THR AussieMike returns

Status
Not open for further replies.
Keep growing my good friend... I know you will with such a positive attitude :)
 
Hi Mike, Friday evening... I have been keeping watch and haven't seen a post from you for a couple of days, so was concerned... How are you going buddy?

Hugs

Hi Poppet

Thanks for keeping watch as you angels do.

Its been a difficult couple of days for me. But I am the first to say that recovery is not a linear process. We can't expect constant progress and I don't. The demands of work and the energy drain make my life (and yours) a balancing act right now.

I have been trying to reduce my reliance on pain medication in the lead up to my 6 weeks appointment with the OS next Wednesday. I found that I am not ready to do that. Curiously I look at the packet of pills and how many are left and think I have to be ready to go off these when this packet is finished. Even though I know you can get another script from my GP or specialist, its a mind game.

I must say I am pleased with my office productivity but there is not much left at the end of the day. Anyway the weekend is here, we can rest and recover before heading back into the fray next Monday.

Hugs

Mike
 
CURRENT DATE: Saturday 3rd November 2012
Procedure: LTHR - 24th September 2012
Post Op: 5 weeks and 3 days
Location: My apartment
Entry Weight: 78kg / 172lb
Current Weight: 74.5kg / 164Ib
Target Weight: 70kg / 154bIb

CURRENT ISSUES:
Muscle imbalances in left leg
Glute pain

OPERATING HOSPITAL ACHIEVEMENTS (5 days):
1. Got out of bed independently
2. Stood in place with walking frame
3. Walked 6 meters to bathroom
4. Used bathroom independently
5. Took shower seated with assistance
6. Dressed with assistance
7. Walked 30 meters with a walking frame
8. Walked 10 meters with 2 crutches
9. Walked up and down 1 step repeatedly
10. Showered standing independently
11. Dressed independently (except TED socks)
12. Walked 100 meters with 2 crutches
13. Walked up and down the 6 step mini-stairs
14. Supporting my roomie and new friend David on his journey

REHABILITATION HOSPITAL ACHIEVEMENTS (14 days):
15. Walked down and up 2 flights of stairs (total 60 stairs)
16. Hip Flexion 90 degrees
17. Hip Abduction 30 degrees
18. Making people happy and positive
19. Walking with two walking sticks
20. Walking with one walking stick
21. Commenced hydrotherapy program
22. 30 seconds of continuous kicking against the Hydrojets
23. 60 second Plank
24. Breaststroke / Backstroke in the pool
25. Slept through the night without pain relief
26. Walking leg over leg down stairs
27. Walking leg over leg up stairs
28. 6 x 60 secs Planks with 30 secs rest between reps
29. Walking leg over leg up 10 flights of stairs
30. Lost 2.5kg / 5.5lb in body weight in rehab - none of it muscle

POST HOSPITAL ACHIEVEMENTS:
31. Completed 800 meters / 875 yards footpath (pavement) walk in 7.5 mins
32. Completed 800 meters / 875 yards footpath (pavement) walk in 6 mins
33. Completed 910 meters / 995 yard walk around local park.
34. Completed 1,350 meters /1,476 yard walk around local park.
35. Lost a total of 3.5kg / 7.7lb in bodyweight since my THR.
36. Completed 2.34 km / 1.45 mile walk around local park.
37. Returned to work for an 7 hour day.
38. Returned to work for an 8 hour day.
39. One hour walking business meeting (4km approx).
40. Walking upstairs - pain free and with stability

CURRENT PAIN MANAGEMENT:
5mg Targin every evening at bedtime
5 mg Endone as required during the day (max 2 per day)
2 Panadol if required.
Aspirin 150mg per day

TODAY'S FOOD PLAN:
Breakfast
Spaghetti on wholemeal toast, black tea.
Lunch
Ham, cheese and tomato sandwich, black tea
Dinner
Duck Terrine
Rack of Lamb, green beans, asparagus, snowpeas, potatoes
Crepe Suzzette
Soda and lime x 2

TODAY'S FOCUS:
1. Rest
2. 15 mins exercise bike
3. Evening walk

NOTES:

12:24 A restful start to the day. Pottering around doing the things that need doing.

13.47 My get up and go, got up and went
 
Ah Mike. When your get up and go has gone without you, it's a good time to stay home and regroup.

Also, your pain meds are hardly excessive. Don't shortchange yourself by cutting back on some artificial deadline. It's good that you recognize that it's a mind game. You've been through MAJOR surgery. You've increased your activity level significantly. You've returned to work. You've had a bout of the flu. Your body needs all the help you can give it....and that means rest and control pain. And that means during the week as well as the weekend. You're right....it's quite a balancing act. I don't want to hear that you have a relapse of your flu thing because you're worn out!

Sharon
 
Hi Sharon,

I totally agree with you about the need for rest and regrouping. I know the pain meds I am using are in quite small doses and that I should not hesitate to use them. I suppose the mind game is that I search for signs of improvement every day and a reduction in the need for pain medication would be such a sign. Of course it is major surgery and I have had major surgery before and do understand it takes time.

BTW my little drama on Tuesday wasn't the flu, just a 24 hour tummy bug fortunately. But I hear you Sharon, I am resting at every opportunity. I am in bed by 9pm every weeknight until 7.30am even if I wake up earlier than that. Thanks for your concern.

Mike
 
Hi Mike

So pleased it was just a 24 hour bug.. Gone!

Isn't it great that the weekend is here for us and allows us to rest and relax... certainly time to recharge the battery for work next week. I know that you and I are in the same situation, with deadlines and priorities and staff to manage.. Such a juggling act some days, but we are survivors and positive people so we will get through..

Regards the pain meds, we are all so different ( and that is what makes us wonderful individuals). I was off all strong meds by the time I had my staples out, a week after coming home and from then on it was just paracetamol. But I was taking 2 x 500mg four times a day which is the max dosage over the 24 hour period. By the time I went back to work at 7 weeks, I was taking them prn (as needed). So as far as pain meds for my hip, I was pretty lucky..

You are doing fantastic Mike and I think probably it is the energy drain that is the hardest to get through when we are working :)

Hugs
 
Good morning Mike

How was your night, did you get some sleep?

Did you have a pleasant dinner out?

One of the very nicest things about life is the way we must regularly stop whatever it is we are doing and devote our attention to eating. ~'Luciano Pavarotti and William Wright, Pavarotti, My Own Story'

SO and I love good food... My dream retirement is to move to our coast house, become as self sufficient as possible, by growing my own veggies, fruit and nut trees, chickens (SO) wants a goat??, not sure about that.. wander down to the local fishing booat co op when I spot the boat coming back in from fishing and select some good locally catches fresh fish...dinner, a glass of wine, good music, a little pannacotta, some home made cheese (SO has dome a course in cheese making, and has all the gear and makes a very nice ricotta and hard cheese) and crackers and a small delicate glass of port....

Dream on Poppet!

Hugs my good friend :)
 
Hi Mike
Hope your having a good rest. I am finding i need to have little sit down in the day. Think as you do more and your body has to work harder it saps your energy. I am good as saying it but know i always have to run instead of walking.
Take care :kittykiss:
 
Hi Poppet,

We had a lovely night. For an Italian restaurant it was a rather confused menu - I had two French classics in Rack of Lamb and Crepe Suzette. But the food was lovely and we enjoyed the change of routine.

Your retirement sounds like an episode out of the BBC Series The Good Life!! My sister lives on a property outside of Wyong on the Central Coast and she has goats - three I think. Silly creatures who are no trouble as long as you don't mind what part of your vegetable patch they eat!!

Your SO sounds very handy indeed. What can I say - 294 days?

Hugs

Mike
 
CURRENT DATE: Monday 5th November 2012
Procedure: LTHR - 24th September 2012
Post Op: 5 weeks and 5 days
Location: My apartment
Entry Weight: 78kg / 172lb
Current Weight: 74.5kg / 164Ib
Target Weight: 70kg / 154bIb

CURRENT ISSUES:
Muscle imbalances in left leg
Glute pain
Energy levels

OPERATING HOSPITAL ACHIEVEMENTS (5 days):
1. Got out of bed independently
2. Stood in place with walking frame
3. Walked 6 meters to bathroom
4. Used bathroom independently
5. Took shower seated with assistance
6. Dressed with assistance
7. Walked 30 meters with a walking frame
8. Walked 10 meters with 2 crutches
9. Walked up and down 1 step repeatedly
10. Showered standing independently
11. Dressed independently (except TED socks)
12. Walked 100 meters with 2 crutches
13. Walked up and down the 6 step mini-stairs
14. Supporting my roomie and new friend David on his journey

REHABILITATION HOSPITAL ACHIEVEMENTS (14 days):
15. Walked down and up 2 flights of stairs (total 60 stairs)
16. Hip Flexion 90 degrees
17. Hip Abduction 30 degrees
18. Making people happy and positive
19. Walking with two walking sticks
20. Walking with one walking stick
21. Commenced hydrotherapy program
22. 30 seconds of continuous kicking against the Hydrojets
23. 60 second Plank
24. Breaststroke / Backstroke in the pool
25. Slept through the night without pain relief
26. Walking leg over leg down stairs
27. Walking leg over leg up stairs
28. 6 x 60 secs Planks with 30 secs rest between reps
29. Walking leg over leg up 10 flights of stairs
30. Lost 2.5kg / 5.5lb in body weight in rehab - none of it muscle

POST HOSPITAL ACHIEVEMENTS:
31. Completed 800 meters / 875 yards footpath (pavement) walk in 7.5 mins
32. Completed 800 meters / 875 yards footpath (pavement) walk in 6 mins
33. Completed 910 meters / 995 yard walk around local park.
34. Completed 1,350 meters /1,476 yard walk around local park.
35. Lost a total of 3.5kg / 7.7lb in bodyweight since my THR.
36. Completed 2.34 km / 1.45 mile walk around local park.
37. Returned to work for an 7 hour day.
38. Returned to work for an 8 hour day.
39. One hour walking business meeting (4km approx).
40. Walking upstairs - pain free and with stability

CURRENT PAIN MANAGEMENT:
5mg Targin every evening at bedtime
5 mg Endone as required during the day (max 2 per day)
2 Panadol if required.
Aspirin 150mg per day

TODAY'S FOOD PLAN:
Breakfast
Weetbix, boiled eggs (2), black tea.
Lunch
Chicken, tomato, cheese, rocket, turkish bread, green tea.
Dinner
Red Salmon, salad, black tea.

TODAY'S FOCUS:
1. 15 mins exercise bike
2. Lunchtime walk
3. Evening walk

NOTES:

05.00 I woke at 4.40am feeling well rested. You might think I just made a typo, I didn't. This is an exciting improvement. You see 5.00am used to be my normal waking time for the day. The four hours between waking an the official start to my working day has always been the secret behind my level of achievement.

In the months before surgery and in the time since I have not used an alarm to wake up. I knew my body needed rest. Rest was more important than anything I could achieve by forcing myself out of bed at a particular time. Today is different. I still didn't use an alarm. I woke naturally in a darkened bedroom feeling ready to go with the day. I don't know if it will happen again tomorrow. Maybe it won't as nothing in recovery is the same two days in a row. But things generally are headed in the right direction. Let's call it a breakthrough and hope it happens again real soon. On with the day.

14.37 The day proceeds well with three meetings still to go. The energy levels are dropping. I doubt that I will be going to the supermarket at the end of this day.

20.45 Its been an interesting day. Usually when my energy levels fall I have to rest to be able to continue. However today I got what can best be described as a second wind. After the early start I was feeling flat by 9.30am but find again by 11am. Flat again at 2.30pm and fine again at 4.30pm. I suppose this is all progress but it makes it hard to plan your day when you are at work.
 
ADVICE PLEASE ADVICE PLEASE ADVICE PLEASE ADVICE PLEASE ADVICE PLEASE ADVICE PLEASE ADVICE PLEASE ​
​
On Wednesday Nov 7th I will see my operating surgeon for the 6 week Post Op appointment. I would like to develop a series of questions to ask him. Perhaps we can develop a set of standard questions that people can use in the future. Below are the questions come to my mind. Please suggest more...​
​
1. RESTRICTIONS​
​
Do I have to follow the 90 degree rule any longer?​
Do I have to wear TED socks any longer?​
Am I now allowed to drive a motor vehicle?​
​
2. PAIN MEDICATION​
​
What pain medication should I use from this point onwards?​
When should I cease taking medication altogether?​
​
3.EXERCISE AND SPORT​
​
Am I allowed to jog now if it is pain free?​
When can I return to the gym?​
What exercises or equipment should I avoid at the gym?​
When can I play golf again?​
Do you think I would benefit from further PT?​
​
4. LIFESTYLE​
​
Given my pain medication when can I drink alcohol again?​
Do you have any recommendations on long haul air travel?​
​
5. REHABILITATION​
​
Is there anything I should add to my daily or weekly routine that would benefit?​
​
​
 
I had similar and then these as I've not seen much info at all for bilateral hips they all start with either operated or non operated leg.
When can I kneel
Get up an down off the floor
Sit in a bath
Walk on uneven substrates such as sand, shingle, scree slopes,
Walk on icy or slippery surfaces.
Carry a heavy load rucksack
Cycle outside flat and trail/ mountain bike
Sports that flexibility in the hips, kayaking, surfing, rowing.
 
Thanks Puddle Fish. I will consolidate with everyone's contributions at the end of the process.
 
Good set of questions - can't see anything to add. Most of them will be up to you though, like these
Am I now allowed to drive a motor vehicle?​
What pain medication should I use from this point onwards?​
When should I cease taking medication altogether?
When can I kneel
Get up an down off the floor
Walk on uneven substrates such as sand, shingle, scree slopes,
Walk on icy or slippery surfaces.
 
Another of my ramblings that might be helpful to those who are trying to decide when to go back to work...

If you have read much of my thread you will know that I am a planner. I plan almost everything. Certainly everything in my rehab has been planned including when I would return to work. Before the operation, I had two plans - one to return to work in three weeks (now that was dumb) and another to return to work in four weeks which I did.

But if I wanted to minimize the time until complete recovery, I would still be off work. Work certainly slows down the speed of your recovery. This of course makes sense. Less time to do your exercises; less time to rest; ice and elevation in the office just doesn't happen.

So what am I saying here - Well if you want to physically recover as quickly as you can, then delay your return your work for as long as you possibly can...
 
Wise advice Mike :)

At least six weeks, more if one can :)

Yes, here starts Tuesday - have a good one my friend. The energy drain and levels do improve :)
 
CURRENT DATE: Tuesday 6th November 2012
Procedure: LTHR - 24th September 2012
Post Op: 5 weeks and 6 days
Location: My apartment
Entry Weight: 78kg / 172lb
Current Weight: 74.5kg / 164Ib
Target Weight: 70kg / 154bIb

CURRENT ISSUES:
Muscle imbalances in left leg
Glute pain
Energy levels

OPERATING HOSPITAL ACHIEVEMENTS (5 days):
1. Got out of bed independently
2. Stood in place with walking frame
3. Walked 6 meters to bathroom
4. Used bathroom independently
5. Took shower seated with assistance
6. Dressed with assistance
7. Walked 30 meters with a walking frame
8. Walked 10 meters with 2 crutches
9. Walked up and down 1 step repeatedly
10. Showered standing independently
11. Dressed independently (except TED socks)
12. Walked 100 meters with 2 crutches
13. Walked up and down the 6 step mini-stairs
14. Supporting my roomie and new friend David on his journey

REHABILITATION HOSPITAL ACHIEVEMENTS (14 days):
15. Walked down and up 2 flights of stairs (total 60 stairs)
16. Hip Flexion 90 degrees
17. Hip Abduction 30 degrees
18. Making people happy and positive
19. Walking with two walking sticks
20. Walking with one walking stick
21. Commenced hydrotherapy program
22. 30 seconds of continuous kicking against the Hydrojets
23. 60 second Plank
24. Breaststroke / Backstroke in the pool
25. Slept through the night without pain relief
26. Walking leg over leg down stairs
27. Walking leg over leg up stairs
28. 6 x 60 secs Planks with 30 secs rest between reps
29. Walking leg over leg up 10 flights of stairs
30. Lost 2.5kg / 5.5lb in body weight in rehab - none of it muscle

POST HOSPITAL ACHIEVEMENTS:
31. Completed 800 meters / 875 yards footpath (pavement) walk in 7.5 mins
32. Completed 800 meters / 875 yards footpath (pavement) walk in 6 mins
33. Completed 910 meters / 995 yard walk around local park.
34. Completed 1,350 meters /1,476 yard walk around local park.
35. Lost a total of 3.5kg / 7.7lb in bodyweight since my THR.
36. Completed 2.34 km / 1.45 mile walk around local park.
37. Returned to work for an 7 hour day.
38. Returned to work for an 8 hour day.
39. One hour walking business meeting (4km approx).
40. Walking upstairs - pain free and with stability

CURRENT PAIN MANAGEMENT:
5mg Targin every evening at bedtime
5 mg Endone as required during the day (max 2 per day)
2 Panadol if required.
Aspirin 150mg per day

TODAY'S FOOD PLAN:
Breakfast

Lunch

Dinner


TODAY'S FOCUS:
1. Lunchtime walk
2. Evening walk

NOTES:

06.45 Slowly waking up today. Energy levels are low. I am paying the price for a 12 hour work day yesterday. Fortunately today will be a little less busy. Being the first Tuesday in November, Australia's most important horse race, the Melbourne Cup is run this afternoon. The whole nation stops to watch. Not really my thing but it means that business just does not happen from about lunchtime onwards. Maybe I can do a short day.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

  • Layla
    Staff member since November 20, 2017
  • EalingGran
    Staff member since January 23, 2024
  • Jockette
    Staff member since March 18, 2018

Members online

Back
Top Bottom