Guest viewing is limited

TKR Back for round two

Status
Not open for further replies.
I had piriformis syndrone as well as my pelvis tilted forward from my poor gait early on in recovery. The PT adjusted my pelvis and it gave immediate relief. I did the piriformis stretch ( lying on my back, raising the leg on the painful side with knee bent ( as much as possible) and with hands behind my knee, pulling that leg gently toward the opposite shoulder. You can feel the stretch in the buttocks! Add ice and stir! :happydance:
 
This is definitely a possibility. I will try some of the exercises to see if I get a goo stretch. Thanks for your help
 
My PT didn't do a lot with me, helped with my flexion and told me how to use the anti gravity treadmill. He showed my how to walk down stairs putting my good leg first and that's about it. I see him for the last time on Tuesday. It is funny how different physiotherapy is from country to country.
 
@saultlooser ... I will caution you about ditching your walking aids too soon. If you are walking with any limp or pain, then it's too soon. You'll do yourself more harm than good by trying to "tough it out" under these conditions. The purpose of a walker or cane or crutches is to allow you to resume a normal gait (wide stride with good heel to toe flow) with the addition of a little extra support. You'll get stronger faster by using the aid and walking normally.
 
Thanks Jamie, I think you're right. I've been working on my gate while using my cane. I had forgotten what it's like when you reach the 2 month mark and people start looking at you thinking you should be back to normal. I know they just don't get it but it does play with your mind and I'm finding it harder and harder to concentrate on this recovery when others obviously think I should be moving on. I'm lucky though, my husband gets it and keeps telling me to take my time, take my meds and rest.
 
Hi everyone, I am 9 weeks post-op. I think I may have piriformis syndrome. I will do more reading on this site this morning to try and figure out what is going on. When I went to bed last night, my whole leg hurt from my bum to my ankle. I couldn't sleep because. Just couldn't find a position that would allow rest. I spent half the night up watching tv. I don't think I did too much yesterday. Again, it feels like my body is a great mystery that I have to solve today. It's one of 3 things: piriformis syndrome, not enough meds(as I am trying to cut down), too much walking without my cane, poor gait. So this morning I'm sitting here trying to figure out what I need to do today that will ensure I get a good night sleep tonight. So frustrated. So happy that I have this forum to share my journey with people who understand.
 
:friends:Have you tried the piriformis stretch ( as described previously)????? It really helped me. Better grab that cane today, too just for good measure. Hope you feel better. Not sleeping makes everything worse! And take those pain meds! No medals given for false bravery and enduring pain!
 
Thank you for the advice, the piriformis stretch really helps. Using my cane more and pacing my activity. I manage to sleep on my side, yippee, even if only for an hour or so at a time - I'll take it.
 
Well, I will be 10 weeks out next Tuesday. Have been having great difficulty sleeping for the last week, restless leg, muscle pain keeping me up to 2 to 4am in the morning before it settles. Tonight while trying to settle the leg, my husband says to me, maybe its withdrawal symptoms from tramadol. I have cut down quite a bit over the last week. I have been told tramadol is nor addictive but much to my surprise, I looked it up on the Internet and whether or not they are addictive, you do go through withdrawal symptoms when you stop taking them and I can certainly share that it is not pleasant. I'm done with them effective right now and will either go to using Advil or Tylenol. The tramadol did help me a lot but now I get why my doctor didn't want to give me more of them. I think we need to look up withdrawal symptoms prior to cutting back on our pain meds in order to know what we are in for. Sorry, feeling quite frustrated tonight, had to vent.
 
Ok, my last post was written in the middle of the night, I was quite crabby! I just read an article on this forum on how to reduce your pain meds to lessen the pain of withdrawals - I really wish I had read it prior to just drastically cutting back last week because as stated in my above post - the withdrawal symptoms have been terrible (terrible restless leg, muscle pain and flu like symptoms). So make sure you read the article available on this forum prior to quitting your pain meds, trust me, I've learned the hard way. Just an FYI, my daughter is a Physician and she suggested drinking tonic water would help with the withdrawal symptoms - I don't really understand that but will try it. At this point there is no turning back for me, I'm off the meds, using Advil and so far so good.
 
Sorry you learned this the hard way. I think the tonic water can help with muscle cramps.

Lots of us are able to just naturally reduce the pain meds and have no problems. I didn't have tramadol, but my OS prescribed oxycodone at first and then reduced to hydrocodone.
I think the body gets used to the drugs (dependent), so you're not addicted but the body needs to readjust to being without it. There's an article in the library about this.

I hope you feel better soon.
 
I can relate to this! I just wrote a post on my thread about it. It took me completely by surprise. I think the BS article on stopping meds could be emphasized more (not sure how). I wonder if others here have experienced those symptoms and just haven't realized what was going on. P.S. I did the tonic water thing - no help at all that I noticed.
 
So glad I found someone who can relate. I do think that most people don't realize what's going on. We are do busy trying to figure out what step we are at in recovery including doi still needs my meds, should I cut back, what about my rom etc... I abosuletly love the mantra and all articles posted on BS VUT would really like to suggest an article listing the list of meds we use along with expected withdrawal symptoms so that members van prepare themselves. I have to admit, this past week has been the worst week of this whole journey. Slept 1 hour Saturday night,mstayed up all day Sunday assuming I would fall asleep easily. 9pm take an Ativan and a sleeping pill to make sure I sleep - walked around, moved bed to bed, finally was able to settle the leg around 12:30. The feeling of not being able to control this is very scary.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom