TKR BCS Anna's Recovery

Yup, that's a funny story. They don't quite realize what they're getting into when the start courting a cat lover. My cute story is, I knew I had a keeper when, while sleeping, he lifted his arm to let my tiny snuggle cat under the covers to sleep between us.

I'm glad everything continues to go well. I worry less around the house, but be careful to take a cane if you go out for walks.
 
@winemama

What is totally different for me, is that before my surgery I could not walk at all without the aid of my cane. And that was just inside the house. Outside, if I had to travel any distance longer than my driveway, I went by way of my transfer wheelchair! Now, to be able to walk around inside my home without depending on an assistance device, just blows my mind away!:wow:

Who knew what a difference a "little surgery" could make in one's mobility and quality of life.:dancy::heehee:

Anna:flwrysmile:
 
@luvcats

That is a cute kitty story.:kitty:

Oh, believe me, my confidence level is not up to the point that I would venture outside my home without my cane! Besides providing me with that extra feeling of security with my balance, I have found that when people see me and my hot pink cane, they give me a wide circle of personal space. Which I still prefer to have this early in my recovery.

Your big day is fast approaching. Before you know it you will be over here on the recovery side. It is a good place to be.:loveshwr:

Anna:flwrysmile:
 
What is totally different for me, is that before my surgery I could not walk at all without the aid of my cane. And that was just inside the house. Outside, if I had to travel any distance longer than my driveway, I went by way of my transfer wheelchair! Now, to be able to walk around inside my home without depending on an assistance device, just blows my mind away!

That is so amazing!!! I hope my story goes that well. I can still walk, but not far, or stand very long. Soon!!
 
Coming up on two weeks post-op on Wednesday and Penelope is still the perfect new baby knee. We will be getting our staples out on Wednesday and I am really looking forward to it!:yahoo:

Since Penelope was feeling up to it, following breakfast this morning, I took a little time to tidy up my kitchen. I hate clutter on my counter tops and island. Which this morning contained everything my spouse had taken out of the pantry since I got home from the hospital!:oyvey:After putting all those items back where they belong, I hand washed those items that I don't put into the dishwasher and put them away. My "helper" had rinsed them and left them in the drying rack...to collect water spots galore.:oyvey:

Following my kitchen tidy up, I advised my spouse that tomorrow is trash pick up day and that the wastebaskets in the bathrooms; my nesting room, and the kitchen trash bin needed to be emptied.
His response, "I'll get to it." "You know there is a lot to do around here ever day!"
Duh! I had to bite my tongue from responding, "Welcome to my world bud!"
:headbang:

Anna:flwrysmile:
 
Hi all:wave:

This afternoon some rather intense "zingers" came calling to Penelope. I have experienced a few of them before. However, the intensity and number I have had today are the worst so far. My OS provided me with a prescription for 300mg of Gabapentin which does help with the "zingers." I would appreciate hearing from others regarding their experience in this regards. Specifically, what exactly causes the sensation and how long does this issue of recovery last?:what:

Thank you.

Anna:flwrysmile:
 
@BCSAnna I get zingers, but they don’t sound as intense as yours, but what I get, which I thought was crazy, is that suddenly my scar would zing, all I can equate it to is getting stung by a bee. I’ll suddenly be like “what the hell” usually a bit more colorful then that I’ll rub my scar for a bit and it goes away. Who knows??
 
@winemama

Fortunately, the Gabapentin has really helped control the intensity of my "zingers." And yes, they do feel like a bee sting or, in my case, a swarming hive of bees stinging my knee area! Penelope is not happy about this latest development.
However, from what I have researched since yesterday, the sensation is connected to the healing process of the nerves. Should that be true, my nerve healing process must be on steroids at this point judging by the amount of "zingers" I have experienced.

And, I know what you mean about vocalizing your response to the "attack of the zingers." I really yell out when they hit. I would be totally embarrassed to be out in public when the zingers hit and I began yelling. People would think I was suffering from tourette syndrome. :sad:

Anna:flwrysmile:
 
Between these 2 knee surgeries, I have a mouth like a trucker. My language has become very colorful
 
Hi all!:wave:


Today Penelope is two weeks old and is still a good little baby knee.:curtsey:

We got our 44 staples removed a short while ago and their removal went very well. No pain. My home health care nurse was great and I already told her that I would like to request her again next spring when I have my left TKR surgery.

With the staples now removed, the stiff feeling in my knee is now gone. And the knee now bends really easily. Another good day for me and Penelope.:egypdance:

I hope my LTKR goes as well as this surgery and recovery has gone. I was expecting and preparing for far, far worst!:scare:Now, I am extremely grateful that things have turned out so well.:prayer: And, I am thankful that I found BoneSmart which has proven to be an excellent source of information and support. Membership should be a prerequisite before undergoing knee surgery!:thumb:

Anna:flwrysmile:
 
Talking about an old cat lady! I'm a cat rescuer and at the time of my tkr I had 13 of them. They were inside/outside cats with cat doors to come and go as they pleased, so that helped. A neighbor cleaned the litter-boxes the first week. After that, all their care fell on me. This was the best incentive for recovery that I could have. Therefore, no PT was needed. Taking care of my babies and myself was all the exercise I needed! I pray there are cats in heaven! I have 8 left as they are dying off. All are teenagers but 2. It hurts so much to lose them.
 
@sistersinhim

If my first and second Siamese babies are not waiting for me in the afterlife, it would not be heaven for me.

I can't even think of losing the Siamese brother and sister (litter mates) who are now part of our family. They bring us so much joy every day and their love is unconditional.

Anna:flwrysmile:
 
I promise you the first thing I'm going to do in the afterlife is run to the Rainbow Bridge to find all my furbabies waiting for me. There will be quite a crowd. Although not as many as you @sistersinhim!

I'm so glad little Penelope continues to be a model baby!
 
Having something, even animals, depending on you is a great incentive to get healed the best way. For me, it was just my daily activities that rehabbed me. If it was only me to take care of, I probably wouldn't have healed in the time frame that I did. They needed me and I needed them to 'push' me to get up and take care of them.
 
@BCSAnna,
I have a new surgery date- July 29th! :yes!: Now if I can just stay well and infection free for the next month! :angel: I hope my recovery is as smooth as yours has been :wowspring:

~Cynthia
 
@Cynof4

That's great news!:dancy: July 29th will be here before you know it and you will be over on the recovery side. Even though you are now a July Sparkler, Cynthia, you are still a June Sunbeam to me.:) :-) (:

"Penelope" is still doing great on the road to recovery. So far, I have reached the extension and flexion goals set by my OS. Got my 44 staples removed.:yikes: I am completely off opioid pain medication. I am done with my walker and only use my cane if I go outdoors. Inside the house, I buzz around "free style" on two legs that now have mobility. I no longer need assistance getting in and out of my shower. And, since day one, I have pretty much maintained my normal sleep pattern. All in all, in hindsight, this surgery and recovery, so far, was way worst in my mind than it actually has been.:happydance: I just hope and pray that when the time comes to have my left knee done, my surgery and recovery will go just as well. Although, I think "lefty" got a look at what happened to old "righty" and decided maybe she had better behave for now!:heehee:

Cynthia, I will keep you in my thoughts and prayers. And, I sincerely hope that you also have an easy time of your surgery and recovery.

I will look for your recovery thread after July 29th and will be here to cheer you on along the road to recovery.:loveshwr:

Anna:flwrysmile:
 

Staff online

  • Layla
    Staff member since November 20, 2017

Members online

Back
Top Bottom