Guest viewing is limited

TKR Aug 20 hard work.

Yes, we all have that. It goes away eventually.
 
My doctor said to try and desensitize it by drifting a hand towel over it as much as I could stand it. I couldn't stand it much, but it did work. Or maybe it just got better on its own.
 
Yes, I put on some capris yesterday that had a seam in the front and Neil said, "Uh uh, you're not wearing these.
 
Went for a check up. Said I was doing well. Rom was 113. I told him I was happy with that. He just said keep doing all of your stretches. Go back in 6 weeks. Have to ice leg is swollen now
 
Went for a check up. Said I was doing well. Rom was 113. I told him I was happy with that. He just said keep doing all of your stretches. Go back in 6 weeks. Have to ice leg is swollen now
Sounds like an excellent checkup, and that ROM sounds pretty comfortable to me!!! :yay: :wow:

My TKR was just a week before yours, and I had my checkup last Monday. In my case, he didn't actually measure ROM, but instead just gently pushed my knee into flexing and extension manually, and evaluated what he saw subjectively. He wants me to do one gentle exercise for extension. I go back in two months.

I am still icing off and on daily, too, although this week my swelling seems to be less than before.
 
What exercise did he tell you to do.?my knee really hurts now because of the rom checking.
 
My surgeon always pushed my knee to a painful place to get the highest number. At my 4 month check he was not satisfied with the number and did it again. :hairpulling: That was the last time I allowed him to touch me.

My next check ups were at 7 months and 12 months and I told him I’d bend it myself. He liked us laying on the exam table which gave him easy access to his patient’s leg so he could bend it.

At those last two appointments I stayed in the chair. I haven’t gone back since.
 
What exercise did he tell you to do.?my knee really hurts now because of the rom checking.
Just to sit on my bed, with my leg out in front of me, and then push the back of my knee gently down onto the bedspread (just with the muscles of my knee, not my hand). He didn't say how long to hold it or how many times to do it each day, but he wanted me to do that exercise once a day.

I had a very bad experience with overly aggressive PT at his PT facility earlier that week, and he knew it. I quit PT because of that. So, he probably had that in mind.

I doubt I will ever see a ROM of 113, but also I doubt I will ever care. :rotfl: I mean really; all I want to do is walk through a grocery store or down the street, and whatever ROM I have is good enough for that.
 
Last edited:
At those last two appointments I stayed in the chair.
That's what I did too. For flexion I just slid my foot as far under my chair as it would *comfortably* go. I was wrong in my previous post where I said he pushed it gently; now that I think of it, he didn't even touch me for flexion. For extension he lifted my foot for me but did not push down on my knee or do anything forceful (and I didn't do much either).
 
Oh my knee. Is so mad. I hurt. Back on the pills today. It makes me so mad people just don’t care what they do to you. Next time iam going to ask him have you ever had your knee replaced
 
I’m so sorry. I know just how you feel. :console2:
 
Praise God my OS never touched my knee. All he did was hold my foot up to see my extension. Then he put it down very gently. I sat in the chair each time.

Next visit, take control and tell him that you will move your leg yourself. What's he going to do, fire you?! You are the employer and the boss of your knee. Baby that thing.
 
Oh he won’t touch it again. Still swollen. I had to put jogging pants on going to an outing and it’s cold here. I can’t stand it touching my scar. This is miserable. But don’t know what else to do
 
When I had to wear long pants I wrapped my leg with an ace bandage. This kept the pant's leg from rubbing the scar. That sensitivity of yours should go away in a few weeks or so.
 
Just wanted to say that I'm so thankful I can read these posts from those of you that have had your surgery around the same time as mine and realize that we all go through a lot recovering from this surgery. My recovery hit a bump in the road and now I have to have an outpatient procedure next week to clean out a small portion of the wound and re-stitch. Seems I had an internal stitch not dissolving properly and caused an abscess. Now, incision hurts all over again after OS probed around in there yesterday to remove the stitch. But, it all will be worth it in the end to get our lives back.
 
They used glue on me. I had one spot that was real thick. It finally fell off last week. The skin underneath was raw. That worried me but he said let the air get to it. So hopefully it goes well
 
I had a terrible time with the glue. I had it slopped all over me and it caused a really, really annoying amount of skin irritation. Once it's off, your skin should recover very quickly.
 
Today is a bad day.i will be 7 weeks Tuesday.i feel I should be having more good days than bad. I am not. Iam so discourage .
 
:console2: I’m going to tell you what I told Looloo earlier this afternoon:

This recovery takes and average of a year, which is 52 weeks. You are 7 weeks. You have lots more healing to do.

Recently I compared this recovery to baking cookies. My chocolate chip cookies take 12 minutes to completely bake. If I take them out earlier, at 2 minutes, 4, 8 or whatever, they will only be partially baked, and not all that tasty, because they’re not done yet.

The same is true of our knee at 2 months, or 3 months, etc. It needs time to finish healing.

Try not to let it get you down, we all felt like you do.
 
Recently I compared this recovery to baking cookies. My chocolate chip cookies take 12 minutes to completely bake. If I take them out earlier, at 2 minutes, 4, 8 or whatever, they will only be partially baked, and not all that tasty, because they’re not done yet.
This is brilliant. I am now going to tell Beloved that I am a cookie. We need the laugh.
 

Members online

No members online now.
Back
Top Bottom