Guest viewing is limited

THR AussieMike returns

Status
Not open for further replies.
I love what you wrote above. Most people are doing their best they can at any given moment and it's always good to accept that rather than wish they were different.

I am one week post op today! I am working hard to recover and yesterday walked about a mile total with crutches. Pain is such a pesky thing. The pain I used to live with was so unpredictable. I could be walking along and have a sharp stabbing pain that would make me have to sit down. The pain I have now is predictable, but so tiring. Keep up the good fight. Just reading your story is so inspiring.

I am also making the most of this experience ( hip surgery ) to learn new healthy habits. I have been watching what and how much I eat. Still not down to pre op weight, but losing a little everyday. Baby steps.

Wishing you and your fellow rehabers (new word) the very best!
 
Thanks AussieMike for such a detailed report as you progress! I am set for my Hippy Halloween and have been purusing the forums for all the info I can get. The information you have provided is a great way for those of us still on "this side" to get an idea of what to expect. Every time my throat starts to close with nerves, I remind myself that I have done all the prework I can. Let it go to the Drs hands, the nurses care and my positive mindset. I am glad your journey has finally found you "home" at your ladys where the pampering will continue. I bet she will also sneak you cheese and biscuits late at night and deliver them with a kiss! I am blessed that a good friend will come be with me through the surgery and my first week home. She is not a pamperer, more nurse Ratchet, but I know she will make sure I am safe and well and I can't ask for more than that. Well maybe a chocolate shake and a foot rub...haven't found a volunteer for that job yet!
Stay well and moving!
 
Hi HippyShani,

I am glad you have found my reports useful. Your positive mindset, a good surgeon and a good support network are three most important assets to have. Nurse Ratchet will work just fine for you as she is really there to do the things you can't do for yourself and to ensure you don't over extend yourself too soon.

I understand your nervousness. Its very normal - if there is anything else you want to know about the journey and can't find answers to, feel free to ask me.

kind regards

Mike
 
Hi Mike,
Just want to tell you how much of an inspiration you have been. I'm scheduled for LTHR in January and scared to death! Reading your posts have given me hope that I can handle this procedure.

I have a daughter who is a competitive dancer and this requires a lot of my help. Her season starts in March and I know I won't be 100%, but I'm hoping to at least be able to be there to help her hair & makeup. The stress of not knowing how long it will be before I'm able to function is overwhelming.

Thank you again for all your posts, humor and insight. Good luck on the remainder of your journey!
:)
 
Hi ilovefall,

I am glad my posts have been of benefit to you. I had the advantage of having had major surgery before - heart surgery in 2002. This largely answered a lot of the unknowns for me. Recognise that you are scared of the unknown and that knowledge is your best friend.

Bonesmart is a great support and source of knowledge as you have already found. I would also encourage you to attend the pre op session at your hospital as soon as you are able as it will answer so many of the specific questions for you.

Like you I have a child who is a competitor. My son Ben is an Iron Man and triathlete and I have never missed a race for him. I will miss my first race in two weeks as the event is 600 km upstate. His elder brother is going to fill the role of support. My point is that people are very supportive. In your daughter's case, you will be there. You will be an emotional support. I am sure that others will help with the physical stuff. You only have to explain your situation and ask. People are amazingly generous as this forum proves.

I can't tell you how long your journey will take in weeks and days, but what I can tell you is that it will take as long as your body needs. It is so important that you respect your body's needs to heal and adjust. Only by doing this will you be the best you can be for the future - exactly what you deserve and your daughter needs.

Good luck to you and if you have any questions you think I can help with - don't be shy.

Kind regards

Mike
 
Mike, I understand completely about the demands of executive positions.....I had that myself in my past work life. Ahhhhh.....I must say retirement is SO MUCH MORE FUN!!

I'll take a good look at your completed journal once you have done your last post. I do think it could be useful as a library article. If we don't do that, it will get buried in the history as new threads come online. That would be a real shame!

As far as you continuing to help others, I agree with Jaycey. Help comes in many forms. Not everyone has to be a medical expert or able to spout technical information. Quality support can come from someone who has been through the surgery and experienced recovery first hand. The qualities I like about your posts are your organization, writing style and the sense of humor you always sneak in to make reading enjoyable. That will always be welcome here on BoneSmart, even if you just pop in now and then to let us know how you're doing. Please know you will ALWAYS be welcome!!

I'll especially encourage you to stop in each year on New Year's Eve. We throw a huge online party and enjoy chatting with members who are years out from their surgery. It's like Old Home Week for those of us who have spent time on the forum.
 
Hi Jamie,

Great to read that you find retirement so much fun! I come across so many people who retire and find it hard to have a purpose or to feel like they make a difference.

I am more than happy for you to make whatever use of my completed journal you feel would help. It was certainly a pleasure to create and was a real tool that has helped me focus on my own journey. Rest assured Bonesmart will remain a bookmark of mine and I will return to keep you informed of anything that may be of interest. NYE sounds like a hoot - I will be sure to bring a bottle or two.

Thanks again for your kindness and assistance,

Mike
 
By now I think you are now home. When I got home I had to be careful not to overdue it. It is so nice to be home and you don't have to wake up unless you want to at night. You might need to take your medication around the clock, I know you know this but its so good to be out of the hospital and to have the private room without people coming and going. Make sure you rest and don't overdue it. Take care and do be careful. Tashia
 
Hi Tashia,

It is good to be home. I have had a pretty lazy day compared to what I have been doing in the rehab facility. I have organised my medication into individual containers each marked with the time of day it is to be taken. I have then set repeating alarms on my phone to remind me to take the medication on time.

My main focus for the day was an 800 metre (875 yard) walk near home which includes a section with an incline. It proved to be a good distance as I just started to feel tightness in the abductor of the operated leg in the final 200 metres. I intend to repeat this walk each afternoon taking note of the time it takes to reach the half way mark. (7 mins today).

I will include a pool session tomorrow and of course I continue to do my range of motion exercises particularly those that stretch the calves and hip flexors which are my particular weak points.

Thanks for your kind words,

Mike
 
CURRENT DATE: Sunday 14th October 2012
Procedure: LTHR - 24th September 2012
Post Op: 20 days
Location: My Lady's home
Entry Weight: 78kg / 172lb
Current Weight: 75.5kg / 166Ib
Target Weight: 70kg / 154bIb

CURRENT ISSUES:
Incision pain
Muscle weakness in left glute

OPERATING HOSPITAL ACHIEVEMENTS (5 days):
1. Got out of bed independently
2. Stood in place with walking frame
3. Walked 6 meters to bathroom
4. Used bathroom independently
5. Took shower seated with assistance
6. Dressed with assistance
7. Walked 30 meters with a walking frame
8. Walked 10 meters with 2 crutches
9. Walked up and down 1 step repeatedly
10. Showered standing independently
11. Dressed independently (except TED socks)
12. Walked 100 meters with 2 crutches
13. Walked up and down the 6 step mini-stairs
14. Supporting my roomie and new friend David on his journey

REHABILITATION HOSPITAL ACHIEVEMENTS (14 days):
15. Walked down and up 2 flights of stairs (total 60 stairs)
16. Hip Flexion 90 degrees
17. Hip Abduction 30 degrees
18. Making people happy and positive
19. Walking with two walking sticks
20. Walking with one walking stick
21. Commenced hydrotherapy program
22. 30 seconds of continuous kicking against the Hydrojets
23. 60 second Plank
24. Breaststroke / Backstroke in the pool
25. Slept through the night without pain relief
26. Walking leg over leg down stairs
27. Walking leg over leg up stairs
28. 6 x 60 secs Planks with 30 secs rest between reps
29. Walking leg over leg up 10 flights of stairs
30. Lost 2.5kg / 5.5lb in bodyweight in rehab - none of it muscle

POST HOSPITAL ACHIEVEMENTS:
31. Completed 800 meters / 875 yards footpath (pavement) walk in 7.5 mins
32. Completed 800 meters / 875 yards footpath (pavement) walk in 6 mins

CURRENT PAIN MANAGEMENT:
5mg Targin every 12 hours
5 mg Endone every 5-6 hours if needed
2 Panadol every 6 hours
Aspirin 150mg per day
Ice packs as required

TODAY'S FOOD PLAN:
Breakfast
Sultana Bran, skim milk, banana, boiled egg (1), wholemeal toast (1), lemon & ginger tea.
Lunch
Tomato and zucchini quiche, coldslaw, black tea.
Dinner
Beef steak sandwich


TODAY'S FOCUS:
1. Independent Physio exercises @ 10am
2. Hydrotherapy session at local pool @ 11am
3. Local district out and back walk @ 5pm

NOTES:
8.59 My first night spent at home was very up and down. Similar to many nights in rehab I managed my best sleep at the exhaustion point around 3am until dawn.

There are a number of things that are different about sleeping at home. Firstly the bed. It has no magic remote control to change your sleeping position. Second it has no overhead bar which can be used to pull yourself to an upright position before getting out of bed. These things are only minor of course.

The most unsatisfactory thing about being in bed with your partner after a THR replacement is the fact that you can't spoon!! Forget about sleeping on your side, I can deal with that. But what about cuddling? After three weeks in hospitals this is most cruel.

10.22 This morning I got to do one of the things I missed most whilst in hospital. I had a warm soaking bubble bath. It was so relaxing. Yes getting in and out of the bath is not something that everyone could do. It takes a deal of upper body strength to do this without breaking the 90 degree rule.

12.44 I completed my hydrotherapy session at the local pool. Not exactly my idea of a heated pool. You quickly realise how well controlled things are in the Rehab Hospital. I don't know if it was the colder water or the intensity of the session but I am very tired right now.

16.22 An afternoon spent snoozing and I feel rested again. Heading out for my afternoon walk shortly.

17.06 Finished the afternoon walk in three minutes less time than yesterday. No its not a race but it is a measure of leg strength to be able to walk the same route in less time.
 
Hi Mike, welcome home. Now it's all about finding the balance. Allow yourself those "lazy days". They really aren't lazy at all. Your body needs a balance and rest and activity. Plan an activity and then allow time for rest and recovery so you can start again - and move forward. Bet you miss all that great food!
 
Hi Jaycey,

Sounds like great advice to me. So for Sunday I have planned a morning activity at the pool and a late afternoon walk. This works in with the times my pain medication is due so that I can ensure that my efforts are not impacted by a rise in pain levels.

I do miss the discipline of the food in a hospital. Not having a pantry or a fridge in my hospital room is actually a great feature. Now I have to rely upon my sense of commitment to my eating plan.

Cheers

Mike
 
12.33am Sleepless nights. I wish I had the answer to this problem but I don't. I suppose I am getting 8 hours sleep in each 24 hour period but gee it would be nice to be able to sleep at the same time as the rest of the world. I wouldn't really mind if I was lying here in pain but things are pretty controlled right now. Sure I could take an Endone tablet and fall asleep for the next two hours but I certainly don't want to develop a dependance on this drug.
 
Mike...Congrats on being "home". I have been following your threads and you are doing great. As to the sleepless nights, my surgery was the 6th of Sept. and I still have troubles sleeping. At least now I am sleeping in the bed and the last two nights I have gotten more sleep. I guess its just something that has to work itself out! Keep up the great work. Melanie
 
Unfortunately the sleep problems are part of recovery Mike. Don't fight it. Things will settle in time. That's why it's so important to nap during the day if you can.
 
Thanks Melanie and Jaycey for your reassurance but honestly I had no idea how bad late night TV was...
 
It's bad on purpose - to make you bored and sleeply.:heehee:
 
Hi Mike

Hopefully you will get some naps in today.. Sleeping is scientifically when most of the healing happens.. So snooze......

Hugs
 
Good morning Poppet,

Yep I will get some snooze time. But first we are going to the aquatic centre for some exercise. A snoozy afternoon and then my daily walk before dinner (and Targin). That's the plan. Did you sort your ISP out?

hugs

Mike
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom