TKR Aug 20 hard work.

I asked my surgeon about when I'd be able to drive. His response was, "Usually 4-6 weeks, but in your case, it's a right knee so I think probably 6-7 weeks." My right knee had extra problems so that's probably why he added that week. Today I am at 5 weeks and do not feel ready to drive quite yet. Anyway, I am scheduled to see him next at 7 weeks plus one day, so I am going to ask again about driving then. I am retired and do not work, and I have zero reason to have to drive. I am in no hurry although I do miss having that independence.

And yes, I got my Lounge Doctor on Amazon too.
 
Following my right TKR, I did not drive until 6 1/2 weeks. I had loadsof lingering swelling/inflammation and even when I WAS beginning to drive again, I couldn't go very far. I only drove the 8 minuntes to PT and then home for the next week or two. It was exhausting and made the knee extra sore if I drove too long. By the 8-9 wk mark, I was driving 20-25 minutes at a time. I had a post-op appointment at 9 wks, and my surgeon is 50 minutes from home. THAT was exhausting for my knee.
 
How long did it take anyone to drive again. Having the right knee done. Just wondering.
My OS released me to drive at 6 weeks, but I wasn't comfortable then, so I waited til 7 weeks. I took a friend with me to an empty parking lot and then got in the driver's seat. I wanted to be certain that I could do an emergency stop. I did OK, then that Sunday I drove, with her with me, to church and back home. Then I knew I was OK. Freedom!
 
Ok. Thank you. Really no where to go right now.my husband is going on a fishing trip in 3 weeks. I will be 7 weeks. Just hoping I can go to store if need be. Kind of getting stir crazy.
I have read so much on here. So not sure who said it. But the ones that did not go to pt. Did your dr. Get upset with you for not going. Just wondering.i have done 4 weeks in home. They want me to go out now and do it. I don’t want to.i have read to many horror stories. I had my left knee done 6 years ago. And they hurt me. My leg sometimes will tingle and that dr said he thinks they did something in therapy. So just wondering
 
But the ones that did not go to pt. Did your dr. Get upset with you for not going.
I'm the one that never took PT after 11 surgeries. I never told my doctors and they never asked. They were pleased with my outcome and function. That's all that mattered to them. You don't have to tell your OS everything. It's your knee and your decision.
 
I was permitted to drive the short distance (7 miles) from my home to school when I returned to work at 5 1/2 weeks. At 7 weeks I was officially cleared to drive as needed.
 
Your OS may never know whether you go or not. I wouldn’t worry about it.
 
Really no where to go right now.my husband is going on a fishing trip in 3 weeks. I will be 7 weeks. Just hoping I can go to store if need be.
Maybe you can fill your cupboards and your freezer before he leaves. Then you won't *have* to go to the store while he is on his fishing trip, even though you will probably be able to drive to the store if you still want to.

My sweetie and I have already decided that when I start driving, first I am going to try it in big empty parking lots, then quiet residential streets, and so on, and that he will always be with me at first in case my knee gets tired out.
 
I had PT for six weeks, but I think I could have gone for a shorter time. Once you learn the exercises you can do them on your own. I liked the reassurance of checking in with the PT with my second knee, but I had a good one who didn't force anything and basically told me to use my judgment on how many repetitions etc to do.
 
This is depressing. One day I feel great.next day hurt like heck.
 
This is a knee replacement's recovery schedule!
[Bonesmart.org] Aug 20 hard work.
 
This is depressing. One day I feel great.next day hurt like heck.
Recovery is such a roller coaster. One day you'll feel great and start planning a few things, and the next day you're back to spending the day in bed barely able to watch tv. Ask me how my weekend went? lol

I spend a LOT of time here on the forum. It keeps me company and helps me when I see everyone else with their ups and downs and knowing that it's all perfectly normal, no matter how exhausting and frustrating.

What are you doing do stay occupied? TV? Movies? I learned to knit after my first surgery so that I wouldn't be quite so bored the second time around.
 
Well as you can see I am up already. Hard night. I watch tv. Read. Yes I like to read on here see how everyone else is doing. Everyone is so different. I have not been out much. Maybe just to eat a couple of times. I take my ice and put my leg up in the booth. Some people may look at me but oh well.
 
Good morning! I'm always an early riser, so this is nothing new for me.
I love to read, but I find I still can't focus well enough for the books I carefully stocked up on my kindle. It's a bit annoying really, all this time to read, but no brains! I read fluff right now, and I've watched more streaming in the last 3 months than probably the last 3 years!
The people who look at you can just look. Lots of people have knee issues for all kinds of reasons and I've seen people with their leg up in all kinds of places. It's nice that you can get out a bit. I've been housebound a long time with both knees such a mess, but I really miss my weekly outing to the grocery store. lol. Such an exciting life!

I can't wait to figure out how to have a real life now that I can do exciting things like stand, and walk. My first big goal is to be able to go up and down curbs instead of shuffling over to the wheel chair ramps.
 
I slept 8 hours in my bed. Can’t believe it. I actually feel human today. Now if the swelling goes down a bit.
 
8 hours, that's great! I don't even do that now. Try icing and elevating more to try and get that swelling down.
 
Icing and elevating will help the swelling, but don't get in a hurry for it go just go. I'm one of the lucky types who has insane swelling for about 6 weeks. It's just annoyingly normal for me. You'll find out what is normal for you.
 
Icing and elevating will help the swelling, but don't get in a hurry for it go just go. I'm one of the lucky types who has insane swelling for about 6 weeks. It's just annoyingly normal for me. You'll find out what is normal for you.
Well pooh. It's been 6 weeks and a day for me so far, I ice several times every day, and my swelling is still insane!!! :rotfl: Must be genetic. :heehee:
 
It’s like it feels ok. I get up and I can walk or do some stretches. Then instant it is tight again. I go put it up and ice.i hope this doesn’t go on for months
 
It’s like it feels ok. I get up and I can walk or do some stretches. Then instant it is tight again. I go put it up and ice.i hope this doesn’t go on for months
I hope it doesn't either! How aggravating.
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom