Guest viewing is limited

TKR Back for round two

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi everyone,
A bit of a rough night/morning. Didn't track my meds last night and can't remember if I took my tramacet at 830 this morning or not. Took 1 pill at 4am. So I will now wait until noon to take another pill/s. I feel very neausious in the mornings - have to take a gravol. Should I be worried about swelling and bruising? My leg is turning yellow on one side and it is very hot there. I will continue to ice. But is this normal.
 
Should I be worried about swelling and bruising?
No. Mine looked like a map of Jupiter with extra colours.

You are probably at exactly the worst time about now. The knee has come out of shock (WHAT was THAT??!!!?) and is well into its reaction, so bruising and swelling and stiffness at its worst. The thing I used to think was (a) it can only improve from here (b) the awful arthritis pain is already gone.
 
I'm assuming you forgot to write down when you took your meds. I kept a little notebook. Others set alarms on their phones.
I didn't bruise too badly but my knee was a little furnace for a while.
 
Hi everyone, well, I'm 9 days post op and am a bit concerned about the fact that I have some heat on one side of the knee. I hope this doesn't mean I have an infection.
 
The knee will be warm for some time. Unless you have any odd symptoms like a high fever I wouldn't worry about it.
 
hi kneeper,
Had a low grade fever for a few hours only so I think this is just normal. I suspect the heel slides may have contributed because I found them very painful to do so keeping up with icing, elevation and moderate exercise for a couple of days.

Thanks
 
Question 1: pain level is on average a 5 to 7. Pain level increased after doing heel raises and slides.
Question 2: I am taking 37.5/325mg of tramadol - 2 every 4 hours. Was setting my alarm at night to take them but have stopped doing that last 3 nights. Have taken a few gravol to deal with nausea. Have started stretching taking my tramadol to every 5 hours( I only see my surgeon next Tuesday and may run out)
Question 3: I am icing at least 6 times a day
Question 4: I elevate all the time
Question 5: the day after my surgery my ROM was at 90'. I see my PT on Monday and suspect it will now be much lower. My extension is fine. Had problems with ROM with my LTKR. Surgeon kept threatening MUA.
Question 6: I only walk to the washroom right now. The rest of the time, I am either in bed or recliner elevating the leg.
Question 7:
2 sessions per day
Quads over roll with assistance x 5 reps
Quads over a roll, no assistance x 5 reps. I find this one very difficult and painful.
Heel slides x5 reps
Assisted knee bending with towel x 5 reps

I also do the following: foot and ankle pumps, static gluteal/hamstring strengthening and static quad strengthening. These are easy and I do them 3 times a day.
I seem to have a lot of swelling especially after doing heel slides.
 
@Josephine I hope you can see my answers to your questions above. I'm 2 weeks post op today. Things are much better with this knee than with the other in 2013. I think I need to remind myself that I am only 2 weeks in: started feeling so what normal yesterday and it continued through most of the day today but around 6pm it all changed - pain increased, heat, some swelling. Every night I'm finding myself assessing the day to determine how I should start the next day. I did excersizes once today and suspect I may have pushed to hard. So, tomorrow, will take it easy. Have reduced my meds by half from taking 2 tramacet every 4 hours to 1 tramacet every four hours - increasing to 2 when the pain goes up. Should I increase to 2 tramacet befor my excersizes or 2 after my exercises? Any other advice is appreciated. I think I was feeling so good that I thought I was recovering faster - I need t remind myself how long this journey takes.
 
hi there, I added a tag to your post to ensure Jo sees your replies -- I hope you don't mind :)

Did you know how the body goes about the process of healing following surgery (or an injury)?

Here is an article which explains this process.... :)

Healing Phases & Nutrition

This second link is to other nutritional articles which you may find interesting, including one relating to bone health.

Nutritional advice for pre op and recovery

This third link refers to my ongoing research..

nutritional-snippets-did-you-know
 
Hi everyone, well I'm 16 days in and had a bad day and would like som advice. I went into my threads from 2 years ago when I had my left knee done. What an interesting read. Got some great advice back then. My knee still hurts most of the time, I know that's normal. I am taking 37.5 tramacet. Have reduced them to 1 every 4 hours, with 2 when the pain is too high - reduced to average 6 a day. PT today was rough, painful and difficulty with ROM (even though I was at 90). Pain increased for the rest of the day. I'm wondering if I would be better off taking 2 tramacet every 5 hours to better manage pain? Also, can I take Tylenol to help?
 
Hi everyone, just wondering if anyone saw my last post above? Hoping for some support.
 
Wish I could help with the meds, but I'm not good with my own pain management so not qualified to give advice. I thought there was a chart somewhere in the articles that set out what combination of Tylenol and Tramacet you could take. I may be wrong and hopefully one of the mods will be along with words of wisdom.
 
I saw you tagged @Josephine , but I don't think she saw your answers to her questions. Please forgive me if I am wrong, Josephine.

If I were you I would stop all exercising until your knee stops hurting. I don't know much about meds. I took the maximum prescribed for me the first week and only slightly stepped down the second and third week. Good job on the elevation, icing and rest. Hope someone far wiser than I will offer suggestions soon.
 
I think it's too soon to be thinking about cutting down your medication. You still need to be taking it regularly, as prescribed, in doses that take care of the pain.

Also, PT should never hurt. Don't allow your therapist to be rough or to cause you pain. You need to have a talk with him/her and tell them to ease off and stop hurting you.
 
I'm so sorry - I never got the alerts and I also forgot to put this thread on watch which is usually always do when I've left The Questions!!
1: pain level is on average a 5 to 7. Pain level increased after doing heel raises and slides.
Well that's a red flag! More about that later
2: I am taking 37.5/325mg of Tramadol - 2 every 4 hours. Was setting my alarm at night to take them but have stopped doing that last 3 nights. Have taken a few gravol to deal with nausea. Have started stretching taking my Tramadol to every 5 hours (I only see my surgeon next Tuesday and may run out)
Why have you stopped taking them at night? And at 3 weeks, it's too soon to be cutting back. Weeks 2-7 is the very worst period for angry tissues.
I am icing at least 6 times a day andI elevate all the time
okay. But you can ice a lot more if you want to. Ice is nature's pain killer!
5: the day after my surgery my ROM was at 90'. I see my PT on Monday and suspect it will now be much lower. My extension is fine. Had problems with ROM with my LTKR. Surgeon kept threatening MUA.
Well, do remember the most common reason for poor ROM is swelling. Swelling is invariably caused by too much exercising.
6: I only walk to the washroom right now. The rest of the time, I am either in bed or recliner elevating the leg.
You need to be a little more active than that. Activity is what gets your ROM going. Did you read the articles left for you earlier? There was one titled Activity progression for TKRs which you should read again. For week three it reads
"Week 3 - Lengthen the walks around the house walks to about 5-10 minutes maybe 4-5 a day if it doesn't cause your knee to swell or be painful.
Activity: prepare yourself a small meal or a snack"

Your exercises - my comments in bold
2 sessions per day - make it one
Quads over roll with assistance x 5 reps - what assistance? if it's more than just a strap over yiour foot then don't do it
Quads over a roll, no assistance x 5 reps. I find this one very difficult and painful - then don't do it! Never do exercises that cause you pain: pain causes swelling. Swelling is painful and blocks ROM.
Heel slides x5 reps - you said earlier they hurt. Never do exercises that hurt. And just doign them twice a day is pointless. Read this Heel slides and how to do them.
Assisted knee bending with towel x 5 reps - you're doing heel slides, you don't need these as well.

3 times a day
foot and ankle pumps - these are just anti-clot activities, good but they don't count!
static gluteal/hamstring strengthening, static quad strengthening - how are these achieved? One thing I do know is that now is not the time to be doing strengthening exercises. Your muscles are not weak they are injured. So let them rest and maybe save these until later, week 10 at the earliest.

Short summary is that you are doing too much exercising and not enough simple activity like gentle walking around the house.
 
Thank you Josephine, I will take your advice. I need to re- read a lot of the articles I think. This knee is doing so much better than the last one did. I'm surprised that week 2 to 7 is the worst period for angry tissue. I think the emotional journey is tougher this time, just can't seem to get a handle on the time it will take to recover. The worst for me is when I wake up and have that feeling of the movie "Groundhog Day" where each day is the same as the last. Just venting though because I know how lucky I am that it is going so well. I will try more simple activity today. Would that include moving from a walker to a cane? I am 3 weeks out tomorrow. Thanks very much everyone.
 
Question, I am 4.5 weeks post op. At this point do I still need to sleep with my leg elevated? I have been and have had no problems sleeping. just curious how long I will need to elevate.
 
Well, 5 weeks post op today. Was hoping to get feedback on my last post. Also, I am really looking forward to sleeping on my side. Really tired of sleeping on my back. How long should it take until I could start sleeping on my side again? Have tried a few times but it's just too painful. Josephine mentioned that weeks 4 to 7 we deal with angry tissue that is healing, boy is she right! The whole leg ( especially below the knee) hurts. It's a different pain.
 
I never went out of my way to sleep with my leg elevated after I moved to the bed from my recliner at three or four weeks. If your knee is comfortable in another position, let it go there.


Jean

LTKR (Stryker Triathlon): 21 April 2015
Right Knee Arthroscopy: 25 July 2006
Left Knee Arthroscopy: 10 February 2005
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom