Guest viewing is limited

THR AussieMike returns

Status
Not open for further replies.
CURRENT DATE: Tuesday 9th October
Procedure: LTHR
Post Op: 15 days
Location: Rehabilitation Hospital
Current Weight: 76.0kg / 170Ib
Target Weight: 70kg / 154bIb

CURRENT ISSUES:
Siatic Pain
Muscle weakness in left glute
Muscle weakness in left calf

ACHIEVEMENTS TO DATE:
1. Got out of bed independently
2. Stood in place with walking frame
3. Walked 6 meters to bathroom
4. Used bathroom independently
5. Took shower seated with assistance
6. Dressed with assistance
7. Walked 30 meters with a walking frame
8. Walked 10 meters with 2 crutches
9. Walked up and down 1 step repeatedly
10. Showered standing independently
11. Dressed independently (except TED socks)
12. Walked 100 meters with 2 crutches
13. Walked up and down the 6 step mini-stairs
14. Walked down and up 2 flights of stairs (total 60 stairs)
15. Hip Flexion 90 degrees
16. Hip Abduction 30 degrees
17. Supporting my roomie and new friend David on his journey
18. Making people happy and positive
19. Walking with two walking sticks
20. Walking with one walking stick
21. Commenced hydrotherapy program
22. 30 seconds of continuous kicking against the Hydrojets
23. 60 second Plank
24. Breaststroke / Backstroke in the pool
25. Slept through the night without pain relief

CURRENT PAIN MANAGEMENT:

10 mg Targin every 12 hours
5 mg Endone every 3-4 hours upon request
2 Panadol every 6 hours
Aspirin 150mg per day
Ice packs as required

TODAY'S FOOD PLAN:

Breakfast
Corn flakes, fruit yoghurt, wholemeal toast (2), orange juice, black tea.
Lunch
Beef lasagne, side salad, fresh fruit, orange juice.
Dinner
Pork fillet with ginger, seasonal vegetables, fruit yoghurt, orange juice

TODAY'S FOCUS:
1. Hydrotherapy session @ 9am
2. Physio session @ 10am
3. Physio session @ 1pm
4. Walk around block @ 4pm

NOTES:

06.57 For the first time since my operation 15 days ago, I have been able to sleep through the night without waking for pain relief. What was the secret to my success? Well there wasn't one really. Just that my body has healed sufficiently to allow this to happen. It makes such a difference though!

11.07 Had a good physio session and hydrotherapy session this morning. Started a little stiff and needed 5mg Endone to relieve the onset of pain. I was able to complete all the exercises - hip adbuctors, hip flexors, hip raises, sit to stand, wall squats. My range of motion has now reached the desired targets of 90 degrees hip flexion and 30 degrees hip abduction on the operated leg.

1.51 Attended the afternoon physio session. It just a thirty minute session of stretches to encourage strength development and range of movement. But I think back to just a week ago when this session used to kill me. I would stop with strong glute pain before the session was complete. Now its easy for me. You have to like that.

17.36 Three members of my company's executive team took time out this afternoon to come and visit me. Its always nice to have visitors when you are in hospital and this occasion was no exception. However one member of this team who I have mentored for the past six years said two things that made my day. First she said "I can believe you are standing perfectly straight". and if that wasn't enough she later said "Gee you have lost weight."

Well for those who read this journal will know that weight loss is one of my aims as I reclaim my health following surgery. I have been eating clean as you would also know. I have done as much exercise as is sensible and its great when someone else can see what you have been doing has made a visible difference.

20.57 Struggling to find a comfortable position in bed tonight after two weeks lying on my back. The pressure is starting to take its toll. I asked a nurse about a coccyx pillow. She told me that these are no longer in vogue and that I should place a pillow under on glute at a time and then rotate. I have tried this but with little relief. Any suggestions?
 
Mike,

That is great that you see opportunity in the PT room! I too, looked for opportunities to brighten up people's day, and one day a lady came in who had back surgery to remove several crushed vertebrae but the problem was she had a massive infection inside, so they sent her to PT to strengthen before they did the rest of the surgery. When she first came in she was crying at PT. I wheeled over to her and started chatting with her. Before long, we were best buddies. The place got lively when I wheeled through the door because the patients never knew what I was going to do next! I am working on my Masters in Conflict Resolution and Reconciliation and the rehab offered me a job! :)

It was an honor to be asked but I live too far away, and my hubby might not like having to move. :umm:
 
Hey aussiemike, I'm not sure if I checked in with you since your surgery. Wow you seem to be doing fantastic, well done! I have a little more recovery to get behind me before I am at your stage but I'll get there! You seem to be doing great with PT and your positive state of mind can only help things! Again, all the best for your already amazing recovery!
R
 
Hi Roxxy

Great to hear from you. Of course you will get there. Everyone's journey is unique. What do you find the most difficult at this stage? For me its being patient. I hurt myself yesterday rushing to get dressed for PT. All part of the process I suppose. You learn to listen to your body or it slaps you.

I imagine you sitting by the window, gazing over the waters of the bay in Galway. I will be back some day.

Hope your recovery continues well for you.

Kind regards

Mike
 
I am so glad you got a whole night sleep. It does feel so good and I know more are to come. I really feel you are having such a good experience is you are planning your day and yes patience is the sercet. Don't feel bad if you get restless and find you need to get back to patience. It happen to us all. Take care Tashia
 
Major milestone - sleeping through the night! :egypdance: Could be you are tired from all that PT and hydro! Well done!
 
Struggling to find a comfortable position in bed tonight after two weeks lying on my back. The pressure is starting to take its toll. I asked a nurse about a coccyx pillow. She told me that these are no longer in vogue and that I should place a pillow under one glute at a time and then rotate. I have tried this but with little relief. Any suggestions?
 
CURRENT DATE: Wednesday 10th October
Procedure: LTHR
Post Op: 16 days
Location: Rehabilitation Hospital
Current Weight: 76.0kg / 170Ib
Target Weight: 70kg / 154bIb

CURRENT ISSUES:
Siatic Pain
Muscle weakness in left glute
Muscle weakness in left calf

ACHIEVEMENTS TO DATE:
1. Got out of bed independently
2. Stood in place with walking frame
3. Walked 6 meters to bathroom
4. Used bathroom independently
5. Took shower seated with assistance
6. Dressed with assistance
7. Walked 30 meters with a walking frame
8. Walked 10 meters with 2 crutches
9. Walked up and down 1 step repeatedly
10. Showered standing independently
11. Dressed independently (except TED socks)
12. Walked 100 meters with 2 crutches
13. Walked up and down the 6 step mini-stairs
14. Walked down and up 2 flights of stairs (total 60 stairs)
15. Hip Flexion 90 degrees
16. Hip Abduction 30 degrees
17. Supporting my roomie and new friend David on his journey
18. Making people happy and positive
19. Walking with two walking sticks
20. Walking with one walking stick
21. Commenced hydrotherapy program
22. 30 seconds of continuous kicking against the Hydrojets
23. 60 second Plank
24. Breaststroke / Backstroke in the pool
25. Slept through the night without pain relief
26. Walking leg over leg down stairs
27. Walking leg over leg up stairs
28. 6 x 60 secs Planks with 30 secs rest between reps

CURRENT PAIN MANAGEMENT:

10 mg Targin every 12 hours
5 mg Endone every 3-4 hours upon request
2 Panadol every 6 hours
Aspirin 150mg per day
Ice packs as required

TODAY'S FOOD PLAN:

Breakfast
Porridge, wholemeal toast with honey (1), orange juice.
Lunch
Assorted sandwiches, fruit plate, strawberries (6), orange juice.
Dinner
Broccoli & bacon soup, roast beef with seasonal vegetables, fruit plate, pineapple juice.

TODAY'S FOCUS:
1. Hydrotherapy session @ 9am
2. Physio session @ 11am
3. Physio session @ 1pm
4. Walk around block @ 4pm

NOTES:

07.02 Another good night's rest. Not uninterrupted sleep like the previous night, but nonetheless it was restful. I have to find a way to relieve the pressure on my lower back before they become pressure sores. Any advice appreciated.

10.28 A very enjoyable hydrotherapy session first thing after breakfast. A great way to start the day. I will miss this pool when I go home on the weekend but I am only a short drive from a public pool so there will be no excuses.

11.54 Ripped up the physio session at 11am today. Not only is the range of motion improving each day but the leg abduction at 30 degrees is almost without any pain. I am now walking up and down stairs leg over leg. This was not such a big step to take as I imagined it would be. Walking upstairs is much harder for me as it relies upon my glute to drive the bodyweight up the step and my left glute struggles with the load. So the walking stick is doing a lot of the work bringing the left leg forward. I will do extra practise on this today to see if I can get some strength into that glute.

13.35 Finished afternoon physio session in some pain. Have requested 5mg Endone. Saw Rehab Specialist and I am on track for release on Saturday. Woo hoo!!

17.35 You know you have been in Rehab for a while when you have a favourite dinner. Broccoli and bacon soup - yumm!

17.40 The quantity of pain relief I require on a daily basis continues to decline. It seems that I can get through a day including all my physio activities with just 2 or 3 Endone tablets (5mg). This was the same amount I was taking every 3-4 hours on my first day post op.

18.15 Two more of my staff called in on their way home from work. They are so lovely. We have known each other for so long we were able to recall when they visited me in rehab after heart bypass surgery in 2002. I am very fortunate.

21.15 My younger son Ben dropped in and brought my joggers and set them up with elastic shoe laces. They are much more comfortable than the footwear I had here. Hopefully they will allow me to walk longer distances in the local streets.
 
***ADVICE PLEASE***ADVICE PLEASE***ADVICE PLEASE***ADVICE PLEASE***ADVICE PLEASE***ADVICE PLEASE***

Dear Bonesmart Angelsâ„¢,

I need your wisdom. I am leaving the rehab hospital on Saturday morning and heading to my No 1 Angel's place for a week. As you know, I like to plan everything I do and sometimes my enthusiasm gets me in trouble. I have been thinking about the next three weeks before I reach the six week post op date and have less restrictions than what I can do.

I know I am not ready to return to the gym and don't want to go there until I am able to use the equipment there. So I have been thinking about hiring a Elliptical Cross Trainer machine for a month similar to the one in this photo.

[Bonesmart.org] AussieMike returns

My logic here is as follows 1) the movement does not break any movement restrictions 2) I can start very slowly and rebuild fitness 3) the action will help to strengthen my glute muscles which are my greatest weakness right now 4) it is easier than walking

Do you think this is a wise idea?

Thanks

Mike
 
Hi Mike, I would wait to do any gym type work until your 6 week followup appointment. At least that was my surgeon's instruction. At 6 weeks all restrictions were lifted and I was allowed back in the gym using the machines with no resistance. I was allowed to start adding resistance very slowly.

Your situation is very good but you are not yet back into normal living. That in itself takes energy. See what your energy levels are when you are doing everything for yourself and then start adding activity. I know it's hard - but slow and steady gets you the results.
 
Thanks Jaycey for your sage advice. It wasn't what I wanted to hear as you would know but I respect the knowledge and experience you so freely provide. It seems to me like I have done everything and learned all that I needed to here in rehab. I am ready to go home well satisfied with my progress to this point.
 
CURRENT DATE: Thursday 11th October
Procedure: LTHR
Post Op: 17 days
Location: Rehabilitation Hospital
Entry Weight: 78kg / 172lb
Current Weight: 75.8kg / 167Ib
Target Weight: 70kg / 154bIb

CURRENT ISSUES:
Incision pain
Muscle weakness in left glute

ACHIEVEMENTS TO DATE:
1. Got out of bed independently
2. Stood in place with walking frame
3. Walked 6 meters to bathroom
4. Used bathroom independently
5. Took shower seated with assistance
6. Dressed with assistance
7. Walked 30 meters with a walking frame
8. Walked 10 meters with 2 crutches
9. Walked up and down 1 step repeatedly
10. Showered standing independently
11. Dressed independently (except TED socks)
12. Walked 100 meters with 2 crutches
13. Walked up and down the 6 step mini-stairs
14. Walked down and up 2 flights of stairs (total 60 stairs)
15. Hip Flexion 90 degrees
16. Hip Abduction 30 degrees
17. Supporting my roomie and new friend David on his journey
18. Making people happy and positive
19. Walking with two walking sticks
20. Walking with one walking stick
21. Commenced hydrotherapy program
22. 30 seconds of continuous kicking against the Hydrojets
23. 60 second Plank
24. Breaststroke / Backstroke in the pool
25. Slept through the night without pain relief
26. Walking leg over leg down stairs
27. Walking leg over leg up stairs
28. 6 x 60 secs Planks with 30 secs rest between reps
29. Walking leg over leg up 10 flights of stairs

CURRENT PAIN MANAGEMENT:

5mg Targin every 12 hours
5 mg Endone every 3-4 hours upon request
2 Panadol every 6 hours
Aspirin 150mg per day
Ice packs as required

TODAY'S FOOD PLAN:

Breakfast
All bran, skim milk, wholemeal toast (2), marmalade, orange juice, black tea.
Lunch
Assorted sandwiches, fruit plate, orange juice.
Dinner
Hearty beef and vegetable soup, chicken stir fry, fruit plate.


TODAY'S FOCUS:

1. Physio session @ 9am
2. Hydrotherapy session @ 10am
3. Walking up 10 flights of stairs leg over leg @ 11.30am
4. Physio session @ 1pm
5. Walking up 10 flights of stairs leg over leg @ 19.30pm

NOTES:

07.06 A reasonable night's sleep waking only on three occasions. Today is a little cool here and I suspect that is why my hip is aching a little more than normal. Wish I had my good old heat bag.

08.33 Had a sneaky little nap to get warm before going to the hydrotherapy pool. Its funny how warmth and ice both work to battle the aches and pains.

11.06 Had the daily physio routine first thing after breakfast this morning followed by the hydrotherapy pool. Every day the range of motion improves, the ability to hold the stretches improves and nothing causes aches and pains. I feel like I am getting a good training effect and can carry this on at home. I think I have timed my departure perfectly.

11.57 Had a discussion with the GP regarding my pain management regime. We agreed to reduce the slow release pain relief Targin from 10mg twice daily to 5mg twice daily and adjust to my needs using Endone.

16.32 A pleasant afternoon with a PT session at 1pm and 10 flights of stairs later in the afternoon. The stairs are a bit of challenge and I needed the ice pack afterwards. A restful afternoon with a social get-together.

20.00 Feeling really flat tonight. I think I over did my exercise regime on the stairs today. It is so easy to push to far in rehab. Also been over medicated for constipation. Hoping a good night's sleep will make all the difference.
 
Sounds like you are really doing wonderful Mike. Glad to hear that you are headed home this weekend. I really enjoy reading your daily progress reports. I think you made a wise decision in going to rehab. You are much farther along with your exercises than I am and I'm sure that is why. I'm starting out patient PT today and hope to catch right up to you! Best of luck with your journey.
 
hi Chris,

Great you hear you are starting on your outpatient PT. I have been down that road in recovering from heart surgery in 2002 and it is highly effective. I am sure you will be successful so long as you are consistent in what you do. Keeping the journal you have been reading here is a key part of my consistency. Its so easy to let things slide if you don't keep records. I intend to continue my journal after I leave the rehab hospital until I reach 6 weeks post op. In that way, people can follow my entire journey from the operating theatre to the first tee at the golf club.

Good luck Chris - I will be interested to follow your success.

Mike
 
Great news that you are heading home Mike, it's so nice to be in your own environment, how fast has that gone? Lucky you being able to get a good nights sleep, I envy but don't begrudge! Can't wait for the day I can sleep without sleeping pills. :dancy:Lesley
 
Mike, I just noticed in your most recent report you are taking the stairs normally! :yikes: Wow - it took most of us months to get to that point. Very well done my friend!
 
Good morning Jaycey,

Thanks for your encouragement. About 3-4 days ago one of my PT suggested I try going downstairs in the normal fashion (leg over leg). Until this point I had not considered it. Whilst I found stairs relatively easy, I had assumed that I would puddle up and down them until the end of week 6.

So I found going downstairs leg over leg easier than step by step. Then 2 days ago my PT suggested that I try going upstairs the same way. I was surprised but was able to do it. Mind you going up was a lot harder than going downstairs in this manner. The lack of strength in the operated glute is the challenge here.

I should point out that the PT team were carefully monitoring my walking performance each day; We had done additional work on stairs (as I have 32 stairs at home); I am quite strong in the legs since I was able to continue to use a stationery recumbent cycle up to 30 mins per day until the day before surgery.


Cheers

Mike
 
Great news that you are heading home Mike, it's so nice to be in your own environment, how fast has that gone? Lucky you being able to get a good nights sleep, I envy but don't begrudge! Can't wait for the day I can sleep without sleeping pills. :dancy:Lesley

Hi Lesley,

Yes I am looking forward to leaving the routines of the rehabilitation hospital, especially the night nurse who opens the door and shines a torch in your face to see if you are asleep.

If it makes you feel better, I have had only one full night's sleep but overall it is getting better and better. Personally I can't bring myself to take sleeping tablets. Just a personal preference.

I hope things improve for you soon.

Kind regards

Mike
 
Great to hear how well you are doing Mike. I wish you lots of luck with the weight loss as his is one of my goals too :-) I am at my heaviest but have stayed at that weight for about 12 months. I'm enjoying being able to do exercise as part of physio and getting out walking
 
Hi Stephie,

Great to hear from you. Its always nice to see your happy smiling face pop up!

I feel very lucky that I have been able to drop 2.2kg / 5lb since the operation. I am quietly confident that I can lose the rest pretty quickly as my activity level increases. For me there were two aspects to the weight gain. First and most obvious was a gradual decline in exercise ability and secondly my use of food for energy and pleasure in the face of constant pain. As you know that is a very tough way to live.

But you and me my friend have a rosy future with the ability to lead an active life. Good luck to you with your goal. Let me know how you go.

cheers

Mike
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom