prior to my surgery, I really missed being able to walk. I am logging 5 miles every day and I have lost 45 pounds (thank you, Weight Watchers).:happydance:

I really want to do machine exercises (leg press, leg curls, squats, etc.) again in the gym to continue to strengthen my legs but am concerned about how much I can do (or should do) with my knee implants. I have researched online and there doesn't seem to be much information on it. My surgeon told me I could do whatever I wanted but to avoid jumping and running.

Can anyone help with advice or some literature, websites, etc. that address this topic?
Thank you in advance!
 
I really want to do machine exercises (leg press, leg curls, squats, etc.) again in the gym to continue to strengthen my legs but am concerned about how much I can do (or should do) with my knee implants.
Don't use the leg press. It can do harm to your implants.
Deep squats should be avoided too - they can lead to premature thinning of the plastic spacers.
 
Don't use the leg press. It can do harm to your implants.
Deep squats should be avoided too - they can lead to premature thinning of the plastic spacers.

@Celle I had to do leg presses during my PT! :flabber: Do you know of any reliable source of information about these exercises and TKR recipients?
 
I had to do leg presses during my PT
You don't have to do any exercises you don't want to - the choice is yours.
Saying no to therapy - am I allowed to?

The reason why I said to avoid the leg press is because using it with weights is liable to exert too much torsion on your knees if you don't use the equipment absolutely perfectly.
If you really want to use it, start with very light weights and increase the weights only slowly.
 
"The reason why I said to avoid the leg press is because using it with weights is liable to exert too much torsion on your knees if you don't use the equipment absolutely perfectly.
If you really want to use it, start with very light weights and increase the weights only slowly."

@Celle Where did you get the above information? That is what I am looking for. There is a lot of second hand information floating around but I can't find recommendations from an expert that specifically deal with machine leg exercises (or squats or deadlifts) for a TKR recipient.

By the way, when I said I "had" to do leg presses, it wasn't that I was forced but rather that it was a part of my program. Nonetheless, since I finished PT in March, it is a moot point. :sad:

If anyone can give me specifics, I would appreciate it!
 
@Celle Where did you get the above information? That is what I am looking for. There is a lot of second hand information floating around but I can't find recommendations from an expert that specifically deal with machine leg exercises (or squats or deadlifts) for a TKR recipient.
I'll ask @Josephine to address that with you.
 
I really want to do machine exercises (leg press, leg curls, squats, etc.) again in the gym to continue to strengthen my legs but am concerned about how much I can do (or should do) with my knee implants. I have researched online and there doesn't seem to be much information on it. My surgeon told me I could do whatever I wanted but to avoid jumping and running.
Considering it's 7 months since your TKR, you can do pretty much anything you want to.
Where did you get the above information?
This was a direct quote from my 'expert' knowledge! I've known this for quite a while, from a variety of sources but it is a fact.

When you use a leg press, each time you bring your knees up and stretch them out again, they can exert sufficient torsional or twisting pressure to work the tibial component loose. However, I would imagine that doing it lightly - 5kg or less and no more than 10 reps at a time - you should be okay.
 
Back
Top Bottom