BeBe says "Ruh Roh" !!! Not Again

Joining you in prayer for healing, peace of mind and answers on how to move forward.
Hopefully all falls into place shortly. Please stay in touch.
Wishing you comfort as you wait...
@BeBe
 
Thank you so much! I am dutifully using the Neb and inhalers and trying to stay positive. Pretty much immobile today so doing paperwork and laying low.
 
I am going to my original MD this morning. The one who cleared me for surgery multiple times even with this ridiculous cough... He will probably clear me again even though the cough is THE SAME. I continue to have coughing spasms that seem to become worse after I use the NEB and inhalers and nasal sprays. Now I have post nasal that is worse.
Yesterday I saw the pulmonary specialist for an hour and coughed all through the appointment- Bottom line is he agreed there is nothing to give me that I haven't already had for the past three weeks that will clear this cough in one week to get me clear for the 15th surgery date. He suggests waiting, sometimes this can take several months to clear. That has been my experience in the past.
So I am probably going to have to cancel my surgery and start over with a new OS, as my OS is retiring end of Dec and has no more open slots.....But first must clear up this lung thing.
I may look into having bilateral as that was discussed early on but would have to go to Philadelphia for that.
Does anyone have any good OS in Philadelphia?
 
@BeBe so sorry your surgery needs to be cancelled. Probably better to be on the safe side however. Get this nasty cough cleared so you can focus on healing post op.

I changed your thread title so that members can give you input on finding a new surgeon. Let me know if you want a different title.
 
My daughter was very sick last year and had a very bad cough for months. She saw several different doctors who were never able to help her. She finally ended up at an Ears, Nose and Throat specialist who right away diagnosed her and gave her the proper medicine that did clear her up.

I did not read all through your thread, but as far as handy things to have in your recovery, I found a raised toilet seat was a must for me, and I recommend one with arms, or even separate arms to help you get up. I did not have the arms and I struggled without them.

Best wishes to you!
 
Thanks Jockette.
My surgery was cancelled and I did not hear today if my OS can fit me in in Dec assuming this lung thing resolves.
Limbo land here.
 
@BeBe have you been checked out for possible GERD (gastroesophageal reflux disease)? That can cause coughing and might explain why the other treatments aren't helping.
 
@jaydub63 You know GERD might be part of my issue, as the past 6 months I have been eating Aleve like candy.
Although I have had no overt GERD symptoms over the past 6 months and historically I have had no gastric issues; since I have started all of these inhalers and stopped the Aleve because of impending surgery I AM a bit more burpy. And that could be that I am just lazing around and trying to give my hips a break too. But I have NO breathing issues at night when I am lying down. And my cough is gone at night for the most part. Only to come back when I am up and active. That being said I just dug out my bottle of omeprazole that the OS suggested last April since I was taking 1330mg Aleve per day. I did not take it then, will start now.
Thank you for your suggestion. At this point I am leaving no stone un-turned. I still have not heard from the OS office about a Dec date. I called twice.
 
@BeBe I hope you hear back quickly - how frustrating! Has your retiring OS recommended a new surgeon if you can't get a date?
 
Yikes I am having posting issues. I get error messages that the message isn't posting and to try later. Then come here and see multiple posts of the same message!
I'll try not to take it personal...;)
And no @jaydub63 I did not hear a thing today. I am beyond frustrated. I have heard nothing from my OS since the day of my original preop when they sent me home Oct 25
 
It's nothing personal for sure. Our system needs an upgrade and we believe that will fix these pesky errors we've been having lately.

I have one surgeon in Pennsylvania but he's in Pittsburg. Is ist possible for you to travel to HHS in New York City?
 
@Jamie I am much closer to NYC than Pittsburg. Do you mean HSS Hospital for Special Surgery? Which OS?
Thank you!
 
Yes, I was referring to the Hospital for Special Surgery in New York City. I realize that's a lot closer to you than Pittsburg. I just wasn't sure if you were willing to go that far or not.

Here are some surgeons for you to check out:

Dr. Padgett
We've had two members who've had wonderful hip replacements with this doctor. He is also a revision specialist, which means he really knows his stuff.

Dr. Goeffrey Westrich

Dr. Seth Jerabek
 
Thank you @Jamie
Who is the surgeon in Pittsburg? I am specifically looking for a surgeon who specializes in anterior approach
due to my hx of EDS.
 
The Pittsburgh surgeon is:

broken link removed: https://www.upmc.com/services/orthopaedics/experts/pages/joint-replacement-experts.aspx
University of Pittsburgh Medical Center
 
Thanks @Jamie
I just had a call from my OS scheduler- he has an opening on Nov 27.
I asked if she can check on what his last date is in Dec which is the 20th.
The only problem is my cough is NOT much better. My husband says no better... The pulmonologist said it will just take time; that this issue can take several months... suggested I continue the inhalers and nasal sprays which seem to aggravate the post nasal drip. My chest is slightly less tight, but still a dry cough. The pulmonary doc wants to see me the first week in Dec.
The scheduler suggested I get on the list with one of the other docs in this group for surgery in January.
Thanks for asking @jaydub63
Trying to keep my spirits up here and this forum is a real help!
 
It might be best to go with surgery by one of the other docs in January - otherwise you would have surgery with the retiring OS and would have to do all the short-term follow up with another OS who didn't perform your surgery. Just food for thought, or maybe that's not a big deal.
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom