TKR BCS Anna's Recovery

We had a visit today from our visiting nurse. My vitals are great and today my Aquacel dressing was removed. Which in turned relived some of the pulling sensation along my incision. My nurse said that my incision is healing perfectly and next week my 44 staples will be removed.:yikes: Until that time, I have a gauze pad over my incision so my TED hose don't pull on the staples.

I also asked my nurse to look at the bruising on the front of my lower shin. The bruising is red, a bit warm, and painful. My fear was that is was a possible sign of something serious. My nurse said it doesn't appear to be a cause for concern. But that I should keep an eye on it and if the redness spreads or the pain increases, I should call the on-call nurse or my OS.

So, Penelope and I had a good checkup and will just continue to do what appears to now be working for us.

Thank you all for your support. I really don't know how a person can get through this recovery without the 24/7 support of our members.:yay:

Anna:flwrysmile:
 
Last edited:
Great report! You're coming along really nicely. I don't, however, envy you the staple removal, although most people don't have a hard time of it like I did. Most people cruise through the removal with nary a problem; that's my wish for you next.
 
Even now nearly 6 werks post op my hubby wont look at my knee. I had 35 staples and although the wound has healed and is quite flat, the scar id still very red/purple with a very fine light line down the centre showing healing. From memory last year it was not until about 4 months that scar no longer looked angry. I got all clear to swim at 10 weeks last year and still covered scar with waterproof dressing so others wouldn't cringe too much, until redness faded.
 
@lisabl

My spouse is an excellent caregiver and has been my rock during several very serious health issues and now with my TKR. However, he can turn wimp at times and could have never, ever, endured what I have gone through health wise. He has even told people as much.

Fortunately, he has not had any serious or major health issues to deal with. His only surgery to date was catract surgery a few years ago. The day he was told he needed that surgery, he had a complete meltdown...you would have thought that the doctor told him that he needed a lobotomy!:yikes::heehee:

As @lovetocookandsew said, "The bigger they are, the harder they fall.":rotfl:


Anna:flwrysmile:
 
Hi everyone:wave:

I amazed myself and my hubby a short while ago. I was in the kitchen preparing myself a snack. I was standing at the kitchen counter and without thinking or realizing it, I walked around the island over to the pantry and back to the kitchen counter. Without using my walker which was parked in front of the sink!:yahoo: My hubby walked in as I was walking unaided and with a surprised look on his face said, "Where is your walker?" It was then I realized what I was actually doing.:heehee:

Annie:flwrysmile:
 
I think as long as you have something to hold on to it's OK to go without the walker for a few steps. I rejoiced when I could leave it here and there for a few minutes. The main thing is to stay safe.
 
Today is one of those days in my life that I just shake my head over the stupidity of some people!:headbang:

This morning, my husband phoned my OS's office to request a refill of my Oxy-5.
Office said no problem we will send it right in. They already had all the information on my local pharmacy to request the refill script.

Hubby goes over to pharmacy this afternoon and is told they have no prescriptions ready for me. The pharmacy clerk then asked what the prescription was for and who ordered it. Hubby tells them Oxy-5 and that his wife's OS's office sent it in. Pharmacy clerk then tells my hubby that a prescription for a controlled substance must be submitted in writing. OK, so hubby calls OS's office at Penn Medicine and tells them pharmacy needs written script before they will refill my Oxy-5. Penn Medicine tells hubby that they use e-scripts which was already sent in. Hubby then asked pharmacy clerk if they use e-scripts. She replies, "Yes, if Penn Medicine uses e-scripts." Hubby responds, "Yes, Penn Medicine uses e-scripts, do you?" Clerk replies, "Yes, if Penn Medicine uses e-scripts. This exchange went on for several minutes before the clerk had that light bulb moment!:idea:

When my hubby got home he said, "Somedays I don't know whether to choke myself or someone else!":skep:

Anna:flwrysmile:
 
Hi all:wave:

Bone Smart is absolutely correct in that a professional PT is not absolutely necessary.

Today is day 9 post-op for me. And after having a bad experience with a home health care PT earlier in the week, I made the decision to do my own PT. In doing my own PT, I am following Penn Medicine's Guide for TKR PT Exercises. In preparation for doing my own PT, my spouse went to a local medical supply store and purchased a goniometer. The device PTs use for measuring ROM.

Well, for the past three days this week, I have been having my own little - pain free - sessions of PT. And, after my session late this afternoon, my hubby measured my ROM...extension = 0 and my flexion = 100. :egypdance:

I was so happy that I nearly ate an entire pint of Haagen Dazs ice cream after dinner tonight!:heehee:

Anna :flwrysmile:
 
It sounds like those Penn exercises are very common sense and you're listening to the knee. All good. :friends:
 
Good going. You are doing what's right for you and it's working!
 
Why do some people, who have never experienced a knee replacement themselves, feel the need to tell you about all the problems, "someone they know" has endured?

Since our coastal air was a little cooler this morning, I decided that I wanted to have morning coffee out on our deck. It was the first time that I had been out of the house since I got home from the hospital a week ago Friday.

Anyway, as my spouse and I were sitting out on our deck, enjoying our coffee and enjoying watching the numerous boats out in the bay, over trotted our neighbor. This particular neighbor is a "seasonal person." Meaning he and his family come to the beach for a few weeks/week-ends in the summer then we don't see them again for the rest of the year. Since we had not seen him since last summer, he wanted to catch up on the news with us and the area.

Well, during the course of our conversation, my husband mentioned that I had just under gone TKR surgery. Next thing we know, our neighbor is telling us about all the problems a neighbor of his, back in New Jersey, is having since the man had TKR two years ago. Believe me, I could have completed my own recovery quite well without hearing that horror story!:yikes:

Besides ruining what was a lovely morning sharing coffee and bay watching with my spouse, that unthinking jerk left me so angry and upset that I came back in the house in tears.:boohoo:

Why can't people just keep their trap shut if they can't say something positive?

Thank you for allowing me to vent.

Anna:flwrysmile:
 
Sounds a lot like my sister. I call her up because I'm depressed and I need an ear to dump on before you know it she starts talking about all her friends who had TKR surgeries and how well they are doing compared to my TKR surgery. I tell her I didn't call you up to hear about your friends and their surgeries, I called you for emotional support and empathy. Then she has the nerve to hang up on me.

Anyway.

Sorry, that jerk ruined your morning, some people are ignorant and uncompassionate and don't know any better..
 
Can I ask your age? I'm glad you are doing so well.
 

Staff online

Back
Top Bottom