THR AussieMike returns

Status
Not open for further replies.
Wise advice Mike :)

At least six weeks, more if one can :)

Yes, here starts Tuesday - have a good one my friend. The energy drain and levels do improve :)

G'day Poppet,

I hope you have a good one too. Do you have a tip for the Melbourne Cup? I do - don't bet on the horses.

Hugs

Mike
 
Wow, Mike----I don't know what kind of work you do, but I'm a retired psych nurse and there is no way I could work a 12 hour shift this soon. Now playing...that's different.
I hope you do get to have a short day.
 
Hiya Mike, good to see you are doing okay.....albeit, with a few little blips along the way but hey, that makes this recovery business a bit more interesting right? :whistle:

Oh, The Good Life, weren't Tom and Barbara just fab and Margo a right hoot. We still watch re-runs whenever they are in, never tire of it. You're so right about those goats tho', imagine Sandy and SO working so hard to cultivate their crops only for the goat to demolish it in one foul swoop.lol. Not good!

Hoping you manage to get off early what with the horse race.

Take care

Ann
 
Wow, Mike----I don't know what kind of work you do, but I'm a retired psych nurse and there is no way I could work a 12 hour shift this soon. Now playing...that's different.
I hope you do get to have a short day.

Hi Sissy,

My work is not physical. I am what is known as a Chief Information Officer. Its a senior management role with 35 staff. So the day involves lots of meetings with staff and consultants, planning and reviewing projects and making decisions on effective resource use. Unfortunately this time of the year is particularly busy for me with large projects reaching critical stages.

Cheers

Mike
 
G'day Poppet,

I hope you have a good one too. Do you have a tip for the Melbourne Cup? I do - don't bet on the horses.

Hugs

Mike
Yes, love your Mother, love your Mother and save your money..... Hehehehe
 
AussieMike, Maybe you can take a nap during the race. You are so very good, Keep it up. Staying Positive goes far. Tashia
 
Hey Tashia

The race is over. Whilst it is 2 miles that is not long enough for a decent nap I am aftraid. Some horse called Green Moon won. Life goes on...

Mike
 
As I predicted, I had a shorter day today. About 7 hours. The office stopped to watch Australia's biggest horse race the Melbourne Cup. I left shortly afterwards. I had achieved all that I could and I couldn't get any sense out of key people who had been drinking champagne. So I left and went shopping on my way home.

So tomorrow is my big day. My appointment to see my OS is at 4pm Australian Eastern Summer Time which is about 5am for all you Londoners. Hopefully I get a clean bill of health, no restrictions going forward and I can start to add some activities into my life that I enjoy.
 
Good for you Mike, we were only allowed to watch the race on our desktops! In previous years it was champagne, chicken and strawberries and a very long lunch... Not now! How times have changed.

Good luck for tomorrow, I am sure restrictions, TEDs will be lifted and you will be able to add more activities :)

Good night buddy, sleep well..

Hugs
 
Well if makes you feel a tiny bit better Poppet ...

Gone was the chicken lunch with all the trimmings, the two hour lead up and the dressing up. Somehow the champagne and the strawberries survived and seemed very odd.

Thanks for your kind wishes - death to TED I say, death!!

Cheers mate

Mike
 
​
​
​
​
​
There once were some socks called TED,​

​
Who were my close friends whilst in bed,​

​
But now that I'm up and about,​

​
Its time to be throwing them out,​

​
Those fashionless socks they call TED​

​
​
​
​
[Bonesmart.org] AussieMike returns
 

Attachments

  • [Bonesmart.org] AussieMike returns
    IMG_0270.JPG
    10.6 KB · Views: 146
CURRENT DATE: Wednesday 7th November 2012
Procedure: LTHR - 24th September 2012
Post Op: 6 weeks
Location: My apartment
Entry Weight: 78kg / 172lb
Current Weight: 74.5kg / 164Ib
Target Weight: 70kg / 154bIb

