Guest viewing is limited

THR AussieMike returns

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mike, What happens when they ask you those questions? I assume you say something like... I feel tired, I am resting... ??

I can honestly tell you that at 11 days, which was the day I went home, all I could do for the next few weeks, was walk around the house with my walker, bathroom, kitchen, bed to chair and sleep..

So after sessions like you are having, you are entitled to lay down and rest.. Remember the military saying R & R = rest and recover...

You are doing everything right for your recovery journey.. Be sure though if you are getting too tired, you may need to rest more.. Don't want you overdoing things :)
 
I am very conscious not to overdo things Poppet and that is why I do rest until I feel rested. Unfortunately the day staff who ask such questions don't see what the night staff see. I am awake for most of every night. I average 3-4 hours of poor quality sleep between 9pm and 7am. As you know sleep deprivation takes its toll too.

Thank heavens I have support of you guys on Bonesmart and my lady. These people start to make me feel judged. But ultimately I will do what is right for me.
 
Mike, tell the day staff you are trying to make up for the lack of sleep at night. Keep repeating this. You are doing a great deal for only 11 days out. That and the lack of sleep must be exhausting. Rest my friend. And plug your ears when those stupid questions start.
 
Love Jayceys suggestion.. to tell the day staff, that you don't sleep at night and have to catch a rest and a nap when you can..

iPod ... Love my MAC toys.. iPad, Mac Notebook Pro, iPod and my latest.. Da da! MacAir ..

Must admit though, I get frustrated with my iPad with the auto fill.. looks like I can't spell.. Always having to go back and edit. I have even turned the auto fill off, still does it.. Gremlins .... Grrrrr!
 
Indeed Poppet the Apple technology is lovely and they all work seamlessly together. I really think the iPad is great product from which to absorb information but isn't really suited to the creation of data. I am test driving the iPad 3 whilst in rehab in combination with the Kensington blue tooth keyboard. They work well together but it doesn't solve the auto fill issue to which you refer.
 
CURRENT DATE: Saturday 6th October
Procedure: LTHR
Post Op: 12 days
Location: Rehabilitation Hospital
Current Weight: 76.5kg / 170Ib
Target Weight: 70kg / 154bIb

CURRENT ISSUES:
Siatic Pain
Muscle weakness in left glute
Muscle weakness in left calf

ACHIEVEMENTS TO DATE:
1. Got out of bed independently
2. Stood in place with walking frame
3. Walked 6 meters to bathroom
4. Used bathroom independently
5. Took shower seated with assistance
6. Dressed with assistance
7. Walked 30 meters with a walking frame
8. Walked 10 meters with 2 crutches
9. Walked up and down 1 step repeatedly
10. Showered standing independently
11. Dressed independently (except TED socks)
12. Walked 100 meters with 2 crutches
13. Walked up and down the 6 step mini-stairs
14. Walked down and up 2 flights of stairs (total 60 stairs)
15. Hip Flexion 90 degrees
16. Hip Abduction 30 degrees
17. Supporting my roomie and new friend David on his journey
18. Making people happy and positive
19. Walking with two walking sticks
20. Walking with one walking stick
21. Commenced hydrotherapy program
22. 30 seconds of continuous kicking against the Hydrojets
23. 60 second Plank

CURRENT PAIN MANAGEMENT:

Targin every 12 hours
5 mg Endone every 3-4 hours upon request
Gabapentin every 12 hours
Panadol every 6 hours
Aspirin 150mg per day
Ice packs as required

TODAY'S FOOD PLAN:

Breakfast
Porridge, scrambled eggs, wholemeal toast, orange juice, coffee.
*** Picnic Lunch ***
Entree - Oysters natural
Main - king prawns, avocado salad, seafood salad, crusty bread rolls, Perrier sparkling water
Dessert - Surprise!!

Dinner


TODAY'S FOCUS:
1. Physio session @ 9am
2. Hydrotherapy session @ 10am
3. Walk around block @ 2pm

NOTES:

06.08 An improved night's sleep with four hours of uninterrupted sleep between 2am and 6am. Today being Saturday has only one Physio session commencing at 9am. I am looking forward to a planned picnic lunch in the grounds of the Hospital with my lady after that. Check out Today's food plan for details.

10.50 We had a 9am session in the hydrotherapy pool this morning. It really gets the aches and pains out of those joints. We work more extensively with the hydrojets this morning challenging core muscles was well as range of motion and strength movements for hips and legs.

12.11 I have had advice that the caterer has now completed the purchasing and our lunch is being delivered for a one o'clock reservation on the balcony. Bring it on!!

14.13 Had a lovely seafood lunch on my balcony under cloudy skies!! Yummy.
 
Well, I echo everyone else's approval that you should stay. Sounds like a nice hotel - can I come and stay for a week or so?
 
Hi Mike

Check out BOM.. You may have to revise the outdoor picnic.. We have a large rain band over the south coast.. although you maybe lucky.. hope you are :)

What do you think of the iPad 3 so far?

Our techo's at work are 50/50 divided between MS and Apple... They come into my office and have some lively debates.. and don't get them started on iPhone and Androids... They never leave.. I have to get rid of the comfy lounge I have there I think... I have a wonderful team though!
 
Well, I echo everyone else's approval that you should stay. Sounds like a nice hotel - can I come and stay for a week or so?

You would be more than welcome here anytime Josephine. (Can I take a video?)
 
Hi Mike

Check out BOM.. You may have to revise the outdoor picnic.. We have a large rain band over the south coast.. although you maybe lucky.. hope you are :)

What do you think of the iPad 3 so far?

Our techo's at work are 50/50 divided between MS and Apple... They come into my office and have some lively debates.. and don't get them started on iPhone and Androids... They never leave.. I have to get rid of the comfy lounge I have there I think... I have a wonderful team though!


We have revised the picnic plan - we have decided to dine on our exclusive Parisian balcony overlooking the gardens. So romantic with that light misty rain painting jewels on the flowerbeds below...

The iPad has about 68% market overall and when you look at why it comes down to seamless integration and consistency of experience. Without training a 4 year old can drive it - Apple actually did some Alpha testing with pre-school kids particularly on games app, storybook user experience, etc. For the home market it leverages off the existing Apple ID, Apple Store, iTunes and iPod. The fact that Apple is a quality control point for apps available for its platform ensures a quality experience in the main.

For the business market it comes down to where your current investment is and how well it integrates. Issues with integration with mail, calendar, office automation software may compel companies to chose to maintain the MS / Android solution. Apple has certainly worked hard to eliminate these issues and its fair to say that Android is not a good platform for integration as its dwindling market share reflects.

The whole Apple vs MS debate is now largely irrelevant. On the desktop it is easy enough to support both as business systems tend towards browser based deployment. Apple seems to be getting out of the server environment which is probably a sensible strategic move. It was never a strength. With the trend towards virtualisation and cloud based services the desktop machine has become a matter of choice in some Fortune 500 environments.

You have to love your team - I certainly love mine. Its all about the debate and the intellectual rigor. Keep the lounge and get a scoreboard...
 
My dear Bonesmart Angels,

I have been using just one walking stick for a few days now and find this easy enough. Is it okay for me to start walking short distances without any assistance? For instance, walking along my corridor without stairs.

As long as I don't limp in doing so, do you think its benefitial for me to try some of this kind of exercise? Are there any disadvantages?

Thanks in advance,

Mike
 
Hi Mike

I would suggest that you check this with your PT as to when they consider you can walk unassisted.

I recall the first time I tried, I was a bit wonky and only walked 10 - 15 steps along my hallway, with SO in front of me... just in case... But you are a lot fitter than I was..

You will know when you are ready to transition, unaided, but suggest you have the walking stick in your hand (more for reassurance) and someone with you.

I think with the progress and the level of activity you are undertaking you are going to recover quite quickly... but... and I am absolutely positive Jo would support my view.. There are still so many different layers of healing to occur.. bone, muscle, ligaments, soft tissue etc... so even though I sense your eagerness and appreciate that you are keen to work at your recovery, one's internal environment will still take it's own time to heal... we have no control over that and it cannot be rushed.. (I know you understand this, but sometimes it is good to be reminded) .. :)
 
Try it indoors for a few days and see how it goes. So long as you feel confident and don't limp you should be fine.
 
CURRENT DATE: Sunday 7th October
Procedure: LTHR
Post Op: 13 days
Location: Rehabilitation Hospital
Current Weight: 76.5kg / 170Ib
Target Weight: 70kg / 154bIb

CURRENT ISSUES:
Siatic Pain
Muscle weakness in left glute
Muscle weakness in left calf

ACHIEVEMENTS TO DATE:
1. Got out of bed independently
2. Stood in place with walking frame
3. Walked 6 meters to bathroom
4. Used bathroom independently
5. Took shower seated with assistance
6. Dressed with assistance
7. Walked 30 meters with a walking frame
8. Walked 10 meters with 2 crutches
9. Walked up and down 1 step repeatedly
10. Showered standing independently
11. Dressed independently (except TED socks)
12. Walked 100 meters with 2 crutches
13. Walked up and down the 6 step mini-stairs
14. Walked down and up 2 flights of stairs (total 60 stairs)
15. Hip Flexion 90 degrees
16. Hip Abduction 30 degrees
17. Supporting my roomie and new friend David on his journey
18. Making people happy and positive
19. Walking with two walking sticks
20. Walking with one walking stick
21. Commenced hydrotherapy program
22. 30 seconds of continuous kicking against the Hydrojets
23. 60 second Plank
24. Breaststroke / Backstroke in the pool

CURRENT PAIN MANAGEMENT:

Targin every 12 hours
5 mg Endone every 3-4 hours upon request
Gabapentin every 12 hours
Panadol every 6 hours
Aspirin 150mg per day
Ice packs as required

TODAY'S FOOD PLAN:

Breakfast
Muesli, Yoghurt, wholemeal toast, orange juice, coffee.
Lunch
Assorted sandwiches, fruit, apple juice, black tea
Dinner
Sweet potato soup, roast lamb, corn, potato, brocolli, fresh fruit, apple juice

TODAY'S FOCUS:
1. Hydrotherapy session @ 9am
2. Walk around block @ 2pm

NOTES:

11.57 Had a fantastic session in the pool this morning where I could feel the real freedom of movement for the first time. Very little tightness in hip flexion to 90 degrees. Swam against the hydrojets. Did a bit of breaststroke and backstroke. My confidence in my body's abilities are building rapidly.

2.24 Before my hydrotherapy session this morning, I needed my waterproof dressing replaced as it was lifting around the edges. The nurse very kindly cleared my incision for the first time before doing the redressing. So for the first time I got to see the actual incision. You won't believe it - the darn thing is almost healed!! Both sides have knitted together very well and there are only two spots with a little blood remaining. Isn't the body's ability to repair itself amazing?

6.28 A lazy Sunday afternoon eaten up by chatting with visitor and resting. It is quite deceptive how much energy those hydrotherapy sessions take out of me. But there are so worth it!
 
Hi RestAssured,

Don't you think for one minute that you knee people are the only ones having fun! We hippies know how to let our hair down too. But seriously Sonja, I am a very fortunate man. My recovery has been very good. I can put it down to a number of things - a very good surgeon; a good hospital with supportive staff; knowledgeable physio staff who are highly motivated by helping you achieve success; and sound preparation on my part.

If I was advising someone three months before surgery I would tell them three things:

1. Make a real concerted effort to remain active in any way you can. It doesn't matter so much what you do. It more about keeping your body moving in every way you can. In my case I was able to use a recumbent stationary bike without pain and used it to good effect to keep my thigh and calf muscles in shape. I also used a Swiss ball to assist me do stretching each day. In addition, I used an inversion table to relieve the bone on bone pressure on my left hip.

2. Learn as much as you can about what lies ahead of you. There is NO BETTER PLACE to do this than right here at BoneSmart. It is so rich in knowledge and experience.

3. Get your support team together and make sure they know what to expect. Help them to understand that in the early days the recovery process is all about pain management, elevation and ice for the incision and slow progression of activity.

Cheers

Mike
 
Hey AussieMike,

Poppet invited me over for some fun! I am sure that you "hippies" know how to have a good time too. Our surgery's are different, and I don't know how long the normal return to a full recovery is for a hip, but I came to learn and to laugh! :happydance: I am a very shy person after all, so I am just expanding my horizon! :whistle:
 
Yes I read on someone else's thread that Poppet was behind your presence here. What can I say - you hang round with the best of company. Poppet is a legend.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom