Guest viewing is limited

THR AussieMike returns

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey AussieMike,

Poppet invited me over for some fun! I am sure that you "hippies" know how to have a good time too. Our surgery's are different, and I don't know how long the normal return to a full recovery is for a hip, but I came to learn and to laugh! :happydance: I am a very shy person after all, so I am just expanding my horizon! :whistle:

Yeah right...... Sonja, shy... I think not... She is a party girl! RestAssured; .... Hugs..

Let the party begin! [Bonesmart.org] AussieMike returns
 
Yes I read on someone else's thread that Poppet was behind your presence here. What can I say - you hang round with the best of company. Poppet is a legend.

Aaaw shucks... now I am blushing Mike...
 
Hi Mike, I see the dreaded sciatic pain in your update from today. Hope it's controlled. I was plagued by that post op. Everything is shifting back to balanced walking. Sounds like you are doing very well!
 
Hi Jaycey,

I am doing so very well. I am so thrilled with my progress. The sciatic pain was something I expected. Before the operation my SI joint was locked for about 5 weeks. I expected this period of adjustment as this new freedom of movement will require some adjustment.

The only things I have found that give me relief from sciatic pain at this point are 1) Endone (not preferred) 2) Ice and 3) Walking. I would be grateful if you have any other strategies I can try.

Thanks for stopping by,

Mike
 
Well, I can relate to the sciatic pain! It got to the point where the only time I felt relief was in the bent over position. I had a MIS done in 2005, and they went in and removed pieces of crushed vertebrae at the L-4-5 region, drilled a hole through the side of one of the vertebrae, and pushed the sciatic nerve through. Recovery was 2 weeks, and that was in 2005. I have not had any pain since then! :happydance:
 
Well Mike, you are doing exactly what worked for me - ice and walking. Once you get moving things ease up. If that SI joint was locked it needs a bit of activity to free up again. Just keep moving is my motto!
 
Thanks Jaycey! Exactly the words of encouragement I needed to hear. I have been a little constrained by the footwear which I brought with me. However tonight my younger son who competes in Iron Man and triathlon events, will bring me my joggers and fit them with elastic shoe laces so that I can use these to do some walking around the local streets.
 
Well, I can relate to the sciatic pain! It got to the point where the only time I felt relief was in the bent over position. I had a MIS done in 2005, and they went in and removed pieces of crushed vertebrae at the L-4-5 region, drilled a hole through the side of one of the vertebrae, and pushed the sciatic nerve through. Recovery was 2 weeks, and that was in 2005. I have not had any pain since then! :happydance:

Wow Sonja, I am sorry you had to go through all that to find relief. Its one of the humbling things on Bonesmart that you don't have to look far to find someone who has been through things that make your situation seem trivial. Glad you got it sorted for good - that is very cool.
 
CURRENT DATE: Monday 8th October
Procedure: LTHR
Post Op: 14 days
Location: Rehabilitation Hospital
Current Weight: 76.5kg / 170Ib
Target Weight: 70kg / 154bIb

CURRENT ISSUES:
Siatic Pain
Muscle weakness in left glute
Muscle weakness in left calf
Poor sleep patterns

ACHIEVEMENTS TO DATE:
1. Got out of bed independently
2. Stood in place with walking frame
3. Walked 6 meters to bathroom
4. Used bathroom independently
5. Took shower seated with assistance
6. Dressed with assistance
7. Walked 30 meters with a walking frame
8. Walked 10 meters with 2 crutches
9. Walked up and down 1 step repeatedly
10. Showered standing independently
11. Dressed independently (except TED socks)
12. Walked 100 meters with 2 crutches
13. Walked up and down the 6 step mini-stairs
14. Walked down and up 2 flights of stairs (total 60 stairs)
15. Hip Flexion 90 degrees
16. Hip Abduction 30 degrees
17. Supporting my roomie and new friend David on his journey
18. Making people happy and positive
19. Walking with two walking sticks
20. Walking with one walking stick
21. Commenced hydrotherapy program
22. 30 seconds of continuous kicking against the Hydrojets
23. 60 second Plank
24. Breaststroke / Backstroke in the pool

CURRENT PAIN MANAGEMENT:

Targin every 12 hours
5 mg Endone every 3-4 hours upon request
Gabapentin every 12 hours
Panadol every 6 hours
Aspirin 150mg per day
Ice packs as required

TODAY'S FOOD PLAN:

Breakfast
Porridge, skim milk, wholemeal toast, honey, apple juice, black tea.
Lunch
Assorted sandwiches, fresh fruit, low fat milk black tea
Dinner
Tomato soup, Mongolian lamb with seasonal vegetables, apple & rhubarb crumble.

TODAY'S FOCUS:
1. Hydrotherapy session @ 9am
2. Physio session @ 10am
3. Physio session @ 1pm
4. Walk around block @ 4pm

NOTES:

07.27 Another disrupted night's sleep from sciatic pain. The requirement to sleep on my back makes it difficult to find a position which is pain free. I continue to use ice and Endone to relief this pain and grab what sleep I can.

12.07 Had a little setback this morning. My physio session starts at 9am and I was rushing to shower and dress for the pool in time. I broke the 90 degree rule in putting on my clothes. Not consciously or knowingly. I walked to the physio section of the hospital and the pain started to radiate from my upper thigh and groin region. I went back to bed and was given 10 mg Endone and drifted off to sleep. I am still a bit tired but most important the hip feels fine. Lesson learned.

13.55 Doctor arrived and checked that I had not done any damage to the operated leg or the placement of the prosthesis. I then went to a catch-up physio session. We focused on hip flexion, hip abduction, plank, leg curls, straight leg raises. Still a bit out of it from the dose of Endone but all the same a useful session.

17.15 Sometimes taking Endone seems to have a more profound effect than at other times. I don't pretend to understand that. The dose I took this morning when experiencing strong pain has left me feeling tired and listless. A bit of a lost day I am afraid.
 
Hello there Mike, I'm just having a little catch up, wowza, you are doing rather fantastic. Must say I am gobsmacked by all of your activity. For the first few weeks post op I mostly sat in my special chair with litte tootles around the downstairs and bathroom visits....that's it. I didn't have a choice though as I was none weightbearing for six weeks but I am quite exhausted just reading about your exercise regime.lol.

Great journal BTW, that will be a big help to other members who come along and excellent for you to read back on when all of this just seems like a ( little bit bad) dream :) It's amazing how fast the time goes by and you forget much of what hapened.

It will be great to get those trainers with elastc laces on and go for a little walk..take care

Ann
 
Hi Ann,

Lovely to hear from you. It's not really fair to you to compare our journeys. I think being non weight-bearing for so long would have been so hard. As I continue to say, I am a fortunate. So I hope that anyone who reads my threads in the future clearly understand that I am an example of what happens when everything works out.

Glad you like the journal - its already very useful for me to read back over the achievements and recognise how far I have come in a short time. It actually makes the sciatic pain feel better!

My joggers are arriving this evening and I can't wait! Look out world - here I come (slowly).

Cheers

Mike
 
Wow Sonja, I am sorry you had to go through all that to find relief. Its one of the humbling things on Bonesmart that you don't have to look far to find someone who has been through things that make your situation seem trivial. Glad you got it sorted for good - that is very cool.
Mike,

Thanks, but I don't feel like I am less fortunate than others! I have been through 4 knee surgeries due to MRSA, the left knee was fine, the right knee has been through 3 surgeries. A lot of other stuff has happened in my life as well but you know what? I make the choice every day when I get up to be better or bitter, and I choose better! God has always been with me especially through the rough spots and I could not ask for more! :happydance: "Life's a Dance" :angel:
 
Well said Sonja. The only place for bitters is mixed with lemonade and lime over ice...
 
Hi Mike, try putting a pillow under your knees when you sleep on your back. It eases the stress on the spine and makes things a bit more comfy!
 
Hi Jaycey

Yep that is one of my current tricks - together with ice on the left SI joint; ice on the left shin and ice on the left hip incision. When I am outta tricks I call for Endone. Its becoming a pattern almost every night.
 
Hi Mike,
Well done on your recovery so far and your wonderful descriptive journal. You are doing amazingly well, and will be scooting up all those steps when you get home in no time. I was interested in reading your recent post about past sciatic problems and the MIS surgery to correct the issue. I have had back issues with my L5 for decades and feel one day I too will undergo surgery to correct it. A pillow under my knees helps me get some sleep when the disc herniates, I can vouch for that suggestion Sonja.
take care and pat on the back for you Mike your well on the road to a speedy recovery.
cheers
 
Thanks Mike it's good to see you are getting on well too, how's your laces? They are great I found, makes life so much easier but no jogging for you yet lol I put aside the mountain climbing for now.(never done it in my life:loll: ) take care x
 
Thanks Mike it's good to see you are getting on well too, how's your laces? They are great I found, makes life so much easier but no jogging for you yet lol I put aside the mountain climbing for now.(never done it in my life:loll: ) take care x

Good evening Meatfree,

My joggers didn't quite make it in here tonight. My son had to work late on his project in the office. No matter, one day makes no difference. Success in this project will ensure him an offer of employment with the best company in his chosen field. Small price for a father to pay.

Cheers

Mike
 
Aw good luck for your son, good things come to those who wait :)What time is it there at the moment, are you behind or ahead always forget. Are you off to bed?
 
Consider the physio room, its a fascinating place.

A place where individual journeys cross paths for just a few short days. There is the physio who has seemingly unlimited kindness and encouragement who patients tend to be drawn towards like iron fillings to a magnet. There are the physiotherapists who are nearing the end of their careers who have done this a million times before and have no emotional attachment left to give.

And the patients. The quiet ones who have just arrived in their world of pain and uncertainty. The sociable ones who are making the best of every day as it may be a long time before they feel the sun shine on their broken backs; The attention seekers who need someone to understand how much each exercise hurts as if it will somehow lessen their pain; The old ones who are resigned to life never being pain free again. They have a deep sadness in their eyes and their sentences are very considered and infrequent.

And then there is me, the youngest person in the room. Initially feeling a little out of place and wondering why I am here so soon. But the longer I stay, the more I understand the opportunity. Perhaps I am here for more than just healing. Maybe I am here to learn about aging, about empathy, about hope and the human condition. As the days tick by I understand that I have the opportunity to heal and to pass along the words of encouragement and kindness that so many need; here to make people laugh with one of my silly stories or jokes; here to inspire others towards their own healing as they see it happening for me.

I am fortunate to be given such an opportunity.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom