Guest viewing is limited

TKR Back for round two

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well hello there! Nice to see you again. Driving is usually dictated by the question 'can you do an emergency stop'? If not, don't drive. You'd never forgive yourself if a someone, a child or even a dog, ran out in front of you and you couldn't stop. This means, of course, being able to switch your foot from one pedal to the other without hesitation or fault.

You also have to be off narcotic pain relievers, or you can get a DUI!
 
Sleep however you are comfy. I did not worry about elevating at night after the first couple of weeks. You will see if any swelling you might have is adversely affected by not elevating. It is hard enough to sleep at night the first couple of months without worrying about elevating. I bought a body pillow and I roll over and rest my surgery leg up on it. It takes a while for sleep to get easy again. Just now getting there.
 
Thanks for the feedback, I will try a body pillow. I'm thinking if I could just get past the initial pain of being in a new position, I should be ok. Sigh, how I look forward to being back to normal and being able to think of things other than this knee. I keep trying to focus on the prize - being able to walk and shop, maybe go to an amusement park without holding everyone up.
 
Hi everyone. Well, I am 6 weeks post op and things are going really well. Better than when I had my LTKR in 2013. My ROM is 115! Not much swelling or heat. I continue to rest, elevate and ice and exercise as well as increase daily activity. Once again, I am only doing well because of the support received through this forum. It has given me the confidence to lead my recovery. I do have one question, I continue to take 2 tramadol every 6 hours during the day - so 6 per day. I'm finding it a little frustrating to hear many people who seem to think its time to start thinking about stopping taking meds. I'm usually good at not letting people make me doubt my progression but they are wearing me out. Should I start cutting down my meds again? I still have pain and I figure if I don't manage pain, my progression with exercise will stop. I'm also getting a bit frustrated with the comments "I know somebody who was fully recovered after 2 months". I pretty well ignore those comments though.
 
If you still have pain, you still need the meds. Don't take any notice of people who try to tell you different.
While it's a very individual experience, some people have needed pain medication for as long as 4 months. As your pain eases, you will be able to cut the Tramadol back to one tablet each dose and then wean onto Tylenol.

There's very little chance that you will become addicted. See this:
Myth busting: on getting addicted to pain meds
 
Thanks Celle. I would like to share my most recent experience over the last few days and hopefully get some feedback. My PT has had me start using a 2lb weight while doing quadriceps over a roll (no assistance) and straight leg raises, twice a day - 15 reps. I have never had difficulty sleeping until the last 3 days. While the pain is different at this point - pain seems to be throughout the whole leg, I hate that at 6 weeks, I start having trouble sleeping. I was also trying to reduce my tramadol from 6 a day to 4 a day. I'm starting to think I should not be using weights at this point and that this may be contributing to my sleeping issues. Could I be right or is it just the fact that I'm in the period of 4 to 7 weeks when the angry tissues are healing and I need to suck it up? I'm thinking that as of today, back to no weights and maintain my 6 tramadol a day until my normal sleeping is back. Looking forward to some advice.
 
@saultlooser
1. It's far too early to be using any weights, so tell your PT that you won't allow that. Your knee needs to heal for at least 3 months after surgery before you even contemplate using weights. The weights are probably contributing to the pain in your leg.

2. I'm sorry about the sleep issues. Most of us find that our sleep patterns are disturbed after this surgery. It can take a while before we start sleeping again properly. Reducing the Tramadol might or might not have contributed to it.

3. You're still having pain and it's early days in your recovery, so you still need to take the pain meds. I agree that you should keep taking 6 Tramadol a day until things settle down a bit.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Thank you so much for the feedback, I agree. Im the first to say, the knee is the boss. I think my knee has just given me a reminder of this over the last few days. I have to share a story - it amazes me how the PTs I dealt with for my first knee and now my second knee have no clue about bonesmart and when I explain it to them - they have a blank look on their face like they have no interest in what I am sharing. On Friday, at my PT appointment another person who was 4 weeks post op asked me how long it had been for me. She told me she couldn't bend her leg. She had just finished telling her PT that she had spent the week canning chow chow and beets. So, I delicately told her that in my opinion she can't bend her knee because she is doing too much and explained the mantra - rest, elevate and ice. Her surgeon told her that when she went home she could resume all activity! What is wrong with these people! I felt really bad for her but what surprised me is that the PT still had her trying heel slides, quad lifts with weights - so strange. I'm so happy I have found you guys.
 
I have come to the conclusion that there is an extreme shortage of common sense among physical therapists. Unfortunatley, they are driven by producing number based results for insurance companies' reimbursement of their services without regard to the individual patient's needs.
With that, I shall step down from my soapbox for today! :bolt:
 
you seem to be doing well at 6 weeks out. Glad for you that you found Bonesmart. And very glad you didn't have the other woman's OS, although I have to admit the thought of home-made pickled beets made my mouth water. Sure hope she isn't harvesting them herself from her garden at 4 weeks out from surgery! I had to request a different physical therapist because the first one I was assigned was a physical torturist. Bonesmart gives us the courage to stand up for what's best for *our* knee and *our* body. Glad you're advocating for yourself and asking questions along the recovery road.
 
Hi @saultlooser - I remember you from back in 2013 and then we were just a day apart with our first knees!
I've had the other one done too. Glad all is good with you and your second knee is healing nicely.
 
Hi hopper, so nice to hear from you. I remember you as well from the first round. I'm looking for your posts for your second TKR (I'm not very good at navigating this forum). It really helps me to read about other people's journey. Did you find recovery from your second knee easier than the first? I felt much better prepared this second time around. It's been going well as long as I remember that he knee is the boss.
 
You are so right - the knee is boss and yes, it's remembering that and letting it guide the way.
Its great having two new knees and at least, like you, I knew what to expect this time around! I certainly wasn't as miserable about the length of the recovery.
I'm not sure which was easier but both knees have been comfortable and relatively pain free after the first week. This was just as well as I have had terrible problems regarding my intolerance to pain relief meds. I've become almost totally intolerant and goodness knows what will happen if I ever need another op!!!
The physio I had in the US was brilliant - not pushy or painful - and really got me going. Now Im back in the UK I have to say I found it necessary to arrange good physio as I missed it and did feel it to be of great benefit.
The knees have been different - but then the ops were different - one was robotic and the other using the printed tool Embody technique. The jury is out as to which is better and has the longevity.
It's great to chat to you again. Keep in touch!
 
Hey, hopper, I also have a heck of a time dealing with pain meds - they make me sick most of the time so makes it real tough to go through surgeries. I can tolerate tramadol, sort of, it makes my stomach very upset which means I can't eat very much but I did have some pounds to shed so I'm dealing with it. At this point, 7 weeks post op, I would like some advice from others at the same stage of this journey. The cane: I am still using it but my PT said I was only supposed to use it to help with mt balance. I thought I should use it u tol the knee heals more. Also, question about PT: when I go to the hospital for my PT, I do my regular exercises and the the PT sometimes only talks to me, she barely touched my knee - the most she has done is pull on the leg to increase ROM for 5 minutes max. I'm driving a half hour to go for this physio, - just not sure it's worth it. Would like to hear what others PTs do.
 
Your PT should be doing more for you, gait training, massage of your knee, etc. She should doing more than telling you your cane is only for balance, she should show you how to use it.
Sounds like you can do the exercises at home, and maybe go for a check up in a few weeks if that.
If you are limping you will need the cane, it will help you from learning bad walking habits.
Members have done very well without PT, is it not always necessary.
 
@saultlooser I was given a walker initially then a cane in the US - but crutches then a cane in the UK. I liked the walker to start off with during the first week, and the crutches really did help me stride out, give support and improve my gait. So ideally I'd have liked a walker then crutches - not what I got though.
The cane was a bit ineffectual for me although it kept people away in more crowded places as I swung it around my head in a circle (not really!!!) - and it certainly helped me get a seat on public transport! People were very kind on the tube.
Sounds like your PT is a waste of time. My first one here in the Uk was hopeless so I changed - best thing I ever did! I've had ten sessions some of 30 mins and some of one hour. I'm very sporty and wanted to get my strength, a good gait and flexibility back. The lovely knee massage, followed by strengthening and balance exercises have been of great value and enjoyable. My PT has sorted out my ITB issues.
You should be getting lots of good treatment and advice from your PT for sure.
 
Thanks pumpkin and hopper.
Hopper, what is ITB? I just got back from physio. Again, only thing she did was a few tugs on the leg. She now thinks I'm doing too much. Have been walking without my cane for a few days. I will start doing my own thing, practice my gait and work on balance on my own for a few weeks. My issue is that the pain goes right up into my, pardon the language, my butt cheek. I'm thinking this is probably due to my poor walking skills at this point. Would like to go for a massage or visit to chiro. Not complaining because this second knee has been much better than the first but I guess I'm just impatient and I seem to spend a lot of time thinking "what should I do next - walk more, rest more, meds, no meds etc...." I know, the knee is the boss. I think when you near the 2 month mark its easy to fall in the trap of " well it's been 2 months so I should be good to go - NOT"
 
@saultlooser , you could try asking your PT for help with gait and balance. It sounds to me as if that would be of more benefit than what they are doing now.
 
Thanks Celle, may try that. I'm doing some exercises for balance right now - didn't realize how important it was until now.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom