Guest viewing is limited

THR AussieMike returns

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was very happy that I forgot my walking stick today. Most of the day I walked around the office without it. Everyone in the office knows my situation.

In fact, other than as a sign to the general public to give you a bit of space, the only other purpose I find I need it for is to give me stability while walking upstairs. Because my left glute muscle is so weak, I am not as stable walking upstairs. The stick adds that stability I need at this stage. So it will be a while before you will find it on eBay.com
 
Mike,

Hope all goes well with your back to work routine. I think sometimes we don't even realize how much was taken care of in rehab. Yes, we worked very hard in PT and OT but could rest afterward with no inkling of having to even think about meals, being alone, someone bringing our meds, etc. Going home is a huge adjustment and you have done well but often we still need pain meds and other "helps" along the way. This is not a straight path so don't get discouraged if you need to go back to previous routines once in a while. If there is one thing I have learned it is respect for my body. It will tell you what you need/don't need along the way. All the best.

Hi DianeMarie,

Thanks for your words of support and wisdom. I have to agree with you about the value of rehab facilities. The two weeks I spent there where all my efforts were centred around giving my body what it needed were invaluable. My entire focus was rest, nutrition and physio session both in and out of the pool. I have no doubt I would not be as far along as I am without that period of zero overhead. Love my rehab angels.

I so agree with you that the body rules. Listening carefully to what the body is saying it needs is the best strategy. In other words, don't have any predetermined expectations of when you will be able to do things. The lack of expectations allows you to remain positive in your outlook no matter how slowly things change for you.

I much appreciate your input,

Mike
 
Hello!

"I just dropped in to see what condition your condition was in!" :happydance: Mike you are doing great, and you know me, I love laughing and positive attitudes! They say laughter is good for the soul. Well, it is a plus when trying to heal also, and I am so glad you are keeping a positive outlook!

Way to go! :yahoo:
 
Hi Sonja, Brandy and Myra,

Lovely to see your beaming smiles!! Its great that you are sharing yourself around the hippies again today.

Its very hard to be anything but positive when you are as fortunate as I am.

Mike
 
Your journals and updates are my inspiration to keep my own log in detail! I think its great that you can look back and see where you have been compared to where you are now in your journey. I like that you list diet and meds too, its a good indication of how your pain is now compared to then. Your sense of humor is always a plus! I bet you were a joy to the nurses, which is usually to your overall benefit!
I have a cool walking stick that I got in New Mexico this summer that I am using pre op. Its amazing how many complements I get on that stick! Makes me feel a little less old, a little more like I am preparing for future treks. Its a little long, I was going to cut it down to cane height. Instead I have left it long, choosing to keep it for my hikes at the lake with pooch Jenni (avatar shows her "dancing with sticks" move). The walking stick also takes the focus off my Charlie Chaplin waddle and creates a dialog about walking sticks instead (what type of wood is that, where did you get that cool stick....)which I find more interesting than talking about my hip surgery. Its all in the perspective!
Keep on keeping on...you are doing great!
 
Hi there HippyShani,

So glad to read you find my journals of benefit. I was looking for a way to give something back to this community who have supported me so well.

I hope that your journey is as wonderful as mine has been.

Mike

P.S. Love your pooch Jenni
 
CURRENT DATE: Tuesday 23rd October 2012
Procedure: LTHR - 24th September 2012
Post Op: 29 days
Location: My apartment
Entry Weight: 78kg / 172lb
Current Weight: 74.5kg / 164Ib
Target Weight: 70kg / 154bIb

CURRENT ISSUES:
Muscle imbalances in left leg

OPERATING HOSPITAL ACHIEVEMENTS (5 days):
1. Got out of bed independently
2. Stood in place with walking frame
3. Walked 6 meters to bathroom
4. Used bathroom independently
5. Took shower seated with assistance
6. Dressed with assistance
7. Walked 30 meters with a walking frame
8. Walked 10 meters with 2 crutches
9. Walked up and down 1 step repeatedly
10. Showered standing independently
11. Dressed independently (except TED socks)
12. Walked 100 meters with 2 crutches
13. Walked up and down the 6 step mini-stairs
14. Supporting my roomie and new friend David on his journey

REHABILITATION HOSPITAL ACHIEVEMENTS (14 days):
15. Walked down and up 2 flights of stairs (total 60 stairs)
16. Hip Flexion 90 degrees
17. Hip Abduction 30 degrees
18. Making people happy and positive
19. Walking with two walking sticks
20. Walking with one walking stick
21. Commenced hydrotherapy program
22. 30 seconds of continuous kicking against the Hydrojets
23. 60 second Plank
24. Breaststroke / Backstroke in the pool
25. Slept through the night without pain relief
26. Walking leg over leg down stairs
27. Walking leg over leg up stairs
28. 6 x 60 secs Planks with 30 secs rest between reps
29. Walking leg over leg up 10 flights of stairs
30. Lost 2.5kg / 5.5lb in bodyweight in rehab - none of it muscle

POST HOSPITAL ACHIEVEMENTS:
31. Completed 800 meters / 875 yards footpath (pavement) walk in 7.5 mins
32. Completed 800 meters / 875 yards footpath (pavement) walk in 6 mins
33. Completed 910 meters / 995 yard walk around local park.
34. Completed 1,350 meters /1,476 yard walk around local park.
35. Lost a total of 3.5kg / 7.7lb in bodyweight since my THR.
36. Completed 2.34 km / 1.45 mile walk around local park.
37. Returned to work for an 7 hour day.
38. Returned to work for an 8 hour day.

CURRENT PAIN MANAGEMENT:
5mg Targin every evening at bedtime
5 mg Endone as required during the day (max 2 per day)
2 Panadol if required.
Aspirin 150mg per day


TODAY'S FOOD PLAN:
Breakfast
Baked beans, wholemeal toast (2)
Lunch
Organic oatmeal, blueberry smoothie
Dinner
Chargrilled steak, potato, broccoli, carrot, tomato, iced water

TODAY'S FOCUS:
1. Early morning exercise bike - 15 mins
2. Lunchtime walk - 30 mins
3. Local area evening walk - 20 - 30 mins

NOTES:

05.48 I slept through from 2am until 5.45am without waking. This is certainly an improvement. Having my son who is an early riser here woke me up. See if I can catch a bit more rest.

18.00 A full 8 hour day in the office today. Jam packed with important content. Group meetings, one on one status meetings, technical sessions and presentation planning.

I took one Endone at 9am and another at 3pm. Surprisingly it did not effect my clarity of thought or my ability to communicate.

Now I need to integrate my exercise time with my work time. That is a challenge when there is so much to do.

20.37 What a great day. My energy levels have been really high all day. I have been so productive and so mentally alert. Suddenly I realise how pain slowly but surely rob you of your energy and your capabilities. I am so excited and grateful for all that I have got back.

21.06 As I mentioned earlier, I had a very full on day. One particularly nice thing happened. I was sitting at my desk deep in thought when there came a knock on my door. I thought it was one of my female staff who I had asked to do a short task and return to me when it was complete.

Without looking up, I simply said "Come in." in a cheery tone.

I turned around and to my surprise there stood the Chairman of the Board of Directors.

"I don't want to interrupt you. I just stopped by to see for myself and to say how amazing you are. I also want to say don't overdo it. I understand your passion, but your health comes first Mike."

What followed was a 30 minute chat about health and hospitals, aging and parents, illness and caring. Some things people do for you, just says a lot. Thanks Jill. (Yes the Chairman is a lady.)
 
Happy one month anniversary tomorrow Mike.. wow! You are doing fantastic.. lots of reasons like you wrote..

So pleased that your full day in the office was a good one.. Well done mate !

Hugs
 
Thanks Sandy.

As always I appreciate your support. You have been an amazing support to me.

How are you feeling today? Is your back settling down at all?

Hugs

Mike
 
Isn't it amazing how quickly the time passes? You're doing so well, Mike.
Sorry I've not been stopping by but life is busy, busy, busy, don't you know!
 
Isn't it amazing how quickly the time passes? You're doing so well, Mike.
Sorry I've not been stopping by but life is busy, busy, busy, don't you know!

No need to apolgise Jo. I read many posts and I see your wonderful work with those who need your advice and help.
 
CURRENT DATE: Wednesday 24th October 2012
Procedure: LTHR - 24th September 2012
Post Op: 30 days
Location: My apartment / My office
Entry Weight: 78kg / 172lb
Current Weight: 74.5kg / 164Ib
Target Weight: 70kg / 154bIb

CURRENT ISSUES:
Muscle imbalances in left leg

OPERATING HOSPITAL ACHIEVEMENTS (5 days):
1. Got out of bed independently
2. Stood in place with walking frame
3. Walked 6 meters to bathroom
4. Used bathroom independently
5. Took shower seated with assistance
6. Dressed with assistance
7. Walked 30 meters with a walking frame
8. Walked 10 meters with 2 crutches
9. Walked up and down 1 step repeatedly
10. Showered standing independently
11. Dressed independently (except TED socks)
12. Walked 100 meters with 2 crutches
13. Walked up and down the 6 step mini-stairs
14. Supporting my roomie and new friend David on his journey

REHABILITATION HOSPITAL ACHIEVEMENTS (14 days):
15. Walked down and up 2 flights of stairs (total 60 stairs)
16. Hip Flexion 90 degrees
17. Hip Abduction 30 degrees
18. Making people happy and positive
19. Walking with two walking sticks
20. Walking with one walking stick
21. Commenced hydrotherapy program
22. 30 seconds of continuous kicking against the Hydrojets
23. 60 second Plank
24. Breaststroke / Backstroke in the pool
25. Slept through the night without pain relief
26. Walking leg over leg down stairs
27. Walking leg over leg up stairs
28. 6 x 60 secs Planks with 30 secs rest between reps
29. Walking leg over leg up 10 flights of stairs
30. Lost 2.5kg / 5.5lb in body weight in rehab - none of it muscle

POST HOSPITAL ACHIEVEMENTS:
31. Completed 800 meters / 875 yards footpath (pavement) walk in 7.5 mins
32. Completed 800 meters / 875 yards footpath (pavement) walk in 6 mins
33. Completed 910 meters / 995 yard walk around local park.
34. Completed 1,350 meters /1,476 yard walk around local park.
35. Lost a total of 3.5kg / 7.7lb in bodyweight since my THR.
36. Completed 2.34 km / 1.45 mile walk around local park.
37. Returned to work for an 7 hour day.
38. Returned to work for an 8 hour day.

CURRENT PAIN MANAGEMENT:
5mg Targin every evening at bedtime
5 mg Endone as required during the day (max 2 per day)
2 Panadol if required.
Aspirin 150mg per day


TODAY'S FOOD PLAN:
Breakfast
Protein plus cereal, skim milk, apple, carrot and celery juice
Lunch
Mixed sandwiches,fruit salad, low fat yoghurt
Dinner
Chicken and vegetable soup

TODAY'S FOCUS:
1. Early morning walk - 30 mins
2. Hydrotherapy session - 45 mins

NOTES:

00.00 Happy One Month Anniversary to me!!

What an amazing 30 days it has been. When I reflect on my physical and mental condition on the night before I entered hospital it seems so so different and so long ago. So much has happened for me to be grateful for.

In that month, I have experienced the benefit of so many talented and dedicated health professionals; met scores of brave and amazing patients; been supported by so many friends and work colleagues; been shown so much love by my family and closest friends; and guided, advised and supported by the most amazing community of caring angels on BoneSmart.org

It's only in times of real need that people have the opportunity to show they care about you. I am humbled and forever grateful to you all. Collectively you have given me back my life. Thank you so much.

04.00 Not what one would call a real deep sleep tonight. Hope I can catch a few more before dawn.

08.25 The trend continues - I seem to be getting my best sleep between 4am and 7.30am I'm not quite sure why it was so hard to get to sleep in the evening again last night but most importantly I am feeling well rested and ready for another day.

15.51 Another busy day in the office. I took 5mg Endone at 8.30am and again at 3.30pm. Sounds right doesn't it? Well its taking some time for the pain to go away this time and to me that says one thing - that's all for today folks. I am outta here.

18.11 Found a sneaky way to exercise. I had a 4.30pm catch-up with a friend at a cafe near my office. Arrived at the cafe and greeted my friend, then said do you mind if we walk and talk. They were fine with that. So we ordered take away coffee and set out on a nice stroll for an hour around the leafy harbourside suburb called Neutral Bay here in Sydney. (Just for those who know Sydney).

I reckon we did an easy 4 km / 2.5 mile walk. How cool is that!!

19.06. Something very funny happened today that I wanted to share with. To my circle of Facebook friends I posted last night that today marked one month since my operation. Naturally enough my lady read that and took note.

Fast forward to 1pm today when I am deeply involved with a consultant's presentation in our Boardroom. My mobile (cell) phone vibrates in my pocket and I discretely take it out to find that it is my lady calling. Nothing unusual as she often rings at lunchtime just to say hello. So I blocked the call and returned the phone to my pocket.

The phone vibrates again to indicate that she left a voice message, which is unusual. She would normally expect me to notice the missed call and return the call when I could. A voice message might mean something was wrong. So I discretely took the phone from my pocket and pushed the button to retrieve my voicemail and put the phone to my ear. Accidentally I bumped another button turning on the speaker.

Then right in the middle of this meeting at full volume comes the voicemail message - my lady singing Happy Birthday to my hip!!
 
Hey mike!
Glad to see how well you're doing! Back to work and all! Go you!!
Very proud and happy for you! Keep us updated, I love to read your upbeat updates! I check in to read them every day
Roxxy
 
Hi Roxxy,

Great to hear from you. I see that you are in Galway near where my family came from some eight generations ago. We are almost family. Good to know that my ravings are keeping you entertained and hopefully will provide some insight for your journey.

Take care

Mike
 
AussieMike, Thank you for coming over to my site. I will try journaling on the site. I have a journal on medicane. I need to look at it to see how far I have come. Keep up the good work. Happy 1 month birthday. Time goes by so fast before you know it you will be in full recover. Tashia
 
Thanks Tashia.

You are such a sweet and supportive member of the Bonesmart family. We are so lucky to have you.

Mike
 
CURRENT DATE: Thursday 25th October 2012
Procedure: LTHR - 24th September 2012
Post Op: 4 weeks and 1 day
Location: My apartment / My office / Aria Restaurant
Entry Weight: 78kg / 172lb
Current Weight: 74.5kg / 164Ib
Target Weight: 70kg / 154bIb

CURRENT ISSUES:
Muscle imbalances in left leg

OPERATING HOSPITAL ACHIEVEMENTS (5 days):
1. Got out of bed independently
2. Stood in place with walking frame
3. Walked 6 meters to bathroom
4. Used bathroom independently
5. Took shower seated with assistance
6. Dressed with assistance
7. Walked 30 meters with a walking frame
8. Walked 10 meters with 2 crutches
9. Walked up and down 1 step repeatedly
10. Showered standing independently
11. Dressed independently (except TED socks)
12. Walked 100 meters with 2 crutches
13. Walked up and down the 6 step mini-stairs
14. Supporting my roomie and new friend David on his journey

REHABILITATION HOSPITAL ACHIEVEMENTS (14 days):
15. Walked down and up 2 flights of stairs (total 60 stairs)
16. Hip Flexion 90 degrees
17. Hip Abduction 30 degrees
18. Making people happy and positive
19. Walking with two walking sticks
20. Walking with one walking stick
21. Commenced hydrotherapy program
22. 30 seconds of continuous kicking against the Hydrojets
23. 60 second Plank
24. Breaststroke / Backstroke in the pool
25. Slept through the night without pain relief
26. Walking leg over leg down stairs
27. Walking leg over leg up stairs
28. 6 x 60 secs Planks with 30 secs rest between reps
29. Walking leg over leg up 10 flights of stairs
30. Lost 2.5kg / 5.5lb in body weight in rehab - none of it muscle

POST HOSPITAL ACHIEVEMENTS:
31. Completed 800 meters / 875 yards footpath (pavement) walk in 7.5 mins
32. Completed 800 meters / 875 yards footpath (pavement) walk in 6 mins
33. Completed 910 meters / 995 yard walk around local park.
34. Completed 1,350 meters /1,476 yard walk around local park.
35. Lost a total of 3.5kg / 7.7lb in bodyweight since my THR.
36. Completed 2.34 km / 1.45 mile walk around local park.
37. Returned to work for an 7 hour day.
38. Returned to work for an 8 hour day.
39. One hour walking business meeting (4km approx).

CURRENT PAIN MANAGEMENT:
5mg Targin every evening at bedtime
5 mg Endone as required during the day (max 2 per day)
2 Panadol if required.
Aspirin 150mg per day


TODAY'S FOOD PLAN:
Breakfast
Boiled egg (2), Wholemeal toast (1), fresh orange juice
Lunch
Chicken sandwiches (2), black tea.
Dinner
A la carte menu - Aria Restaurant, Sydney.
broken link removed: https://www.ariarestaurant.com/default.asp?action=article&ID=21609

Appetizer - Cauliflower & caviar cold soup
Entree - Pacific Oysters in lime marinade
Main - Roast Chicken breast with a leek puree, Paris Mash, baked onion and shallots
Dessert - Australian Cheese Plate
Coffee & Petit Fours


TODAY'S FOCUS:
1. Lunchtime walk - 30 mins
2. Annual General Meeting & Directors' Dinner

NOTES:

Its a big day in the office ahead. Today is my company's Annual General Meeting (AGM) of shareholders followed by the Directors' Dinner attended by the senior management team at a leading Sydney Restaurant.

In my planning before surgery, I had planned to miss this event. I didn't think I would be up for it. However I have made a last minute decisi
on to attend as the Dinner marks the retirement of a long standing director.

The day will be at least 14 hours - 9am until 11pm. Certainly a test for any hippie at this stage of the game. Wish me luck.

03.40 Woke up at this time with a bit of an earache. Took two panadol and hopefully can get back to sleep now.

08.10 Caught some good sleep in the later part of the night. Rushing now for my first meeting of the day. Fortunately its for breakfast.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom