Guest viewing is limited

THR AussieMike returns

Status
Not open for further replies.
Fingers crossed for Ben! Here's a world wide CHEER for his success! :yahoo:
 
Fingers crossed for Ben! Here's a world wide CHEER for his success! :yahoo:

Thanks Jaycey. The competitors are released in waves with Ben's age group off now at 7.16am in pink swimming caps - I am sure that will please him (not). There is no television coverage but with the wonders of technology, the Ironman website lets you track every individual competitor's split times from the electronic tags they have around their ankles. How cool is that?
 
That is very cool... Good luck Ben... :)

How are you Mike?
 
I am doing just fine Poppet. About to have a leisurely breakfast and a Sunday morning walk.

I have just been sitting here tracking Ben's race. He finished the 1.9km ocean swim in 33.03 and in 38th position.
Pretty handy for his first ironman event.


[Bonesmart.org] AussieMike returns
 
After a total rest day yesterday, I noticed a definite improvement this morning.

My apartment is on two levels with a staircase of 16 stairs between them. When I came home a week ago, going down was very easy and pain free. Going upstairs was weak in comparison. My glute provided very little push for the back leg to lift and reach for the next step. I was using the railing to remain stable and the climb was a little painful.

Well this morning I feel stronger. I can do the upstairs movement without the rail for stability. Its much more smooth. Not 100% pain free but probably 80%. You hippies will understand when I talk about the hesitation to take the next step cause you know its going to hurt. Well, the pain is so low the hesitation is gone.

Can I explain this? No, of course not. But it is a great example of how the healing process works. I did nothing but rest yesterday and the internal healing of the glute muscle is happening at full speed. Isn't the human body just remarkable.
I am so fortunate.

P.S. If you are interested in how Ben's ironman event is going... He has just passed the half way mark in the 90km (56 mile) bike leg and has moved up to 19th position.

[Bonesmart.org] AussieMike returns
 
Well done Mike 4 weeks is a very short time, glad the AGM went well and have a good weekend.

Thanks Puddle Fish. I am very grateful for my wonderful recovery. So many people to thank for where I am at. From what I read you are doing just fine yourself. Nice to hear you are getting out there for short outings. Sunshine and fresh air does wonders for your mood doesn't it?

P.S. If you are following my son Ben's Ironman event, you will be pleased to know he has finished the 90km (56 mile) bike leg and has moved up from 38th to 20th in his age group. Now he just has a half marathon to run! (21.1km or 13.1 mile).
 
An Ironman Update: After 4 hours 15 mins, Ben has just 10km (6.2 mile) to run in his first Ironman event. Hope he can break the 5 hour mark. Whatever the time I am proud of him.
 
Ironman Final: My son Ben finished his first Ironman event in 5 hours and 11 minutes coming in a very creditable 20th in the 18-24 yrs age division. My sons continue to amaze me.
 
Congratulations to Ben! That is truly an excellent result for his first IronMan event... Much to be proud of Mike :)

p.s. I assume that is a photo of him?
 
Congratulations to Ben! That is truly an excellent result for his first IronMan event... Much to be proud of Mike :)

p.s. I assume that is a photo of him?

Thanks Poppet. He is amazing. That is just a random photo from this event. Below is Ben in the Gold Coast Marathon a few months back..

[Bonesmart.org] AussieMike returns
 
Just back from a walk around the local area. It is always different walking outside on uneven ground than inside my apartment. I suppose because you are walking for a distance your gait is different. The ligaments and tendons engaged as I walk tend to work harder out of doors. Probably I am walking faster and with a longer stride.

The question for me is how many thousand times do I have to stretch a tendon or liagment with the correct stride pattern before it lengthens to be able to do this without pain?
 
Excellent! I am so glad you found a way to track your son's progress! I will tell you that it is no fun having to hold back and asking for help all the time, but maybe, just maybe, this is part of the plan and we will learn from this. ( praying for patience! ).

I am rooting for your Iron Man!!!
 
Excellent! I am so glad you found a way to track your son's progress! I will tell you that it is no fun having to hold back and asking for help all the time, but maybe, just maybe, this is part of the plan and we will learn from this. ( praying for patience! ).

I am rooting for your Iron Man!!!

Hi Catherine

Patience is an elusive quality. Nobody actually wants more patience for its own sake, just to avoid frustration. One thing we do get from all this slow progress is an appreciation of every single tiny improvement we make. Some people have seen me wandering around with a walking stick and have stopped to chat. Some of them say something like "I am sorry that you had to go through all that." I know they are being nice, but hey I am not sorry I have had this experience. It has taught me so much, exposed me to people I would never have met and given me a greater appreciation for everything I have.

Hoping you are feeling some progress in return for your patience very soon.

Mike
 
I am not surprised that your son is doing well. You are a very good example of keeping focus. Good job jor the both of you. Keep it up. Tashia
 
I am not surprised that your son is doing well. You are a very good example of keeping focus. Good job jor the both of you. Keep it up. Tashia

Thanks Tashia for your kind words. Poor Ben, in my office my colleagues call him Mini Mike.
 
Just back from a walk around the local area. It is always different walking outside on uneven ground than inside my apartment. I suppose because you are walking for a distance your gait is different. The ligaments and tendons engaged as I walk tend to work harder out of doors. Probably I am walking faster and with a longer stride.

The question for me is how many thousand times do I have to stretch a tendon or liagment with the correct stride pattern before it lengthens to be able to do this without pain?

Absolutely agree, Ben looks like you Mike!

With regards to lengthening your stride without pain, this truly comes with healing... The gauge is, when you experience pain, it is time to back off and wait for more healing time and just do gentle stretching. I know you are so methodical about your recovery plan, but you have had very major surgery and it takes time to heal and you are not six weeks yet.

Over and over I read where in the early days, weeks even months that members push that little harder, that little faster or further and then suffer a setback.

You are doing so very well, but wise to remember your body is in control and will heal in its timeframe. Patience buddy :)

Just a friendly reminder, because I know you understand this :)
 
You are so lovely Poppet. You have so much caring for everyone. Thank you. Please don't imagine I am out there pounding the footpath all day long because I'm not. In fact my next outing is to a local restaurant to celebrate with my Ironman when he arrives back home...

Hope your back is not hurting too much today.

Mike
 
Never fear Mike, didn't think that for one second that I might see you alongside Ben.. Hehehe!

Enjoy dinner with your boys:)

Thanks for asking about my back, I explained all on my thread.

Have a good evening my good friend

Hugs
 
Well done to Ben! That's fantastic for his first Iron Man.

Glad you got some rest today Mike. Hang in there - this is the boring part of recovery. It does get better and better!
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Back
Top Bottom