Guest viewing is limited

THR Back again! this time for a LTHR...

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm sure you'll make it. I remember the first time I rode my bike after this surgery. I just felt elated. It was exhilarating. It feels so much better without that bone on bone pain.

I've researched some of the bike tours through Europe. They look fantastic. It's an ideal form of exercise after having your hips replaced. I think it's wonderful that there are so many new bike paths in the US. We have 300 miles of them here. I especially like the ones that are free from cars.
 
It would be great if I can make it, there are so many other rides available I can join if I don't make this years Tour De Troit.

Bike tours through Europe would be so awesome, are you planning on visiting Europe soon @Hip Hip Hooray! ?

After my first hip replacement I remember the first time I got back on my bike and how elated I felt riding again. I can't wait to experience that feeling again. We also have many miles of bike paths that are free of cars, they have become so popular and they keep expanding across the state.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Day 3 after surgery and all I want to do today is sleep. I slept better last night and I feel rested. I know the pain meds play a big roll in the drowsiness. I sit here in my chair and i am trying to reading everyone's threads and my eyes get so heavy and I just give in to the sleepiness. Off again for a bit to take another nap.....
 
Hi @Toddlermom thank you for checking in with me, I am doing ok, the pain has been a little higher today and my leg has quite a bit of swelling, which I think is causing the pain to increase. I am elevating with extra pillows now and continuing with my ice. I did get a nice shower today and that always feels good!

Michigan is so cold today and sitting on ice is making my whole body shake. I hope it warms up here soon!

Thank you everyone for your support! :SUNsmile:
 
Hi @sunsetbiking, I'm glad to hear that you are elevating and icing. As you know, the first three days are the worst. Taking a shower makes such a difference! I remember how heavenly the first shower after surgery felt. I'm sorry it's so cold there. It must be hard to ice when it makes your body shake.

I'm not planning on going to Europe soon, but I have read about the bike tours on line. For now I just enjoy riding around my neighborhood with my dogs.
 
@sunsetbiking- Do you have a heating pad? I also get chilly when icing (live in New England.) I use a heating pad whenever I ice- on back or tummy or just next to me (not on op hip.) You might want to give it a try. Of course, it's a lot to wrangle with - ice packs, pillows, blankets, heating pad (and cats also, in my house)!

I'm glad you're getting sleep and were able to take a refreshing shower.

I'm also really looking forward to be able to ride my bike again!

Rest and rest! May your good recovery continue!
 
@Readysetgo - I do have a heating pad, I also have an electric throw and thought about getting that out to put on top of me. All my other surgeries have been done during the warmer months, so icing wasn't so bad. Today it looks warm outside, but looks are very deceiving here! Only in the 30's with a feel like temp in the 20's I am thankful I don't have to leave the house! :heehee:
 
@Arlene56 if that was the same mountain I'm thinking of in Maui, it was hard enough on my nerves to do that in a car! I remember we drove up the mountain to be up there at sunrise, then white knuckled it all the way down. I'm not a fan of heights so I'm not sure what I was thinking doing this excursion - I can only imagine doing it on a bicycle - I give you credit for doing any part of it, van or no van. :scaredycat:

@sunsetbiking, I'm enjoying catching up on your thread. Glad you are getting some much needed rest. Take care.
 
@sunsetbiking
Sounds like you are doing well and trying to keep warm. I have used a heating pad under my arm. That helped with the chills and teeth chattering.

The revitalizing of Detroit sounds exciting. I hope that brings people down there. I actually read a book that was based in Detroit. It was about these 2 men who had the same name and lived on opposite sides of Detroit. It was very good.

I looked up the Mackinaw Bike event. Guess they have two-one in June and August. I would hope I could do the low mileage route in August. My hubby said we could participate if I am healed.

Are you still sleeping in your recliner? I did that for the first few days. Still take naps in the recliner.

Well I hope all is going well. It sure is a relief to be on the other side. :flwrysmile:
 
@sunsetbiking - you're doing well.
Hard to ice when it's cold I'm sure, but if it helps with the swelling persevere. :ice:
And sleeping is just what you need - don't fight it :chillpill:
 
@Hipster Girl
Sounds like the same mountain. The sunrise was absolutely breathtaking with all of the beautiful colors. It was amazing. It was worth the ride up the steep mountain. Although I remember saying prayers while in the van. The van was pulling a trailer full of bikes. Yikes. :shocked:

Maui was beautiful though.

Hope you are recovering nicely. Have a nice evening
 
@Arlene56 the revitalizing of Detroit is going great, there is always something going on and the city has life again! The hospital I had surgery is downtown in Detroit and when we left the night I was discharged, I said to my daughter look at all the people and all the bustling going on. Detroit is making a good come back and they are trying to rebuild the neighborhoods. Still has a long way to go, but now there is hope and it does make a big difference.

That would be cool if you came to do the Mackinaw bike tour. I did a google search of the one my friend's Husband and her 2 sons did one year. It starts in East Lansing and goes up to Mackinaw City and if you want you can go across the bridge. This one is 4-5 day camping and bike ride. I would love one day to become fit enough to do this ride. He is a link to the website that details the ride. https://www.dalmac.org/

I started out in my bed last night with my leg propped up and 2 pillows, by 2 am my pain meds wore off and the hip pain was very intense and my lower back is not happy with laying on my back. I usually sleep on my sides. I moved to my recliner after taking my pain meds and slept until 6:30 am. My cousin is coming to visit me this weekend and she has a wedge pillow for under your legs, I think that will help a bunch.

The first week is the hardest and it keeps getting better everyday.

Yes it is so wonderful to be on the other side! :flwrysmile::happydance:

I just looked at your surgery date, you are almost at the one month anniversary! I hope all is going well.

Have a nice evening!
 
@Miss Muffet - yes I am doing well. I had in home PT today and that went very well. I am using a walker right now without wheels and my mom had one with wheels and a seat on it, the therapist said I could start using that one tomorrow, she is going to adjust the height for me. So I graduated to a better walker! Yay more freedom!

OT also came today and gave a good tip on my shower bench that will make it so much easier for me to take my showers. Today has been a busy day and I am able to go longer between the doses of the pain meds. 30 mins after taking my meds I must take a nap! I am not fighting it at all and enjoy being able to nap whenever I can!

10 more days until your surgery! are you getting anxious? Soon you will be on the other side too!
 
@sunsetbiking - hey look at you! :spin: It is quite wonderful to hear all this encouraging news about your progress. Really happy that you've shared it. And glad that you're taking advantage of napping. Personally I don't think I'll need much pushing on that. I love my sleep and will be what my Hubster refers to as a "Nazbag" if I dip out on it, so I see napping as the way ahead! :chillpill:

So tell me all about the shower bench. I've got mine installed and ready for the off (and a good, reliable shower mat) - so please tell all about this extra tip.

Yes, truthfully am anxious. My preOp tomorrow may help to quell some of the anxiety. Being a control freak is no fun - and I have to let go and allow the experts take over
 
@Miss Muffet no big secret with the shower bench. I had the back of the bench facing the water handles and when I would sit on the bench I would have to swing my leg over the toilet seat which was much higher than the bench, I think I was close to breaking the 90 degree precaution. She switch the back to the other side pushed the bench back. I am now able to sit down onto the toilet and then transfer right over to the shower bench and only lifting my leg over the side of the tub.

Good Luck on your preOp appointment! Yes let the experts take over, you will be fine. :flwrysmile:
 
Good Morning everyone!
The nurse came today to remove the bandage. The doctor used a new type of bandage that has the rubber type edge and covering which makes it waterproof. It also makes it a little more difficult to remove. All I have to say is OUCH! I also laugh that I can go through the pain of 3 different Joint replacements but I am the biggest wimp when it comes to the pain of removing a bandage, LOL!
It just felt like tiny needles when he was pulling it off the skin. I'm sure it wasn't as bad as I'm making out to be...
I did like this bandage much better than the previous bandages that were used on my other incisions.
I hope everyone has a good day!
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Today has already been 1 week since my LTHR! it's amazing how fast time goes by.

Last night I was talking to a fellow hippy friend I told her this hip was much more painful than my RTHR, then it dawned on me, my first THR the Greater Trochanter was fractured when they put in the new joint and I was on a toe-touch restriction for 4 weeks. I didn't walk on my hip until my 4 week post op visit, so that explains why I had barely any pain with the last one.
Last night the hip was much more painful and there was more swelling. I didn't sleep well and still woke up with a fair amount of pain and swelling. PT came today and she could tell I was much more stiff and I am also having some PT on my LTKR and I am once again having difficulty bending the knee.
The weather here has been going up and down, one moment it's raining and the next moment it's snowing. Today it's cold/damp and it's suppose rain, I'm pretty sure the weather is playing a big part in my stiffness.
 
How soon did you begin sleeping on your non-operated side with a pillow between your legs? I'm not finding sleeping on my back in my bed very comfortable and have been sleeping in my recliner, which last night I actually slept 5 1/2 straight.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom