Guest viewing is limited

THR beachlily'srecovery thread

Really interesting article and I’m glad I read it because it makes me less nervous about my precautions (posterior).

I grabbed my pj pants as they were falling and I was convinced I bent 120 degrees. My husband cracked up... said I was barely past 45! [emoji23][emoji23][emoji23]


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
Well this morning was dog agility class and I decided to attempt to do the course with my dog Border collies are really FAST so this wasn’t my best decision. After one round I gave her to my friend and sat myself down in a chair. Now I’m icing in the recliner. But I’m finally able to drive so that’s a good thing. (I’m also “ milking “ this I can’t do housework thing for another week:))
 
OJ2015. I’m one of the “oldies “. Had mini posterior approach replacement 3 weeks ago. Fortunately little to no pain-some discomfort sure but Tylenol extra strength and ice were my best friends. I’m driving,walking and doing well. You’re young and in shape-you’ll do great! Here’s an article from Hospital for Special Surgery in NYC that might address your concerns and calm your nerves:).

share this from Hospital for Special Surgery March 2019....

"The majority of patients we see are low risk; 90% of patients probably qualify for minimized precautions," said Peter Sculco, MD, the study's lead author and an orthopedic surgeon specializing in hip and knee replacement at HSS.

In the last ten years, surgeons have started favoring the anterior approach (through the back of the hip) for total hip replacement over the posterior approach, because it doesn't involve standard hip precautions. Little data, however, backs the standard hip precautions recommended for the posterior approach. For a posterior approach, standard precautions are not flexing your hip past 90 degrees, not internally rotating your hip more than 10 degrees, using an elevated seat cushion at all times and a grabber for anything that is on the ground, and sleeping on your back for six weeks.

"The precautions can be limiting and cause fear in patients," said Dr. Sculco. "Sleeping on your back is very uncomfortable for many people. You often hear from physical therapists that patients are relieved when they can finally cross their legs and sleep on their side."

The literature showing that hip precautions make a difference in hip dislocation is poor. "The current precautions are based on hip replacements done 25 years ago, and we have changed a lot in terms of improving how we do hip replacements that has given us more confidence in the stability of our hips," said Dr. Sculco. "Our understanding of the dynamic movement of the pelvis and how we put the parts in is much different. The quality of our soft tissue repair and closure at the end of surgery is much more robust."

When patients are on stringent precautions, they are not as active, which can hamper recovery. "If you minimize the hip precautions in an appropriate way, patients focus more on their mobility and recovery and less on the fear of how they turn their leg ten degrees," said Dr. Sculco.

In the new study, researchers retrospectively reviewed all patients undergoing a posterior primary uncemented total hip replacement (total hip arthroplasty) from January 2014 to June 2016 at HSS. Surgeons had the choice to put patients on standard precautions or a pose avoidance protocol, to avoid a single pose, a flexed external rotation position that occurs when a person puts on their shoe or shaves their leg. A total of 1,311 patients met the inclusion criteria for the pose avoidance cohort, and the minimum followup was six weeks. Researchers then matched patients 1:1 in this group to a historical cohort of patients based on age, gender, and body mass index that were treated with standard posterior hip precautions.

Within the first six postoperative weeks, six dislocations occurred in the pose avoidance group (0.46%) compared with seven in the matched group (0.53%), a difference that was not statistically or clinically significant. "Our results suggest that the standard postoperative precautions in patients undergoing total hip arthroplasty through the posterior approach without known risk factors for instability are unnecessary," said Dr. Sculco. "We may find that precautions don't make sense for any of our patients, but we need to look at in a stepwise fashion." Risk factors include neuromuscular issues, such as stroke, Parkinson's disease and lumbar spine fusions.

Of course your Orthopedic surgeon knows best!!!
 
Beautiful day out today! Yesterday I was sitting in my recliner at the ODIC :) but a good night sleep rejuvenated me!So I did my 10 minutes on stationary bike- my bridges, leg balance, squats plank and modified pushups ( all within the 90 degrees). Feeling good. Now breakfast then shower. Ice and rest for a half hour then shopping for a mattress (Aren’t I a wild woman. Haha). I’m wishing you all a fabulous day!
 
You are! :flabber:
Please do balance all that activity with some hang time.:ice:
Don't want to develop tendinitis or other aggravating conditions that will set you back.
I'm the resident worry wart:unsure:, but still early days.
 
That is easier said than done when you're in the ODIC! It slips my mind quicker than it should, that's for sure! Ouch! :shrug:
 
Well it’s 4 pm eastern standard time so in my world that’s TEA TIME. I shall pour a cup and put my feet up with my best friend Ice:). Since I’m 3 weeks post op I need to make follow up appointment but I hate the almost 2 hour drive into New York so...Today I spoke to OS - he said he needs to see me and x ray hip to be sure all is right in the world. So off to NYC I go next week. Sigh. But he did say I could try chair yoga IF I remember not to cross operated leg over. I’m not sure he knows what chair yoga consists of but namaste all the same. When the sun is shining and it’s warm outside you just have to feel positivity:)
 
3 weeks ago I had my surgery. I have to say it’s been a much easier recovery than I thought it would be. I thank my outstanding surgeon and my fantastic physical therapists for getting me to this point. Granted a long way to go but very positive- Thanks also to my wonderful husband for putting up with my first days bathroom trip requests at all hours and cooking me delicious meals. I’m a very fortunate lady. This forum has also had a great impact in my
“ sanity checks” especially when I’ve joined the ODIC:). Thanks to all of you. Wishing you all a healthy recuperation. Now go seize the day hipsters!!!
 
I'm on the east coast, about 200 miles away from Sarasota on the west coast. West coast side is definitely prettier and not as touristy as it is here.
 
Hi hipsters! Today is 4 weeks post op. I celebrated by going to yoga (modified somewhat) and breakfast. It’s great to feel like myself and not just a hip replacement:)
Yay no more aspirin for blood clots-I swear blood thinning has made me feel cold all the time.
Dr appointment next week ( I was supposed to go last week but... didn’t feel like it. Haha).
So hopefully you’re all doing well and enjoying life. Be good to each other and be kind to yourself.
 
Happy Four Weeks or Happy One Month on Friday....however you want to look at it :wink:
You're doing great! Thanks for the updates. It's great for those following behind you to see it doesn't always have to be a mountain like climb back to normal life.
Slow and steady wins this race :walking: Happy Wednesday!
@beachlily
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom