Guest viewing is limited

THR AussieMike returns

Status
Not open for further replies.
Good luck on your long day Mike! Hang in there and try not to over do. You are doing fantastically well!

PS - love the story about your lady's message getting broadcast! :heehee:
 
Hi Mike

You cenrtainly have a plan and I hope everything works out for you, I followed the plan for my return to work from my last hip which consisted of taking it easy for the first couple of weeks until I got used to the normal routine again.
Unfortunately today I appeared to have pulled a muscle in the back of my lowerleft leg, hopefully a minor setback and normality will return tomorrow.

Billy
 
Hi Billy

Thanks for your message and good wishes. Hope your leg gets sorted quickly for you.

Mike
 
AussieMike, thank you for coming over to my site and your subjection. It really helped and will do it for a while because it helps me greatly. Thank You. Tashia
 
Hi Mike

Hope your long day is kind to you!

Hugs
 
Hey Team,

My long day is done. Its 11.32pm and I was able to get through with a little more medication than normal. Yes this was pushing it too far today. But it was a farewell function to person I greatly respect who had given 22 years great service on our Board of Directors. It was the right thing to do and she appreciated my presence. Time to sleep...

Goodnight Angels,

Mike
 
Hope you can have a shorter day tomorrow - Friday Mike..sleep well :)

p.s. have you had a look at the iPad Mini? Me thinks another toy for nerdy girl here... Hehehe!

Nite and hugs
 
Well, how about that! Singing Happy Birthday to your new hip! Speaking from the new hip's point of view, it is glad to have found such a good host who carefully directs his diet and exercise, appreciates and listens to the health care professional helping him and considers the the hip as a new lease on life. Great attitude Mike! You and your new hip are such an inspiration.
 
Thanks to everyone who stopped by to offer kind words of support for my Long Day. Probably I should have called it my Too Long Day. But by way of gratitude and compensation to my shiny new hip, you will be pleased to know that I have decided upon a Sneaky LIttle Friday...
 
Well, how about that! Singing Happy Birthday to your new hip! Speaking from the new hip's point of view, it is glad to have found such a good host who carefully directs his diet and exercise, appreciates and listens to the health care professional helping him and considers the the hip as a new lease on life. Great attitude Mike! You and your new hip are such an inspiration.

Thanks Catherine for your kind words faithfully translated from hip language to me...lol

Being from the business world, its all about getting a good Return on Investment (ROI).

We have choices to make about what we invest in on behalf of our new hips and its new home environments. We have different currencies that we can invest - rest, elevation, ice, good food, professional assistance, exercise, medication and so on. These hips love a variety of currency to be able to thrive.

As the new owner of my hip I have expectations of great support, range of motion, painless operation, silent performance and a lifetime warranty - not to mention a deal of golfing excellence and travel.

Makes so much sense to invest heavily for a great ROI.

Cheers

Mike
 
Hope you can have a shorter day tomorrow - Friday Mike..sleep well :)

p.s. have you had a look at the iPad Mini? Me thinks another toy for nerdy girl here... Hehehe!

Nite and hugs

Hey Poppet

I have had a quick look at the tech specs for the iPad Mini and to me it is a strategic offering by Apple to defend and extend market share against its major adversaries, Amazon and Google. My 22 yr old son says that is the thing for him, he likes the size and can afford the price ticket. So if there are enough people like you and my son Ben out there, the product makes sense. Personally I think the iPad 3 is a much more engaging size and experience. But you have to love choice and in your case Poppet I think it will be great therapy for your poor back. You deserve one...

Hugs my friend

Mike
 
CURRENT DATE: Friday 26th October 2012
Procedure: LTHR - 24th September 2012
Post Op: 4 weeks and 2 day
Location: My apartment / My office
Entry Weight: 78kg / 172lb
Current Weight: 74.5kg / 164Ib
Target Weight: 70kg / 154bIb

CURRENT ISSUES:
Muscle imbalances in left leg

OPERATING HOSPITAL ACHIEVEMENTS (5 days):
1. Got out of bed independently
2. Stood in place with walking frame
3. Walked 6 meters to bathroom
4. Used bathroom independently
5. Took shower seated with assistance
6. Dressed with assistance
7. Walked 30 meters with a walking frame
8. Walked 10 meters with 2 crutches
9. Walked up and down 1 step repeatedly
10. Showered standing independently
11. Dressed independently (except TED socks)
12. Walked 100 meters with 2 crutches
13. Walked up and down the 6 step mini-stairs
14. Supporting my roomie and new friend David on his journey

REHABILITATION HOSPITAL ACHIEVEMENTS (14 days):
15. Walked down and up 2 flights of stairs (total 60 stairs)
16. Hip Flexion 90 degrees
17. Hip Abduction 30 degrees
18. Making people happy and positive
19. Walking with two walking sticks
20. Walking with one walking stick
21. Commenced hydrotherapy program
22. 30 seconds of continuous kicking against the Hydrojets
23. 60 second Plank
24. Breaststroke / Backstroke in the pool
25. Slept through the night without pain relief
26. Walking leg over leg down stairs
27. Walking leg over leg up stairs
28. 6 x 60 secs Planks with 30 secs rest between reps
29. Walking leg over leg up 10 flights of stairs
30. Lost 2.5kg / 5.5lb in body weight in rehab - none of it muscle

POST HOSPITAL ACHIEVEMENTS:
31. Completed 800 meters / 875 yards footpath (pavement) walk in 7.5 mins
32. Completed 800 meters / 875 yards footpath (pavement) walk in 6 mins
33. Completed 910 meters / 995 yard walk around local park.
34. Completed 1,350 meters /1,476 yard walk around local park.
35. Lost a total of 3.5kg / 7.7lb in bodyweight since my THR.
36. Completed 2.34 km / 1.45 mile walk around local park.
37. Returned to work for an 7 hour day.
38. Returned to work for an 8 hour day.
39. One hour walking business meeting (4km approx).

CURRENT PAIN MANAGEMENT:
5mg Targin every evening at bedtime
5 mg Endone as required during the day (max 2 per day)
2 Panadol if required.
Aspirin 150mg per day

TODAY'S FOOD PLAN:
Breakfast
Organic oatmeal, apple, carrot, ginger & celery juice
Lunch
Fruit salad with low fat yoghurt
Dinner
Chicken and vegetable soup with toasted sourdough

TODAY'S FOCUS:
1. Light food after my rich food night out
2. Doing only what is essential in the office and getting out
3. Additional rest time

NOTES:

03.49 Its early morning - around the normal time my body wakes me up for pain medication. The coming day is dedicated to as much rest and repair as possible. Today's diet is small portions of simple, easy to digest food to balance the amazing but rich foods from the restaurant last night; Today's exercise is minimal. Some walking and some stretching but nothing really to talk about with my rest times maximised. I hope to be home from the office by 2pm.

16.44 Well my first week back in the office is done and dusted. I was able to perform way beyond what I had expected. I am again fortunate. Now its on to a cruisey weekend....

17.35 Snuck in a three-hour nap before my son arrived home. I certainly need quiet time this weekend. Fortunately for me, my sons are travelling to Port Macquarie (5 hours north from Sydney) for Ben to compete in his first Ironman (triathlon) competition on Sunday. I will get the peace and quiet I need.
 
Mike you are being very wise. A short day after a long and tiring one is exactly the way to go. Soon the long days will be more tolerable. But for now pacing yourself is just perfect. Well done you!
 
CURRENT DATE: Saturday 27th October 2012
Procedure: LTHR - 24th September 2012
Post Op: 4 weeks and 3 day
Location: My apartment
Entry Weight: 78kg / 172lb
Current Weight: 74.5kg / 164Ib
Target Weight: 70kg / 154bIb

CURRENT ISSUES:
Muscle imbalances in left leg

OPERATING HOSPITAL ACHIEVEMENTS (5 days):
1. Got out of bed independently
2. Stood in place with walking frame
3. Walked 6 meters to bathroom
4. Used bathroom independently
5. Took shower seated with assistance
6. Dressed with assistance
7. Walked 30 meters with a walking frame
8. Walked 10 meters with 2 crutches
9. Walked up and down 1 step repeatedly
10. Showered standing independently
11. Dressed independently (except TED socks)
12. Walked 100 meters with 2 crutches
13. Walked up and down the 6 step mini-stairs
14. Supporting my roomie and new friend David on his journey

REHABILITATION HOSPITAL ACHIEVEMENTS (14 days):
15. Walked down and up 2 flights of stairs (total 60 stairs)
16. Hip Flexion 90 degrees
17. Hip Abduction 30 degrees
18. Making people happy and positive
19. Walking with two walking sticks
20. Walking with one walking stick
21. Commenced hydrotherapy program
22. 30 seconds of continuous kicking against the Hydrojets
23. 60 second Plank
24. Breaststroke / Backstroke in the pool
25. Slept through the night without pain relief
26. Walking leg over leg down stairs
27. Walking leg over leg up stairs
28. 6 x 60 secs Planks with 30 secs rest between reps
29. Walking leg over leg up 10 flights of stairs
30. Lost 2.5kg / 5.5lb in body weight in rehab - none of it muscle

POST HOSPITAL ACHIEVEMENTS:
31. Completed 800 meters / 875 yards footpath (pavement) walk in 7.5 mins
32. Completed 800 meters / 875 yards footpath (pavement) walk in 6 mins
33. Completed 910 meters / 995 yard walk around local park.
34. Completed 1,350 meters /1,476 yard walk around local park.
35. Lost a total of 3.5kg / 7.7lb in bodyweight since my THR.
36. Completed 2.34 km / 1.45 mile walk around local park.
37. Returned to work for an 7 hour day.
38. Returned to work for an 8 hour day.
39. One hour walking business meeting (4km approx).

CURRENT PAIN MANAGEMENT:
5mg Targin every evening at bedtime
5 mg Endone as required during the day (max 2 per day)
2 Panadol if required.
Aspirin 150mg per day

TODAY'S FOOD PLAN:
Breakfast
Boiled eggs (2), wholemeal toast with avocado, cup of vegetable soup
Lunch
Protein shake - skim milk, protein powder, banana, raspberries.
Dinner


TODAY'S FOCUS:
1. Hydrotherapy session
2. Retail therapy
3. Additional rest

NOTES:

05.43 I slept through from Midnight to dawn and feel better rested now. My elder son Cameron is due here around 9am for the 377km (234 mile) road trip with his brother Ben to the Ironman event in Port Macquarie early tomorrow morning.

This will be the first time in Ben's life I have missed one of his events. So I am not finding it easy but it was totally the right decision not to attempt this trip. Its just to soon after the operation.

I have a nice day planned. An exercise session at the local pool; weekly supermarket shopping and a trip into the CBD to buy some business clothes.

10.01 Got my sons away on their road trip and had a nice breakfast. Energy levels are low still. I had an Endone 5mg tablet about 20 mins ago and just resting hoping to head to the pool a little later on.

14.00 More sleep only to be awoken by strong lower back pain. I took further pain medication and its starting to ease now.

21.27 So the price of my week at work is now realised. A day of total rest. I did nothing but rest and now I am going to bed in the hope I will awake in the morning like a new butterfly...
 
Congrats on your first week back to work. It was mine too and I was adamant that I would only work 20 hours ( OK, I did cheat with a few hours of computer time from home ). We are tired! We need to take things nice and slow and recharge for the week ahead. We have great new hips and are still in the healing process. Lots of naps and one set exercises. Ahhhhhh....
 
Thanks Catherine. Its been a pretty quiet day for me today so far. I needed this rest more than I realised. When I am in my office with 35 staff and a bunch of consultants my mind is pretty focused. After a month away there was a lot to catch up on and a lot of decisions to make.

I am feeling a bit blue too. My sons have arrived in Port Macquarie for Ben's Ironman (triathlon) event tomorrow and I so wish I was there. Its the first one of his events I have ever missed. The event consists of a 1.9km (1.2 mile) ocean swim, followed by a 90 km (56 mile) bike ride and finally a half marathon (21.1 km or 13.1 mile) run. This is the Australian Age Championships and he is competing against about 60 people in his age group (20 - 24 yrs). But I knew I was never a chance to do this trip. Just had a thought. It might be on Pay TV. I am off to check...

Okay, I checked. No such luck - I will have to rely on SMS and phone calls.
 
Pleased you rested today Mike. I used to find that I would get caught up in the euphoria of no pain and suddenly exhaustion would hit me. You are also taking Endone and they will have a drowsy effect on you, even though you may not be immediately aware. They are OxyContin, but the immediate release rather than the slow release.

I would take it easy tomorrow, Sunday, it really won't hurt to not do any specific exercise. Walking around your apartment and up and down your stairs is exercise too. :) keep an eye on your back pain, you don't want that to become a constant pain point, it will affect your walking gait.

Sorry you missed Ben's event, how did he go?

Take care and big hugs
 
Hey Poppet,

Thanks for your sympathy and advice. No plans for tomorrow yet. Just take the day as it comes. Ben's event starts at 6.50am Sunday morning. I shall advise in due course. I will be happy with a finish as it is his first Ironman event. He is aiming for between 5 hrs and 5.5hrs.

Hugs for you too,

Mike
 
CURRENT DATE: Sunday 28th October 2012
Procedure: LTHR - 24th September 2012
Post Op: 4 weeks and 4 days
Location: My apartment
Entry Weight: 78kg / 172lb
Current Weight: 74.5kg / 164Ib
Target Weight: 70kg / 154bIb

CURRENT ISSUES:
Muscle imbalances in left leg

OPERATING HOSPITAL ACHIEVEMENTS (5 days):
1. Got out of bed independently
2. Stood in place with walking frame
3. Walked 6 meters to bathroom
4. Used bathroom independently
5. Took shower seated with assistance
6. Dressed with assistance
7. Walked 30 meters with a walking frame
8. Walked 10 meters with 2 crutches
9. Walked up and down 1 step repeatedly
10. Showered standing independently
11. Dressed independently (except TED socks)
12. Walked 100 meters with 2 crutches
13. Walked up and down the 6 step mini-stairs
14. Supporting my roomie and new friend David on his journey

REHABILITATION HOSPITAL ACHIEVEMENTS (14 days):
15. Walked down and up 2 flights of stairs (total 60 stairs)
16. Hip Flexion 90 degrees
17. Hip Abduction 30 degrees
18. Making people happy and positive
19. Walking with two walking sticks
20. Walking with one walking stick
21. Commenced hydrotherapy program
22. 30 seconds of continuous kicking against the Hydrojets
23. 60 second Plank
24. Breaststroke / Backstroke in the pool
25. Slept through the night without pain relief
26. Walking leg over leg down stairs
27. Walking leg over leg up stairs
28. 6 x 60 secs Planks with 30 secs rest between reps
29. Walking leg over leg up 10 flights of stairs
30. Lost 2.5kg / 5.5lb in body weight in rehab - none of it muscle

POST HOSPITAL ACHIEVEMENTS:
31. Completed 800 meters / 875 yards footpath (pavement) walk in 7.5 mins
32. Completed 800 meters / 875 yards footpath (pavement) walk in 6 mins
33. Completed 910 meters / 995 yard walk around local park.
34. Completed 1,350 meters /1,476 yard walk around local park.
35. Lost a total of 3.5kg / 7.7lb in bodyweight since my THR.
36. Completed 2.34 km / 1.45 mile walk around local park.
37. Returned to work for an 7 hour day.
38. Returned to work for an 8 hour day.
39. One hour walking business meeting (4km approx).

CURRENT PAIN MANAGEMENT:
5mg Targin every evening at bedtime
5 mg Endone as required during the day (max 2 per day)
2 Panadol if required.
Aspirin 150mg per day

TODAY'S FOOD PLAN:
Breakfast
Weetbix (3), skim milk,
Lunch
Spaghetti, wholemeal toast (2)
Dinner
Marinara Penne, peaches, water

TODAY'S FOCUS:
1. Hydrotherapy session
2. Supermarket
3. Additional rest

NOTES:

07.29 Woke up this morning feeling much better. Its amazing how the human body knows how to repair itself in many circumstances when it is given what it needs. I am lying in bed with my laptop computer tracking my younger son Ben in his first Ironman event via the web.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom