Guest viewing is limited

THR AussieMike returns

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks Jaycey.

Ben is home from his Ironman event. He prepares for things like his dad, but this time he forgot one important thing - protection from sunburn! He looks like a very proud lobster. He just devoured two huge bowls of pasta and two litres of water, took a long shower and headed off to bed.

I suppose you could say I am at the boring stage or the frustratingly slow stage, but to me I am in phase one leading to my appointment with the OS on November 7th. Hopefully he takes away the restrictions and I can start the next phase to slowly regain my leg strength and aerobic fitness.

To be honest, I am way too grateful for where I am at to risk it now.

Mike
 
A final pic of my son Ben taken at today's Port Macquarie Ironman 70.3

[Bonesmart.org] AussieMike returns
 
One proud Papa.. One good looking Son, one tired looking very pleased young man, a very successful day for Father and Son !

Good night Mike and his boys :)
 
CURRENT DATE: Monday 29th October 2012
Procedure: LTHR - 24th September 2012
Post Op: 4 weeks and 5 days
Location: My apartment
Entry Weight: 78kg / 172lb
Current Weight: 74.5kg / 164Ib
Target Weight: 70kg / 154bIb

CURRENT ISSUES:
Muscle imbalances in left leg

OPERATING HOSPITAL ACHIEVEMENTS (5 days):
1. Got out of bed independently
2. Stood in place with walking frame
3. Walked 6 meters to bathroom
4. Used bathroom independently
5. Took shower seated with assistance
6. Dressed with assistance
7. Walked 30 meters with a walking frame
8. Walked 10 meters with 2 crutches
9. Walked up and down 1 step repeatedly
10. Showered standing independently
11. Dressed independently (except TED socks)
12. Walked 100 meters with 2 crutches
13. Walked up and down the 6 step mini-stairs
14. Supporting my roomie and new friend David on his journey

REHABILITATION HOSPITAL ACHIEVEMENTS (14 days):
15. Walked down and up 2 flights of stairs (total 60 stairs)
16. Hip Flexion 90 degrees
17. Hip Abduction 30 degrees
18. Making people happy and positive
19. Walking with two walking sticks
20. Walking with one walking stick
21. Commenced hydrotherapy program
22. 30 seconds of continuous kicking against the Hydrojets
23. 60 second Plank
24. Breaststroke / Backstroke in the pool
25. Slept through the night without pain relief
26. Walking leg over leg down stairs
27. Walking leg over leg up stairs
28. 6 x 60 secs Planks with 30 secs rest between reps
29. Walking leg over leg up 10 flights of stairs
30. Lost 2.5kg / 5.5lb in body weight in rehab - none of it muscle

POST HOSPITAL ACHIEVEMENTS:
31. Completed 800 meters / 875 yards footpath (pavement) walk in 7.5 mins
32. Completed 800 meters / 875 yards footpath (pavement) walk in 6 mins
33. Completed 910 meters / 995 yard walk around local park.
34. Completed 1,350 meters /1,476 yard walk around local park.
35. Lost a total of 3.5kg / 7.7lb in bodyweight since my THR.
36. Completed 2.34 km / 1.45 mile walk around local park.
37. Returned to work for an 7 hour day.
38. Returned to work for an 8 hour day.
39. One hour walking business meeting (4km approx).
40. Walking upstairs - pain free and with stability

CURRENT PAIN MANAGEMENT:
5mg Targin every evening at bedtime
5 mg Endone as required during the day (max 2 per day)
2 Panadol if required.
Aspirin 150mg per day

TODAY'S FOOD PLAN:
Breakfast
Porridge, skim milk, black tea
Lunch

Dinner


TODAY'S FOCUS:
1. Lunchtime walk to Cremorne
2. Supermarket
3. Hydrotherapy session

NOTES:

3.45 Woke up feeling cold. Don't you hate it when you kick the bed clothes off in the middle of the night only to wake up from the cold?

Lying here in bed thinking about my week ahead and how best to balance my work and my rehab activities. I have decided to try a lunchtime walk to Cremorne today. Cremorne is the next suburb along the main road from my office and should take about 15 minutes at my current pace to walk there and 15 mins to walk back. Being an "out and back" route, I can simply turn around if it seems to be taking too long or if I am feeling fatigued.
 
Quite aside from my day to day rehabilitation planning, I like to let my mind think about my lifestyle in the medium term. You know what I mean. Beyond the daily plan to walk here or there or to visit the pool. Bigger questions like, where will I be at by Christmas?

I do like to set some longer term goals not to apply any pressure upon myself but to have some bigger rewards on offer at the end of all this rehab stuff. So here is my list of things which I hope will be in place by the Christmas break.

1. My OS lifts all restrictions on my rehab activities on November 7th
2. I will be able to drive to my sister's place to celebrate with her extended family. (105 min drive each way)
3. I will visit my eldest son Cameron and his girlfriend Jaclyn for Christmas (120 min drive each way)
4. I will be able to complete my favourite walk around my leafy suburb of Northbridge (5.2km / 3.23 mile)
5. I will be back at my Fitness First gym at Mosman on a regular basis (2 - 3 times per week)
6. I will be able to visit the Moore Park golf driving range and hit 80 balls
7. I will have completed 9 holes of golf at Cammeray GC with an electric cart
8. I will have completed 9 holes of golf at Cammeray GC without an electric cart
9. I will be able to mow my lady's lawn for her.
10. My body weight will be down to 70 kg (154 lb)

Now before all my Bonesmart Angelsâ„¢ get concerned that this list is too much too soon, remember this is my daydream (in the middle of the night). There is no pressure to do these things. But it would be nice if I am able to tick some of them off...
 
I find it interesting to take note of the number of views that my thread has each day. On average I might write or edit some post about 5 - 7 times each day and other people might respond a few times too. But the number of views is far greater than that. It makes me wonder, who reads my thread and why. Are there people who read my thread who I have never heard from? If so, why do they read it? Does it help them in their journey or are they here for another reason. I wish I knew...
 
Hi Mike
i have been following your journey and lurking on the site for a few months before having the courage to join. I think its very reasuring to see others recovering especially when you know your journey will take a little longer than most.
Thanks for all your posts. Although us hippys come from all over the planet we all have the same problems.
 
Hi Mike
i have been following your journey and lurking on the site for a few months before having the courage to join. I think its very reasuring to see others recovering especially when you know your journey will take a little longer than most.
Thanks for all your posts. Although us hippys come from all over the planet we all have the same problems.

Hi Millie,

Thanks for your post. Reading your signature block where you mention 34 hip surgeries over 35 years I am totally humbled. What could I possibly know that you have not experienced? Yours has been such a long journey, I so wish for you the same experience I have had. How is your most recent hip revision doing?

Kind regards

Mike
 
Hi Mike, it's good to hear how well you are doing :thumb: Lovely photo of your Ben, what a handsome lad he is :)

I guess there a loads of peeps who are not comfortable signing up to be fully fledged members but want to find info about their own situations and your thread will have been a great help to many.

Take care, hope your lunchtime walk went okay

Ann
 
Hi Annie

Thanks for "pops"ing by. I suppose you are right about people not wanting to sign up. Its never my way of thinking so I find it hard to imagine there are many of them. I hope my ramblings are of help. It makes me feel like I have given a little bit back for the huge support that you all have been to me.

Didn't quite make that lunchtime walk today. It will have to be after work I am afraid.

Take care

Mike
 
Well done to your son. As for pounding the streets all day I guess like me charting how much time you spend resting would make you depressed so much better to concentrate on the walks. After all it was inability to enjoy a simple walk a few short months back is why we had surgery :-).
 
hey Puddle Fish

Exactly!! We could all focus on the frustrations; the things we can't do yet and the things that still hurt. It would be so easy. But we all know that a positive state of mind actually assists us to get through rehab easier.

However that is not to say that talking about what is hard isn't to be encouraged. It is. Bonesmart.org is a forum where we learn from each other to find solutions to our pain and our problems. The difference between us today and six months ago is that we have got past the most difficult step.

Keep your eye on the light at the end of the tunnel...and smile mate.

Cheers

Mike
 
Oh dear. Who put that wall there. I just ran into it....

After a restful weekend, I went to work for what I thought was a well planned straight-forward day. A 9.30am meeting with my new network and infrastructure manager. A short meeting with my data and systems manager at 12 noon and an executive meeting at 2pm.

I took 5mg Endone at 8am and then 2 Panadol tablets at 10am as per my usual pain management plan. However about 10 minutes into the executive meeting I started to feel odd. I started to sweat, I started to shake and I felt like I was about to vomit. I excused myself and returned to my office and took another 5mg Endone tablet, locked my door and put my head on the desk. I wanted to lie down. After about 40 minutes, I emerged and found the strength to get home.

Now its 8.51pm and I feel trashed. What is going on here. I rested all weekend and on day one of the next week I am a train wreck. I am aching, I feel weak and a bit dizzy. Can anyone explain this please? Can what I am experiencing be attributed to my operation or could it be something unrelated? And more importantly, what do I do now?
 
Sounds like a flu bug Mike. Rest and see if things ease. Please do keep us updated!
 
Thanks Jaycey. This is quite possible as the CEO has the flu and is in the office, how can I tell given that I have muscle aches and weakness like a rehab patient?
 
Sudden onset of your symptoms coupled with recent exposure to the flu would indicate to me that you caught a bug. Remember your resistance is probably low having just had major surgery.

If you are worried and your symptoms get worse overnight give your GP a ring. Muscle aches and weakness are common with flu. I wouldn't think it's op related but I'll tag Jo so she can comment. Josephine Take care!
 
As usual Jaycey is on the money. It is some kinda bug. It is now 4.41am and I am awake with symptoms that are definitely NOT related to my surgery. Aches and pains, thirst and diarrhea. Makes a change I suppose.
 
Good morning Mike, I would make an apt to see the Doc this morning and rest, not going to work I assume ? Teakettle care my friend

Hugs
 
Aw Mike, tons of sympathy for you. Just as you start to feel on top of the world, a microscopic bug topples your world. Amazing what power those viral particles have over us. Perhaps this is the way your body is saying slow down....you're moving just a tiny bit too fast. Or not. :)

Regardless of why, you know the drill. Lots of rest, lots of fluids.

Feel better REALLY soon.

Sharon
 
Hi Mike, 'popsing by' you are a funny one :loll:

Sorry to hear you have a dreaded bug, I hope it's just a 24 hour one.

Take care

Ann.x.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom