THR AussieMike returns

Status
Not open for further replies.
It was great to escape from my rehab hospital this afternoon. Speed was a bit of an issue...



[Bonesmart.org] AussieMike returns
 
I certainly do remember Hogans Heroes..

Get your lovely lady to bring a cushion... Even at 7 weeks, I was known to carry my pillow every where, into Exec meetings!..... I told everyone it is my Charlie Brown pillow of comfort!

Dose up on pain meds before you go..not sure about alcohol..

Lunch & Dinner looked good :)

Hugs

Thanks for your advice Poppet. We have been looking at wedge cushions ensuring that the 90 degree restriction is complied with. I am not considering adding alcohol to the cocktail of medications I am currently taking.
 
Good for you to go for a walk. Getting outside is good for you. Keep it up. Tashia
 
Yes, wedge cushions are great, I have one!

Oh, another thought, perhaps a plastic bag to put on the car seat, it helps sliding yourself in and turning. You can also get round swivel car seats that help you when you swing your legs into the car.

You know we keep a latex pillow in the car and even know at 10 months post, I have been known to take my pillow into a cafe.

I am thrilled for you Mike, that you are doing so well and I love reading the journal of your rehab :)

Nite nite... Have a good night :)
 
Oh Mike, I just saw your photo... Great to put a face to a name... You have such a wonderful sense of humor.... I love it!
 
Good for you to go for a walk. Getting outside is good for you. Keep it up. Tashia

Thanks Tashia. I think it really elevates your mood to be out of doors and take in some sunshine. Its springtime here in Sydney and the days have clear skies and warm sunshine. You have to love that.
 
Dear Bonesmart Universe,

I have been wearing slippers since my operation about a week ago - thanks to my son Ben. However now that I am becoming more mobile, I would love to wear joggers for outdoor walking, if possible. The challenge of course is that I am not able to bend to tie my shoes up and it is unreasonable to ask the nursing staff to do this.

Does anyone have any experience of the elastic shoe laces used by triathletes in competition? I have a long handled shoe horn to get me into my joggers if these laces would give me the ability just to slip them on and go.

Is this feasible?

Thanks for your advice

Mike

P.S. I am feeling so much stronger in the past 24 hours, it is ridiculous!!
 
Hi Mike, love it - the great escape! Fresh air is just what the doctor ordered!

I tried the elastic shoe laces. If you can get someone to help you get them tied so they feel just right they work just fine. Otherwise trainers with velcro fasteners work well. I wouldn't wear slippers outdoors. They don't tend to offer much support. In any case invest in new shoes once you are home. We always recommend new shoes since your old ones (pre-op) will be worn down to compensate for any limp you had.
 
Great advice Jaycey, as usual. My younger son Ben is a triathlete so I will talk to him about the elastic laces as I would think he knows how to tie them effectively. I bought new joggers in Miami FL whilst there on business only a few weeks back.
 
CURRENT DATE: Tuesday 2nd October
Procedure: LTHR
Post Op: 8 days
Location: Rehabilitation Hospital
Current Weight: 78kg / 172Ib
Target Weight: 70kg / 154bIb

CURRENT ISSUES:

Slight swelling around incision
Muscle soreness in left shin
Ache in upper left glute.

ACHIEVEMENTS TO DATE:
1. Got out of bed independently
2. Stood in place with walking frame
3. Walked 6 meters to bathroom
4. Used bathroom independently
5. Took shower seated with assistance
6. Dressed with assistance
7. Walked 30 meters with a walking frame
8. Walked 10 meters with 2 crutches
9. Walked up and down 1 step repeatedly
10. Showered standing independently
11. Dressed independently (except TED socks)
12. Walked 100 meters with 2 crutches
13. Walked up and down the 6 step mini-stairs
14. Walked down and up 2 flights of stairs (total 60 stairs)
15. Hip Flexion 62 degrees
16. Hip Abduction 28.5 degrees
17. Supporting my roomie and new friend David on his journey
18. Making people happy and positive
19. Walking with two walking sticks


CURRENT PAIN MANAGEMENT:

Targin every 12 hours
10mg Endone every 3-4 hours upon request
Gabapentin every 12 hours
Panadol every 6 hours
Aspirin 150mg per day
Ice packs as required

TODAY'S FOOD PLAN:

Breakfast
All Bran, skim milk, wholemeal toast (2), pineapple juice.
Lunch
Assorted sandwiches, fruit plate, apple juice.
Dinner
Roast beef and lite gravy, chunky chips with rosemary, peas, corn, orange juice, fruit and cheese plate with crackers (2), Black tea


TODAY'S FOCUS:
1. Physiotherapy sessions (2)
2. Use the stairs not the lift.
3. Building leg strength with wall slides (half squats)

NOTES:

00:12 Following two days of constipation and a variety of foods and tablets the situation has finally resolved. Now its a question of getting the mix right to counter the effects of the narcotic drugs I am being administered. An important milestone for weight loss.

11:15 Completed the morning physio session including leg extensions, leg abduction, hip flexor raise, quarter squats, high and low stairs, face down leg raise, walking stick training and stair test.

13:26 The short afternoon physio session revealed some specific muscle imbalances in the operated leg and a weakness in the calf muscle. This is hardly surprising as I have placed most of my weight on my non-operated leg for many years. It was quite painful and will take quite some time and dedication to build the required strength.

21:45 A bit of speed hump following the afternoon physio session. My hip and glute swelled significantly. I had 10mg Endone and escaped into a world of sleep to ease the pain. Since an early dinner I have been icing my thigh and glute. My body might have been saying 'too much too soon' and it will be interesting to see how it responds with a night's rest and repair.
 
Hi Poppet,

Well the regular PT staff were back after the long weekend and they put me through my paces. I can't understand how the hippies in the group don't use ice after their PT sessions. I don't think I would be much good for the afternoon session if I didn't ice my hip in the meantime. I just call it my Bonesmart Advantage™.

Cheers

Mike

P.S. I feel much more dangerous with twin walking sticks.
 
Terrific Mike... You have it all worked out!

Ice is nice!
 
I adored the icing after my pt sessions. They would put a nice big ice pack on my incision area and surrounding areas, and I'd bliss out for 15 minutes. It was almost as good as getting a massage. I didn't have much swelling, and I could probably have done without it, but it was the most relaxing time!

Glad to hear you're doing so well, Mike.

Sharon
 
Good Morning Mike, Sounds like your really making progress.. thats great news.. keep up the good work and its great that your supporting your room mate.. Have a great day.. and enjoy steppin'
 
I adored the icing after my pt sessions. They would put a nice big ice pack on my incision area and surrounding areas, and I'd bliss out for 15 minutes. It was almost as good as getting a massage. I didn't have much swelling, and I could probably have done without it, but it was the most relaxing time!

Glad to hear you're doing so well, Mike.

Sharon

Hi Sharon

Its always lovely when you stop by. Thank you. I am glad you didn't experience much swelling but still knew the benefits of ice.

I think of swelling as the body's way of saying 'Slow down mate, I am not ready for this intensity'. Whilst ice is my way of apologising to my body saying 'Sorry body, I misjudged your current capabilities. Here have some relief.'

I am pretty swollen tonight but didn't really think what I was doing should have been too hard. Ladies 20 years older than me were doing this without a problem. The lesson clearly is everyone is different, don't compare yourself.

Cheers

Mike
 
Good Morning Mike, Sounds like your really making progress.. thats great news.. keep up the good work and its great that your supporting your room mate.. Have a great day.. and enjoy steppin'

Hey BigOzzie9er,

Thanks for your encouragement. I am doing fine. Making a few mistakes along the way and learning how to do it better next time. I am missing my roomie David. Such a nice guy who had been through so much. He had a partial knee replacement done after 23 earlier operations. This operation appears to have done the trick!!

I really wanted to be there for him. He had been through so much. So I invited him and his lovely wife Cindy to a limited overs Cricket match at the Sydney Cricket Ground in December. They both love cricket and I enjoy sharing my membership with people who appreciate the game.

Thanks again for stopping by. I really appreciate it.

Mike
 
It sounds like you are doing wonderful Mike. I love how you are are posting all the details - it will really help people out in the future. This Friday will be 4 weeks for me. I will be meeting with my surgeon for my first post-surgery visit. I'm hoping I get the o.k. to drive and to sleep without a pillow between my legs. I had an occupational therapist come see me my first day home from the hospital and he put the eleastic shoe laces in my sneakers for me. I am now able to get my socks on (with a sock assist) and my sneakers on with the help of a long handled shoe horn and a grabber. I only put on my sneakers for outside walks and wear slippers pretty much the rest of the time. Keep up the good work!!
 
Hi Chris

I am a fortunate man, always have been and love to share that good fortune with others when I can. So it thrills me that you think my detailing posting will be of use for those who come after me. I thought carefully about it and concluded that I would have to do it from day one if it is going to be a useful account. Perhaps Josephine might consider taking the daily updates and making a separate thread from them when the journey is over.

Good luck with you surgery visit, I hope you get the results you are after. Like you I am not a natural back sleeper. I found a different solution from the pillow between the knees technique that works for me. I place a pillow on each side of my legs. Its like sleeping next to a person.

Interesting to hear that the elastic shoe laces have worked for you - I ordered my pair today.

With regard to driving, I realise that you are in the US and I am in Australia but over here our Roads and Traffic Authority have mandated no driving for six weeks following a knee or hip replacement. The effect of this mandate is that any driver who is involved in an accident during that six week period is not covered by their third party or comprehensive car insurance. Is that your situation as well?

Cheers

Mike
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

  • Layla
    Staff member since November 20, 2017
  • EalingGran
    Staff member since January 23, 2024
  • Jockette
    Staff member since March 18, 2018

Members online

Back
Top Bottom