CURRENT ISSUES:
Muscle imbalances in left leg
Glute pain
Energy levels

OPERATING HOSPITAL ACHIEVEMENTS (5 days):
1. Got out of bed independently
2. Stood in place with walking frame
3. Walked 6 meters to bathroom
4. Used bathroom independently
5. Took shower seated with assistance
6. Dressed with assistance
7. Walked 30 meters with a walking frame
8. Walked 10 meters with 2 crutches
9. Walked up and down 1 step repeatedly
10. Showered standing independently
11. Dressed independently (except TED socks)
12. Walked 100 meters with 2 crutches
13. Walked up and down the 6 step mini-stairs
14. Supporting my roomie and new friend David on his journey

REHABILITATION HOSPITAL ACHIEVEMENTS (14 days):
15. Walked down and up 2 flights of stairs (total 60 stairs)
16. Hip Flexion 90 degrees
17. Hip Abduction 30 degrees
18. Making people happy and positive
19. Walking with two walking sticks
20. Walking with one walking stick
21. Commenced hydrotherapy program
22. 30 seconds of continuous kicking against the Hydrojets
23. 60 second Plank
24. Breaststroke / Backstroke in the pool
25. Slept through the night without pain relief
26. Walking leg over leg down stairs
27. Walking leg over leg up stairs
28. 6 x 60 secs Planks with 30 secs rest between reps
29. Walking leg over leg up 10 flights of stairs
30. Lost 2.5kg / 5.5lb in body weight in rehab - none of it muscle

POST HOSPITAL ACHIEVEMENTS:
31. Completed 800 meters / 875 yards footpath (pavement) walk in 7.5 mins
32. Completed 800 meters / 875 yards footpath (pavement) walk in 6 mins
33. Completed 910 meters / 995 yard walk around local park.
34. Completed 1,350 meters /1,476 yard walk around local park.
35. Lost a total of 3.5kg / 7.7lb in bodyweight since my THR.
36. Completed 2.34 km / 1.45 mile walk around local park.
37. Returned to work for an 7 hour day.
38. Returned to work for an 8 hour day.
39. One hour walking business meeting (4km approx).
40. Walking upstairs - pain free and with stability

CURRENT PAIN MANAGEMENT:
5mg Targin every evening at bedtime
5 mg Endone as required during the day (max 2 per day)
2 Panadol if required.
Aspirin 150mg per day

TODAY'S FOOD PLAN:
Breakfast
Bircher Muesli, Mandarin Juice, Black tea
Lunch

Dinner


TODAY'S FOCUS:
1. Lunchtime walk
2. OS Appointment
3. Evening walk

NOTES:

02.56 It a very warm spring night here in Sydney Australia. Whilst I am feeling tired I can't get any quality sleep. No, I am not in any pain. In fact I feel good. I just can't sleep.

04.31 Don't you hate it when you can't sleep. I did enjoy watching Roger Federer's opening match against Yanko Tipsarevic in the Barclays ATP World Tour Finals in the O2 Arena in London. The FedExpress won 6-3 6-1.
 
I have a question for all the medically qualified Angels on Bonesmart. I am thinking about changing my medication regime. Currently I am taking 5mg Targin in the evening before bed and 5mg Endone during the day as I need it (usually just one.)
I am thinking that I could probably be fine on 2 Panadol tablets taken 3 or 4 times per day. Do you think this is a positive thing to do? Is this better for me than the current medications?
 
Good morning Mike

Speak to your OS today. However, your pain levels will dictate when you can come off the stronger drugs. I was off them around 9 days after coming home, in fact it coincided with having my staples out. The max dose for paracetamol is 4000mg in 24 hours.

Did you see the article on ABC last night about codeine and NSAIDs?

Have a good day

Hugs
 
​
​
​
​
​
There once were some socks called TED,​

​
Who were my close friends whilst in bed,​

​
But now that I'm up and about,​

​
Its time to be throwing them out,​

​
Those fashionless socks they call TED​

​
​
​
​
[Bonesmart.org] AussieMike returns


Love it ! :)
 
My appointment with my OS was at 4 o'clock this afternoon. I arrived about 30 minutes early and went to the cafe for a cup of tea. I had just found a seat, when in walked another patient of Dr O'Sullivan's with her husband.

Prue and I had our operations on the same day and then spent a week in a rehab hospital together. She left after one week while I stayed for a second week. I noticed that Prue was walking with a cane and seemed to be stuggling. I walked over and said hi. She explained that things had been going backwards for her for the past three weeks and that she had seen Dr O'Sullivan last week as well. It was a timely reminder that everybody's journey is different. I wished her well.
 
So I saw my surgeon this afternoon and he was very pleased with my progress over the past six weeks. Here were his answers to my questions:

1. RESTRICTIONS
Do I have to follow the 90 degree rule any longer? No that is not necessary.
Do I have to wear TED socks any longer? No, no longer required.
Am I now allowed to drive a motor vehicle? Yes
2. PAIN MEDICATION
What pain medication should I use from this point onwards? You could try using Panadol several times a day and see if that enables you to remain pain free. If not revert to Targin and Endone then try again in another couple of weeks.
When should I cease taking medication altogether? We you are experiencing no pain.
3.EXERCISE AND SPORT
Am I allowed to jog now if it is pain free? Walking would be more appropriate at this stage. Take things slowly.
When can I return to the gym? You can return to the gym now.
What exercises or equipment should I avoid at the gym? Equipment for the upper body is fine. Stationery bikes and elliptical machines and even rowing machines are great. Avoid resistance training on your legs at this stage.
When can I play golf again? Chipping and putting immediately. Swinging a club in two more weeks.
Do you think I would benefit from further PT? Not required.
4. LIFESTYLE
Given my pain medication when can I drink alcohol again? If you are only using Panadol you can have a glass of wine or two.
Do you have any recommendations on long haul air travel? No problems but wear TED socks to be safe.
5. REHABILITATION
Is there anything I should add to my daily or weekly routine that would benefit? Keep doing what you doing and you will be fine. I would like to see you in September 2013 - twelve months post op.
 
THANK YOU SO MUCH - THANK YOU SO MUCH - THANK YOU SO MUCH - THANK YOU SO MUCH​

So ends the first and most difficult phase of my rehabilitation - the first six weeks.

It has been an interesting journey and I have been very lucky that most things have gone to plan. I would not be where I am today without the support of many family members, friends and work colleagues.

My journey has been much easier through the advise of the Angels from Bonesmart. To Jo and her amazing team of angels I extend my sincere thanks for your support and advice. It has been so valuable for me. I hope that the journal I have kept during the past six weeks has helped to support and inform those who have visited the Bonesmart website in search for information about Total Hip Replacement experience during my time here.

Due to the demands of my career, I will be visiting Bonesmart less often from this point on. I do hope to provide news on my continued recovery each week or so.

To all of you who have corresponded with me sharing your experiences, knowledge, opinions and caring I am truly humbled and grateful. Thank you so much.

Mike
 
Fantastic Mike... Great news from your surgeon.. Now you have that cruise to look forward to..

Don't be a stranger for too long, all of us BoneSmart angels have grown to enjoy having you around.

Hugs

broken link removed: https://www.funscrape.com/Comments/Hug_Week.html
 
Oh Poppet

You have been my rock. I have no words to thank you. So many times you have made the difference when times were a bit difficult. I have but one regret of all my time on Bonesmart - I so wish there was something we could do to take away your pain.

You know I will always be here if you post to me.

Hugs

Mike
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

  • Layla
    Staff member since November 20, 2017
  • EalingGran
    Staff member since January 23, 2024
  • Jockette
    Staff member since March 18, 2018

Members online

Back
Top Bottom