THR AussieMike returns

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi Andrew,

I am a little embarrassed by the prize I won. But it was truly perfect for me! Its nice that you are up to 13 holes at this stage and hopefully by the time summer rolls around you can conquer the remaining 5 holes.

Whilst I understand your envy, I would love to play the links style of golf so prevalent in the north of England and Scotland. Its such a different challenge to the traditional Australian courses where the manicured fairways surrounded by dense trees are the norm.

Nice that your new driver has made a difference for you too. What brand did you get?

Cheers

Mike
 
Not too much in the way of genuine links courses in my neck of the woods in the SW of England - this is my home patch:
broken link removed: https://www.sidmouthgolfclub.co.uk/ (unlike Sidmouth, Tasmania the average temp at this time of year hovers around 5 or 6C with rain rather than 20+ and wall to wall sunshine)

Bring lots of Aussie dollars if you want to play the big name courses and book well in advance! St ANdrews will (remarkably) only set you back £70, Royal Lytham £169 and Royal Troon £180 but Gleneagles is over £200

New driver is a Taylor Made Burner Superfast 2.0 - very light and a 1" longer shaft than standard. Not 100% confident in it yet but the few I have really connected with went a long way (for me anyway - around 240 in the air)
 
Hi Andrew,

I like the look of your course as it is shown on the website. I don't mind golf in cold weather but not in the rain. Guess I will have to stick with the beautiful climate that Sydney has to offer. This morning has clear blue skies and a maximum temperature of 24C.

I am playing to return to Scotland in the next few years and am happy to pay the big dollars you mention for the links golf experience. Royal Troon or Gleneagles would be my preference.

I imagine that new driver will take some time to master. All part of the fun of the game I say.

Kind regards

Mike
 
Hi Mike,

not sure how to tag you in my post? I am booked for lthr on 23/1/12 with Dr Solomon to do th eanterior approach at the Mater Hospital. Just wanted to know how you are doing currently, you sound great when i read a few of your posts!? and also if you have any tips on Mater Hospital for me please?.

I have to book accomodation as i am coming from interstate, but i knwo you are a local so you probably are not aware of where i should stay, the hospital did provide me a few names so ill start calling..
 
Hi Stargirl,

You tagged me just fine. More than happy to share what I know.

First your surgeon. He has an excellent reputation and if I had not used Michael O'Sullivan he would have been my next choice. Second your choice of hospital - I used to think that St Vincents was the finest hospital in Sydney. Not any more.

The whole experience from the pre-op visit, through admission and the operation day and the rehab that followed. The staff, the culture, the food are all excellent. I encourage you to read my earlier blogs as I kept a daily journal to assist people who follow my path.

Can you explain why you need to book accommodation? Are you covered by private health insurance?

The Mater offers a 3 -5 day post operative rehab program which I hear is very good. I personally went to Hunters Hill Private Hospital for 2 weeks which I would recommend highly.

Stay in touch and feel free to ask me anything you need to know.

Kind regards


Mike
 
Hi AussieMike, thankyou for quick reply i cannot tell you how happy i was to hear that you have heard of the surgeon, i wish i could speak with one of the patients who had anterior but not possible due to privacy issues :( I am staying in the hospital through my helath insurnace but need my partner to stay somewhere and i dont think he is permitted in the hospital which saddens me because afetr being married for 15 years we are actually attatched at the hip :)

How is your mibility now, can you walk wihtout limp/pain?

Where have you heard about Dr Solomon just through your own research at the time? he does have a lovely demeanour.
 
Hi Stargirl,

Happy to help in whatever way I can.

Whilst I didn't have the anterior procedure, I did meet several people who did. The principal difference with this approach is the reduced restrictions which apply after your operation. Patients who have the lateral or posterior procedure have several restrictions to protect them from dislocation of the hip in the first 6 weeks after the operation. One of these restrictions is that the patient is not permitted to bend their operated leg more than 90 degrees in comparision to their torso. Usually this restriction is not made for anterior patients.

Many anterior patients find they have better mobility in the first two weeks when compared to patients who have had the other procedures. After that the rehab process is pretty much the same.

With regard to my knowledge of Dr Solomon, I have a son who works in allied health and deals with specialists on a day to day basis. He was able to get me reliable references which made me choose Dr O'Sullivan but as I said earlier, Dr Solomon is highly regarded.

So, how am I now? Well I am 10 weeks post op and doing extremely well. Limp? Good heavens no. Your limp will be gone from day one after the operation. Your pain is very different from what you are experiencing today. The joint pain is gone. But you have been cut both externally and internally to gain access to the joint. This is your new pain. Its a lot easier to deal with than your old pain and the pain management drugs are of great assistance. The fact that your leg is dislocated during surgery causes a certain amount of trauma to the muscles and tendons in your leg and lower back. Its very manageable and just take time and patience to rehab through. Lots of rest, ice packs and elevation of the leg will be of great assistance as well as the pain medication you receive.

You should focus on being consistent with your pain medication, i.e. take it on time even if you are not in pain; consistent with your walking and your rehab exercises and consistent with your rest (even if you can't sleep).

With regard to your husband's accommodation, can you share your plans a little. You will be in the Mater for 4-5 days. Do you plan to stay for the 3 day rehab program beyond that? What kind of accommodation would be best for him? Do you have a budget for this? If you can share this with me, I will try to find you something that might suit.

Best regards

Mike
 
Mike its so great that you are back to your life doing golf. Keep going and before you know it all will be a total distance memorie. Tashia
 
Thanks Tashia - you are a sweetie!!

A nice thing happened in the office today. Our receptionists said, "Hey Mike, you're walking with a spring in your step again."

Indeed I have noticed a subtle difference this week. All the muscles in my legs are sharing the load. No short muscles pulling as I walk; no long muscles getting tired as they carry the load for others. In short, my leg muscles now feel in balance. It feels awesome!!

For those who have not reached this milestone yet, let me tell you that you can tell when it happens as you have something you have not had for a long time - its called acceleration!!

Cheers

Mike
 
Love your last post Mike! That's what it's all about - getting back to feeling good about life! Well done!
 
Mike that is so great. I do know what you mean I was able to get on the floor the other day and do my floor exercise. I hadn't been able to get to the floor for almost two years. :yay: I also found myself walking faster than I ever have. :yes!: Even normal. Wow. We all are going to make it. tashia
 
Mike, your last post says it all....a spring in your step!!! Wonderful! I do so appreciate that you pop in here to pass on your experiences. Your posts are very helpful to those who are following you in surgery. Hope you can continue to report on your life after surgery!
 
Hi Jamie,

I do miss Bonesmart as my life resumes its normal busy patterns. Its always nice when someone's post pops up in my email inbox and I dash off a quick response. Rest assured I will keep you in touch with the big ticket events to round off the story of my recovery. Perhaps a picture of my golf scorecard from my first full round of golf where I walk the entire course would be good....

Cheers

Mike
 
Now that's a GREAT idea. Also, we'll need a photo of you when you get that hole-in-one!!! I'm sure your new hip has done wonders for your golf game!!
 
Mike, I miss seeing you around here all the time. It means everything is good though...as it should be. Quick question....I know I remember correctly that you put together an excellent list of questions to ask the doc in PRE-op. But did you also put together a list for the post-op check-up as well? I started to look through the thread to see if I could find it, but there are just too many pages. Especially if I'm wrong. Anyway, if you did, could you point me to it? I'm trying to find it for someone else. And if you didn't.....darn.

Sharon
 
Okay so this is the post that no-one wants to write - I had a fall.

It was 3am this morning and I woke up thirsty. I got up outta bed and headed down the stairs to the kitchen in my two story apartment. I didn't bother turning on the light. The staircase has 17 steps and the stairs are covered in ceramic tiles. I reached the third last step where the staircase takes a 90 degree turn to the left. I had forgotten I had put my gym bag there for the next day. I stepped on the gym bag, it slid out from beneath me and down I went.

I landed on my bottom with the non-operated leg double up and the operated leg out in front - fortunately. It was a bit of a shock but I was fine. Now today I am a little sore, a little tight in the lower back and tender on the incision. But that is it. Gee these new hips are good.
 
Mike, I miss seeing you around here all the time. It means everything is good though...as it should be. Quick question....I know I remember correctly that you put together an excellent list of questions to ask the doc in PRE-op. But did you also put together a list for the post-op check-up as well? I started to look through the thread to see if I could find it, but there are just too many pages. Especially if I'm wrong. Anyway, if you did, could you point me to it? I'm trying to find it for someone else. And if you didn't.....darn.

Sharon


Hi Sharon

Lovely to see your face pop up in my posts. I hope you are well. I have no idea why you couldn't find the post you needed... it was on page 24. Fortunately I knew the date and could find it quickly. Here you go....

1. RESTRICTIONS
Do I have to follow the 90 degree rule any longer?
Do I have to wear TED socks any longer?
Am I now allowed to drive a motor vehicle?
2. PAIN MEDICATION
What pain medication should I use from this point onwards?
When should I cease taking medication altogether?
3.EXERCISE AND SPORT
Am I allowed to jog now if it is pain free?
When can I return to the gym?
What exercises or equipment should I avoid at the gym?
When can I play golf again?
Do you think I would benefit from further PT?
4. LIFESTYLE
Given my pain medication when can I drink alcohol again?
Do you have any recommendations on long haul air travel?
5. REHABILITATION
Is there anything I should add to my daily or weekly routine that would benefit?
 
I knew it! Thanks...your turn to be an angel. :)

I'm so glad the fall was scary and nothing more. You're right, we all dread the possibility. It's hard to believe our new hips are so tough. But please....do be careful from now on!

I've got your list copied onto a file now, so I can access it readily. You will be famous on Bonesmart for years to come.

Sharon
 
Hi Mike AussieMike

Just catching up... Yes, we all dread that first fall, over stretch, trip etc.. but you are so right, these hips are magic!

Are you icing the sore spots.. Not a bad idea to do that whenever you can .

Hugs xx
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom