TKR Beachy in recovery<

Wooooooohoooooo awesome news. Sounds like he was thorough, found the issue, and gave you wonderful guidance on how to deal with it. Your ROM is actually great, even with your current setback. I am glad he was able to take that worry off your mind.
 
strained/sprained the lateral and medial head of the left gastrocnemius calf muscle.
RICE!

I'm back in pt 3x /week for next 2 weeks.
I looked this up and it says to not do PT for 6 weeks and to use crutches or a walker. Don't let that PT make it worse. Please study up on this before you exercise it. Calling your doctor and getting his opinion would probably be a really good idea.
 
1. Pain level 2-3 when walking, standing. No pain when off my feet.
Well, so-so at 10 weeks, I suppose.
2. I take an occasional oxycodone 5mg. Maybe 3x week. I haven't asked for any pain meds.
Tylenol 1000mg 3x day.
Okay
3. Swelling is moderate.
So-so for 10 weeks
my rom is 117 flex 4 extension
About right.
5. Yes, I'm icing. 1 hour about 5x day.
6. Elevating while icing. 1 hour 5x day.
Excellent!
7. Housework, not much. Tidying kitchen, washing dishes. Cooking 2 meals day. Fetching hubs meals and snacks. Walking dog 5x day, very short business trips only. Shopping for groceries. Today my son went with me for groceries...big help. No other shopping. I'm limiting any unnecessary chores or outings.
"Not much"?? I'd hate to see your version of a lot!
8. No exercises. I think I get enough taking care of husband and dog. When I think of it I push knee into flat surface using quad muscles. MAYBE 3x day for 5 reps. I don't keep track of it.
That's exactly right.
This is just crazy.
Today I woke up in miserable pain. Couldn't bend knee. It's the left side all the way down leg to knee.
But what were you doing 2-3 days before this happened? I know you've seen your PT and he's diagnosed ITB but that's exactly what I was going to say!
I need to ice the area and not over do.
Oh now :scratch: I wonder where I've heard that before! :doh:
 
@sistersinhim .
I did read up on it at your advice. I'll have to wait until after Christmas to call my doc. PT won't be exercising. It will be ultrasound , massage, slight stretching, ice and the muscle targeting electrode thing....like a tens, but for muscles. He definitely said it will be to give some relief for now.

@Josephine
I had to laugh at myself when I re-read my daily activities. :headbang: Yes, it was alot for several days. When I said not much I meant housework as in cleaning. No cleaning. The other stuff was too much, though.
I'm not doing as much for the last 2 days. Hubs is able to do more each day for himself. If we weren't in this situation with his illness I would never take on that much. He was doing most of it until he got sick. But, we do what we have to do.
I can deal with the IT band, but this muscle pull at top of calf is a doozy!
Thanks for your reply. Wishing you a blessed Christmas.
 
I can deal with the IT band, but this muscle pull at top of calf is a doozy!
You do realise that these are both the same issue?

[Bonesmart.org] Beachy in recovery<
 
@Josephine
No, I didn't realize that. I knew the bursa and IT band were the same. PT showed me the image of the gastrocnemius muscle and pointed out the medial and lateral "tips" at the top. When he pressed on that area behind my knee he hit the target. So, in addition to his diagnosis I also am affected by knee tendinitis from a tight IT band. Lucky me.
Thanks again!
 
Just checking in on you to see how you are feeling and if all is well... Happy New Year!
 
Wow! Thank you all for your concern! It's appreciated.
I just needed some time to enjoy Christmas and reflect on how blessed we are.
I hope everyone enjoyed theirs as well.

The pulled muscles are healing. I rested, iced for several days and had some improvement. It's much better now, but still tight. First pt session was yesterday and it was lovely. Bike slowly for 6 min, massage, ultrasound, easy stretching, tens, ice. In that order. I go again tomorrow and am looking forward to it.
The knee implant feels strong and sturdy. The soft tissues need some work. I'm wearing a compression sleeve when out and about.

Today is 11 weeks. I did think I would be further along at this point. But, those thoughts have been adjusted. I can do much more with less pain. The tightness is still in front of knee though.
Onward!
 
I hope my PT is as good as yours sounds! I go for my evaluation next Wednesday.
 
Hey @beachy that’s good to hear!
Sounds like things are going the right way albeit slowly.Good for you on taking timeout for reflection....that can be hard to do.
 
@Motherbone .
I made a big mistake by assuming my first pt would be helpful. He had helped me a great deal with hip and back issues. I should have questioned him about TKR pt. He was so aggressive and had a bad attitude that I walked out mid session.

At evaluation please question your pt about their plan and what they expect. Then tell them what you expect......to not be hurt! And don't be timid. They work for you.
I hope you have a great experience!
 
beachy, Motherbone[, I wish I could jump up and down agreeing. Before they even begin the evaluation have that conversation with your PT. Lay down your ground rules clearly and firmly. Make it clear that if they are broken in any way you are out the door. Once that is settled then let them do their evaluation or obviously leave if they don’t agree with your rules.

Beachy so glad to have you back. Hope you enjoyed your holiday. Glad to hear that your husband is improving.
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom