TKR Beachy in recovery<

Going out on a limb here, taking a big chance. It might come back to bite me.

Every time I posted about the knee feeling better......
You know what happens.
Well, the knee feels better. Good, actually. Tomorrow is 12 weeks. The knee is not swollen. The surrounding muscles, ligaments, etc need some work and I will work them. No pain meds just occassional Tylenol. I ice after pt or being in my feet for a long time.

I didn't have a stellar recovery. Just a normal one. I wasn't playing golf at 6 weeks or hiking 5 miles a day. But, I'll take normal!

Yesterday I took Tootsie for a nice walk in the woods. Further than I've gone with no pain. It's a paved walking path. I can walk to the gym in our complex (very short walk) and use the bike and work on upper body. I'm stretching at home. It helps and doesn't hurt. And the compression sleeve helps when on my feet.

I'm even thinking about righty. It needs to go. But, not until things calm down with Hubs and he sees a specialist in 6 more sleeps. Yes, we're counting the days. Depending on the outcome of that appt we can resume moving plans.

So, it's been a long 12 weeks with ups and downs. Seemed at times the downs lasted forever. But, not in reality. Just seemed like it.
My take on TKR....to give up 12 weeks and be in pain temporarily is worth it to not have that searing bone on bone pain. 6 weeks ago I couldn't say that.
 
I’m glad you’re feeling better at 12 weeks! But, you’re not done, so continue to be careful. It’s a 52 week, on average, recovery.
 
I'm so glad you are feeling better. I am at 11 weeks and hoping 12 weeks will see better relief from stiffness and pain. I am still taking pain meds at night to be able to get some sleep. I only have a few left though and am not going to ask for more so hoping to be better next Tuesday (the 12 week mark).

Don't push yourself too much and have a set back. I can't imagine going through another TKR and I AM glad that I got both done at the same time, although it was really rough.
 
@beachy, it sounds like 2019 is off to a great start for you! You’ve renounced your membership in the ODIC!
 
So glad to see you are feeling better. It helps someone at my stage to know better days are coming.
 
Beachy, what a wonderful post! Happy New Year. And Oh! My 46 years. Wow that's great. Lot's wonderful memories. Great news on the knee! Best Wishes, Carol aka Schpooko
 
I'm so glad you're feeling better! Be careful and not overdo!
 
Hi @beachy ,
I've been away from the computer recently and wanted to check to see how your recovery is going. It sounds like you definitely had some challenges (!), including the pulled muscles plus illness at home. I hope both you and your husband are doing better, and that you were able to enjoy all of your holiday celebrations! As we begin this New Year with new knees, it's important to have a sense of perspective and LOTS of gratitude for the blessings in our lives, not the least of which is continuing to improve day by day from this major surgery that we've been through.

I hit the 11 week mark on Monday and am making progress. The biggest issue for me has been remembering to "listen to my body" (mostly my knee... LOL) and stay on top of Tylenol dosing, plus taking time to elevate and use ice at least once a day. What I've found happening over the past few weeks is that I'll have days when I'm feeling better and that leads to doing too much (sometimes full out ODIC but other times just having more swelling, tightness and discomfort). I'm doing my best to be patient with myself, but some days my desire to get back to more activity kicks in and I can get in trouble.

Yesterday I spoke with a good friend who had her knee replacement surgery 8 months ago. I was surprised to hear her talking about some similar issues (i.e., overdoing it and needing to ice/elevate/take Tylenol for relief). That was a much needed reminder that we're only part way through the 6 to 12 month typical recovery period... and that each of us recuperates in our own unique way.

I'm getting close to the end of my second PT prescription and may take a break from those appointments in mid-January to see what happens. While I feel the therapy has been more positive than negative (particularly the massage), it also requires a big chunk of time each week. Although we've been very lucky with winter weather so far, I'm hesitant to keep up with multiple appointments that require driving and walking in very cold, possibly slippery conditions. The 55+ community where we live has a small but well equipped gym in the clubhouse that has recumbent bikes, treadmills and weights (among other things). It would be easy to get into a pattern of going there with my husband a few times each week when he gets home from work to stay active. Of course, I can also set reminders in my schedule to do exercises at home during the day.

I look forward to hearing from you and send wishes for a happy, healthy New Year!
 
You all are great! Thanks for popping in to say hello and the well wishes. What would I have done in these last 12 weeks (and months prior) without you?
Some of us had our surgeries in Oct. Some a year or few years ago. And some are newbies. We all learn from each other.

Today I shopped at DSW for new Sketchers. My 12 week present.
Dollar store for gift bags.
Wegmans for a few dinner items. No motorized cart.
Hubs was able to go out (finally) and pick up his new car.
This was quite a day for us. We have been hibernating. Getting him well. Getting my knee well.
I wore jeans today! And my left leg didn't look like a snake that ate a small animal.
I had a little swelling that ice took care of.
 
Wow, beachy! You had a wonderful day! It sounds like the both of you are doing so much better!
 
That’s so good to hear Beachy. Hope you both continue to improve in the outside world!
 
So nice to hear you’re doing well! Hope your husband is as well. I’m in agreement with @NanaBeach on PT. I had an incision infection setback (body rejected deep stitches?!) so I’ve been doing my own Pt at home as I haven’t wanted to be exposed in medical setting or have anyone else touch my leg til it’s closed again - as a lifelong athlete, I’m actually much more comfortable doing my routine on my own. My husband actually points out things better than the somewhat distracted PTA’s I’ve had in terms of balance / evenness / gait correction. So I’d opt for safety and using those home gyms!

Also nice to be reminded that this is a long haul healing process. Makes my 8 weeks post seem like knee infancy. I’ve felt pressure being a young tkr patient to need to be ahead of the curve somehow, but relaxing and letting myself heal at my own pace is so much better on all fronts.

Happy New Year!
 
Pt at 12 weeks is much more productive than 2- 8 weeks!

The calf muscle strains are better, but still requires stretching, massage, etc. We started working on extension today at my request. It's odd to walk when the knee won't straighten completely. My pt assured me we can get straighter without pain. I did 10 min on bike, no resistance. When the timer didn't go off I kept going close to 20 min and could have continued if they didn't stop me. Some extension stretches. It felt good and no major swelling after.
No rom measurements, just eyeballing it. The knee definitely isn't straight yet. It will come.
 
@sistersinhim .
I was doing that too. I know it will come, but I want to make sure I'm doing all I can to get it straight. So much easier now than 7 weeks ago lol!
 
Glad to hear you are doing well beachy!

I think it is good to go out and I don't go out enough. It's winter and weather, although no snow, has been rainy and yucky. Today and tomorrow is sunny and close to 60 degrees so I plan on getting out a little.
 
@MissViv18 .
Winter in Maryland is either dreary, snowy and slushy or dreary, rainy and yuck. I'm forced out to walk the furball, but once I'm bundled up and out if feels good. It's been cold and gray and wet. Today is no different.
Counting the days till spring.
I hope you have a good day and sunny temps today. You are a bilateral hero!
 
The weather down here has been the same, though the sun is finally shinning this morning! It bet it'll be going up there to you, too! Maybe you can get out and sit in it for a little while.
 
No sun here, yet.
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom