Guest viewing is limited

THR AussieMike returns

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks Poppet

I have dozed most of the day. I have come to the same conclusion. It was too soon to stop this pain medication.
 
Oh that Is good Mike, sleep is such a good healer, and your body will let you know when it is time to come off the pain meds. Then I would suggest that you taper off... :)
 
Hi Mike - when you start forgetting to take doses that's you body's way of telling you it's time to taper off. For now it sounds like eliminating pain relief is not going to keep you mobile. Two steps forward, one step back - welcome to recovery my friend. Take it easy and have a great weekend!
 
Yes I agree Jaycey and I had not exactly forgotten doses but stretched the time it was due and thought I could do without it. I was wrong. I have taken another Endone tablet and finally feel somewhat normal again. Live and learn. I have to get this straightened out. After all - I have a cruise to sail out on next Thursday...

[Bonesmart.org] AussieMike returns
 
Hi Mike,

You may have to see your GP and get a letter to enable you to carry pain meds overseas.

You may still need them :)
 
Oh Poppet

I so wish you were correct. Sadly I won't need to see the GP as the cruise is a short cruise that goes...nowhere.

lol

Mike
 
Mike, A cruise to nowhere is what you need to relax and to celebrate your success . Had fun, and do have a good time. Nothing ocean air to get away from it all. Tashia
 
Poppet What happen here where we posting at the same time or what. Oh Mike have a good weekend. Tashia
 
Hi Mike,

It looks like I just got to just about the end of your recovery saga after reading it for the last two days. I've really enjoyed your writing style and attention to detail. As has been said by various folks over and over again, everyone's experience is a bit different. I haven't seen anyone else mention a rehab hospital, for instance, but I imagine it's a great idea for someone normally living alone. Fortunately, when I was released on the fourth day, I had family members living at the house to help.

In my case I found I could taper off and stop my pain pills before they were all gone. This was partly due to the shocking price (profit margin?) of the meds. We laughingly considered selling them on the street to get more and recover the cost. Anyway, at this point I'm getting around okay with a cane and short jaunts around the house without. There is no pain, just some discomfort or a dull ache if I overdo things.

I go for x-rays and to see my surgeon on November 29, by which time I hope to be cleared to drive and not have to depend on others and cabs. When I asked him at 2 weeks post-op, he said 8 weeks before driving.

I was wondering what those TED socks you hate so much were, until I Googled them. I had something similar in the hospital, but without the feet, but they took them off after a couple of days. There seemed to be a disagreement among the nurses whether they were too tight or not and it felt good to have them off at night. When I got home, I received a bill for them!

But as I already said, everybody's experience is different. When I first went back for PT at the hospital out-patient department, the therapist concluded that I have what they called a "good hip", which explains the low pain level. I remember being asked in the hospital to rate my pain from 1 to 10 and at first it was 2 or 3, but by the third day it was 0 to 1. I also had high expectations based on what what a friend told me. He's 79 and had THR a couple of years ago using the minimally invasive procedure. He was riding his bike 4 weeks after the operation and logged 6k miles the first year. Of course, I'm not expecting anything like that due to my procedure being the conventional method.

Anyway, it was informative and a pleasure reading your account, and go easy on those 12-hour days. Fortunately I'm retired and don't have to put up with that anymore, although I've been getting called in to consult from time to time. In fact, the boss called me a week before my surgery, but I was in too much pain. Now I still have an excuse. :yes:
 
Hi John

Thanks for your kind words and I am pleased my words provided some pleasure to you as part of your journey.

It is a blessing that pain has not been a significant part of your recovery. I hope things proceed in an uneventful fashion for you and that the next time the old boss calls you for a bit of consulting work, you can actually choose to say yes if you so wish.

Kind regards

Mike
 
John its my intention to keep posting on a weekly basis.

Cheers

Mike
 
Great to hear about your OS visit! I like the way you listed the question and the answer, questions we all have or will have when we get to your current time. I had to smile at the comments on the TED socks! My caretaker, when I told her why I wore them (to prevent blood clots) said she wouldn't have thought about that at all and would prob stop wearing them. Her point of reference is so common for someone who has no reference to what this procedure is. While not enjoyable to wear, I wouldn't consider not wearing them at this point, the risk is too great.
Your posts have been great to read and as I go down the path you recently tread, its good to see the detailed notes as you progressed. I hope your cruise is fabulous wherever it goes or doesn't go. Just the distraction will no doubt be fabulous for you! I am at 1 week home tmrw (oops today Sat in the US!) and look foward to the day I can plan a similar distraction. Glad to see you are on your way to a full recovery and are liiving life to the fullest!
 
Hi HippyShani,

Thank you for your lovely note.

Glad you found my Q & A from my OS visit helpful. One additional tip for guys who have to wear TED socks and wear business suits - you can pick up black TED's at almost any airport.

My cruise is what they call a sampler cruise and it goes out to sea from Sydney and cruises around the north coast of the state of New South Wales while we party for a couple of nights. Just a nice short break.

Wishing you a swift and uneventful recovery,

Mike
 
Its Sunday evening here in Sydney Australia (I wish the rest of you would catch up). I had a full rich day starting with a Champagne breakfast for two in a Darling Harbour (inner city) restaurant. The breakfast was a gift that we had been holding onto for some time. Just in case you are wondering if I had the champagne while taking Oxycontin, the answer is no. My lady happily had two glasses.

From there we went to the Earth Body and Soul Festival just a short walk away. This is a festival full of smelly soaps, cremes, tarot cards, massage chairs, cooking demonstrations and a thousand magical things you can do with a crystal that wont make a scrap of difference to your well-being. We wandered around for a few hours being entertained by all kinds of strange people.

On the way home, we were hot and thirsty so we stopped at a local club for a beer. (Mine was a ginger beer of course.) By the time we reached my lady's home I was tired. I had used my very last Endone tablet in the world and went searching for something to relieve my aches and pains. For the first time I tried Voltarin (NSAID) and BINGO after a half hour nap I was pain free. I mean like better than I ever feel using Endone and Targin.

I felt so good that I stopped off on the way home to my apartment and did the weekly shopping at the supermarket. Can anyone tell me why I should not just take NSAID in place of Oxycontin at this stage?
 
Hi Mike

Can't see a reason, providing you are tapering off the OxyContin .

But remember that Voltarin is an anti inflammatory, not an actual pain med, but you can combine it with Paracetamol.

If you stay on NSAIDs make sure your GP is checking your eGFR and Creatinine levels for your kidney function.. It was NSAIDs that got me into strife. There is an article in the library I think it is called the BoneSmart Cocktail and it discusses combining the two.

Here it is..

https://bonesmart.org/forum/threads/medications-bonesmart-tylenol-ibuprofen-cocktail.12217/

Nite..
 
Mike, Your day sounds wonderful and relaxing. I'm so glad you are doing so good. I do hope that your week continue like your weekend. Have and a safe week. Tashia
 
Hi Mike, glad the Voltarin worked for you. I used only Voltarin (Diclofenac) both pre and post op. I can't tolerate the heavy duty pain killers and found Voltarin worked just fine. Poppet is right, you can take paracetamol with it. Just don't take it on an empty stomach.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom