Guest viewing is limited

THR Back again! this time for a LTHR...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thank you for the kind messages. My surgery started at 7:30 am and I believe it finished at 11:00 am, the first day and night I didn't do much of anything but sleep or I should say tried to sleep. There was a patient across the hall that was hard of hearing and he had his tv blasting and he was there 2 days and had not slept at all! I finally had the nurse shut my door and I was able to sleep.

I would wake up from pain. They gave me Dilaudid by IV because I told them Morphine would make me nauseous, If they were to give me Zolfran for the nausea I can tolerate. They chose to give me the Dilaudid and I didn't feel that it was controlling my pain as long as the Morphine. The nurse suggested asking the Dr to make the change and I was switch over to Morphine.
PT came in first thing in the morning before I had my first dose of Morphine and the pain was very intense and I wasn't able to walk very far.

Once I received my first dose of Morphine I was able to move much easier, OT came in and she was impressed that I was able to get washed up and dressed without any assistance from her. I passed OT! One step closer to going home! PT came back after lunch to work with me again, this time I was able to walk farther, do the steps and get in and out of the bed (that was not a pretty site! lol!) I passed with PT and she was paging the DR to see if I could go home! I still had to do the joint class, but I was cleared to go home.
I was a little anxious about going home, I was afraid the pain wasn't going to be controlled with the pain pills. On top of the Morphine I was also getting Oxycodone along with 2 tylenol.

I finally got home around 7:15 pm I got settled into my chair and I just couldn't get comfy, I ended up going to bed around 9, it was very painful getting into bed and I had to have help getting into bed, I was a little worried that I wouldn't be able to get back in again if I need to get up in the middle of the night after using the restroom.
I feel asleep right away, I took my pain meds as soon as I got into the bed, so that helped. I did get up a few times in the night and I was able to get back to bed by myself and the pain seems to be getting less intense as the days go on. Even though my sleep was broken up, I do feel very rested and am so glad I got to come home after one day.

The nurse is coming today at 11:00 and PT is also coming out today as well. I have 3 weeks of home PT 3 times a week and no out patient PT at all.

So far recovery is going very well, my advice for all of you that waiting to have your surgery, make sure you keep the pain managed and under control and use the ice packs! Ice works just as well as the pain meds!!
 
@sunsetbiking Welcome again to the other side! Stay ahead of any pain - you know the drill!

I moved your thread to the recovery area so members can follow your journey. Let me know if you want the title changed.

Happy healing!
 
Well PT and the nurse came today and all is well, did my exercises with PT. The leg lifts were very difficult to do and she had to assist with them, she also said she did not want me doing them on my own. whew....
Today has been mostly just controlling the pain and napping in my recliner.
 
@sunsetbiking
Wow. You are home already. It appears you are doing well. As you know the first few days are tough.
I wanted to ask ... Are you a bike rider? I like your bike and sunset picture.
Hope you have restful sleep
 
Hi @Arlene56 I am doing well, the difficult part of the first few days is sleeping in a comfortable spot.
Yes I am an avid bike rider, I can not wait to get back to riding this summer. I haven't rode my bike since last July. I was doing at least 10 miles everyday before the pain took over.
 
@sunsetbiking
Same here. I love biking. Have you ever heard of Ragbri which is held in July riding across the state of Iowa? It's a wk long event. My husband did it last year for the first time. He said it was life changing and is scheduled to participate again this July.

My hubby and I just started biking a few years ago. Last May we did Bike the Drive downtown Chicago. They closed Lakeshore Drive which runs along Lake Michigan. It was so much fun. Then this summer this is this one women's group that's called Bike and Sip. Bike first then drinks and snacks afterwards at the bike store

So do you participate in any riding events?

Hope your recovery goes well.
Enjoy your evening
 
Hi @sunsetbiking, I'm so glad to hear that you are home. You are so right about the ice and meds. I hope your pain is decreasing. It sounds like your surgery was long for just one hip. I double checked to see if you had a bilateral. Anyway, I'm hoping that you are able to sleep, and that the pain pills are numbing you. I'm surprised they give straight leg lifts at this stage. Take care...
 
@Arlene56 in Detroit they do a big ride called Tour De troit it's a 30 mile police escort ride that takes place in September, I was getting ready for that ride last year and was not able to do it because of my hip. I would love to do it this year, but realistically I don't think I would be ready for that big of a ride.

I just started riding again after my knee replacement in 2012 and in between surgeries and recovery I have done a couple of bike tours that the bike shops offer. One was a tour of part of Downtown Detroit in the Eastern Market area. It was really neat to get a different view of the city on a bike.

Near my house there are bike trails that go for miles and most of them are connected through the whole state. I often ride the one that goes to Lake St. Clair.

I have not heard of the Ragbri, that sounds really fun. Michigan does one that goes across the Mackinaw Bridge I believe it's a 2 or 3 day ride. I would love to do that one.

My daughter can't wait for us to start riding again this summer, and neither can I. Bike ridding for me is so freeing and clears my mind.

Have a great night as well!
 
@Hip Hip Hooray! I'm not positive about the end time. The surgeon also did some manipulation of my left knee replacement as well. I have had issues with my knee replacement and loss of ROM and it getting stiff. So I think that was why I was in OR longer.
I was surprised about the leg lifts also, but she was doing most of the lifting of my leg.
The pain meds are working well and I'm going to try and sleep in my recliner tonight and see if I can sleep for a longer stretch of time. Laying flat on my back is very uncomfortable for me.
 
@sunsetbiking
Riding a bike does give you a different view of the city. We also have bike trails near our home. In the summer my hubby and I usually put in a 20-30 mile ride on the bike path. There are little cafes along the way as well. It's so relaxing.

Funny story. Many years ago my hubby won a trip to Hawaii with work. So during our stay in Maui we did a bike excursion. We had to load into vans before the crack of dawn. We headed up this mountain, watched the most beautiful sunrise then hopped on bikes down down down the steep mountain. Now, there were no rails on the sides of the road to prevent one from going over. There were other groups that do this as well spacing about 20 minutes between each group. Well, I was the slowest in our group. The leaders kept telling me to speed up abit. Well wouldn't you know the next group caught up with me so they told me I had to ride in the van to the bottom of the mountain. Talk about embarrassing. :biking::oyvey:It was a relief though to get into the van. I was able to see the sights instead of red knuckling it down the mountain. I'm a chicken not going to lie.

The bike ride across Mackinaw Bridge sounds wonderful. Never been up that way but I hear it is beautiful.

Here's to goal of riding bikes again this summer :yay::cheers:
 
@Arlene56 that would be awesome to be able to ride down a mountain in Hawaii, I can totally relate to being a bit nervous of going over the side. Especially with a big group of people. Sounds like you still had a good time sitting in the van and got a better view.

Riding a bike does give you a different view of the city.
Detroit is going through such a "re-birth" and they are even creating bike lanes on the main city streets. They also have an area called the Dequindre cut it was formerly a Grand Trunk Railroad line and it's a walking/biking path that is below-street level. Each of the over passes have urban artwork and graffiti on them, it is so cool. If you ever come to Detroit bring your bike and take a ride on the Dequindre cut.

Yes here is our goal to riding bikes again this summer! :bicycle1: :cheers:
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom