THR Back again! this time for a LTHR...

Status
Not open for further replies.
@sunsetbiking
Sounds like what you are gong through with the swelling is normal. My leg and foot were swollen for 3.5 wks. This wk my knee is still abit swollen. It gets stiff after I walk on it for a long time. My incision is still abit swollen but getting better.
Know what you mean about removing bandages. I am a whimp as well. I just hate all medical issues. lol.
The weather here in Chicago is like yours - cold, rainy, sunny and snowing. My neighbor and I call this weather 'bipolar'.
Have a nice wkend and hope your recovery continues to go smoothly.
 
@Arlene56 Yes my recovery is going very well. Thank you for checking in.
Last night I was woke a few times to my quad muscles spasming. The spasms got so bad at one point If I could I would have jumped up out of the bed, but of course everything is slow motion. Got up walked around some and that helped settle everything.
My big concern is my knee, it is so stiff, I know it's because of the swelling and from being manipulated. I just keep trying to bend it and stretch it. It will bend again, I just need to keep on it and it takes time. Sometimes it is just hard to be patient.
Have a nice weekend.
 
@sunsetbiking
My knee was very stiff too. But it is so much better now. Stiff at times though but not like earlier in recovery. I think the heel slides help and walking. I had muscle spasms around the same time as you but have not had any in over a wk. Being patient is hard. I worry about my knee as well as I have arthritis in it and I really don't want to have my knee replaced. Before surgery I mentioned that to surgeon to try and be careful of knee.
Woke up to snow on ground. But this upcoming week the weather is suppose to be in the 50s and sunny. :yay:
Have a great wkend!
 
@Arlene56 I'm glad to hear that it's not just me that had the knee stiffness, not that I am wishing it on anyone, but it's nice to know that I'm not the only one.
I had the muscle spasms with my other hip too. This morning I pulled out my massaging stick and rolled it across the quad muscle, it was a little tender but felt much better after, I think I will use it through out the day today.

I have no snow at my house right now, my cousin lives in Jackson and she got a few inches on the ground. She is coming to visit me for the day, so hopefully the snow stays away the rest of the day. I saw on the news this morning that was going to be in 50s here too!

Have a good weekend too!
 
Recovery is going well, still not sleeping very well in my bed. I usually just give up after tossing and turning several times and go and sleep in my recliner. After doing a few exercises with PT my leg swells all the way down to my foot, the most annoying swelling is around the ankle, it is an uncomfortable feeling. I know it will go away with time, it just seems nothing helps with the swelling. I have been icing non stop and elevating the leg.
I guess this is minor to complain about and I am very thankful that my recovery is going very well.
 
That sleep deprivation seems to be a real nuisance doesn't it. Tell me, if you are able to sleep in your recliner have you thought about spending the whole night there? So sorry to near about the swelling and hope it settles down soon, but good to hear you are generally happy with your recovery. Well done!
 
@Miss Muffet yes the sleep deprivation is a nuisance, I am able to sleep all night in my chair. I usually just sleep there, I'm just being a whine baby, I miss my big bed! :sleep:
I plan on just sleeping in my chair tonight, I have to get up early for testing for a possible new job.
Thank you for the encouragement!
 
I'd miss my lovely bed too! But grab your kip wherever you can -:chillpill: I firmly believe that it's really helpful for healing. And GOOD LUCK tomorrow! :flwrysmile:
 
Today is 2 weeks with the new hip. I am looking forward to the next coming week and transitioning over to the Cane. My recovery has been uneventful and so much different than my RTHR. This recovery seems to have more pain than the last recovery, the only difference between the two surgeries was the fracture of the greater tronchanter of the right hip. 3 years ago the Doctors suggested just toe-touch for 4 weeks. I did have very limited PT during the first 4 weeks. I feel by not walking on the new hip did allow everything to heal and settle.

This hip has been much more painful, mostly a non stop ache. It is controlled by pain meds and non stop ice. I am more active with this hip verses the last hip replacement. With this hip, if it gets that stiffness feeling, I have found just a short walk around the house helps relieve that feeling.

The only complaint I have is sleeping, I have been spending most of my time sleeping in my recliner and most nights I sleep very well. As the muscles are healing they started spasming during the night. I found this relieved by either moving the leg or simply getting up and take a few steps. I really want to sleep in my bed, I have tried several different ways of stacking pillows behind my back and under my legs to mimic the recliner, so far I haven't been able to stay in my bed all night long. Usually after a couple of hours of tossing I give up and retreat to the recliner. I know I just to be a little more patient and with time I will be able to sleep all night in my bed.

Here is to more healing and getting closer everyday to gaining a more active lifestyle. :flwrysmile:
 
Today was my first post-op visit and it's been 18 days since surgery. Even though this is my second hip replacement, the recoveries have been very different and they have been very similar as well. This hip has been much more painful, and after speaking with the OS he explained that he used a size larger in this hip and worked much harder and more carefully at putting in the new joint, he didn't want a repeat of the other hip. (a fracture). He also did a mild manipulation of the knee replacement on the same leg as the new THR, this did cause more pain and muscle aches.

My knee is another story and is still giving my troubles. I lost my ROM and the OS manipulated it to 90 degrees, I have not been able to get 90 since surgery. I am lucky to get 40 degrees. At today's appointment he did mention after the hip has completely healed he would talk to me about another procedure on the knee, he said something about casting the knee. I knew I should have asked him to explain the procedure more, but in fact I was surprise he was even thinking about doing something else, I had even had a conversation with his PA and she was very truthful with me and was very confident that the OS wouldn't take the risk of doing another manipulation. I do go back in another month and I will ask more about this procedure and get a better feel if this is something I want to pursue. Don't get me wrong I do want to have more ROM in my knee and there are so many simple things that I can not do because of the limited ROM, but I really am thankful that the arthritis pain is gone. I will cross that bridge at a later date and right now I am focusing on my LTHR recovery.
 
Day 22 of recovery - Today is my last home PT visit. I am walking with the cane & the walker and continue to keep practicing with the cane.
I learned to go up & down the stairs with the cane today. Out of all the things that you need to relearn to do after a joint replacement, the stairs is my biggest fear. I am so afraid of falling down the stairs, this stems from the weakness of the muscles in the knees and legs. I can do them without difficulty.

I am released from PT and will continue to do PT on my own. PT stressed to continue the simple exercises and to walk and the muscles will continue to get stronger. It amazes me how fast the recovery is coming along. I still feel the effects of major joint surgery, such as tiring out easily and having to take a mid day nap.

I am looking forward to the upcoming summer months and enjoying the activities without the arthritis pain!
 
HI @sunsetbiking!
I just finished catching up on your thread. You have such determination! I'm so sorry you're still having difficulties and your OS suggesting another possible procedure. I guess if it's needed, you'll deal with it at that time. Have you been able to sleep in your bed comfortably yet? Sending you well wishes and a speedier and less painful recovery going forward.
 
Hi @Cynthia777 I am still having a hard time sleeping in my bed. Last night I slept (if you can say that) in my bed, I have tried all different positions with the pillows, I can lay on my operated side for a short time and also on my non operated side. I only sleep about an hour in each position and then the hip starts throbbing or cramping and I need to either sit up and dangle my legs off the side of the bed or get up and walk. Usually a trip to the restroom stops the cramping and I start over again.

If I sleep in my recliner, I am able to sleep at longer stretches until my hip starts spasming for me to move. If I really need a good nights sleep to function the next day, I just sleep in my recliner. I did read a comment on here that someone referred to sleeping in a recliner like sleeping with a straight jacket, :heehee:. I totally relate to the reference.

I do remember the last joint replacements that I had, I spent a fair amount of time night walking. I don't remember how long it lasted. I know it will go away and I will get a good night sleep. I am open to any suggestions on what others are doing to get through the night and how to position pillows.

@Cynthia777 I see you have your second THR coming up in a couple of days, good luck on your surgery!
 
Good Morning @sunsetbiking - Not having a proper night's sleep is worse than going through pain recovery sometimes. I experience this on occasion and it can leave me wiped out the next day! I have/had problems with leg cramping and spasms and my Dr. prescribed Gababentin early on. Once I went through my second operation, I thought I could wean myself off but began having leg problems again which affected my sleep so I went back on. It has helped. I also will take Melatonin as a sleep aid if that is an option for you. You would just have to check with with Drs. on this.

You are still very early out with your recovery. Are you still on any pain meds at this point? Otherwise, you sound like you are in good spirits!

I am out for the day and this will wear me out by the time we get home. Should sleep well tonight! :wink:

Have a great day!
 
I used to have to get up and ice. I would take the pain medication and lay on the couch with ice packs at 3:00 a.m. After that I could usually sleep. I'm sorry to hear you are having difficulties.
 
@keepmovin I was on Gababentin before my surgery for pain, this was before I was diagnosed with needing the THR. I was seeing the pain clinic and they put me on it, I stopped taking it because I didn't see any improvement with the pain. In my opinion it was because of the bone on bone pain from the hip and I just needed a THR. I hadn't seen the surgeon to confirm I was bone on bone.
At my post of visit last week I told the OS and the PA about the spasms and they didn't want to put me on anything else that would cause more drowsiness at night. I also explained to them when I would get up and walk it would go away/
I am still taking Oxycodone 5mg and 2 tylenol every 6 hours for pain. I can sometimes skip one of the daytime doses because the pain is not there or controlled with ice.
Last night was difficult because I was more active. I did some shopping, most of it was ridding in a scooter, but I did walk into the store and back to the car. Today I will be a little more active again visiting my mom at the nursing home. I hope with more activity the hip will become more accustom to the activity.
 
On Thursday I will be at 5 weeks into my recovery. Everything seems to be going well, I still have some achiness after walking a bit and icing and a couple of Tylenol relieves the pain. The recovery for this hip is a bit different than the last hip and seems to have more pain, I really don't remember having pain this far out after surgery. It might be because I compared my hip recovery to my TKR surgery that was a year prior.
This hip gets very annoyed at night, I haven't been able to sleep more than 2 hours without being woke up from the pain, it feels more like cramping or spasm pain. As soon as I get up and move the pain does lowers intensity or goes away and I'm able to go back to bed and fall asleep for another hour to two hours and it happens all over again.
Has anyone experienced this type of pain during their recovery and does it go away on it's own or do I need to contact my OS and see about a muscle relaxer or is there something else I can do to help stop the night time pain and spasms?
 
Last edited by a moderator:
It sounds unusual to me. Maybe I'm wrong, but every time I read your thread I feel a little bit concerned. You've had three surgeries, though. I'm sure that takes its toll. I didn't have as much pain as you are describing, but everybody is different. Do you feel like you are getting better? Are you icing? That used to help me if I had pain at night. I would get up and ice. Take care...
 
Just got caught up with your thread. I am sorry you are having problems and a are uncomfortable. Lack of sleep is the worse and not being able to sleep for a long extended period is aggravating. Have you tried Camomile Tea? I have been having that before bedtime and that helps me to fall asleep. I agree with @hip hip hooray that maybe contacting surgeon. That way your mind can be at peace. Wish there was something else I could say to help as I feel for you. Hang in there. :flwrysmile::flwrysmile:
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom