THR AussieMike returns

Status
Not open for further replies.
CURRENT DATE: Sunday 30 September
Procedure: LTHR
Post Op: 6 days
Location: Rehabilitation Hospital
Current Weight: 78kg / 172Ib
Target Weight: 70kg / 154bIb

CURRENT ISSUES:

Moderate swelling around incision
Muscle soreness in upper left thigh and left shin
Ache in upper left glute.

CURRENT PAIN MANAGEMENT:

10mg Endone every 3-4 hours upon request
Gabapentin every 12 hours
Panadol every 6 hours
Aspirin 150mg per day
Ice packs as required

TODAY'S FOOD PLAN:

Breakfast
Apple juice, Muesli, plain low fat yoghurt, scrambled eggs, lemon & ginger tea

Lunch
Light assorted sandwiches, fresh fruit, pineapple juice

Dinner
Tomato & basil soup, mongolian lamb, seasonal vegetables, low fat milk, fresh fruit


TODAY'S FOCUS:

1. Three 10 minute walks around hospital
2. 11:30 PT session - introduction to rehabilitation program
3. Breathing exercises with 'ball machine'

NOTES:

07:39 A disrupted night's rest in new surroundings. Used Endone for pain relief at around 10pm and 06:30am. Used ice as my hip swelling was quite painful throughout the night. Confident in that the pain management is under control for now. Looking forward to the first PT session and hope it includes hydrotherapy.

09:53 Relocated to upstairs room to accommodate the special needs of another patient. Had a shower by myself. Unable to wash below the knees so will need a long handled sponge to do that. Able to dress myself except for TED socks. Baggy shorts are ideal for guys as you can set them on the floor and step into them and pull them up with a long handled grabber.

13:00 Attended my first physio session for an hour at 11:30am We did some basic exercises for hip flexors, glutes and abductors. The PT also measured my range of motion - 62 degrees for hip flexon and 28 degrees for hip abduction. Not too bad for a starting point. Returned to my room for lunch and felt greater stability through the left leg.

15:30 Did six laps of the upstairs ward concentrating on correct form rather than speed. At first I had the tendency to grip the crutches' handles like a knife. Walking in a relaxed major requires just a gentle guiding touch from the crutch for the opposite leg. I am getting the hang of this.

17:30 Did a further five laps of the upstairs corridor practising my technique with two crutches.

19:30 I am now in an upstairs from which can be accessed by lift or stairs. I decided to have a go at the stairs tonight. So I did two flights of ten stairs on the way down and then the same on the way back to my room. I was able to handle this without any problem.
 
Fantastic Mike...

Keep it coming :)

The swelling will go down, just takes time, rest, elevation and ice.. Constantly!

Hugs
 
Keep up the good work in your 5 star Motel :heehee:. I'm so glad everything is so great. Tashia
 
Hi Mike!!

Oh you are sounding good and moving on with gentle progression. I know you are in wonderful hands at your rehabilitation center becasue I have been studying this woman's blog very carefully, sharing as we do a similar background. She also was at Hunters and she also had your Dr.Sullivan! I love the smallness of the world; how we are one lovely connected breath!

May I suggest some prunes for gentle transit. OOOPS...sorry. Opposite problem. Banana three times a day.

Healing hugs
Elle
 
Thanks Elle,

All the good advice I have heard over and over make sense. Rest, elevation, ice. I am amazed how much of the healing process is rest. I know its early days for me but I didn't expect to sleep so much. I am just listening to my body but I am probably resting and sleeping at least 15 hours each day. Its hard to accept until you do it and you feel the benefits.

Thanks also for the yoga link - I will certainly check it out.

And just to keep the record straight the drugs are messing with my digestion again - so its back to prunes for me.

Cheers

Mike
 
Keep up the good work in your 5 star Motel :heehee:. I'm so glad everything is so great. Tashia

Thanks Tashia. I feel so spoiled. The staff are very attentive and committed to my success. Makes those years of paying for health insurance all worth it now.
 
Hi Mike, sounds like you are truckin along with this recovery. Please don't worry about sleeping so much. Your body needs that sleep to recover. At this stage that's all you should be doing - apart from a view walks to keep your mobility building.

I'm surprised you can get your TEDs on yourself. No way I could. Are you under any restrictions?
 
Hi Mike, sounds like you are truckin along with this recovery. Please don't worry about sleeping so much. Your body needs that sleep to recover. At this stage that's all you should be doing - apart from a view walks to keep your mobility building.

I'm surprised you can get your TEDs on yourself. No way I could. Are you under any restrictions?

Hi Jaycey

I am pleased with the way things are going and am happy to just listen to what my body needs each day. I don't know what I have said that made you think I was able to do my TEDs by myself. I can't - I am on the 90 degree rule restriction like any THR patient who has had a posterior procedure.

Thanks for stopping by,

Mike
 
CURRENT DATE: Monday 1st October
Procedure: LTHR
Post Op: 7 days
Location: Rehabilitation Hospital
Current Weight: 78kg / 172Ib
Target Weight: 70kg / 154bIb

CURRENT ISSUES:

Moderate swelling around incision
Muscle soreness in upper left thigh and left shin
Ache in upper left glute.

ACHIEVEMENTS TO DATE:
1. Got out of bed independently
2. Stood in place with walking frame
3. Walked 6 meters to bathroom
4. Used bathroom independently
5. Took shower seated with assistance
6. Dressed with assistance
7. Walked 30 meters with a walking frame
8. Walked 10 meters with 2 crutches
9. Walked up and down 1 step repeatedly
10. Showered standing independently
11. Dressed independently (except TED socks)
12. Walked 100 meters with 2 crutches
13. Walked up and down the 6 step mini-stairs
14. Walked down and up 2 flights of stairs (total 60 stairs)
15. Hip Flexion 62 degrees
16. Hip Abduction 28.5 degrees
17. Supporting my roomie and new friend David on his journey
18. Making people happy and positive

CURRENT PAIN MANAGEMENT:

Targin every 12 hours
10mg Endone every 3-4 hours upon request
Gabapentin every 12 hours
Panadol every 6 hours
Aspirin 150mg per day
Ice packs as required

TODAY'S FOOD PLAN:

Breakfast
Porridge, low fat milk, wholemeal toast (1), Becel margarine, tomato juice.
Lunch
Beef Lasagna, side salad, fresh fruit, orange juice, black tea.
Dinner
Vegetable soup, Penne ratatouille, fruit yoghurt, apple juice.


TODAY'S FOCUS:
1. Physiotherapy session at 11:00
2. Using the stairs and not the lift

NOTES:

04:39 A fairly broken night's rest with sleep interrupted by incision pain and the need for a fresh ice bag or a couple of Endone tablets. I am accepting that this will be the pattern for the next little while. Given that I don't have to go to work the next day, its okay.

06:14 It's another beautiful day in Sydney Australia. I have a room with a view filled with sunshine, trees, flowers and even the call of the birds in the morning. My lady continues to be so supportive every single day. I am such a fortunate man.

11:00 Did a variety of exercises at my PT session this morning included leg extensions, glute squeeze, hip abduction single leg, hip abduction double leg, partial squats and high and low stairs.

13:15 After discussions with the doctor over my pain levels and desire to exercise as much as possible, we agreed to introduce the opioid analgesic called Targin for long lasting pain relief to compliment Endone.

16:00 My lady took me for an afternoon walk in the sunshine. Strangely the outdoor garden furniture was unsuitable for patients with a 90 degree restriction. No matter it was lovely to get out and about.
 
Good morning Mike

My morning...

Walked down and up killer driveway 100 m @ 45 degrees, then 150 m at 20 degrees.

Now, breakfast overlooking the ocean of the south coast.... Crystal clear water, surf is up!

Gotta go, hot choc just arrived.

p.s. Just reread your post.... So no lunch or dinner is to help you get to your target weight ~ yes?
 
<Warning> The following post is a rant. Please don't feel like you need to respond to this rant. I just need to get it out of my system. <End Warning>

Why do patients at my rehabilitation hospital feel they have the right to comment on my rehab activities?

A patient in a nearby room observes me using the overhead pulley on the bed to get some upper body strength work done. She expresses her view to me that she doesn't think I should do that. When I asked why, she said "You I might hurt your hip and besides I am jealous."

The exercise in question is 100% arms and lats and the hips are not engaged. She also told the PT that I walked down the stairs. I don't comment on other people's efforts and I don't really appreciate when this happens to me. I am younger, stronger and fitter than everyone here. Its hard enough to feel like I fit in here without someone trying to drag you down to their level.
 
So no lunch or dinner is to help you get to your target weight ~ yes?

No not at all. I complete the meal section each day once the meal has been consumed. Starvation is not a weight loss method. Its quite dangerous as you will lose muscle tone, which is you best friend in your rehab sessions.
 
The tattle-tale gal is jealous Mike - as you say you're younger and more fit than other patients there - so she has to try to make you wrong - and tell PT you're doing something the tattle-tale can't do and doesn't think is on the treatment plan (but as she is not a PT or other kind of health provider what does she know?!?!)
- ignore her! If she makes negative remarks again - just smile and ask if she'd like you to show her how to do those exercises. LOL I'd bet she's also a whiner about doing exercises prescribed for her .... you will heal faster, and get back to doing fun things faster. Just do be careful not to strain that new hip - the last thing you and the TT need is for her to be proven right.
 
Mike,

Her remarks ar uncalled for and don't warrant a response. Keep on track and only concern yourself with things you have control of. You are doing brilliant!

Warmly,

dede62
 
Oh Mike, I hope you realised that I was jesting with you, perhaps not appropriately.. sorry mate!

I would totally ignore the comments, you have your plan, you are approaching your strategy with a risk based approach and being extremely sensible.. you are allowed to vent here.. bring it on buddy :) :)

Hugs!
 
She's jealous so you are not supposed to bring it to her attention that you are doing just great! If you read around this forum you will see many comments like your Mike. Unfortunately everyone suddenly becomes a medic when they know you have had surgery. Their way of "support" is to tell you their opinion versus what is reality. Just keep doing what you are doing Mike. Your rehab sounds absolutely fantastic! Good, healthy food and the space to explore your new mobility. Just perfect!
 
Oh Mike, I hope you realised that I was jesting with you, perhaps not appropriately.. sorry mate!

I would totally ignore the comments, you have your plan, you are approaching your strategy with a risk based approach and being extremely sensible.. you are allowed to vent here.. bring it on buddy :) :)

Hugs!

Oh Dear Poppet,

I wasn't sure if you were joking or had lost the plot, so I treated your comment with a straight bat. No worries.

Mike
 
Oh No! Not only have I lost the plot, but I have gone batty as well.... couldn't find a cricketer.... [Bonesmart.org] AussieMike returns

Hugs
 
Do you remember Hogan's Heroes? You know the German prisoner of war camp. Well my lady and I are planning an escape from my Stalag 13 for lunch at a local restaurant next Saturday. Besides making sure they have suitable seating and keeping the outing to about an 75 mins, any there any other considerations?
 
I certainly do remember Hogans Heroes..

Get your lovely lady to bring a cushion... Even at 7 weeks, I was known to carry my pillow every where, into Exec meetings!..... I told everyone it is my Charlie Brown pillow of comfort!

Dose up on pain meds before you go..not sure about alcohol..

Lunch & Dinner looked good :)

Hugs
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

  • Layla
    Staff member since November 20, 2017
  • EalingGran
    Staff member since January 23, 2024
  • Jockette
    Staff member since March 18, 2018

Members online

Back
Top Bottom