Guest viewing is limited

THR beachlily'srecovery thread

Hi @beachlily :wave:
Please don't leave so soon. :boohoo:It's understandable with your recovery going so well that you want to get on with life. Your contributions here have been valuable. Encouraging and offering support where you're able, sprinkled with just enough humor. We'd miss you terribly and your recovery is also an inspiration and offers hope to those following behind you. Please reconsider...:beg:
Wishing you a beautiful day and weekend! :SUNsmile:
 
I have a few afterthoughts. It seems it's difficult for those who excel in recovery to continually post how well they're doing. They may feel guilt in relaying their good fortune. Never landing in the ODIC, or suffering a set-back. I'll speak for myself, but will be surprised if many don't agree with me....I was a longtime lurker on BoneSmart trying to gather up the courage to schedule my surgery. I was terrified!
I looked for threads like yours, @beachlily I wanted to see how quickly I may heal, feel better, get my life back. Naturally, I understood we all heal at different rates for different reasons. Age, general health, pre-existing medical conditions, what shape we were in when we scheduled surgery. We need recovery threads such as yours. Pre-op, I avoided red banners (infection) threads, yellow banners (revision) threads. I couldn't bear to think of a complication let alone read about it. It took becoming a FA to familiarize myself with those stories and learn of the many happy endings.

In closing it's threads like yours that the pre-ops seek out. So contrary to what you think, you do add to the forum in one of the best ways possible. A suggestion, and something for you to consider is posting on th pre-op side. Your experience is not only inspirational but would offer hope to those anxiously counting down the days until surgery.
 
Excellent idea for you @beachlily !!! I remember lurking pre-op's and what you post is exactly what I would have been looking for before deciding on surgery! And @Elf1 is pre-op and missing your good progress already. It gives us all of hope.
 
:wave:Lots of improvement to come in the recovery road and we would love to hear from you.
I do hope you keep us updated.:yes:
 
All your comments very sweet. I truly appreciate it. @Layla was spot on:). I’m still using cane occasionally outside- trying my best to not overdo because I can easily see how this could happen- I’ve gone out to lunch /shopping several times and definitely tired after an hour or so. Today I did a “ brave” or “ stupid “ thing and walked my border collie. My Magnolia has been such a great mental boost for me during this recovery- anyway she’s a great dog and we did well..... until her nemesis the English bull dog had the audacity to bark at her. Well Magnolia doesn’t take that kindly so I did have to spray her with a water bottle which calmed her down. Side note- this dog swims in ice cold water loaded with goose poop but lukewarm clean water upsets her???? Sigh. I digress. She didn’t pull me so I wasn’t going to fall but I had already decided if I felt off balance I’d let the leash drop and nature would take its course. Mr Beachlily was not
amused when he found out. Now sitting in recliner.
I haven’t been able to read all your updates so I Hope you’re all having a good day and Happy Easter /Passover to those who celebrate
 
@beachlily Our dogs can sure put us through the wringer! I loved your story but glad you both managed to get home ok. "Mean" English bull dog; I have a tiny chihuahua that is the same way......gives all dogs the evil eye! Hope you get some rest. Enjoy your Easter Sunday! And SO nice to hear from you too! :flwrysmile:
 
:wave:You are doing very well, sounds like.
Just No Falling:bignono: No sabatoging this great recovery.
Have a Happy Easter :flwrysmile: @beachlily
 
Happy to see you are doing so well @beachlily ❤️ Living life to the fullest was the whole point of this journey. Grateful to have shared it with you.

Hope everyone has a lovely Easter. Gorgeous morning in VA. Don’t even mine being up early. Take care!
 
Thanks for updating. So nice to see your post.
I hope you have a wonderful Easter Sunday!
Will look forward to hearing more from you. :)
@beachlily
 
Hope you all had an enjoyable weekend! I wanted to share this from Hospital for Special Surgery March 2019....

"The majority of patients we see are low risk; 90% of patients probably qualify for minimized precautions," said Peter Sculco, MD, the study's lead author and an orthopedic surgeon specializing in hip and knee replacement at HSS.

In the last ten years, surgeons have started favoring the anterior approach (through the back of the hip) for total hip replacement over the posterior approach, because it doesn't involve standard hip precautions. Little data, however, backs the standard hip precautions recommended for the posterior approach. For a posterior approach, standard precautions are not flexing your hip past 90 degrees, not internally rotating your hip more than 10 degrees, using an elevated seat cushion at all times and a grabber for anything that is on the ground, and sleeping on your back for six weeks.

"The precautions can be limiting and cause fear in patients," said Dr. Sculco. "Sleeping on your back is very uncomfortable for many people. You often hear from physical therapists that patients are relieved when they can finally cross their legs and sleep on their side."

The literature showing that hip precautions make a difference in hip dislocation is poor. "The current precautions are based on hip replacements done 25 years ago, and we have changed a lot in terms of improving how we do hip replacements that has given us more confidence in the stability of our hips," said Dr. Sculco. "Our understanding of the dynamic movement of the pelvis and how we put the parts in is much different. The quality of our soft tissue repair and closure at the end of surgery is much more robust."

When patients are on stringent precautions, they are not as active, which can hamper recovery. "If you minimize the hip precautions in an appropriate way, patients focus more on their mobility and recovery and less on the fear of how they turn their leg ten degrees," said Dr. Sculco.

In the new study, researchers retrospectively reviewed all patients undergoing a posterior primary uncemented total hip replacement (total hip arthroplasty) from January 2014 to June 2016 at HSS. Surgeons had the choice to put patients on standard precautions or a pose avoidance protocol, to avoid a single pose, a flexed external rotation position that occurs when a person puts on their shoe or shaves their leg. A total of 1,311 patients met the inclusion criteria for the pose avoidance cohort, and the minimum followup was six weeks. Researchers then matched patients 1:1 in this group to a historical cohort of patients based on age, gender, and body mass index that were treated with standard posterior hip precautions.

Within the first six postoperative weeks, six dislocations occurred in the pose avoidance group (0.46%) compared with seven in the matched group (0.53%), a difference that was not statistically or clinically significant. "Our results suggest that the standard postoperative precautions in patients undergoing total hip arthroplasty through the posterior approach without known risk factors for instability are unnecessary," said Dr. Sculco. "We may find that precautions don't make sense for any of our patients, but we need to look at in a stepwise fashion." Risk factors include neuromuscular issues, such as stroke, Parkinson's disease and lumbar spine fusions.

Interesting article.
 
Interesting article. I have very few restrictions, the one drilled in the most is no hyper extension of the leg to the rear. In other words, I can't use the golfer's reach. Well that and falling.
 
Guess all the different approaches give us all the different directions. But yeah, confusing
 
I had the posterior approach twice & to be honest the precautions are not onerous.... my body doesn’t want to do any of the things I’ve been told not to do anyway... sitting on a higher seat is more comfortable too.
I just think with some people the precautions create a fear factor when there is little chance of dislocation anyway.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
 
Interesting article. I have no idea what mine is called, seems to be both. Crazy long, that’s for sure. It is confusing to have such different advise.
 

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom